March 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

Our Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight.

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week we're talking.... Baby Carriers!

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite baby carrier (brand &/or type)
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a baby carrier you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on baby carriers:
For FTMs:
  • Carrier(s) you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
Big thanks to all who participate in these threads!
To view the upcoming PSS schedule, based off of S19's, see here: March 2020 PSS Spreadsheet!
Up next week: strollers! 

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Carriers

• orbmakerorbmaker member
    edited August 2019
    STM here. Have a couple. Used a solly baby wrap exclusively for the first three or four months or so, at which point she grew too big for it to be comfortable. It was a godsend. I probably wore her for at least six hours a day and the material is nice and lightweight for the summer (DD was born 3/24). They’re $65, so not the cheapest ever, considering it’s just a long piece of cloth.  Still, I’m tempted to buy a second. I got a pattern last time and wish I’d picked a neutral since it was such an integral part of my daily outfits. https://shop.sollybaby.com/collections/wraps

I bought a Sakura linen ring sling second hand, but never got the hang of it with a wiggly, older baby. Will probably attempt again cos I know a lot of parents like them. $200 new. I spent $80 maybe? https://sakurabloom.com/collections/shop-all/ring-sling

Since she outgrew the Solly, we’ve primarily used the basic model of the ergo baby (not the 360), which has also been great, though at 16 months she is too heavy for it to be very comfortable. Since she became mobile (crawling), we really only wore her when hiking or something similar. $120, but I found it for 75 or so around christmas. 
    https://ergobaby.com/baby-carrier/original-collection/original-pearl-grey

Considering the more heavy duty osprey carrier for hiking. But so far we just do simple, easy hikes with her and let her run around in the woods. $290
    https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/poco-ag-plus-POCOPLUS.html?sku=10000121&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=fy18_us_ecomm_shopping_google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=smart

In general, I recommmed choosing any given carrier with your partner, since you’ll want both of you to be using it. 
  • orbmakerorbmaker member
    edited August 2019
    Just as an aside, with the caveat that every baby (and parent) is different, I kind of wish I wore my kid a bit less and experimented more with crib sleeping earlier in my daughter’s life. She resisted the bassinet from the get go and seemed to only be capable of sleeping on the body of me or my H, which made me a very sleep deprived person until we did some sleep learning at 9 months. That was not the best, and I felt awful, but I was really resistant to the idea of letting her cry ever. Knowing what I know now, I will prioritize more “independent” time for next baby in infancy. Elevating Childcare by Janet Lansbury really resonates with me and I wish I read it before giving birth. Just my two cents! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a Boba wrap for the first couple months. I loved that it was stretchy and soft and relatively cheap (I think $40) and great for around the house. However, there is a bit of a learning curve to wrapping and I was never brave enough to bring it to run errands or something. Also, as other mentioned, stretchy wraps have a short life (3-4 months) before baby is too big.

We also have a Lillebaby. My husband and I both loved wearing it. I loved that with the infant adjustment, we could put her in it from day 1. We were drawn to the fact that it says it can carry a child “up to four years old” (we laugh at this now that we have a 3 year old. No way would I wear her now). It’s light, versatile, breathes well, and easy to put on! It’s a little pricy, but less than some other soft structured carriers. I think we paid $120 for it new. 

When DD was 5 or 6 months, I got a ring sling. It’s Sakura Bloom. I really love it for easy ups with a bigger babe (6-9 months). But there’s definitely a learning curve and I couldn’t wear her that way for super long. After 30-40 minutes I’d be constantly adjusting it. 
  • Newborn: I had a k’tan and I could never get comfortable with a newborn in it, they never felt snug. I always ended up with the newborn in the car seat or stroller when we went out and in the bouncy seat or swing at home. As this is baby #3 I would like to try again because I think the added mobility will be useful with two toddlers to run after.

Older Baby: Had and loved the Ergo as it goes on very easily, and was very convenient for outings while chasing a toddler and letting the baby actually see what’s going on. 

