January 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 8/19-8/25

Re: Weekly Randoms 8/19-8/25

• Options
    i came into work this morning & one of the guys i work with was telling me about his sick elderly dog & almost having to have him put down over the weekend & i started to cry! Pregnancy hormones are the best! lol
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady well that is super sad especially if you’ve had to do the same ! Poor dog ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady awww, that is so sad! 😔 But yea, the pregnancy hormones really amplify things, don't they? I've baffled MH a couple times by bursting into tears for no apparent reason ie: a song that was playing, or talking about what a beautiful day it is. 
  • Options
    I honestly don't know how I'm going to handle taking my daughter for her first day at JK. I will be crying like a baby the whole time, even having her say bye to her current teachers and friends at daycare makes me tear up. Ughh going to be super embarrassed in the coming weeks...
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k DD moved to a new classroom at the same daycare with the same teachers and I still got emotional. Can't imagine how hard it is for pre K
  • Options
    Finally a day with a high of 82. I love rainy days!
  • Options
    @marebear15 I’m so jealous. The heat doesn’t break here until the weekend. Real feel of over 100 today 🤒
  • Options
    @marebear15, I'm jealous beyond all belief. Highs in the 100s, heat indices approaching 110. I'm so done with it. We MIGHT have a snap in the heat early next week. Next Monday is showing 95 as the high, but this keeps getting pushed out a day. 
  • Options
    i cannot comprehend having to function daily in those kind of temperatures! i dont think it has ever been that warm here! 
  • Options
    peppyj9peppyj9 member
    edited August 2019
    I feel a bit bad for my reaction to MH's "good news" His dad apparently called to tell him he'll be making a trip to deliver MH's old childhood bed (which is currently with another family member whose children are now grown) I guess it's this 200yr old twin bed that my FIL wants to keep in the family. I'm sure it's nice, it's some wooden piece heirloom and MH seemed so excited that our DS will be inheriting this old bed frame, but my immediate reaction was "um, cool...." and then "but he's still going to need a crib,  which I've already picked out, which converts to a toddler bed, then a day bed and then a full size bed, and it matches the rest of the furniture we're getting for his room so now we'll have this extra twin bed" I feel like I should be grateful and I get the sentiment behind it, but I'm not excited about this extra piece of furniture at all. I'd be ok using it in the guest room or something but there's already a queen bed in there. I'm sure we'll figure something out. 🤷‍♀️

Edit: typo

Edit: I've always wanted a piece of heirloom furniture passed down or found at an antique shop, but something classic, like a China cabinet. Why a twin bed frame?
  • Options
    @peppyj9 i get it, family heirlooms can be a touchy subject but ultimately you like what you like and when its something that you didnt pick yourself and isnt from your family it can be hard.
    We have a family christening robe from my mums side of the family, which my mum & all her siblings wore, then all of my cousins & my sister & i wore, then has also been wore by the majority of the great grandchildren too. DD wore it and when i found out about the twins one of my first thoughts was "they cant both wear the christening robe". I mentioned maybe having something made for both out of my wedding dress & DH said one can wear his christening robe which i really dont like but i feel bad for not wanting it because its nowhere near as nice as our family one & looks kinda tatty and cheap in comparison.
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady thanks. I might feel differently when I see it, but at the moment it just feels like an extra piece of furniture I have to find something to do with. It's probably better quality than the converted daybed so by the time DS is actually ready for a twin bed I might have changed my mind (even though it still won't match the rest of the furniture! I like matching sets lol) And that's another thing. It's not really even needed until DS is like 5yrs old or something so I'm still having to find a place for this thing until it can actually be used by our kid 🙄
    As for your christening robe issue, I could see how that could be hard. Like, "sorry DH but the one who has to wear your ratty christening robe will look like the ugly, red headed step child" (just a saying!! I think you are a red head lol) don't want them to be treated unfairly now 😉 Would it be weird to have your twins do it on separate days so they could both wear yours?
  • Options
    @peppyj9 I finally had to put a stop to all of that. While I appreciated the thought, my mom is super sentimental and I’m just not. Thankfully my mom has only given small items and not beds, but most of it has ended up in a closet or boxed away. Ds didn’t have any use for the crocheted bonnet and booties I had as a baby or a creepy clown marionette that was handmade. 
  • Options
    @peppyj9 my mums suggestion was to have something made from my wedding dress for both and then drape the family robe around each as they are being christened in turn which i think is the best option so far. Having 2 separate christenings wouldnt be an option.
    I snort laughed at my desk reading the ugly, red headed step child! & whilst i have the typically irish pale (almost see through im so pale) skin, im not a red head! lol

