February 2020 Moms

FTM Check-In August

Sorry I forgot to post this! Stolen from March :).

This thread is for those of us who will be first-time moms to chat about our experiences and get to know each other better. Feel free to use the prompts below to begin our conversation and to keep it going for the rest of the month, checking in however you see fit.

EDD/Weeks + Days: 

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions?

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc?

Rant/Rave/Questions: 

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far?

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?

TW
BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's

Re: FTM Check-In August

• EDD/Weeks + Days: Jan 28/15+3

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions? Really good these days. Yesterday I had a random craving for a Philly cheese steak, which isn't the easiest to come by North of the 49th parallel. I told my husband and he happened to remember a place he used to go to all the time (that is actually really close to our house). It was glorious! I ended up eating way too much and my baby bump got much larger with the addition of the food baby. Otherwise nothing super consistent craving wise other than still being obsessed with poultry and potatoes. And still can't handle pork sausage or any raw meats, so cooking is currently a joint effort. 

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? My next OB appointment is on Monday and my anatomy scan is scheduled for September 6th.

Rant/Rave/Questions: I am finally going to get more maternity clothes as I officially no longer fit any of my pants and am also going to need some work clothes because I start soon. I am excited to have more than 1 pair of pants that fit (the maternity jeans I bought a month ago). 

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? I was much more nauseous in the first trimester than I had expected to be. My mom only remembers puking once during both her pregnancies and says she wasn't really nauseous. I am wondering if new mom exhaustion just erased it from her memory because my brother and I are only 18 months apart and she was often flying solo since my dad worked out of town. Either that or my normal gastrointestinal issues were flaring up with all the hormones. Anyways, I am glad that is over and am happy to be enjoying pregnancy now. 

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? I have to give this one some thought because nothing is coming to mind at the moment. 
  • @mandk1233 so glad you are feeling good these days! Oh man, a philly cheesesteak sounds AWESOME right about now. 
  • Loading the player...
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: 2/15, 12w 6d

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions? Nausea is mostly mild (yay!) but can change quickly if I run into a gag trigger. Still can't open the fridge or cupboard, put in my retainer, or take my prenatal without gagging or nearly gagging. Absolutely no cravings. Emotions are totally level too.

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? NIPT results yesterday were great - low probability for chromosomal abnormalities  and we found out it's a boy!

Rant/Rave/Questions: Rant: now that we are nearing the 2nd trimester, I want to put together an announcement for social media, but I've been too drained to actually come up with anything. This is also the kind of thing I don't want to just throw together. Ugh.

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far?  I was expecting nausea, but I was not at all prepared for the strong and bizarre aversions. 

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?
    Travel abroad. Meet people from different cultures with different ways of life. Seek to understand what they are about, and appreciate the vast diversity in this world of ours. Try new things or have experiences that put you out of your comfort zone. Have compassion for people less fortunate than you. We would all be better global citizens if we traveled outside of our little corner of the world. 
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: feb 23 11w5d

nausea is mostly gone. There’s SO MANY EMOTIONS. I definitely get teary if I don’t sleep and sleep is harder to come by. Also French fries have become a food group. 

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? NT ultrasound and going over lab results 8/13

Rant/Rave/Questions: worried because of a new job more so because I’m starting a new job pregnant. We had been trying for a long time so we’re thrilled but the timing is complete s### to be honest. And I have a hard time when people ask if I planned this. Yes and no. I planned to be pregnant over a year ago...

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? Lots of nausea, no puking. No bump but pretty sure my boobs give the whole thing away. 

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Learn a language. I say this as a fairly terrible (and only) English speaker. 
  • @malloryfrommn I had another one today and it was glorious! Glad to here your NIPT went so well and congrats on the boy. ☺️

@22ksi2 Fries are life for me right now, so I totally feel you. They are probably the one thing this baby wants more than turkey. 
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: 11w1d, Feb 27

Lately, just lousy. I want to gag all day long and try so hard to fight it so I'm not walking down the hall in the office gagging. 
    Symptoms: MS, occasional lower back aches, tender breasts
    Cravings: Nothing really out of the ordinary. DH says I have stupid cravings anyway (soooo sorry he thinks taco bell is stupid lol!) Oh, actually I have one craving that isn't getting fulfilled. A chili dog and root beer from a place near my hometown.  :s
    Emotions are pretty stable. 

