November 2019 Moms

August STM (+) Check In

I don't think there was a lot of conversation on last month's thread, so I'll just drop the prompts and post couple general questions so we have an open thread for conversation/questions/etc.

How is everyone doing? How are everyone's other kids doing?

Re: August STM (+) Check In

• BNBTBNBT member
    I'm actually feeling better than I have in a while, the fatigue let up which helps a ton! Now I just need to start checking some things off the to-do list to lower my stress level some.

Our daughter is getting very excited about the baby on the way (I just hope the excitement lasts, ha!). She wants to name him Little Sister  :D But she is getting her molars in, and holy crap I didn't know a 2 year old could be this grumpy/cranky so much. And her sleep is terrible because of it and she only wants mom. Which I love the extra time, except in the middle of the night!
  • I go through waves of energy and waves of pure exhaustion. I want to do some nesting for the next baby but November still feels so far away and I dont want to disrupt the house too much now and then have nothing to do in October and November. We are planning to finish remodeling our main bathroom with a new tub and surround (and a facet that trickles instead of full on or full off! I love taking baths but need a trickle of warm water for the noise and to keep the water from getting cold!) soon because I figure once new baby comes and being a family of 4, we wont find time to take a weekend to demolish the only full bath we have.

My 3 year old talks to "meatball" often and this morning laid on my belly and said "i love my meatball". I think she is going to be a good big sister. 

A huge part of me wants to give in to the temptation to find out babys sex. Then I could imagine more stuff in my mind. But I keep thinking there is only about 16 weeks left for me and I should be able to hold out. We will see!
  • Loading the player...
  • @BNBT - Yay for the fatigue letting up.  I feel you on the teething.  My 2 year old just hit another bout of teething and it is painful.  

@purplefan1 - SO CUTE! My firstborn was not at all pleased to gain a sibling the first go around.  Put her in the garage was said ALL the time.  And you can do it (Gender Wise)!! So much fun to be surprised in the delivery room. As long as you won't be disappointed either way.  We were surprised for both my girls and it was wonderful.  We found out this time since it is my last one and while I would have loved another girl, there would have been some "Aww" feelings for my husband if it wasn't a boy. 

I am doing well over here.  Fatigue is still big and RLP has been kicking my rear but otherwise we are chugging along.

The girls are doing great.  We just finished Night Potty Training my almost 4 year old.  She went a full month of no accidents so I think we are done minus the occasional accident.  

My 2 year old is sensitive, largely due to teething but I think she can feel the changes coming but doesn't know what it means.  I haven't been able to pick her up as much and she is very upset about that.  Plus potty training which aside from adding pants to she is good.  Crib Training I am still on the fence with.  I don't want to disrupt the flow but I don't want to get to a point where she is climbing....decisions decisions.
  • @Dancer688 we didnt find out sex with my 1st until she was born and it was awesome! We didnt care either way that time and dont care either way this time. Im just itching to plan something and since we dont have much to buy since we are reusing everything, i feel the need to do SOMETHING! I wont find out though. The surprise is 100% worth it. But I do demand all of my friends find out so I can celebrate through them. My BFF will find out in a few weeks and that will give me something to focus on.
  • @Dancer688 hooray for the potty training successes for both girls!

@purplefan1 so sweet of your DD! I love the baby nickname meatball, haha. And you can do it! We're almost there and its such a fun surprise in the delivery room! I feel like theres a lot of time left until November too, but I'm going to try to get stuff organized throughout this month only because I don't think I'll feel like it late September/October.

@BNBT too funny about the name Little Sister! Haha. I hope the teething passing quickly.

AFM, DS is doing okay.. we are really trying with talking about potty, reading books about potty, and I hope we will be ready to try again in September. He's a happy kid and he's so active and it sucks that I can't keep up with him some days. I feel bad. Also, he gives baby sister hugs and since I think we've picked a name (Maeve) we've been teaching him to say it and that it's sister's name. I hope we don't change our minds and confuse him, ha.
  • I’m doing good. I’m having  A lot of  round ligament pain. My feet are starting to swell everyday after work. My son is good and he is super excited to be a big brother. He kisses my belly every night and says he is kissing his baby sister.
  • @babybellsmommie & @creamcheeseplease - My oldest also does the hugs and kisses to my belly.  She is totally the only one who gets away with it.  I don't know how you guys feel about your bumps but aside from when I tell my husband he is allowed, no one gets to touch my belly :P
  • My son also loves to give my belly kisses and I think it's the sweetest thing ever.

