January 2020 Moms

PGAL Check-in w/o 8/28

This thread is a safe place for those who are pregnant after a loss. (PGAL). If you have suffered a loss please feel free to answer the questions below and keep things going throughout the week as a continuing conversation.  

If you haven’t suffered a loss, please refrain from answering the questions, but know we welcome anyone who wants to come in and support the PGAL ladies and their milestones with encouragement or love tits! Thank you!  

1. How many weeks are you? 

2. Previous loss(es)? 

3. How are you feeling? Emotionally and physically? 

4. Any appointment updates? 

5. Rants/Raves/Questions? 

6. Any milestones coming up?

7. GTKY: What is your favorite comfort food?

Re: PGAL Check-in w/o 8/28

• 1. How many weeks are you? 18w3d

2. Previous loss(es)? 1/19

3. How are you feeling? Emotionally and physically? I'm alright on both fronts, if emotional. Not puking my guts up this week, so yay! 

4. Any appointment updates? Regular OB was yesterday. Everything is fine and my blood pressure is lower. So happy! 

5. Rants/Raves/Questions? I'm groovy tunes. 

6. Any milestones coming up? Every day at this point. I'm patiently waiting 20w.

7. GTKY: What is your favorite comfort food? My soul food is Seoul Food. Bibimbap with a ton of pepper paste and extra Kimchi...in a stone bowl, of course. Once, I was sick, and the ajumas didn't even let me order. They brought me spicy soup, bibimbap, and kept coming over and dumping more Kimchi and pepper paste into the bowl. Gotta say, it cleared up my sinuses and broke my fever! 
  • 1. How many weeks are you? 19 weeks 

2. Previous loss(es)? 6 losses. 12/13, 1/17, 11/17, 4/19, 9/18c 2/19

3. How are you feeling? Emotionally and physically? Physically my energy has returned. I started an iron supplement again and it seems to be helping. Dh is appreciating the help again lol. Emotionally I’m still on the rollercoaster and just want to get off the ride. 

4. Any appointment updates? MFM w/ hopefully an amnio 9/4

5. Rants/Raves/Questions? I think I’m going to have to switch sides of the bed. I can’t for the life of me get comfortable on mine. I’ve been trying to sleep on my left side but I like to face away from dh and that’s on my right. 

6. Any milestones coming up? Getting this amnio done with great results 🤞

7. GTKY: What is your favorite comfort food? Carbs or soup. Also, chicken Marsala is a favorite of mine but only the way my dad makes it. It’s so freaking good!

@FyreFlyeRush you made me realize i haven’t had Korean food in so long and I miss it so much! My best friend is half Korean and her mom would make amazing food! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kbrown2385 we all are hoping you are off the emotional rollercoaster soon! Fx for good results. It feels like the amnio is so far away.... But I'm glad the iron is helping. It's amazing how a simple pill can make such a difference!

@FyreFlyeRush I haven't had a lot of Korean food and now I'm wishing I knew how to cook it

1. How many weeks are you? 18.5

2. Previous loss(es)? 12/18, 4/19

3. How are you feeling? Emotionally and physically? Better on both fronts too. I feel like I'm settling in to pregnancy and now that I'm physically feeling better everything feels more manageable. I still have dreams about loss and weird stuff happening but it doesn't constantly overwhelm everything!

4. Any appointment updates? Anatomy scan Sept 10

5. Rants/Raves/Questions? I like feeling better! 

6. Any milestones coming up? 20 weeks feels like a giant milestone. Half way!

7. GTKY: What is your favorite comfort food? Usually eggs and toast. Anytime I just don't want to cook or have a bad day eggs and toast for dinner works for me. It's a bit odd!
  • 1. How many weeks are you? 18w 6d

2. Previous loss(es)? 7/13

3. How are you feeling? Emotionally and physically?   I have been bone tired, but my kids all slept through the night last night, and our house guests (visiting for the past week) are leaving today.  Plus school starts for 2 of my 3 next Tuesday.  So I feel like I can see past the haze.  I am hopeful that once they are at school, and it's just me and my little Filippa, I will have a burst of second tri energy and get this house into shape/start to feel on top of things again.   School starting makes me nervous (new teachers, new classes, kindergarten starting, etc.), but the wait is almost worst than just starting and seeing how it goes.  

As far as emotionally, I am starting to feel baby more and more, which is definitely helpful.  Worry will always be there, but every time I feel a movement it's a touch of reassurance.  

