March 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Pillows/Sleep Gear

Our Product Spotlight Series continues! 

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight.

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week we're talking.... Pillows/Sleep Wear! (I also threw in some general questions about sleeping as it seems this sort of self-evaluation might be helpful in determining what you might want to purchase.)

Just wanted to throw this out there, too: TB has a "10 Best Pregnancy Pillows" post.

For all...

• Are you a back/side/stomach sleeper? Have you adjusted the way you are lying yet/do you have concerns on having to make adjustments moving forward?
  • What products have been helping you sleep? (can be stuff that you've always used or stuff you've been using bc you're PG)
  • Have you made any adjustments to your pre-bedtime activities to help w/ getting a good night's sleep in? (& if any products are involved, let us know what they are!)
  • What concerns do you have about getting enough sleep now/moving forward?

For STM/STM+...

• What type of pregnancy pillow would you recommend/worked for you? (inflatable, u-shaped, body, wedge?)
  • What brand pregnancy pillows would you recommend/worked for you?
Big thanks to all who participate in these threads!
To view the upcoming PSS schedule, based off of S19's, see here: March 2020 PSS Spreadsheet!
To make a suggestions having to do w/ the PSS, leave a comment on the spreadsheet itself OR reply to the board organization thread.

Re: Product Spotlight: Pillows/Sleep Gear

• miss.sallymiss.sally member
    edited August 2019
    I have the snoogle and LOVE it. I’m probably going to pull it out as soon as second tri hits. I was sad to put it away after I had DS.

I used to be a stomach sleeper but it hurts my back now. I am pretty restless and I find it difficult to get comfortable even when I’m not pregnant. So having the pillow was huge because I could kinda prop myself sideways. 

Edited to add more info! 
  • orbmakerorbmaker member
    edited August 2019
    I got the Snuggle-Pedic body pillow last time cos I prefer the squishiness of memory foam. It was a godsend. 

ETA: haven’t really changed many habits yet. MAYBE dealing with some pregnancy insomnia, but it was just a handful of nights the other week. I’m wiped by the end of the day, but I generally go to bed early anyway cos my 16 mo wakes up at 5:30. 🙃
  • Loading the player...
  • SNOOGLE.

I’m pretty excited to get mine out. I’m a side and back sleeper. I’m still comfy on my back for now but I will break out the snoogle in a couple of weeks!
  • Third vote for the snoogle. Mine were stolen (most my baby stuff was stolen by a moving company), but it was amazing (I had 2)!!
  • Just save your time and back and buy a snoogle! I waited way too long last time trying to make it work without buying the snoogle and it’s so worth it!
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• With my first pregnancy I would just build my own pillow fort every night.  I'm planning to invest in a pregnancy pillow this time though.  Thanks for the suggestions!  It's looking like the Snoogle so far!
  • My husband left my snoogle in the basement and don’t put it in a container after DD :# 

I just ordered this pillow from amazon and I LOVE it!! The pillow and the Unisom is making a huge difference in my sleep. I feel so much more symptomatic early this time around!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • *adds these to my amazon favorites list*
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• I also used the snoogle last time around... but this wedge pillow was also helpful. I slept with it in between my legs or wedged under my bump. 

https://www.amazon.com/Boppy-Pregnancy-Wedge-Petite-Trellis/dp/B00OIGTRKG?th=1
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • I am so thankful for this thread.

I am 8 weeks and a solid back sleeper, first pregnancy. I can't sleep any other way. I have been trying to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees to get used to it and I am waking up constantly.

Have any back sleepers found the Snoogle helpful? Any advice would be great. 
  • @thatsnotafoodbaby I don’t think sleeping on your back is a big deal right now. I still do it some and still stomach some. I forget what week it becomes more of an issue but by that point my belly was so big sleeping on my back was uncomfortable. It was also the point where I was getting up like 4 times a night to pee. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @varimama thanks so much for your response. My doctor told me the same thing this week!