Toddlers: 24 Months+

Toddler only wants to wear Elsa dress

My three year old daughter has an Elsa dress which she loves. The only problem is she only wants to wear it. I made a rule that she can't wear it out of the house because I don't want her to ask to wear it to daycare. But now she is refusing to play outside, go to grandma and grandpa's house, even go get ice cream, because she will have to take the dress off. It's becoming a daily argument even getting her to take it off for bed. I don't want to take it away because she really likes it and if it's hidden, she asks for it constantly.

Should I just give in and let her wear it 24/7?

Re: Toddler only wants to wear Elsa dress

• Um, no. YOU are the parent. Set limits and abide by them. Otherwise you are sending the message that she runs the show. It might be annoying to hear her whine and tantrum and ask about it constantly, but she will get over it. Also, how does she “refuse” to go somewhere? When my son “refuses” to go somewhere, we pick him up and put him in the car. He’s two and a half, btw. 
  • Um, no. YOU are the parent. Set limits and abide by them. Otherwise you are sending the message that she runs the show. It might be annoying to hear her whine and tantrum and ask about it constantly, but she will get over it. Also, how does she “refuse” to go somewhere? When my son “refuses” to go somewhere, we pick him up and put him in the car. He’s two and a half, btw. 
    Preach!

ginger, whether you give in to this or not, it will be something else later. And if you give in, it will be worse because she will be learning that what you say doesn't mean anything. Children love to push up against boundaries, and they need firm boundaries. 
  • Loading the player...
  • kh7487kh7487 member
    This sounds very familiar lol my daughter is obsessed with Elsa and has a dress and a nightgown with her on it. When it’s clean, i let her wear it. Luckily she’s good about finding something else when i say it’s dirty. Maybe try starting a sticker chart with her. She could earn a sticker for each time she wears a different outfit or earn a sticker for not arguing with you. Then when the chart is full she can earn a reward like a special treat. Just a thought!