4. Any appointment updates? I have my anatomy scan on Sept 9th. 

5. Rants/Raves/Questions?  I didn't want to find out the sex early with the genetic testing.  I'd rather wait until I feel more confidently past the early miscarriage stage.  But now H can't come to the anatomy scan with me because of work, so he's a little frustrated.  I tried calling Natera to see if now I could get the info.  They said yes, but first I have to call and ask my OB office to change the order to include the sex, then they will contact Natera, who will send more paperwork to be signed, and once I get that in they can tell me.  Which seems a giant pain and will likely take until at least Sept 9th when I have my anatomy scan.  Not worthwhile.   It's totally fine.  I will ask the tech at the anatomy scan to put it in an envelope and open with H at home.  But it's a little ridiculous Natera has the info and won't give it to me.  🙄

6. Any milestones coming up?  Nope

7. GTKY: What is your favorite comfort food?  I have tons of favorite food.   I really enjoy food.   But my favorite comfort foods are all things my mom used to cook.   BBQ pork, beef strogenof, clam chowder, spaghetti, to name a few.  My parents passed away 14 years ago, so when I need comfort I pull out a book of her recipes and make one of them.   
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• @biolprof haha I’m sounding like a broken record, it’s starting to annoy me. Also, eggs and toast are delicious and I’d eat them any time of day. 

@MollySm how annoying they are withholding that info from you! When the geneticist called materniT21 about my results they were very similar in their reaction. They didn’t want to give anything up! 
  • @FyreFlyeRush Now I am craving Korean food, too! 
    @kbrown2385 That’s terrific that the iron supplements are working for you. When I had to take them after DD’s birth due to becoming severely anemic from the **TW** scary postpartum hemorrhage **end TW**, I couldn’t stand the side effects. They certainly do the trick, though. 
    @MollySm That kind of runaround for results they clearly have in hand is ridiculous!

1. How many weeks are you? 20w today

2. Previous loss(es)? DD’s twin 2/17

3. How are you feeling? Emotionally and physically? Emotionally, the anatomy scan was a huge sigh of relief for me finally being able to see the little one being so active and rambunctious on the screen. I’m also feeling her move more frequently, which truly helps. Physically, I am struggling badly with jet lag and exhaustion from a miserable 24 hours of international travel. DD slept on me, so I didn’t sleep at all. 

4. Any appointment updates? Nurse appt 9/24

5. Rants/Raves/Questions? Still struggling with white coat syndrome (HBP at doctor appts), but the doctor and I were relieved that the BP reading at my anatomy scan on Monday was lower than at 16w. 

6. Any milestones coming up? Probably viability is the next big one, so 24 weeks.

7. GTKY: What is your favorite comfort food? It’s a toss up between a few of my mom’s specialties: beef stroganoff, spaghetti, blueberry pancakes, or baked oatmeal. 
  • @EmilyE13, that White Coat Syndrome is a PITA!!  And now I want blueberry pancakes. 
  • @FyreFlyeRush I want blueberry pancakes now too!!!
  • @FyreFlyeRush I've never had Korean food but I would love to try it if given an opportunity.  Unfortunately hubby has the palate of a toddler, so all Asian foods are out with him.  So annoying.
    @EmilyE13 That flight sounds miserable!  Hope you get some rest soon.

1. How many weeks are you? 19+6!

2. Previous loss(es)? My son at 17 weeks

3. How are you feeling? Emotionally and physically? Emotionally it's up and down but overall better especially since I am feeling more/stronger movement.  When it was less consistent and days would pass I was freaking out.  Physically I feel good except for something very weird - I have a foreign body sensation in my vagina. It's been there at least 5 days and is constant.  Saw the OB today and they did a cervical scan just to be sure all was well, so they said it's from pressure and recommended a maternity belt.  Amazon delivers it Saturday!

4. Any appointment updates? OB today, anatomy scan up next!

5. Rants/Raves/Questions? There are 3 doctors in the MFM practice and 1 I dislike immensely due to previous encounters.  I scheduled my anatomy scan 3 months ago with one of the other docs and last week they changed it to the doc I hate.  I called and bitched and long story short, had it moved from 9/5 to 9/9.  Not happy about waiting longer (and I will already be 21 weeks) but satisfied I won't have to deal with this guy. 

6. Any milestones coming up? Anatomy scan 9/9!

7. GTKY: What is your favorite comfort food?  I love all food and don't discriminate LOL.  If forced I would say pasta, pizza, and brownies.  Ate a whole pan last week. Oops.  

• @FyreFlyeRush Yay for not puking your guts out!

@kbrown2385 Fx for awesome amnio results. I'm one that needs to be facing away from my hubby too. I always get crap from people when I tell them that. Hope the other side of the bed gives you comfort.

@biolprof Isn't 20w like crazy exciting? I don't think I've ever been excited about the halfway mark with any of my previous pregnancies. It's weird. Glad you're feeling better too! Also, I totally get the eggs and toast thing. My go to, especially since I've been pg is fried eggs and grits. I could probably eat that everyday.

@MollySm Ugh, what a pain! Hopefully everything works out and you guys find out together successfully. Hope you get some rest soon too, especially with your kiddos starting school.

@EmilyE13 OMG 24 hours of flying?!?! With a kid AND pregnant?? You're my personal hero! 

@DalexRN Gotta love when there's a dr in the office you detest and you get stuck with them. I had that situation back when I was pg with my 12 y/o. The female dr in the office was insufferable. I dreaded my appts with her. She ended up being the dr who was there when my son came at 37 weeks and was in such a hurry I had him in triage.

