April 2020 Moms

Recommended Pregnancy Books

(stolen from March 2020 birth club) 

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For all... 
  • What book/s on pregnancy/motherhood/maternity/parenting do you own/have you read?
  • What about that the book/s drew you to it/them?
  • What would you like to share about those you've read/started to read?
  • Any books on your radar that you don't own yet that you're hoping to get your hands on? Why?
For STM/STM+...  
  • Is there ONE pregnancy/motherhood/maternity/parenting book you'd recommend---if so, which? 
  • Any books you recommend avoiding/why?

Re: Recommended Pregnancy Books

• @stassischroeder Hi 👋🏼 I’m putting that on my list of must reads! Thanks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • ejoseph16 said:
    @stassischroeder Hi 👋🏼 I’m putting that on my list of must reads! Thanks! 

Did I tell you congrats yet??? I think I did.... but in case I didn't: CONGRATS and can't wait to read aaaallll the updates on your little sticky bean!!!

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Agree, I loved Expecting Better. She has a new book called Cribsheet about the early years for anyone who's interested!

My OB recommended the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Health Pregnancy, and I liked that as a general reference.
  • STM+

UO? I thought the pregnancy books and infant books were a waste, especially with the internet and apps. I love the Ovia pregnancy app. 

I do love the Sleepeasy solution and parenting with love and logic but I didn’t use those until much later 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• @coaster102516 Yeah, I remember getting a lot out of the Ovia app and less out of the traditional books like What to Expect. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • doraleigh35doraleigh35 member
    edited August 2019
    I also really liked Expecting Better by Emily Oster as well as Bringing up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman. I read both while pregnant with DD and got a lot of good info.

I plan to get Expecting Sunshine by Alexis Marie Chute which is about PGAL.
  • Thanks ladies, i ordered a copy of Expecting Better by Emily Oster. Figured I might as well use the time between now and my ultrasound to read a useful book about pregnancy :smiley:
    While reading the reviews for this book on amazon, i came across specific reviews about the author advocating for alcohol (in minimal amounts) during pregnancy. I saw a lot of polarizing comments on this (as expected).

I've heard a few people recommend the Mayo guide as a general guidelines for pregnancy. 
  • @stassischroeder I think you did, but thanks again! 😘 hoping to have our rainbow! 
  • Definitely just ordered Expecting Better and Expecting Sunshine! Thanks for the recommendations! 
  • I still need to read Expecting Better. I did read her parenting book Cribsheet and thought it was worth the read
  • The Birth Partner is the only book we had from pregnancy #1 that we read again during pregnancy #2. It’s THAT useful, and it was good  for me as well as my husband. It had everything I needed to get through labor—the positioning recommendations were great. And we used the acupressure techniques in this book to jumpstart labor when I was 5 days overdue. When it worked I was like, “HALLELUJAH!”  :D
    TW: MORE DRAMA THAN LIFETIME TELEVISION!

3 miscarriages.
    2 chemical pregnancies.
    1 infant loss.

8/2016: We lost our first baby to CHARGE Syndrome and HLHS when he was 3 weeks old. 
    1/2018: Our healthy son was born. :)
    4/13/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Thank you thank you all for this thread! I’ve ordered expecting better. I am wondering if anyone has book recommendations for first time dads. My fiancé is super happy and excited but has also voiced that he feels left out 
  • @kissofkira DH had the Expectant Father with DS. He seemed to like it. He read more of it that I read of my books. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • My husband and I liked "Belly Laughs" when we were pregnant with my first.
  • STM here. I really liked the book "Baby411" (image in spoiler...if I did it right). It was easy to find the information we needed at the time and had doctors' opinions I agreed with, along with research to back it up. They also clearly talked about reasons behind myths and had some great charts we bookmarked. Tons of science, but explained very well. 

For books I wouldn't recommend, it would be "On Becoming Babywise," because it has been attributed to failure to thrive and dehydration. To be fair, I haven't read it and I don't agree with the methods, but failure to thrive is serious and scary.  

• @kissofkira DH didn't have time for a whole book, so he watched thebump's weekly videos about what was happening. But I've heard a lot of books treat the spouse like an afterthought or demeaning, which is sad.