May 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Vitamins

Our very first Product Spotlight! We'll do "non-registry" items to start us off. 

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on these threads throughout your time at the board, not just during its week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week we're talking.... Vitamins!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For all...

What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why?
What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before these? Why the switch?
Any other vitamins you are taking & why?
Anything else related to vitamins to add?

For STMs/STM+s...

Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies?
Why/why not?
**TW**
Me: 35 | H: 40
Married Sept. 2013
DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
BFP!  8/24/19
DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

Re: Product Spotlight: Vitamins

• I’m taking Target brand (up&up I think?) non gummy prenatal vitamins plus a vit D and fish oil. I liked that target has 800 of folic acid vs 600 in the other brands. 
    Me: 30   DH: 29
    Together: 3/2007
    Married: 5/30/2015
    BFP #1: 9/14/2015
    EDD: 5/20/2016
  • I'm taking the Naturemade Prenatal + DHA.  I took it with DS and he's pretty great, so I figured I'd stick to it.  I've been taking it for over a year now and never had any nausea or anything from it.  I will say if one of the capsules breaks, it will make the whole container smell like dead fish, so THAT'S pretty awful, but it's only happened to me once.  I think I threw out the whole bottle.  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Loading the player...
  • @rnstudentbsn I took the Target Up & Up brand last pregnancy!

Some back story. My first pregnancy/birth messed me up pretty good, so for the last year and a half I've been working with different doctors to get my health back in order.

As for now I am currently taking a private label Multivitamin from my Functional Medicine practitioner as well as their Omega 3, Liquid Vitamin D3 w/K2, Thyroid support, and probiotic. On top of that I have some live probiotics from my new FM practitioner. I also have Thorne Research B-Complex and Magnesium Bisglycinate powder (this one I only take on occasion and helps with my sleep and restless legs).

Once I finish what I currently have I will choose a new prenatal. I may go with Thorne Research, Smarty Pants Organics, or some food grade prenatal. I'm not too sure yet.

On top of the vitamins, I really am going to try and eat a wide variety of foods. I will try to continue with eggs and leafy greens as long as I can stomach them, I will probably try to sneak in some organ meats in my diet too. I plan on eating Whole30 as a base, altered with my food sensitivities, and focus on plant rich diet with meats as a compliment.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• I'm taking Mega Foods Baby & Me 2 because I have an MTHFR mutation, so i need folate instead of folic acid. My RE also has me on prescription folic acid, B12, and B6. None of it makes me sick, but I take it with food, just in case. 

With DD, I took Honest Co. prenatal with folate. With DS I took Nature Made which has folic acid. I didn't know about the MTHFR then and interestingly, DS has a sacral dimple which for him is harmless, but can be a problem for some people. I wonder if it's because my body wasn't absorbing enough of the folic acid because of the MTHFR. Speculation, obviously, but still interesting. 
  • I'm also taking Naturemade + DHA.  It was the first one I tried when TTC my daughter, and I had no issues with it so I've stuck with it ever since.
  • +1 for Mega Foods Baby & Me 2. I also take Garden of Life Oceans Mom Prenatal DHA.

With DS I also took Mega Foods Baby & Me but 2 wasn't out yet so I swallowed all 4 horse pills.
  • I’m loving Pink Stork, I found them on Amazon. 
    Taking the folate, liquid prenatal, DHA, and pre/probiotic. 
  • +1 more for NatureMade + DHA. It worked for me with DD, so I’m just sticking with it.
  • Currently taking Thorne basic prenatal which was recommended by my nutritional therapist since I have had severe HG with my other pregnancies she thought this one would be better for me. It also has folate instead of folic acid but I forgot why that was important lol. 
    I took New Chaper and Garden of Life my previous two pregnancies and had no issues with them. Because of my constant vomiting I need a vitamin I can take on an empty stomach so they have to be whole food vitamins. 🤢🤮
    I also take Standard Process Magnesium Lactate and an anti nausea blend that has D3/K1 and B6 plus some other herbs like peppermint and ginger. 
  • What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why? I'm taking One a Day Prenatal because it has 800 mcg of folic acid and also 28 mg of iron.  Also, it was on sale.  I figured it seemed good enough for TTC.  
    What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before these? Why the switch?  I plan on talking to my doctor.  If the doctor has no preference, I may switch to something more natural.  
    Any other vitamins you are taking & why?  No.
    Anything else related to vitamins to add?  Does anyone else hate the way the vitamin "repeats"?  The One a Day DHA soft gelcap makes me feel like I'm going to vomit fish.  
  • Same as last time around, I am taking the Nature Made Prenatal.  I initially took the one with DHA in my prior pregnancy, but then it started making me feel too queasy. I don’t eat fish (personal preference)  and pregnant the fish oil smell was too much for me. I drink DHA-supplemented milk (Horizon) that uses algae. Some milk uses fish oil, so if you are trying to avoid that, read labels closely! 
  • Smarty Pants. Available at target and amazon. I stuck with them last because they were the only kind I could keep down, and they’re gummy. I’m just assuming this time is going to be like last time. 
  • I’m using the Ritual Prenatals. They taste and smell like lemon and have 1000 mcg folate. Since we had a severe heart defect last pregnancy I am on an additional 4000 mcg folate daily as well. 
  • Walmart didn’t have the prenatal I used for my last three pregnancies so I went with Pink Stork. 
  • While TTC I was taking the First Response gummies because they were one of the only ones available where I live. Now I’ve ordered Smarty Pants from amazon because I’d like to try and add DHA. But I suck at swallowing pills of any kind, so I need to stick with gummies.
  • catem07catem07 member
    edited September 2019
    What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why?
    I'm just taking the naturemade women's multi. My dr said as long as it has folic acid it's fine. 
    What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before these? Why the switch?
    I took a variety of kinds my last pregnancy but I was sick a lot first tri so I was very inconsistent because the thought of them made my stomach turn. 
    I was taking B6 for short LP. Will hold onto those in case I need them (+ unisom) for nausea. 
    I take a probiotic, which I've heard may not have clinical research to back them up but w/e. I have some GI issues. 

For STMs/STM+s...

no
    Why/why not?
    I don't feel like buying different ones. I have these on Amazon S&S (highly recommend doing that) so it's easy. 

ETA I forgot about DHA. I guess I should look into that. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why?
    Spring Valley Gummy Prenatal with DHA and folic acid. DS2 nursed for 3 years and those seemed to agree with me the most. I can’t really do large pills. 

I tried the nature made with DS1 but the after taste/smell just didn’t agree with me. 

Magnesium to help with RA and RLS. I usually manage with diet but nausea has left my diet pretty much nonexistent.

For STMs/STM+s...

Why/why not?
    Yes. I kept using the same ones PP while nursing DS2 and then we decided to TTC 6 months after he stopped nursing so I kept on taking prenatals. I’ve basically been taking the same ones for 5 years straight now. 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • I am taking Rainbow Light this time because they were cheaper when I ordered them from Amazon. Previously I’ve taken Nature Made and Nature Made with DHA. I have no complaints about any of them, but I remember Rainbow Light being recommended on my last BMB with DS2. 
  • edited September 2019
    @TattoosandLace I'm also taking Pink Stork. I really like them, but I noticed the calcium says it's only 7% of the recommended total, everything else was 100%. Are you taking a calcium supplement too?
  • @heatherlynn321 ooo! Good catch! I do take a calcium supplement. 
  • @TattoosandLace Thanks! I was wondering about that. This morning, my article of the day was about the levels your vitamins should include, so I looked at mine and was wondering if I should add calcium.