March 2020 Moms

FTM Check-In // August 2019

This thread is for those of us who will be first-time moms to chat about our experiences and get to know each other better. Feel free to use the prompts below to begin our conversation and to keep it going for the rest of the month, checking in however you see fit.

EDD/Weeks + Days: 

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions?

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc?

Rant/Rave/Questions: 

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far?

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?

Re: FTM Check-In // August 2019

• EDD/Weeks + Days: 6w6d

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions? Mostly aversions, nausea, & a complete lack of motivation dominate my days. I am struggling to find anything that feels like what I want to consume when I know I need to eat.

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? Just had my 1st appointment on 8/1--next one is 8/14, and that's like the "real" first appointment, though they aren't doing my bloodwork until the 12 week appointment. 

Rant/Rave/Questions: DH & I are trying to decide if we are going to move back closer to home in Dec.--yes, THIS Dec. There are a LOT of pros in this column, but only if I graduate by then, which I totally should be able to do. I am in the process of trying to figure out if grad students qualify for family leave--I am, like, PRETTY SURE that they don't, so I would either need to graduate this fall or next summer, then, which is WAY TOO FAR from now IMO. I am going to drop related questions in the questions thread once we are a little more certain that this is what we're doing. My PGAL brain is having trouble making any sort of decisions, though, even w/ the good appointment yesterday. But moving back might be a good idea no matter what--it will just be more of a Choice We Will Need To Think About if we're going to be moving in the middle of a pregnancy rather than just the middle of the winter.

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? I feel way more tired/unmotivated and nauseated than I expected to feel at this point. I also expected to be hungry, "eating for two," not completely adverse to the thought of most foods.

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Travel to another country and hang out with the locals. This obviously can't just be "done," you sort of have to know or get to know someone to truly be immersed in the locals' culture. But just seeing how other people really live, I think, is great to get some perspective on your own life.
  • EDD/Weeks + Days: March 8, 8+5 (changed EDD at first app) 

This week was a rollercoaster. TW: I started cramping and bleeding out of nowhere on Sunday night, but it stopped after about an hour and was just spotting. Had an intense sprint meeting series at work and was totally checked out. OB squeezed me in for a last min app on Monday. On the U/S saw good growth, a heartbeat measuring 173, and a SCH. ~end TW~ At the appt I went from miserable and tearing up to happy crying in five minutes. Otherwise, I’ve mostly gotten pretty severe MS under control with meds, but it’s been worse than usual this week. But no real aversions — I feel for you, @kagesstarshroom. I love food too. 

Two appts on Aug 26 - a monthly check-in and to get an NT scan. 

Rant/Rave/Questions: 

I’ve got a wedding to go to tomorrow that includes a 2.5 hour ceremony and 6+ hours outdoors, in 87 degree weather. Ugh. And my MS was so bad I bailed on everything and stayed home for a solid week and everyone keeps checking in about my “stomach flu,” so I feel like I have to pretend to be really hardy and better because I don’t want to announce yet. Otherwise, super happy. 

I thought I’d be more excited to tell people, but I found I really don’t want to break the bubble beyond my partner. I’m generally a private person and this feels very vulnerable. 

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?

See the stars somewhere without any light pollution. Incredible! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi ladies, nice to meet some more FTMs!

@kagesstarshroom - I completely agree about traveling and immersing yourself in another culture.  I studied abroad in France, and I feel like it was one of the most formative experiences of my life!  I lived with a host family, and learned more about France from having dinner with my host mom every night, than I ever learned in a classroom!

@pdx2020 - Good luck with your decision on moving - that sounds very stressful!  My girlfriend moved while she was quite pregnant, and the one bonus is that she didn't have to do any of the work.  If your moving close to home, you might have the same situation with your family.  She said her mom and aunt came over every day to help hang curtains and pictures and help her get the new place set up.  

Also, seconding your suggestion for the stars without light pollution.  We stayed at an airbnb on the Big Island, Hi, and were in the middle of nowhere with no streetlights.  Looking at the stars just outside the house was unlike anything I had ever seen before.  We could see the Milky Way!  It was an incredible experience!