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc?
    NT screening on the 19th. I don't know why I'm nervous for it, but I'm so glad hubby can come with so he can see the baby on the us! <3 

Rant/Rave/Questions: 
    DH is a tremendous support system and I love him dearly for that! He text me the other day to make sure I took my thyroid medication because I didn't leave the bottle where I normally do. 
    Also, not sure what this falls under with rant or rave, but doc asked me to buy a blood pressure monitor because I mentioned last time I had a yearly check up they told me it was high (it was, but the receptionist was giving me a hard time and I was flustered!!) and when they took my BP it was high. She wasn't sure if I have white coat syndrome or it's something that I need medication for. 
    I've been checking it almost daily to compile a journal to send back, and so far it's been averaging 120/80. I took the monitor with me when I did the 3 hour GTT so I could see how accurate it was since it's electronic. It read 144/99 in the office, and so did their manual one. I'm thinking that white coat syndrome is very real! 

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far?
    I think I expected *WAY* more puking. But I'm glad it's not? 

Take a trip by yourself! You can do whatever you want, no restrictions, no other opinions or making you feel stupid for choosing to do XYZ activity!. 
  • @22ksi2
    DH and his family speak fluent Ukrainian and I tried learning that for a while. It's hard when the alphabet it totally different! haha. I'm going to have to pick it back up so when he teaches the baby how to speak it (because I'm sure it's going to happen) that I'm not left out in the fun! 
  • @babylawyer we haven’t told anyone yet. I told my husband I can’t until after our appointment this week. He’s antsy. If I could get away with it I would wait a long time but that’s only because my family is crazy overbearing 
  • @22ksi2 Ugh I get that. I found work people wayyyyy easier and more pleasant to tell than my extended family. Some of them were truly obnoxious. And also my mother-in-law is like creepily tracking my pregnancy to the day. Good luck to you guys when you do decide to tell. It probably is the prudent thing to wait until second trimester anyway!
    First baby due February 21, 2019
    Located in Columbia, SC
  • @babylawyer
    We havent told everybody. So far just family, a couple of close friends, and coworkers. We're waiting until after the next appointment so I'm beyond 12 weeks and have an updated US picture for a more baby like posting. My mom is super anxious for us to go public because she wants to ask one of my friends to make the baby shower cake. Yes...she's already planning it, we're doing it in November I guess haha.
  • noxacanthusnoxacanthus member
    edited August 2019
    EDD/Weeks + Days: Feb 8th, 14w0d

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions? Japanese summer is killing me. I don't enjoy 100 degree heat normally, but it seems 10 times worse when pregnant. For cravings, mostly dairy and chocolate.

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? Aug 22nd.

Rant/Rave/Questions: We went out to brunch today. Normally I'd get the ahi tuna poke bowl for an appetizer. I rationalized my way into getting it, but only eating half. Personally I thought I could have eaten all of it and still been under the safe amount, but hubby was nervous. He sat there and stared judgily at me the whole time. Look, I don't need your judgement, I need some tuna covered in soy sauce with avocado and cucumber.

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? I thought there would be more actual vomitting. I only threw up a couple of times. Also, I wasn't expecting to be this tired all the time and to just not feel like myself.

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Read a book that changes you.
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: Feb 13 / 13+2

Nausea and fatigue. Thought nausea was done, but came back strong. I never throw up, though, so that’s a plus! And I’m so tired I’ve taken 15 min power naps on my 15 min authorized breaks at work (on the couch if teleworking, or on the floor with a yoga mat at the office 😂) and full naps after work or going to bed at 730pm 😳

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? Got the genetic screening results this week- a boy, and low risk for everything! Nothing else scheduled until September.

Rant/Rave/Questions: I’m so glad that I passed the total fatigue/nausea doldrums of earlier in 1st tri and can workout more normally again. Or maybe I just figured out how to deal. 

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? Agreed with so many things others posted! I thought my workouts would be equally as easy to complete (wrong). I underestimated how hard the wait would feel (despite knowing that I am deeply impatient). I think I assumed it would feel more real? I still have doubts that this will become a real thing... although th baby-shaped creature on the US last week put a dent in those doubts. 

