Trying to Get Pregnant

September Baking/Cooking/Crafting thread

Share your pics, patterns, and recipes here!

Re: September Baking/Cooking/Crafting thread

• Question for the ladies who crochet. Is it quick and easy to learn (or in my case relearn)? I feel like there are so many cute things I could be making but can't because I haven't crocheted in at least 10 years. My skill was limited to one stitch and I only ever tried scarves. 
  • mindyb2019mindyb2019 member
    edited September 2019
    @emeraldduchess coming from someone who taught herself to crochet, yes it is totally quick and easy for you to relearn. Just take it one day at a time and restart with the one stitch you knew from before and then slowly add new stitches when your ready and before long you will be back into it. I was like you and only ever used one stitch and only ever made blankets and looked at all the stuff I could be making and be like “aww I wish I could make that” but I practiced and I picked it up so quickly and taught myself so many different, new and harder stitches from watching you tube lol. If I can do it, you can relearn to do it. You got this! 👍 I agree with you. There are sooo many cute things out there to make lol. I get over whelmed with all the cute projects 😆 
  • Loading the player...
  • gingermama29gingermama29 member
    edited September 2019
    @emeraldduchess yes definitely! I learned when I was a kid and stopped for a bunch of years. I picked it back up in college and haven't stopped since. I've used youtube to learn stitches I didn't know and when I started again, I found crocheting  came right back to me!

Edited for autocorrect. 
  • Just here to reaffirm what others have said. Super easy to relearn and more, especially with YouTube.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @emeraldduchess So exciting!! What do you want to make?
    me: 35 / so: 34 | ttc #1 since 9/2018
    DX: MFI
    IVF Cycle #1 February 2020 4 embryos frozen, 1 fresh transfer = CP 
    FET #1 Natural Cycle March 2020 CXL'd due to Covid-19 :( 
    FET #1 Natural Cycle June 2020 - CP #2
    FET #2 Natural Cycle July 2020 - BFP!!!!!! Beta #1 = 273

June Signature Challenge - Favorite TV Quotes

• @mvt2003 I saw some cute coasters, blankets, hats, etc.  I like the idea of being able to make something round without double pointed needles. I watched a few videos yesterday. I probably won't go out and buy hooks until I finish my current knitting project. 
  • @emeraldduchess you’re a stronger woman than I am! I wouldn’t be able to resist going out and buying them today! I keep meaning to try crocheting drink holders, I’ve seen some super cute Disney ones!!! 

• @BusinessWife your DH did a good job. I have never even eaten apple butter before lol but looks tasty. 
  • @BusinessWife that apple butter looks so yummy and perfect for fall! I always say apples and apple cider are the stars of September and pumpkin can take a back seat until October. :)

I watched several crochet tutorials and I think I can successfully make some things once I get some hooks. I saw the cutest Christmas wreath coasters on Ravelry. I am definitely making those for my mom and my MIL! Granny square afghans seem pretty doable right away, too. Honestly the only thing stopping me from running out and buying them right now is the fact that I have had to spend a lot of $$ on school supplies over the last two weeks and I don't get paid again until Friday!

Another questions for the knitters/crocheters. Is there an online store that you like to buy your yarn from? I only have Michael's, Walmart and Joann's (aside from some specialty yarn stores that only have super-expensive yarn). I can usually find some good stuff at Michael's but I haven't been too impressed with the selection lately. 
  • @emeraldduchess thata girl!, 😁 the wreath coasters sound cool. I wanna see pics of all your projects when your done. I personally don’t buy yarn online at all. Im one of those people who like to touch and feel the yarn before buying it lol. I’m like you and I buy all my crochet hooks and yarn and supplies at Michaels. I find they have the best selection. I gotta head out to the store today actually. I’ve boughten the odd thing at Walmart but usually mostly Micheals. 
  • @mindyb2019 I definitely prefer to feel the yarn at the store. I'm thinking more along the lines of getting colors that Michael's doesn't carry. Our local Walmart has the saddest craft section imaginable. 
  • @emeraldduchess thanks!  Yeah, us too.  We are not quite yet on the pumpkin train yet.  To be fair, it was a team effort, so I'm glad between his obsessing about it, me making him stop and actually pick up a half peck of apples from the roadstand, convincing him to just try an instant pot version to make our lives easier, and him running canning operations, I'm proud of us for making it happen!  Looking forward to lots more canning this year....
  • @emeraldduchess ya I know the feeling. Our Walmart has the most hurting craft section too. I totally thought of you today. I just came back from Micheals and I was standing in the yarn aisle looking at and touching them all lol....and a lady in there was like “excuse me”, can I ask you a question? I’m like of course, go ahead. She said that she used to crochet when she was younger but hasn’t for a really long time and was re teaching herself to crochet and asked me some questions about the yarn size and hook size and what certain things were for etc. she’s gonna make a blanket. Made me think of you cause you had just asked about relearning to crochet and hadn’t for like 10 years. Apparently your not alone and everyone is wanting to relearn to crochet haha. 😆😉
  • @emeraldduchess I love Knit Picks for yarn selection, I’ve been very happy with the price and quality! 

