April 2020 Moms

Weekly Questions 8/25

Any questions this week?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weekly Questions 8/25

• Anyone color their hair and get the ok to continue doing so? I just have some grays I cover and I’m due for a touch up! Curious what your doctors have said . I see mine Thursday and will ask! 

Also when doss breast pain typically subside .
    im 7w2d and def less sore today than I have been 
  • @jd614 I'm going off what I got told last pregnancy. I was told dyeing my hair and manicures were fine, so I continued to get my hair dyed and manicures my entire pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok cool. Thanks ! My last pregnancy was 4.5 years ago and I didn’t need to cover grays then :) 
  • Moms with 2 or more children, when did you noticeably start showing the 2nd pregnancy? DH is worried my department chair won't give me spring classes if he knows I'm pregnant, so I'm hoping I'm not noticeably pregnant when spring classes get assigned.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi ladies! Just stumbled upon this community. SO GLAD it exists! Question: is it normal to go to the doctor fairly often in the first trimester? I’ve gone at 5weeks for my initial OB chat. Then at 7wk 2days for just US. Then 7wk 6days for US review. Now I have another just US on 9wk2days and assuming another review that week as the US is done on days the OB isn’t in. Is this normal? I keep hearing you only go 1x per month in the beginning. This is my first pregnancy. I was low on progesterone early on.
  • @Kathryn0903 this is my 4th pregnancy (will be 3rd baby as I had a loss 2 pregnancies ago) and I believe I began showing barely around 16-18ish weeks. I'm tall so I have a long torso so there's room for expansion up before out. I think a lot of it depends on your body shape. I was bloated at the beginning of all of them though! I don't usually switch to maternity clothes until closer to 18- 20ish weeks if I remember correctly.
  • @Kathryn0903 Ugh, I'm so sorry you have to deal with that worry. A colleague of my husband's had to deal with exactly that situation a few years ago, and ultimately settled with the college in a maternity discrimination suit. I hope you're able to get classes without a problem.
  • @Knottie1461943077 I think different doctors do things differently. Last time I had appointments at 8 and 12 weeks. This time, because of late ovulation, I had one at 6w5d and my next is at about 10 weeks to make sure everything is still progressing well. It just depends on the situation, I guess, but that does seem like a lot of appointments. 

Also, would you mind going to the Knot and changing your username? There’s a thread on how to do it called Knottie Usernames. It’s difficult to tag you and identify you without a more unique username. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Thanks @mercury94! Hope the name change worked.
    I don’t mind the frequent check ins for now (as I’m still super nervous!) but the waits in the office are long and copays aren’t fun so just trying to gauge what’s happening here... will see what the next suggested check in date is.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited August 2019
    @Kathryn0903 this is my 4th pregnancy.  *TW* I had a loss between DD1 and DD2.  With DD2 at 12 weeks I looked the same as I did with DD1 at about 18 weeks.  I'm 5'4" for reference.  

edit grammar 
  • I am going to third the other mamas about 18 weeks. I was able to hide my second pregnancy till right around then. I had no reason to, I just didn’t want a lot of comments since we had just had a baby. 😊 

And for reference I’m 5’5 and on the smaller side and was still able to get away with it. 😛 
  • My question is: Anyone else drinking coffee? Are you staying inside the recommended 200mg? 

It makes me nauseous but it’s the only thing that keeps me awake with 3 other little ones. 😐
  • @ruby_love I'll be drinking my normal 2 cups of coffee until the heartburn kicks in (one of the mainstays of all of my pregnancies unfortunately) and then I'll switch to tea and hot chocolate. The exhaustion isn't fun, but the heartburn is even less so.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @ruby_love I gave up caffeine due to lack of self-control, but I had some emergency coffee today after no sleep last night. I did make sure it was less than 200 mg. It also triggered my nausea, which made me pretty sad. I guess I’ll stick to tea moving forward. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Anyone else feeling any small cramps/pressure?  I am 7 wk + 2 days and it feels like some light cramps sometimes and other times feels like there is just pressure against the bottom of the uterus.  
  • @mandarenee898 i have a small cramp or two, once every few days, and its typically just once or twice a day, so not very often. I'm 7 weeks too.
  • I've attributed it to my growing uterus and muscles stretching.
  • @mflowers929
    @mercury94

It is hard to keep it limited! And it does affect my nausea, too. It never gave me heartburn, though! 