Just realized what PGAL meant (I'm a little slow with these acronyms) so this is my first one of these:  

1. How many weeks are you? 18w5d

2. Previous loss(es)? 7/2002, 12/2017

3. How are you feeling? Emotionally and physically? Like a cry baby and super tired. I was starting to feel really good physically but got sick and now I'm exhausted. I went to bed at 5:00 pm yesterday and besides getting up to pee and drink water in the middle of the night, I sept until my alarm went off at 5:30 am. 

4. Any appointment updates? Anatomy scan and perinatologist (I guess they call them MFMs on here) appt on 9/3.

5. Rants/Raves/Questions? Rant: Still totally done with this heat. Is it Fall yet?? Rave: I'm super excited for the weekend. Mine and hubby's 20 year HS reunion is this weekend. Looking forward to getting dolled up and getting to have night out together. 

6. Any milestones coming up? Looking forward to hitting the halfway mark, 20 weeks!

7. GTKY: What is your favorite comfort food? I was totally going to say exactly what @DalexRN said (I literally LOLd because I say that all the time about not discriminating against food) but my ultimate comfort food, that I would eat everyday if I could (besides eggs and grits), would have to be mashed potatoes and gravy. 
  • FyreFlyeRushFyreFlyeRush member
    edited August 2019
    @mommahov13, that's ok, I thought it meant Pregnant Gal, as in American slang for woman. I ignored the threads with DS1 and my last pregnancy, cause DUH We're ALL PREGNANT GALS. *eyeroll* It wasn't until I was that panicked post in the Pregnant After a Loss board I put it together. 

@DalexRN, I think I'd die if my SO didn't like Asian food. My palate prefers Asian and Latin flavors, so I'd be crying into my kimchi. if you can find a Korean restaurant in your area, get Gal-bi (sometimes called Kal Bi). It's literally just charbroiled boneless spareribs. There's no special seasoning or sauces or anything else. He can eat that and the rice and you can try all the panchan (sides). Japanese Sweet Potatoes are my fave. 

Rather than post this in one of the main threads, I decided to put it here, where y'all will understand the anxiety and relief of today's appointment. I detest the big bad ultrasound machine, and was worried that even after the NIPS came back low risk, something would be wrong. I thought maybe due to my blood pressure, he was small and not growing right, especially since I still have like NO BUMP AT ALL. Or, even though I've been feeling him move, we'd go in and no heartbeat, or we'd see that the brain that was perfectly developed at 16w would be not there...

I'm happy to say the A/S went perfectly. He cooperated nicely, and showed off his boy bits with clear pride. SO went, "Look what I made". He is measuring right on target and smack dab right in the middle of everything. This makes me happy. He was kicking the sensor so hard, the MFM laughed and could feel it. GA 18w5d, FA 18w6d; Fetal Biometery 19w3d. 

SO and I also went and bought the baby his first outfit. Little by little, I'm letting myself get excited. I've gone from something WILL go wrong to the normal something COULD go wrong, albeit with a bit more anxiety than a mom who hasn't had a loss. I sometimes wonder if I'd be less anxious if there had been more than 5mos between pregnancies, but probably not. 
  • @FyreFlyeRush that's great news! It's amazing how loss of any sort during pregnancy can make you fear the worst at any point! I'm glad your fears were put to rest for the moment at least! Hoping you get more and more excited. I know the excitement is creeping in and I'm feeling more comfortable now just because I am starting to feel more consistent movement at least I think that's what it is. I'm looking forward to the A/S though and the 1/2 way point. It feels like the mountain is more surmountable then!

@mommahov13 the number of acronyms we use is crazy lol.

@DalexRN I haven't found a doc in our clinic I don't like yet but hoping I don't because inevitably that will be the one I deliver with... Also is the support strap just to help keep the bump higher so it doesn't put pressure down below?
  • @FyreFlyeRush So glad your a/s went so well! I’m having very similar anxieties right now. Ours is on Tuesday, and though he’s been moving like a mad man, I’m deathly afraid I’m going to go in there and there will be no heartbeat. We’ve been waiting so long for this boy and I’m so scared he’s not going to make it into this world. 

@biolprof The acronyms really are out of control LOL As if general short hand on the Internet wasn’t enough, right? 
  • @FyreFlyeRush Yay for a great ultrasound! I was really worried about the anatomy scan despite the low risk results on the NIPT, too. I was just thinking of all the not-genetic things that could possibly be wrong. Luckily, the little one was squirming around from the moment the tech put the wand on me, so she immediately put me at ease. 

@DalexRN and @mommahov13 Yeah, it was rough. Flight to Heathrow was delayed 2.5 hours sitting at the gate (with all of us boarded) for a maintenance issue, which resulted in us missing our connecting flight to Edinburgh and getting automatically rebooked on a flight 4 hours later. Then we found out they never transferred the lap infant reservation for DD, so that took another 30 minutes with the British Airways staff trying to get it added. At least they gave us £25 in vouchers for the trouble, and Heathrow has a great playground for littles. But now we are utterly loving Edinburgh, DD has had a blast playing with her cousins, and I’m getting some great quality time with my sister.