November 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @ladyninagold I usually just buy an oversized jacket but I know they sell maternity jackets too. 
  • @ladyninagold a friend of mine bought an insert for her regular winter jacket that expands the front opening. She loved it because it gave her the space to wear her baby on winter walks outside afterwards too. I'm not sure of the brand though, I'm sure a Google would find a few options!
  • Loading the player...
  • @ladyninagold - I usually use an oversized jacket or steal one of my husbands :)
  • @ladyninagold I also just stole my husband's jacket or hoodie last time (my last baby was a Nov due date also). It wasnt worth it to me to buy a new jacket for a couple months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Re the jackets, @ladyninagold, I bought one from Motherhood Maternity last time since I was due in March and felt I needed something for nearly the whole winter, but I won't be buying one this time, being due in November it shouldn't get tooooo cold before I deliver (hopefully). Anyway I'm assuming I'll also feel super hot by then anyway.

Has anyone started to think about contraception for post baby, if you are planning to use any? We do not want to have any more children after this one. After DS was born, we used condoms briefly and then I went back on the pill for a few months, and then we used FAM until we were ready to try for another one. This time, I think I want to get an IUD, but I also asked MH to consider getting a vasectomy at some point. I have never had an IUD before and I am a little nervous about it (the pain as well as the potential consequences if a baby is conceived while an IUD is in).
  • @creamcheeseplease I use FAM to TTA and TTC. It has worked for me for almost 10 years. After my last baby I invested in a Tempdrop so I don’t have to actually wake up and take my temperature. I just sync my sensor and it gives me a temperature and I plug it into my chart. 
  • @creamcheeseplease I wont be going on any form a birth control after this baby. We have battled infertility for 10 years and the only way I've gotten pregnant is through IVF. We are also open to more kids if it were to happen, so thats another deciding factor for me not going on birth control.
  • @emeraldcity1214 yeah maybe I’ll look into a tempdrop. I just don’t want to have to take my temp to use FAM long term so that sounds like something that could be an option. 

@gumby22c that makes sense. I have a friend who also dealt with IF and her doctors still asked her a bunch of times about BC after her IVF baby was born. She was like, nope..
  • @creamcheeseplease I love my Tempdrop. Let me know if you have any questions. I will say temping PP doesn’t give as smooth charts but I was always able to confirm ovulation. Just an FYI, it is meant to be used in combination with CM tracking. It was well worth the money for me. 
  • BNBTBNBT member
    @creamcheeseplease I had the Mirena IUD after our daughter. It was pretty uncomfortable/painful getting it put in, but then I loved it. It actually kept my period away even after I quit breastfeeding, which for me was a plus. And the removal was a non-event, didn't even feel it. But I have heard from one friend that she felt it really messed with her hormonally/emotionally and another friend who felt like they could feel it the whole time it was in. They both ended up getting it removed and using alternate birth control.

I will also add that the birth control pills I used in the past helped control my acne and this is a low dose (recommended by my doc for breastfeeding) and it didn't really help with my acne as much (you would think that wouldn't be a concern at 33 years old  :|

Sorry for the info overload!
  • gumby22cgumby22c member
    edited August 2019
    I'll add I also used Tempdrop (thanks to @emeraldcity1214's rec). Even though it didnt help me get pregnant, I was a huge fan of it helping with temping because that was always a big struggle for me. I plan to use it again postpartum for cycle tracking again.
  • @gumby22c yay! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I literally couldn’t go back to using a regular BBT now. I’m spoiled! 
  • @emeraldcity1214 yes I loved it in terms of tracking my cycles and temping! Around when we started fertility treatments again my plastic frame broke, so I just stopped using it since it wasnt really necessary anymore. But I did get a replacement frame for when I start using it again.
  • @gumby22c they have been working so hard to solve the frame issue. Ironically, I still have my original frame and have never had an issue. Are you in the FB group? The CEO updates the entire group personally about the progress they are making on fixing the issue. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 yes I'm in the FB group! I have seen they are working on it. Honestly if  my 2nd frame breaks, I'll just figure out another method to hold it on (like a sock or something).
  • @gumby22c I know there are some people who make a band that it just slides in. I’m not sure why TD hasn’t just done that. I think they like the look of what they have now and that’s why they haven’t gone that route. I’m pretty active in that group so I’m sure you have seen me post. 🤣
  • @emeraldcity1214 I agree! It does look sleek but it may be time for a new strategy soon. I do see your posts from time to time😉
  • @gumby22c that may have been the group I called someone out who was being too risky and needing to use plan B every month. I got warned by one of the admins for that. 🙈
  • That sounds like a fair call out to me @emeraldcity1214! I cant imagine that drug was made to be taken so often, but also that's just irresponsible to NEED it that often. Find a new contraception method! But I'm not surprised you got warned 😂
  • @gumby22c when TTA you should only go UP after 3 full successful cycles. She was being risky and it was her first cycle. 😳 I was like, unless you actually follow the rules you are going to get pregnant and then your giving TD and FAM a bad name! 
  • @creamcheeseplease I had Paraguard placed in 2013 after an early loss that really shocked us, we realized we weren't really ready to add to our family. Paraguard has no hormones it is just copper as I was worried about the affect of hormones on my mind and body. I was horrible at taking the pill and condoms stink (in every way,lol) so this was really the birth control for me. I never had a problem with it and had it removed in Sept 2018 when we decided to ttc.