• I had a K'Tan which I really never got the hang of/kind of hated. For some reason, it really hurt my thumbs getting it on and getting baby adjusted in it. When I finally got her in it, she didn't feel secure enough to do a lot of bending, so I couldn't do laundry or load the dishwasher. I'm going to look into different options for the newborn stage. 

We have an Ergo 360 which we love and still use often with our 16 month old. Both DH and I can easily take it on and off and switch between the two of us.

We also have a Deuter hiking pack which I got used. It's an essential for hiking IMO because it distributes the weight better and I feel safer with the weight on my back as opposed to the front. I've tried DD on my back in the Ergo and am not a big fan. 
  • varimamavarimama member
    edited August 2019
    I had the k’tan (I think it was like $40) for newborn stage and hated it. It goes by the wearers size so since I’m petit I got a small but DS was a big baby and he never seemed comfortable in it and I was never comfortable with it. After about 2 weeks of trying I bought the infant insert for our Ergo 360 (with insert I think we paid like $150ish). It was a lifesaver! I used that up until he started to push the 35lb weight limit (it has now been increased to 45 but he’s passed that as well at this point). Then I switched to a Lillebaby woven carryon that goes from size 2T pants to 60lbs (got on sale for $110). I like the carryon but Lillebaby seems to be made for larger people. I’m 5’2” and fairly petit so with the lumbar support and belly support I have to use a few hacks to get it tight enough.

I’m deciding if I want to try anything new for the new baby. I’d love to wrap and have a wrapsody breeze but never got the hang of it with DS. He was super wiggly by the time I tried.

Soft structure carriers are by far the easiest imo but they aren’t one size fits all. I preferred Ergo to the Lillebaby bc it fit me better (but unfortunately doesn’t have a toddler version) however my SIL who has a longer torso and is probably a size medium where I’m a small preferred the Lillebaby. I know other people who swear by Tula but I haven’t tried one personally. I’d check out a local babywearing group where you can try different carriers and sometimes even rent them before you buy bc SSC aren’t the cheapest.

edited bc mobile turned my post into one paragraph 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• I used a boba wrap when I first had my son, and a few handwoven ring slings. I enjoyed them, but they seemed to be more for younger babies and he outgrew them.
    As for ssc, after that I used Tulas and the Ergobaby Omni 360. I really liked the patterns the Tulas came in, but I thought the Omni was much more comfortable for everyone. Me, my husband and my son.
    I do very much enjoy handwoven wraps though, because they can be used at any age, and they're wearable art. Plus I weave, so I'll be making my own wraps for this pregnancy soon. :)
  • I’m so surprised most of you didn’t like the k’tan! I LOVE my k’tan. I used it once DS reached 8 lbs and I still use it (he’s 15 months and 23 lbs). I babywear him at the grocery. I wouldn’t wanna take him in it for too long now that he is bigger, but an hour or so is fine. 

DS loves it, I love it. The k’tan is 8 billion times easier than other wraps. You just need to read the instructions or watch youtube and practice and then it’s easy.

if you want the easiest carrier ever, get the nesting days carrier. But it’s $88 (whereas k’tan is like $60). The nesting days carrier is only for newborns though and the k’tan goes up to 35 lbs. I don’t have one but our friend does and loves it. I didn’t wanna pay that much when the k’tan works already.

DH wears DS in the ergo 360. We like it okay. Does the job. Def sturdier than a wrap.

i’ve heard good things about Tulas for more structured carriers. 

I have a wildbird ring sling. I will switch that more when DS is heavier. I had to watch a youtube to figure it out. Don’t love it, but when dS outgrows the k’tan, I think it’s what i’ll need to do. 

But k’tan all the way!
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• With DD we originally had a Moby wrap and I hated it. The knots needed to go right where my cs incision was and it took way to long to get all that fabric fitting currently. When DD was 2 months we bought a Lillebaby and loved it. We used it until she was 18 months or so and would rather want to walk or sit in the stroller. 