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? So many great suggestions! I’d say live abroad in a place strikingly different from your own culture. The challenges it raises teach so much, grow a person, makes them question so many things they thought were givens, and engender a new wave of empathy within. 
  • @um_thor I so know what you mean about still having doubts this will be real! I’m especially feeling that now that we’ve pretty much told everyone and are about to announce on social media. And when I can’t see a bump yet it, it makes me feel so vulnerable!
  • babylawyerbabylawyer member
    edited August 2019
    @babyroma hahah our moms are bursting to tell, too. I was impressed that they managed to keep the secret as long as they did before we told other family, but I think they're ready for the Facebook post. We're waiting on NIPT, too. We don't get another ultrasound until Mean Girls Day, so I'm thinking our announcement probably just won't have one.
    Located in Columbia, SC
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: Feb 12, 13 weeks and 3 days

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions? Nausea is finally subsiding. I ate chicken for the first time today without getting sick!! Currently not a big fan of the smell of coffee, overly sweet things, and raw veggies. Cooked is okay though. I'm still tired and I have to pee constantly! I think my baby really likes my bladder! Also have spider veins. 

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? Waiting on results from our nuchal test, but I don't suspect anything to be wrong. Next appointment is the 16 week check up. 

Rant/Rave/Questions: No one told me how life changing just being pregnant would be! Anyone else feel this way? I am never going back to a button and zipper jeans. Maternity clothes are so comfy! 

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? The all day nausea and the vivid, intense dreams. But 

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Lose yourself in a good book and see a Broadway show. 
  • @glynch0303 +1 on the Broadway show.
    Located in Columbia, SC
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: 2/12/20... 13 Weeks, 5 days

I'm still very tired and I am also very constipated.  My entire pregnancy I have had an aversion to meat- and normally I LOVE meat.  Emotions are all over the place.  I am so grateful to be pregnant after 3 failed rounds of fertility treatments, and 6 years of trying, but I am terrified something will go wrong. It just doesn't seem real... like I wont believe it until I am holding the baby. 

• jaynell13 said:
    EDD/Weeks + Days: 2/12/20... 13 Weeks, 5 days

I'm still very tired and I am also very constipated.  My entire pregnancy I have had an aversion to meat- and normally I LOVE meat.  Emotions are all over the place.  I am so grateful to be pregnant after 3 failed rounds of fertility treatments, and 6 years of trying, but I am terrified something will go wrong. It just doesn't seem real... like I wont believe it until I am holding the baby. 

Congrats on your pregnancy! 💙  Definitely not the same scenario as you, but I had a MC earlier this year so I am also constantly nervous something will go wrong! Hopefully it’ll feel more real when you start feeling baby kicks!😊
  • rikiteacuprikiteacup member
    edited August 2019
    EDD/Weeks + Days:  2/22    12w3d

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions? Pretty good overall. Just GI issues. No cravings, no aversions and my emotions are pretty level.

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? NIPT and NT scan today! I wasn't worried at all but my H has been anxious about it for a few days and this morning he made me anxious about it.

Rant/Rave/Questions: where is everyone?  The board looks dead this week.

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? I still don't feel pregnant. All the symptoms I have so far are GI related and this has been normal for me for years. Pregnancy is just making them worse than normal.

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Visit another country and do things most tourists don't visit. This opens up your mind and makes you realize that there are a thousand ways to do things and none of them are wrong.
    TTC#1
    10/2018: MFI (2 SA under 9 million/ml)
    11/2018: HSG shows right Fallopian tube slightly damaged 
    1/2019: Husband diagnosed with grade 3 varicocele
    4/05/2019: varicocele repair surgery
    6/13/2019: BFP!!! EDD: 2/22/2020 <3  Baby girl born 2/27/2020
    7/18/2019: Total Motile Count at 3 months post surgery = 51 millions!! (number must be >20 millions to conceive naturally).

TTC #2
    9/07/2021: BFP - CP: 9/10/2021
    10/07/2021: BFP - CP: 10/23/2021
    12/23/2021: BFP! EDD: 08/31/2022

• Had my NT appointment today and baby just wouldn’t cooperate. We’ve got a stubborn one. I have to go again next week to retry. I swear there was so much poking and shaking around and baby just literally didn’t care. I guess I was excited to get past this part but there’s still no info until after the test. 
  • @22ksi2 sorry baby wouldn’t cooperate today! Good luck next week. 