I didn't find the placement any more uncomfortable than a pap visit and the removal was even easier. I also liked that you could maintain the normalcy of a period, although I will say they could be heavier or more painful. The risk of pregnancy with it in is scary but if you go to regular GYN appointments they can check on the placement. I'm hoping to have them put one in right away or at my 6 week visit post partum. If there's anything else you'd want to know I'll answer best I can.
  • @creamcheeseplease there is very minimal pain associated with the iud. Most people don’t feel it at all going in or out. It’s usually about the same small, brief (less than 1 second) cramp you would get from a cervical swab. Posted complaints online will be from horror stories that are so rare. I wouldn’t let that sway your decision. If you like it, it will be perfect and you’ll never worry about it again. If you don’t, no big deal and it can come out at anytime. 

This is our first after a string of losses so we won’t be using contraception. Honestly, I would have been happy if this pregnancy was an honest to god litter and we could be done in one shot 😂😂. That being said, we’ll likely try again as soon as we feel comfortable. 

• My plan is to get back on the pill. I have really annoyingly inconsistent periods, so it was nice having them regulated. And I never had any issues with my bc, so it's an easy one.

@emeraldcity1214 what is FAM and TTA? I'm so bad with abbreviations lol
  • @angieeeeee Fertility Awareness Method and trying to avoid. FAM is a symptothermal method of BC that allows you to avoid or achieve pregnancy based on your physiological signs of ovulation. I have been using it for roughly 10 years now. I have had 5 planned pregnancies and enjoy lots of condom free sex with no fear of pregnancy unless it is something I am purposefully aiming for. 😆 *TW I only have 4 living children END TW*  We plan for 1 more and then I think I’m finally done. 

I have tried HBC but it always makes me gain weight and I end up not taking the pills. Then I tried an IUD before DH and I started having our kids (he adopted my oldest kiddo...he was not planned 😉) and apparently my cervix wasn’t closed enough to keep it in place and it slipped out within the first few weeks. So, FAM is literally the only BC I feel comfortable using. 
  • @creamcheeseplease - I am with you in that I am done after this one.  Provided everything goes smoothly husband will be getting snipped or I'll get my tubes tied after a year or so.  We will probably just use condoms until I can convince him to do it or my 2 year nursing period is up and I'll get mine done.  Either way, 3 was/is my goal and I don't think I would mentally be able to handle more.  (Plus I am over bodysharing whether through pregnancy or nursing) 
  • @creamcheeseplease I had the Mirena IUD inserted at my 6 week pp checkup after I had DD. I only experienced some minor cramping when it was inserted. I had no pain while it was in and other than some minor spotting, I didn't get a period until I had it removed in December 2018.  Because I had such a great experience last time, I plan to get the Mirena inserted again. We haven't decided if we're officially done having kids just yet. We're going to table the discussion and see how we feel in a few years when DD is about to start kindergarten. 
    Me: 36  DH: 40
    Together since 2007 | Married June 2013

TTC #1: June 2015
    BFP: 11/9/16 |  EDD: 7/22/17
       <3 DD born 7/16/17

TTC #2: December 2018
    BFP: 2/26/19 | EDD: 11/7/19
    <3 DS born 11/3/19 

TTC #3: January 2024
    Mirena out 1/23/24
  • @ladyninagold I live in northern MN.  My plan is to just layer up.  Lots of leggings, big blanket scarves.  The coat would really only be needed for a month or two at most.  I'm frugal, though, and don't like spending money on stuff I'm not going to use long term.