For this baby we will definitely use the Lillebaby carrier. I would also like to get a ring sling for a less structured feel. I originally wanted a Tula and have heard great things about them. But now DD is too big and heavy for it so unless I find one on a great deal we will stick with the Lillebaby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• @silverhope I feel you! I am surprised about the K'tan frustrations haha. I found it so easy, though to echo @varimama the sizing was strange. I'm what you'd call a normal sized person haha, but I ended up needing an Extra Small in it to get LO secure. But then I loved it! 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Yet another mom who loves both the Lillebaby and Ergo 360 here! I wouldn't have gotten a damn thing done for the first year of my son's life without these carriers!

I have older models of both of them, and they both have their pros and cons. Although, I think the newer versions of the carriers have remedied a lot of the issues that I had with either of them. But, just for info: the older model of the Lillebaby has great lumbar support, but seemed to rub DS's legs when facing outward. The Ergo 360 seemed more comfortable for DS, but the lumbar support was lacking. Again, I think both of these issues are fixed in the newer versions. 

DS didn't like to be worn until about 3 months, and even then he preferred to face out. It's not recommended to face them out until at least 6 months, and even then you have to make sure they're in hip-friendly positions (no crotch-dangling carriers). Both the Lillebaby and Ergo 360 are hip-friendly carriers when using the out-facing position. Having said that, DS demanded to be either constantly bounced on a yoga ball, or constantly worn while I walked/cleaned/danced (i.e. moved in any way, shape, or form) from roughly 3-6 months. Needless to say, he was a high-needs infant. The good thing was that, as long as I was moving, I could wear him for hours and he'd be happy. I continued to wear him quite a bit until about 12 months when he discovered that having freedom was more fun. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• FTM here, so thank you to everyone who is sharing their experiences with the baby carriers. 

@kailanae - Those sling ring wraps are so beautiful
    @EmilyLove25 - Same, I have high wrapping expectations, but who knows how I'll actually be
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The first wrap that I've looked at on my own is this one
    • Beluga Baby 
    • https://belugababy.com/
    • $64.95 + shipping = $68.95 (They also have a buy/sell/trade group)
    • Has anyone heard or used this one?
    What I've read/like so far:
    • Made from bamboo material
    • Wear newborn to 25 pounds
    • Easy transition to nursing position, and back up without having to re-tie.
    • Small business - Momma created, and is active on social media (listens and interacts)
    I will probably create a spreadsheet with everyone's recommendations for wraps/carriers, just so I can compare. Already I see that it's similar to the K'tan, and the K'tan holds up to 35 pounds....
    BFP: 7/8/19
    EDD: 3/19/20

• @lusineg check out huggaloops too. Similar to the k’tan also. 

• @projectalice I hope you'll post some pictures of the wraps you weave! I'd love to start a crafty thread here at some point too. 
  • Okay, FTM question here so please forgive the ignorance. 

I’m really enjoying reading all your examples because it’s helping me think about what likely makes sense with our lifestyle....but it seems like a big risk to spend so much on something I could end up hating. Is there any way to like, try different carriers out to help narrow down which ones we might like? I’m thinking friends with babies already could be a resource but otherwise not sure if this is even an option! 
  • @hmjensen you can try some on at buy buy baby (they might have a fake baby to put in too), but it’s not gonna be the same as putting a real, screaming, squirmy newborn in.

but still good practice to see which ones seem easier to use. Buy buy baby won’t have everything though. 

• @hmjensen, in Seattle we have a baby wearing group that meets monthly (I think) and you can try all kinds of carriers and talk to other moms about them. Maybe try searching FB for something in your area? 
  • @silverhope @keeksie84 thank you! I would not have even known what to search for exactly—it does seem that we have a baby wearing group near us. I’m sure it will be a good source of information! 
  • @hmjensen look for a local baby wearing group. Lots have ones where you can try a bunch or even rent them for a short period plus lots of experts who can give you tips and help you out. You can also check out BST groups to get a second hand one for cheaper than new. If you have a local second hand children store they also sometimes have great deals or even fb marketplace.  
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @hmjensen another vote for a babywearing group! Ours has a “library” and you can check out a carrier for free for two weeks! That was how I tried a ring sling the first time! 