And with my first 3 babies, I always thought the little cramps ( nothing very painful) were a good sign that pregnancy was in full force and the uterus was stretching. Especially as you continue having children. 
    Hope you can relax and feel okay, @mandarenee898  
  • sanpelligrinosanpelligrino member
    edited August 2019
    I gave up coffee while TTC however still have brewed tea with some milk in it. That hasn't triggered my nausea so far. 
  • @sanpelligrino and @ruby_love thanks!! This is my 2nd pregnancy but I don’t remember having them last time, but I’m guessing my body is like “oh we’re pregnant better blow up this balloon of the uterus right now” cause I look about the same as I did 14 weeks pregnant last time. 
  • @ruby_love I still have a cup of coffee in the morning and occasionally one in the afternoon, and I did with my first pregnancy too. That's one of the things that Emily Oster's book made me feel better about.
  • @aresee I haven’t read her book but I do like the fact that staying under 200mg seems to be fine unless someone is staying away for specific reasons. 

@mandarenee898 That drink sounds delicious!! I wish we had a Caribou coffee here. 
  • Oh man I started showing around 8-9 weeks with my second...I'm a teacher and there's no way I was hiding it, it was insanity. My pregnancies were fairly close though so perhaps my body was already stretched out and bloated.
  • Speaking of coffee. Before pregnancy I was a big monster energy drinker. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I switched to small amounts of coffee but this baby is not liking it at all. I have a severe chronic migraine disorder. I’m lucky my last Botox treatment was 3 days before BFP, but this girl still needs small doses of caffeine. I’m thinking of switching to pill form.
    The question being what’s your favorite alternative to coffee for caffeine?
  • I started showing around 12 weeks with my second. I’m 5’5 and fairly thin so I think it all depends on your body type. Even now at 7w3d I feel like by 3pm I have a bump . My nephew asked me if I was having a baby haha. 

Still having one cup of coffee . 
  • @amber2718 My alternative to regular brewed coffee once I reached the aversion stage the last go around was lattes.  Expensive and high in calories but I justified it by getting the protein and calcium from the milk.  
  • I started showing with my second between 12 and 14 weeks, I was in my last year of university so that made life pretty interesting.
  • I broke out the maternity pants today at 7weeks. So much more comfortable. Why suffer?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • goodylovesgoodyloves member
    edited August 2019
    As far as caffeine goes, I have been getting half-caff almond milk lattes. One shot regular, one shot decaf latte. It should be under the 200 mg and gives me a boost. 

My question is — do you pregnant ladies change the litter box? I’ve been reading you’re not supposed to, but this is one of my main chores. Thanks for your feedback. 
  • @goodyloves I traded chores with DH. Honestly more about the weight/smell etc. Than anything else (I grew up on a farm and have had cats my whole life). Easier to trade but I will tend them when he's out of town
  • @rmarble23 I haven't stopped wearing mine since DS was born 😅

@goodyloves I gave that job over to MH. He grumbles but it was one of the things that the nurse told us at the first appointment last time. My aunt also lost her first child because of toxoplasmosis, so I'm a little bit more anxious about it.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @goodyloves I switched jobs with my husband, so I feed the cats and he scoops now. We have a mouse problem in our house, so the chances of them killing one are not zero, and that's where they'd get toxoplasmosis. I don't want to mess around with that. (Plus it's a good excuse not to do a chore I hate anyway.)
  • Any ideas on how to get out of drinking? Lol. My folks are coming for a visit and plan on going to a winery. I'm not planning on telling them until after the first ultrasound, but I don't want them getting suspicious.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @mflowers929 Pretend you have a bad headache or something?

One of my coworkers was just all excited to tell me about $1 oysters at a restaurant down the street and wants us to go sometime. Not sure how I'm going to navigate that one...
  • Has anyone skipped a day of vitamins? Tonight I physically feel like I cant stomach my pill. I take One a days + extra folate. I took the folate because its small but I cant even fathom swallowing this larger vitamin right now.  I don't know what to do. currently having peppermint tea in hopes that it settles.
  • @jd614 I wouldn't stress skipping. Everything will balance out, especially if you were taking prenatals before you got pregnant. Your body will just use what you already have in stock, so to speak.
  • @jd614 maybe ask your dr. If theres another brand they recommend that's small capsules?

The one I take is 6 small capsules (3 am, 3 pm). I would not do well with giant pills rn either.
  • jd614 said:
    Has anyone skipped a day of vitamins? Tonight I physically feel like I cant stomach my pill. I take One a days + extra folate. I took the folate because its small but I cant even fathom swallowing this larger vitamin right now.  I don't know what to do. currently having peppermint tea in hopes that it settles.
    Don’t stress. I missed sooooo many during my first 2 pregnancies thanks to not being able to keep anything down and pregnancy brain. I’d also suggest the gummy vitamins since they tend to sit easier on your stomach 
  • @mflowers929 - here are some things that have worked for me:
    1. Get a drink and set it really close to your husbands. Pretend to “drink” occasionally. When your husbands is mostly gone, switch his drink to being “yours” - if you’re sly about it and somewhere with a group of people, usually no one notices. If you get caught you can say you wanted to try whatever he ordered. 
    2. Get there before the rest of your group, ask for an empty glass, and fill it with grape juice or something the right color. Generally you might want to call and clear this with the bar/winery first.