March 2020 Moms
Options

Sneak Peak and DNA

Hi Everyone -

I used to be pretty active on TK many years, but am making my way over over to TB. 

I wanted to see if anyone had experience with the early gender DNA tests (like Sneak Peak). 

I had this done this week, but based in online reviews I am really questioning the accuracy of my results.  

I searched and didn't see much discussion on this topic. I would love any thoughts or personal experiences you had with this product. 

Re: Sneak Peak and DNA

• Options
    You might want to pop this in the questions thread, but I can tell you I've heard these are pretty accurate. For me, I got the sex of my baby with DNA from the NIPT work done at the hospital (it was right with my son!). I was 11 weeks when I had that drawn. I've heard great things about Sneak Peak. In my mind, ESPECIALLY if it said boy, it should be right haha because why would that DNA be floating around in you. Good luck!
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    I've also heard it's very accurate if you follow the instructions EXACTLY. But my doctor is also doing the blood draw to check for abnormalities and it will tell us what we're having as well. Since I'm doing that test via my doctor there's no need for me to do the sneak peek. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took it at 11 weeks with twins. It said there was no Y chromosome so the interpretation was girls. Our maternal fetal medicine practitioner the very next week at 12 weeks said he agrees Baby B looks like a girl but he thinks Baby A looks like a boy. He will confirm either way at our 16 week ultrasound. So either sneak peak was wrong or the doctor isn’t good at interpreting early scans. We’ll see!
  • Options
    I did the Sneak Peek this week and it says i’m having a boy. BUT my SIL also did it and it said boy and at her recent appt(14 weeks) her doc looked and said he’s 95% sure it’s a girl. She’s having a 4D u/s this next week so we’ll see.

Ive heard great things but now it makes me question my results so we’ll see. I would say there’s more a chance of it being wrong if they say boy and it’s really a girl because any contamination with Y chromosome could give a false male result.
  • Options
    If you do it and make certain to follow the instructions carefully and dont contaminate the samples you're sending, it's great. I did it with my first last year and it was accurate.  My husband was all over the house and so I had to scrub clean the area I was using so his DNA wouldn't give a false Boy answer 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I agree with others that the test is very accurate if you follow their instructions. I just did it and got my results this past week. Besides, you can always have them confirm at the Anatomy Scan and if baby isn't the same sex as the results they gave you at birth, they'll refund you so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    @hellobabys Oooh I didn't realize they would refund you if the test proved to be inaccurate.  I did the Sneak Peek last Friday and sent it in.  I obviously haven't heard back yet, but making sure the test area isn't contaminated was basically the hardest part.  Any male in the house could potentially cause it to say the fetus is a boy.  If I get a boy result back, I think I'm going to be hesitant to actually believe it until the anatomy scan.  If it says a girl, then I think I'd feel more comfortable with it.
  • Options
    @malidocious as long as you cleaned the surface, genetic material doesn't just float around in the air, so you should be fine if no men were present. And when you get your results in the email it will mention the y chromosome DNA will have to meet a certain threshold, so I'd be equally confident regardless! Mine said boy and I felt like he was a boy before anyways. Worst case scenario, I was told at my anatomy scan with my DS that he was a girl, and we didn't find out otherwise til the delivery room! So I've lived through that before. It was a bit of a surprise, but you'd also be surprised how much literally nothing else matters the first time you see your baby. Fingers crossed regardless that your results are correct! They're over 99% accurate so I wouldn't worry honestly 🙂
  • Options
    I just got the email that my Sneak Peek sample has arrived and is being tested.  Results will be in tomorrow between 10 AM and 2 PM Pacific time.  I'm curious what it'll be, despite whether or not it's going to be accurate in the long run, hahaha.
  • Options
    @Malidocious I'll be lurking here for you to update! 
  • Options
    @hellobabys I definitely cleaned the area thoroughly!  I used my mom's guest bathroom, which no one EVER uses, but I still cleaned the surfaces and followed the directions exactly!  I am so excited for the results!!  I'll report back as soon as I get them, lol!
  • Options
    @Malidocious yay! So exciting! Congrats on the sweet boy! I love my lil dude. He is so funny and sweet. 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    @Malidocious CONGRATS!! Boys are really so sweet.
  • Options
    Thanks @silverhope and @hellobabys :)  I am excited!  My sister has a son who is going to be 3 in exactly one month from today, so I feel like I'm already partially prepared for what's in store for me!