• Options
    @kbrown2385 I can just picture the creepy clown marionette 😅 seriously though. I appreciate the sentiment too, but to me, most old items like that are just extra crap that I didn't choose and wouldn't purchase otherwise. I mean, a bed is obviously something that is useful but it's not one that I was in need of and isn't something I can just box away easily. I feel bad though because MH seemed so excited about it (I think he just felt special about the whole thing) until I pointed out that we already have a bed for DS. And he looked so disappointed, so then I felt bad so I had to say "but we'll find a use for it" 😖
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady I think that sounds like the best option too then! Hopefully YH isn't too sentimental about his own christening robe. 😬 lol, oh ok. Your leprechaun avatar just makes me associate you with being an Irish red head lol but I think the photos I've seen of your bump, you're actually more blonde. Either way, glad I didn't offend with that saying! 
  • Options
    @peppyj9 I’m willing to pull it out of it’s box to get a picture. I hate the thing so I can only imagine what a toddler would feel towards it. Just thinking about seeing it’s shadow in the middle of the night hanging from something is enough to make me cringe lol. 
  • Options
    @kbrown2385 😂 yea, old timey clowns are creepy for sure. But yes, take a picture if it's not too much trouble. 
  • Options
    @kbrown2385 we defs need a picture! lol
  • Options
    Leaving work early today to head down to a wedding tomorrow. While I'm not thrilled about going to a Friday Night wedding in the DC metro area, it does mean we are eating lunch on the road and I'm getting a pizza from the amazing vegan place by work! I haven't had one in a couple of months and I'm super excited!!
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    @peppyj9 I feel like with furniture, it's either a great legacy or terrible junk. Some stuff is just in such terrible shape that it's falling apart. We had a whole bedroom set of heirloom furniture. It was unusable. The drawers were all stuck shut! We gave it back to make room for baby #2, and were told we'd be haunted by the family who had previously owned it. Sigh.

At least it's not @kbrown2385 creepy doll! 😂
  • Options
    peppyj9peppyj9 member
    edited August 2019
    @persnickity I'm hoping it's at least nice. I mean, it's gone through several children, so who knows. Guess I'll have to wait and see. MH hasn't even seen it since he was a kid, so I'm hoping for the best.  Also, that is hilariously ridiculous about being haunted because you didn't want junky old furniture. . It's like those chain emails, if you don't keep it going. Wtf 😅

Edit: typo
  • Options
    @peppyj9 we did end up taking the bedroom set that was DH’s grandmothers bedroom set from when she was a child. It’s not great. It desperately needs to be refinished. But it’s made out of solid wood which is awesome compared to a lot of stuff that’s made now. But we also asked for it cuz we needed another bed set when we moved out of 1 bedroom apartment. Otherwise we totally wouldn’t have taken it. Family heirloom or not
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    I agree having an heirloom twin bed is weird. Out of all the furniture? Haha

Also, @kbrown2385 we need a picture! Lmao. Maybe a christening will get all the evil out of the clown suit. 
  • Options
    @stashattack solid wood makes a big difference! The stuff we got was all veneer.
  • Options
    We are thinking about going to get DD a big girl bed this weekend and start the transition out of the crib. I'm scared for how this will go! She loves her crib still, but she is now 3 and this is probably the best time to do it since we are having the baby and then moving all around the same time. If we waited, it would have to be after we get settled into the new house for a while since I would not want to add another change with two huge ones. 
  • Options
    We take some heirloom stuff and leave others. I had a whole saga about the heirloom crib but we did take the dresser and we are finishing it the way we want with new paint etc so it's like ours and fits but still in the family. It's well made. I've converted other family heirloom stuff to fit our style at other points too so I guess for me, I'm willing to take it as long as I can make it fit our family!

My weekly random is that on our trip, DH has been reading a parenting book called Raising Human Beings and we have both really enjoyed it. It's been fun to be able to stop and talk about some of the chapters at the time instead of afterwards. I think it's somewhat intuitive but also I have enjoyed the approach so maybe others will enjoy too!
  • Options
    @jaceru we were in the same position, moving house next year & babies arriving & also we had just potty trained so we made the transition about a month-6weeks ago & not going to lie, I was very close to rebuilding her cot & getting rid of the big girl bed, we had a rough time trying to get her to stay in in. Those first few weeks were tough going but we’re now about 6 weeks or so in & whilst she doesnt always want to go to bed, she is staying there all night & actually sleeping! So hang in there, if it doesnt go to plan straight away!
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady Tha is what I am afraid is going to happen with her too! She didn't sleep in  a crib when we were on vacation last week. Sleep was a disaster with her not wanting to stay in bed but we were also away from home. 

I am so torn right now between just buying the toddler conversion rail for her crib or getting her a new bed. Her room is pretty small right now but will be a lot bigger when we move. We are going to re-do her room when we move, but I would probably want a full in there instead of a twin. 
    I think it would work out better if we convert her crib since she sleeps so well and really loves it and then buy a bigger bed when she outgrows it. But I also dont know if want to use it for the new baby. 
  • Options
    @jaceru with us, we will be using dd’s cot for the new babies & they’ll probably go into their own room round about when we move so I didnt want dd to associate moving with the twins taking her bed & also the disruption of the new house.