EDD/Weeks + Days: March 27 / 6w

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions?  I'm feeling cautiously ok.  No MS at the moment, but I do have some times when I think to myself "I think I could puke right now," but I don't.  I'm crossing my fingers it stays like that!!  The main symptom I have is sore boobs, like crazy sore when I get out of bed without wearing a bra.  I might start sleeping in a sports bra, but I also kind of like feeling it, because it does mean that I'm pregnant!  It all still feels very surreal to me.  

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc?  First appt on 8/21 - I think that will make it feel much more real!

Rant/Rave/Questions: I keep googling when do you get MS, and keep seeing a range of answers.  Lots of people experiencing it 4-5w, and others it doesn't kick in until 8-9w, so I'm just going to wait and see what happens here!

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far?  No MS.  Not actually feeling any different one day to the next.  I thought I would find out I was pregnant, and BAM, I would feel pregnant.  

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?  Travel alone.  It's a little bit scary to go somewhere, especially somewhere foreign, by yourself, but what a powerful feeling when you realize you did it all by yourself.  Plus, it's nice to choose what to spend your day doing without having to compromise!
  • @kagesstarshroom does that mean closer to Philly??? I’ll save you a cheesesteak then! But in all seriousness I can understand the move back. It’s hard being solo somewhere. MH and I are doing it too and it makes me worried for when we need extra hands around here. also don’t beat yourself up too much about the food stuff. A lot of women don’t get much down in the 1st tri. 

@pdx2020 I’m so glad it was just a SCH! Hopefully it resolves quickly for you - maybe even by your next scan. 

@julia_xo you may be one of the lucky ones who never gets MS! I didn’t with my last pregnancy **tw I realize this is a FTM thread, it was a loss 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• EDD/Weeks + Days:  5+3, April 1 technically but if both twins stick, it’ll most likely be March 

How are you feeling? Symptoms/Cravings/Aversions/Emotions? Well. A lot! found out yesterday we are expecting two. As I’m still really early, it’s too early for HBs. I’ve read that vanishing twin is very common so now I’m anxiety ridden waiting for my scan next week to see if we have 2 HBs.  While twins would be scary AF, I’m already attached to this. Pregnancy brain is weird. 

Any upcoming appointments/testing/results, etc? Scan next Friday 

Rant/Rave/Questions: it’s the weekend!!!! Thank goodness. 

What about your pregnancy is different than you expected so far? **tw** technically my second pregnancy, but I’m def more nauseated and wayyy more bloated than last time. But I have two sacs so I guess that could be contributing 

GTKY: What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Take care of someone else - not necessarily a baby but maybe an elder relative or family member. The empathy gained would help a lot of humanity. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• EDD/Weeks + Days: 7+2

It feels like nausea and breast tenderness are taking turns deciding which one is going to take over for the day. When my boobs are less painful I feel like I might throw up all day, when the nausea subsides the pain is back in my boobs. Emotionally, I'm just anxious a lot and my husband doesn't really get it. At our last appointment the baby wasn't as big as I expected it to be and our doctor gave up a due that that was pretty far off of what I was expecting. It took me a while to calm down from it and, like I said, my husband is just not able truly understand that I'm just scared that something will happen.

Viability scan 8/8 - DH's birthday!

Rant/Rave/Questions: 
    I'm a teacher running a summer camp for the first time this year at my new school. Apparently since we are "self-funding" we will not be paid until the camp is over...so I have not been paid in over a month and don't anticipate on being paid until the end of this month. So money is a little tight and that makes life just a little stressful.

I didn't expect morning sickness to be more of an afternoon-evening thing. I feel so bad for my husband because the thought of making dinner often makes me gag so he has to fend for himself lately.

Learn to play an instrument. I play the piano and flute and my husband plays a wide variety of instruments. 

@kagesstarshroom I definitely understand wanting to move closer to home. We moved across the country last year and luckily we have DH's family close(ish) by but I've always said that I want to be close to my mom when we have kids. I'm hoping by next summer we have a plan in place to move back closer to my home. 

@pdx2020 I grew up in a small town where it was easy to go out in the middle of nowhere an see the stars. It was one of my favorite things to do with my dad when I was growing up. Now I get mad if I go home for a visit and it's cloudy.