@babyroma I’m sorry you’re still so sick. That sounds awful. Hopefully the 2nd trio will change that for you. So close!
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: 13w1d

Pretty good. Most symptoms are subsiding except the pesky acne...sigh. But I’ll take that any day over nausea. Emotions are reeeal strong too. I had a mini meltdown over the dishwasher last night. (It felt justified at the time! Lol)

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? 8/26...feels far away!

Rant/Rave/Questions:  DH is being so sweet. He recommended we start a book club between the two of us to read the baby books. 🥰 I love that he wants to be so involved. 

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? I really had no idea what to expect since I always hear that every pregnancy is different. I haven’t thrown up yet and I thought I would for sure so that’s been a pleasant surprise. 

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Agree with a PP - learn a language. It challenges your brain and opens up a whole new group of people you can now communicate with!
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: 2/14 // 13 weeks and 5 days!

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions? Overall just ecstatic to be pregnant. I still have nausea, still very fatigued, really not feeling foods that are hot or meat, all I want is cold and usually it ends up being fruits or veggies.

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? August 22nd! Can't get here fast enough!

Rant/Rave/Questions: DH is going all out for this gender reveal which has now included buying new tools. At first I was a little upset with spending money but now I just think it's cute he's so excited and we will be able to use some of the stuff he bought when we get our new house.

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? I expected to be able to do more I guess? I'm such a busy body and I'm just slacking with workouts and getting chores done. I walk up the steps and just need to rest LOL.

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Force themselves to do something that's WAY out of their comfort zone.
    TW
  • @mandk1233 Oh yum! Philly cheesesteaks are the best, glad it hit the spot! How did your appointment go? Glad you're enjoying pregnancy now!

@malloryfrommn Glad the NIPT came back good! Congrats on your little boy!!!

@22ksi2 Hahah I hear you on all of the emotions! Too funny about the french fries! Good luck with the new job! Sorry baby wasn't cooperating during the NT appointment! FX that everything goes smoothly on the next appointment!

@huskervbfan Totally with you on anticipating feeling baby! That's so cool about skydiving!!!

@babyroma So cute about YH being such a great support system! White coat syndrome is VERY real! DH and my mom both have it and it's getting annoying. Good luck learning Ukrainian! You got this! 

@babylawyer Glad to hear you're feeling better! Hope you get your NIPT results quickly if you haven't already! We announced to family, friends and work but not on social media. I think we are waiting probably as long as possible. 

@noxacanthus Oh man, so sorry the summer is rough! Poke bowls are so good! Glad you got to enjoy some of it! Also super jealous of being so close to quality sushi!!!

@um_thor Power naps are real and so nice!!! Congrats on the baby boy and being low risk!!! Such a relief!!!

@cait_w20 Too funny at crying at some silly things! YAY! Congrats on a boy! Man, there's a lot of baby boys in our group! So happy to hear the NIPT came back low! Good luck at your upcoming appointment! 

@glynch0303 Glad the nausea is subsiding! Agree, stretchy clothes FOREVER! The vivid dreams are seriously shocking sometimes, though! I knew they were going to be intense but not like this lol.

@jaynell13 I am with you on the meat aversion and I'm a big meat eater. It's so unreal lol. Congrats on your pregnancy, that is seriously so wonderful! Hope this journey starts feeling real!!!

@rikiteacup FX that the NIPT and scan goes well today!!! That's still so crazy that you're really not symptomatic! Not too much longer and you'll be able to feel baby moving! I can't believe how time has flown!!!

@nhh11 Yay on symptoms subsiding! So sweet of YH about reading baby books! 
    TW
  • @brookert615 It went really well. We got to properly hear baby's heartbeat for the first time. (At my last appointment s/he was hiding so we only got 3 beats.) Turns out baby is sitting on my bladder. 🤷‍♀️ My brother figures it found a waterbed and my husband was congratulating it for being so comfy. 🤦‍♀️
  • @mandk1233 What wonderful news! That is too funny about the waterbed!  :D
    TW