With baby carriers I’ve found if it’s really cheap, there’s probably a reason. Good ones cost!
  • Loving this thread! Way to lazy to tag people this far down the list though! Lol

I used a k’tan with DD and liked it well enough, but I didn’t wear her that often. I picture myself wearing this baby a lot more often as i will be following DD around at the park, zoo etc and won’t want baby far away in a stroller.

I kept my k’tan (i have the standard and the breezy) but got rid of my ergo 360 which I’m now thinking was a mistake.

My main issue with the Ergo was back pain once DD got bigger, so I’m thinking of maybe a Lillebaby if this baby likes to be worn.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • @keeksie84 I certainly will! I would love to start a crafty thread at some point. I have been so sick and tired I haven't really worked on my crafts lately. :( But as soon as this lets up I'm going to dye some yarns and get weaving!
  • @varimama @kantobean thanks so much! Thinking about all the choices out there for every baby product is pretty overwhelming 🙈 I’m appreciative of this thread and hearing your real examples! 
  • My first refused to nap or not cry unless I was holding him at all times, so my carriers were pretty much sanity saviours. I wore him, I would say maybe 70% of any given day for the first 5 months or so, and then progressively less so until 18 months. I found that different carriers worked best at different points.

Boba wrap - stretchy, self tie, like the Moby. I loved this for when he was tiny. With the self tie, you can get the baby really secure and close to you. After about 3 months, my son felt too heavy in this and it hurt my shoulders carrying him, but it was definitely my favorite option when tiny.

Baby Bjorn original - from 3 -6 months this was my favorite option, it's easy and quick to get on an d to get baby in and it's very comfortable until the baby gets heavier. I felt like my son was too enclosed and covered in the ergobaby at this age.

Ergobaby  360 - my favorite overall carrier but I think it's better suited from 5 or 6 months plus. Once my son could face outwards in the ergo, he was so happy. He loved going on long walks in it, and until he got to about a year I found it easy to carry him in it and more convenient often than taking a stroller. 

I do think think it's trial and error finding one you really like. I only bought the wrap initially, and then after trying various types of carriers through friends and baby wearing groups, I figured out what I liked. I

I would still like to try the Lillebaby  carrier, which is one I never got to try. But I also feel pretty happy with my collection as is.

Also if you aren't registering for a carrier, you can always look second hand - I got two in great condition for a third of the original price that way.
  • With DD1, I used the solly wrap for the first few weeks/months then switched to the ergo 360, which I loved. I liked the solly once I got it right, but it was so much fabric. I had the original version (2015), which was longer than the standard size they sell now. I am small, so it was just a lot of fabric to deal with. I would consider getting another. I actually didn’t end up using it much with DD2 and just went with the ergo with infant insert. I used the ergo a lot with both girls, and I really enjoy baby wearing. This time around I would like to try the new solly, k’tan (seems similar to solly once it’s on but easier to get on?), and a ring sling carrier.  
  • @Madamemerle our LOs sound very similar! I have the Ergo 360 and Lillebaby, but both are older models (the Ergo has a velcro lumbar strap - it's dumb), and I think the Ergo is more comfortable for baby, but the Lillebaby has better lumbar support. FX our next LOs are a little less needy  ;)

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• @Madamemerle our LOs sound very similar! I have the Ergo 360 and Lillebaby, but both are older models (the Ergo has a velcro lumbar strap - it's dumb), and I think the Ergo is more comfortable for baby, but the Lillebaby has better lumbar support. FX our next LOs are a little less needy  ;)
    here's hoping!