• To all you crochet ladies out there, does your fingers and hands ever cramp up and hurt from crocheting for a really long time? I have been doing a lot of crocheting over the past 2 days non stop and man does my fingers on my left hand really hurt and ache along with my whole arm. 

• @mindyb2019 I knit and my hands/wrists do get crampy if I spend a lot of time knitting for several days. It's tough to take a break when you're on a roll, though! 

@mvt2003 I've been checking out Knit Picks and they have some really nice stuff! I typically use 100% acrylic because it's easy to care for. I am a little intimidated by some of these "fancier" yarns but they are so pretty!  
  • @mindyb2019 I do get tight sometimes - I try to take breaks, and watch how tightly I'm holding the hook. You can also get larger hooks that are easier to hold, that helps with the hand pain. 

@emeraldduchess The nice thing about fancier yarns is that they're so yummy to knit with! I've got a neverending log cabin baby blanket on the needles with Knit Picks Comfy worsted (it's washable!) and those sweaters I've knit are with Knit Picks Stroll sock yarn (also superwash wool!) My best suggestion is to start with a blend like either of those, and then the care really isn't much different than acrylic really. I always recommend cold gentle cycle. 

• @emeraldduchess I agree with you. It’s totally hard to take a break when your on a roll lol. I’ll be like oh, I’ll stop just after I finish this row and then like 3 -4 rows later lol 

@mvt2003 ya I am using a larger hook. Weird. Maybe it’s because I haven’t crocheted that long for quite a while. My hand will get used to it again lol. 
  • @BusinessWife - yum that looks so good! My SO is also talking a lot about making apple butter and pumpkin butter soon!
  • @mindyb2019 iiiiiiii am definitely going to need that recipe please. That looks and sounds amazing.
  • @gingermama29 I’ll send you the recipe through a PM 😁 it is amazing.  
  • Yum @mindyb2019 looks great!!! (It's always even tastier when someone else makes it too, am I right?! :D

• @mvt2003 omg your so right. Def tastier when someone else makes it lol 
  • @bluetickgal those look so yummy! I am a firm believer in "no pumpkin before October" (I'm weird about flavors) but October 1st I am making SO much pumpkin stuff! Where did you get the recipe?
  • @bluetickgal coming from a person that hates everything pumpkin, those actually look really tasty lol. 
  • @emeraldduchess thanks! I can respect that! I haven’t had a PSL yet, but I’ll make these basically any time of year! Haha. It’s my mom’s recipe, not really sure where she got it. I’ll try and remember to post it tomorrow...but right now, I’m in my comfy bed, and the recipe is downstairs! 

@mindyb2019 haha, these don’t taste super pumpkiny I don’t think...to me, they are the perfect balance between sweet & spice! 
  • @bluetickgal I think that’s why they look so yummy and tasty to me is because they don’t really look super pumpkiny ( is that even a word!?) haha. They just look super sweet and moist lol. 
  • @inthewoods23 I. Am. Drooling. Omg that looks killer!!!!

• @bluetickgal can you post or PM me that recipe? It's supposed to be chilly here this week so I might want to try some fall baking and those look delicious! 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • @mvt2003 the chimmichurri sauce is like when I discovered how amazing verde salsa and guacamole is. SUPER YUMMY. Like scoop it with a spoon and eat it good 😅
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @inthewoods23 omg that looks sooo good. Your DH did good 😁

• @mindyb2019 yes, they are the most moist muffins I’ve ever had! Haha, not sure that pumpkiny is a word, but I used it too! 

@millpe yes, I’m posting the recipe in a spoiler below. Sorry, I’ve been MIA this weekend! Hope you enjoy them! 

I only make 18 instead of 2 dozen...and my oven also cooks faster, so I only bake them like 25ish minutes. 
  • @bluetickgal man it still nice to see that people still use those good old school recipe cards lol makes me think of my mom ❤️ I’ve got boxes full of those things with recipes. I love them. Everything is so online now a days. 
  • So given our sweet Peggy visit this weekend, I thought this cross stitch pattern should be shared! I'm hoping to start it as soon as I finish my SiL's Christmas gift (Missy Elliott quote). 

https://metrocozy.com/make/diy-hocus-pocus-cross-stitch-pattern/