March 2020 Moms

Worried mama

Hi everyone! This is my first so I am an extremely worried mama. I have a couple questions which I would really appreciate feedback on.

1) Have you guys used sunscreen with avobenzone/ octocrylene? Were your babies ok? Is this article still relevant?

https://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc?page=1

Sunscreens

Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you can't hit the beach. In fact, feeling the sand between your toes and that warm breeze in your hair may provide that perfect "relaxation point" your Lamaze instructor has been talking about. And as your mom always told you: Don't forget the sunscreen.

Sunscreens, including those with ingredients that penetrate the skin, are perfectly safe when you've got your own bun in the oven, says Baumann.

"[Ingredients] that do go deep into the skin do so in such small concentrations" that they're not worth worrying about, says Johnson. "I personally prefer titanium dioxide and zinc oxide ? they are powerful physical sunscreens and do not penetrate the skin."

She adds, "In addition to sunscreen, we advise sun-smart behaviors ? avoiding the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.; using a sun hat, sunglasses and sun-protective clothing; and reapplying your sunscreen every two hours."

And if you have melasma, adds Baumann, you can try a UV protector with a skin lightener.

On the label:
Titanium dioxide
Zinc oxide
Avobenzone (Parsol 1789)
Oxybenzone
Dioxybenzone
Benzophenone
Octyl methoxycinnamate (OMC)
Para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA)
Octocrylene

Bottom line:
Safe to use

2) I dyed my hair and eyebrows before I knew that I was pregnant in a room which I'm sorry to say was not very well ventilated. Should I be worried?

3) Have any of you used Andrews antacid (with magnesium sulphate) during pregnancy? Is it safe to use?

Sorry about all the questions but as I said, I'm a worried mama and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks! :)

Re: Worried mama

• Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn’t mean to annoy anyone, it’s just that it’s my first and I’m anxious. What I’m looking for specifically with regards to the sunscreen question is if the article is till valid seeing that it’s about 3 years old. Has anyone come across any additional info. Which may contradict what’s in the article?
  • Loading the player...
  • Sunscreen is fine. Not sure about the antacid—ask your doctor.
  • Thanks, I guess I’m just seeking reassurance :)

• Im going to try to reassure you that you and your baby have nothing to be worried about when it comes to dying your hair (especially before you knew you were pregnant) and using any/all sunscreens. I had my hair dyed while I was knowingly pregnant on purpose during my first pregnancy. My niece is a hairdresser and had a full term healthy pregnancy with her daughter and she dyed hair multiple times a day. I also, wore regular sunscreen through my whole pregnancy and would never even think to look at the ingredient list on a sunscreen... Take it for what its worth from me because I also eat soft cheese, rare meat, sunny side up eggs and lunch meat that hasn't been heated up... I know its hard to relax with your first because you want to do everything right and take every precaution to make sure nothing happens... but some people dont even know they are pregnant yet at 7 weeks... and carry on with their normal lives and everything is ok. 
  • @babymulan To second what @LittleSEZ said, I've had my hair colored during all of my pregnancies--and in the first trimester with my daughter. All babies were totally healthy. I think you are fine. I also think it is really cool you had your eyebrows dyed! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @babymulan hey there. Please read this and become familiar with our board culture and how we do things. 

Also, I'd highly recommend reading Expecting Better by Emily Oster. Footnotes: don't drink heavily, do meth, or plan a trip to Chernobyl. Everything else is fine. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Honestly ask your doctor if you are concerned and then listen to them. I don’t like anecdotes of “well I did X when pregnant and everything was fine” because sure that might have been the case for them but it doesn’t mean it will be for you. If it’s stuff you’ve already done try not to worry about it because you can’t fix it but talk to your doctor and make an educated choice for yourself moving forward. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)