February 2020 Moms
Options

Sleep problems

Im 10.5 weeks, I've been waking up at 3am for about 2 weeks now and have a heck of a time falling back asleep. I dont take daytime naps (except sometimes on the weekends). I have to get up at 6am for work and it is starting to effect me for work. Any advice? Anyone else experiencing this? 

Re: Sleep problems

• Options
    Hi @rebornlotus . One-off posts like this are discouraged. This belongs in the symptoms thread, where you will find people already discussing this symptom.

Please read the pinned post titled “Read This First.” And then feel free to participate.
  • Options
    I'm sorry. I didnt think of it as a symptom to put it under that category.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    babylawyerbabylawyer member
    edited August 2019
    @rebornlotus I have the exact same problem! Always awake between 2 and 4, and then have to be up at 6:30. I don't really have an answer because it's something that I'm trying to figure out myself (and for me this is a problem that predated pregnancy because of work stress but has gotten much worse since I've been pregnant). That said, I think the biggest predictor of whether I go back to sleep relatively soon on a given night is whether I pick up my phone and start messing with it during that time. If I open up Facebook or Instagram or this forum--whatever--I'm gonna be up 30-90 minutes. I think the light from the screen does it, along with the insatiability of the infinite scroll. Recently, if it's been 5 to 10 minutes and I'm feeling wired, I'll sit up, grab a small reading light, and pick up a book. I've never been able to read in bed without getting sleepy, and so far that's been working within 20 minutes.

Advice I've gotten from professionals: 
    1) Only use your bed for sleep and sex. Don't get in it for any other reason.
    2) Use night lights and reading lights instead of turning on overhead lights.
    3) No caffeine after late afternoon.
    4) Limit fluid intake right before bed.
    5) Don't toss and turn. Get up and do something that makes you sleepy.
    6) Don't play with your phone right before bed.

Good luck! If you figure something out that works for you, I'd love advice right back. Dealing with work and morning sickness and pregnancy fatigue is hard enough without also having sleep deprivation.
    First baby due February 21, 2019
    Located in Columbia, SC