I think I'm in the minority, I dont mind when people ask to touch my belly. Is it weird, sometimes if it's a stranger. But if it's someone I know, it doesnt really bother me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My daughter has been telling me she wants her little brother NOW. I'm getting her to understand he needs to get a little bigger before he can come out and play, but it's so cute. She likes to hug and boop the baby. 

We are also potty training with some sort of success now. She does great at daycare but not so much at home haha. My goal is to have her trained at least during the day by the time the baby comes. 
  • @gumby22c it doesn’t bother me either, but I’m a hard no for strangers touching me 😐. I haven’t had that happen pregnant, but when I was slinging my son last time I had two incidences with random people touching him.  Like, c’mon, he’s laying on my boob, your hand is pretty much on my chest, go away!

My son is being super sweet to my belly and wants to “cuddle baby sister” all the time, I’m obsessed.  He’s having a tough tome otherwise though.  I don’t know what is up but these past two weeks have been so hard with meltdowns and his sleep schedule is thrown off.  It doesn’t help that my patience is nonexistent somedays, but I’m trying!  I assume it is a mix of my husband working more, him starting preschool soon, baby, and the whole turning three thing that I’ve been warned about 😭.  I’ve been trying to make a point to do a few special activities with him in between working, but does anyone have any other tips to help him??
  • @rogro118 mine goes through small phases like that. I find that focusing back on the schedule and routine, making sure sleep is prioritized, and extra snuggles helps settle things back down. I also ordered a set of magnetic calendar picture things from amazon and put together a picture calendar of events for the day. She seems to like to go check out "whats next" and appears happier when she knows what is going on.
  • Oh man, it's all I can do to get my DS to not climb on, kick, or headbutt the bump! He definitely doesn't believe there is a baby in there and he always wants to climb over on top of my belly.  LOL don't crush your brother!

Kisses sounds so cute
  • @purplefan1 stay strong! We let it be a surprise the first time and it was great.  We found out this time and I wish I could undo that decision.  It was just so unceremonious to have some person tell me on the phone.  If we have a third I think I would let it be a surprise again or at least go the gender reveal route. I never "got" those, but I do now.  Finding out when you meet your child is so emotional, finding out ahead of time needs some ceremony to it. 
  • We're getting my oldest ready for school next month.  Bring on the tissues :( we're all excited for the next chapter in his book, but it reminds me he's no longer a baby.  He so excited to be a big brother again, to a little boy (since they'll need to share a room) and he keeps reminding me every day, is Jonathan coming out now?
    My youngest, does not believe there's a baby in my stomach.  So she'll try to jump on me and hit me.  I keep reminding her, but she doesn't understand 100% yet (she's only 3).  I know she'll be an amazing big sister as well, since my sister has a 3 month old and Lily loves to take care of her.  When she cries, Lily is around to try and calm her down.

My son recently started screaming "SCARY" when we tell him to go to bed.  All the lights will be on (night light included in his room) and he still gives us a hard time.  I'm not sure what could be causing this.  SO thinks it may be him playing Minecraft (Zombies, creepers and Enderman).  We've limit to his play time for an hour or not even letting him play (depending on the days).  Would a 5 year old be too young to play Minecraft?  He never plays by himself.  SO or I will play with him and monitor what he does.  I'm at a lost.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @christalfung - I don't have experience with Minecraft myself but my cousins all played when it first came out and I think that there is a setting like build only mode where the monsters don't come out at night which happens in the normal version.  My almost 4 year old is afraid of the dark too so she sleeps with the lights on and we come in and turn them off when we go to bed which works because she doesn't seem to notice the lights being off if she wakes up in the middle of the night because her night lights (2) are so bright.

Anyone with pre-school age kids do anything special for their teachers to start the year?  I am thinking of doing like a back to school basket.
  • @christalfung my son is 7 now, but he's been playing Minecraft for a few years. There is a peaceful setting with no monsters that we used at first because my son couldn't handle the monsters either. That way they can just focus on the building and not the surviving the night aspect which I could see being a problem. Hope it helps! My son sleeps with lights on, and gets night terrors but you would know if your son was having night terrors, believe me. He's probably just getting spooked a little before sleep.