January 2020 Moms

The All Around DIY Crafty Thread - July

kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
edited July 2019 in January 2020 Moms
There has been some interest expressed in a thread like this, so thought I’d get it started.

This thread welcomes all levels and types of crafting including (but not limited to): Baking, Knitting, Sewing, Painting etc. Share all the things here! 

Re: The All Around DIY Crafty Thread - July

• Yay for this thread! Excited to share some projects on my list!

I just bought yarn for these to for the little one. I had been putting off any baby projects to second tri because I didn't want to be too excited so it makes me doubly excited to get started!

• kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
    edited July 2019
    @biolprof the blankets are so cute! I try my best to crochet but I am not good at all. Thankfully my sister is awesome at it and loves making baby things. 

edit words
  • Loading the player...
  • OMG those bankets are adorable. I'm still trying to find some on ravelry that I want, but maybe I'll just have to go to my local yarn store some patterns. O the hardship  :D
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • @stashattack Yeah there are so many cute ones to go with. I had a book I bought because it had a pattern in it I liked for my nephew so if i knit these other two then I'm well worth the investment! Also DH got to pick it out with me which was nice to have him be included! I had difficulty deciding on the type of yarn but went with 100% cotton dish cloth yarn. I'm hoping it's not too rough but I want it also to be durable and easily washable ....babies....

@kbrown2385 I'm terrible at crochet too and am so jealous of the cute things people can do with it but I'm too lazy to figure it out.
  • I'm glad i'm not the only one who's terrible at crocheting. I can't do it to save my life. LOL. My MIL gifted me a stuffed animal knitting book that she bought ages ago. So I can't wait to pick out cuties to make in that. 
  • Omg that mobile is adorable @MrsJessS!!!
  • im always so impressed with people who can make stuff! i am not this person and am fascinated by those that have these skills.
  • @leprechaunlady I think you would be surprised if you find the right thing and start slowly. No one starts off amazing. With knitting, I'm definitely a novice but I like to have something to do with my hands. I always use patterns and that is really the creative part. Then I use a lot of YouTube when I get stuck!
  • crf4crf4 member
    I am pretty handy when it comes to all things DIY - I woodwork as a side gig, crochet, sew and cross stitch as hobbies. I really want to practice knitting and make a few hats for this bub! Anybody want to trade lessons lol?!
  • This is a neat thread! Can’t wait to see all the cool stuff you ladies post. I just don’t have time/energy to be super crafty, but I do love to build/make things. I saw baking as a category, so maybe I can contribute there. Anyone else bakers??
  • @blackcat01 I am fascinated by baking and do it occasionally—usually more around the holidays. This past Christmas I baked an almond galette using Mary Berry’s recipe that was scrumptious, and it really motivated me to want to learn more techniques. 
  • @blackcat01 I love baking. When we start heading into cooler weather I’ll probably start doing it more.
  • @EmilyE13 That sounds amazing! I love to try new recipes and also find that I’m baking more around the holidays! I get so festive lol

@kbrown2385 I moved about 5 months ago and still haven’t unpacked all of my baking stuff. Soon I keep saying lol I’m dying to make a pie!
  • @blackcat01 I love baking. It came from a necessity since I have a life threatening dairy allergy. But I haven’t done it in a while cuz have a 2-2.5hr commute round trip just makes me too tired to bake. And pregnancy brain totally killed my starter. I need to start it again now that I’m feeling better. And set an alarm 🤣

in other news i ordering another skien of the yarn I need for DH socks. That I’ve been working on for 2 years 🤦‍♀️
  • @stashattack Oh wow, I have a friend that has an allergy to dairy as well as many other things. Although, I don’t think he ever learned to bake/cook for himself. I really want to get good at breads. Is that your work commute? Yuck! Mine used to be 2.5-3.5 hrs round trip so I finally moved cause it’s soo draining!
  • @blackcat01 yup. The houses we could afford were out this way and getting into the city is just bad no matter what. One day we’ll move closer. But we wanted to get our first house and stop renting. It’s super draining. But we carpool so that’s makes it better. 
  • @stashattack I love baking too and have always loved it. Not necessarily for looks but just making yummy desserts. Used to bake with my grandma. But now since I've found out I am a Celiac and can't eat gluten, most of the times I'm able to eat sweets are when DH and I make them. But GF baking is a whole different beast and almost none of my recipes work. We did find America's test kitchen had some amazing recipes in their book so that's our go to! 

I've really been craving rice crispy treats for some weird reason. Might have to make some soon!
  • @biolprof I feel you on the craving rice crispy treats too. Yeah GF must be super tough. Dairy you just gotta worry about the fat content of the milk. Sometimes I have to use DF creamer to help thicken things up a bit. But GF I haven't attempted yet. And who cares how it looks. As long as it tastes good I'm happy. LOL
  • @stashattack I hear ya on that. That’s why we bought where we did originally, because the houses were a lot cheaper and it was closer to my mom. I was commuting one way and he was commuting another even further. We sold in order to rent (rent is twice as much as what my mortgage was) since it is closer to my work and he ended up getting a job about 5 minutes away from my work. That’s good that you guys can commute together, I’m sure it helps the time go by!
  • @blackcat01 sometimes!! LOL. Sometimes I wish I had some alone time with my podcasts. HAHA. But for the most part it's good. 
  • @stashattack We briefly commuted during his internship and there were times where I just wanted to play my music and be alone lol
  • @marebear15 wow! Nice work!
  • @marebear15 that looks amazing!
  • @marebear15 Wow very nice! I’d love to learn how to decorate cakes like a pro!
  • Wow, we've got some talented ladies on this board!  Keep those pictures coming! 😍 I like baking a lot. I want to learn how to crochet or knit. Also would love to get into sewing. 
  • I found this simple easy baby blocks pattern that would be a great project for those who are new or want to start knitting. I plan to do this too with a bunch of old yarn scraps I have. If you are new to knitting, you can go to YouTube and there are great tutorials. Also Goodwill can be a great place to get cheap yarn to start with!

I'm going to do these with acrylic yarn since I have a bunch, it's cheap and it's washable. If you do it post a pic!

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/knit-baby-block-2116621
  • Cute!!!!!!!! I haven't started my first baby thing yet but the yarn did arrive today so that seems like progress. But I just promised a baby blanket for a friend who is 8 weeks ahead of me so probably have to start with that.
  • kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
    edited August 2019
    *moved to august