• I'm looking at cribs and found one I love, but it has a solid back (the other three sides have bars). My daughter's crib is all bars. I did some searching online and couldn't find any safety warnings about a solid side, but I thought I would pose the question for the group. Anyone have a partially solid crib? Any concerns?
  • BNBTBNBT member
    @kj17-2 The crib we used for our DD and that we plan to use for this baby has a solid back. If I'm remembering correctly, our crib is JPMA certified which made me feel good about it even though one side was solid. I did the same research you did and could never find anything stating it to be unsafe.
  • @kj17-2 I could be wrong, but I think the real concern is with solid, soft surfaces that could make it difficult for baby to breathe. I'd think a solid back crib would be fine.
  • @BNBT @dani_0921 Thanks, that makes me feel better! I can't imagine that would be hazardous. I mean, the bassinet babies are in at the hospital has four solid, clear sides. I'm just very paranoid about sleeping safety. Thanks!
  • BNBTBNBT member
    Does anyone have any experience being exposed to Fifth's Disease while pregnant? My daughter and I both might have been exposed last weekend at a 2 year old's birthday party. The mom can't say for sure if she was contagious at the time. One of the drs at my office just keeps saying stay away from the contagious child, but I'm confused because my child might have been exposed too and I can't keep away from her this weekend. I am waiting on the nurse to get back to me on this part of the question, I guess I'm just wondering how worried I should be about this?
  • @BNBT I had a blood test done with my last pregnancy because I thought I had been exposed to fifths disease. Turns out I had it as a child (my mom couldn’t recall) and was immune. It was a huge relief to know that. Maybe you could ask your doctor to run some labs to see if you’re immune? 
  • BNBTBNBT member
    Thanks @Texascat ! My dr didn't offer that, but did tell me to just keep an eye out for symptoms and try to limit my exposure to DD (which is impossible this weekend). She just said to keep an eye out for symptoms in either of us and contact the office immediately if I see any.
  • @BNBT I agree with what @texascat said.  Most people have been exposed during childhood, so you most likely have immunity to it.  However, if I remember correctly, the biggest risk is during the first tri.  My son had it last summer and neither me or my husband got it, but we were trying at the time and I remember the pediatrician saying the main concern is for early pregnancy.  
  • Hello all! I am currently expecting my second set of boy/girl twins naturally. I was wondering if anybody else has gone through this and what your experience was like through pregnancy and especially labor and delivery. Thanks!!!
  • Hello, FTM here and I feel so silly for asking this, but when/where do most people have their water break? And what do you do about it? I've read a bit on the Internet about people who got out of bed and it broke--did they simply come back, hours (or days) later, and soak it up with a carpet cleaner? Doesn't all of that water damage the floor? Does it ever break in bed? I assume that means time to buy a new mattress?

It may seem weird, but having my water break is one of the things I am most uneasy about, I dont want to leave a mess anywhere, especially if it is somewhere public that someone else will have to clean up. So what is the scoop on water breaking?
  • @SunnySkiesToday it wont necessarily be a huge gush of water like TV shows. Mine broke when I got out of bed to use the bathroom. I felt a small pop, but it was just a steady trickle rather than a gush. I actually didnt know if it was my water or if I had peed myself, until I put a pad on and it got soaked in a matter of minutes.

As for the bed, we got a mattress protector for ours. The bottom of it is plastic, so if by chance your water breaks in bed it will keep your mattress dry.
  • @SunnySkiesToday Water breaking spontaneously only happens in about 10% of pregnancies so the odds are with you if you are worried about it being home or in public. With that said, mine did rupture at home quite like @gumby22c while getting up middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Mine was much more of a gush BUT I didn't go running out of my house the second it happened, either. I called my Dr, my SO, woke up my mom, ate, showered and I definitely had time to clean it up although I'm not sure I'm the one that had to do it...perk of being in labor? I wouldn't sweat it!!
  • @SunnySkiesToday Like @ABabyMarshall said, water breaking spontaneously is very rare and so you shouldn't worry about it. My water did break on its own when I was sitting at home on my couch. It wasn't a huge gush, more like a slow trickle and so there was no huge mess to clean up.  If your water does break, you should call your doctor right away and they'll ask you about the amount, the color and when it happened.  
    Me: 36  DH: 40
    Together since 2007 | Married June 2013

TTC #1: June 2015
    BFP: 11/9/16 |  EDD: 7/22/17
       <3 DD born 7/16/17

TTC #2: December 2018
    BFP: 2/26/19 | EDD: 11/7/19
    <3 DS born 11/3/19 

TTC #3: January 2024
    Mirena out 1/23/24