November 2019 Moms
Options

July Fitness/Healthy Habits

edited July 2019 in November 2019 Moms
July is here and we are all over halfway or getting close! 

How are you feeling?

How is your healthy pregnancy journey going? 

What type of modifications or adjustments have you found yourself making? 

What's going well for you?

Re: July Fitness/Healthy Habits

• Options
    Still feeling mostly good although this heat is getting to me! I miss Scotland weather!

I'm starting to feel some differences as my belly grows and I am definitely making some modifications. Running is down to run 1 minute/walk 1 minute, usually for 3-4 miles. Since it's so hot I'm just running 1-2 days per week and trying to go to spin 1-2 times, yoga once a week, and then swim/lift/walk other days depending on how I feel. I enjoyed hiking so much in Scotland, I think my husband is going to go hiking with me at a trail here in Nashville on the 4th. 

With food, I'm finding I'm getting full really easily and have actually been craving healthier food for that reason. Yogurt, granola, and fruit for breakfast is my jam right now. 
  • Options
    Haha, great gif @runningfortwo81

I feel so tired, but I do notice I feel better when I make time for some activity, so I'm trying to keep that up 4-5 days per week. I'm adding in more ST as running in this heat has been tough. I was doing 3 min run/2 min walk last time I went out for about 2 miles. I'm probably going to try today after work just to see if I can do it. I may try closer to the 1/1 intervals that runningfortwo81 is doing. My support belt did help, but when it's this hot its just too much for me to be outside doing physical activity for now. There is a July 4 8 miler near me that I've run many times and I'm a bit sad to be missing out on that this year.

I would say I'm really happy to have kept up at least a little with exercising since I've mentioned before how I didn't exercise at all during my last pregnancy. My eating gets a B.. I eat a lot of ice cream/treats but I've been good about also eating healthy meals overall. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've suddenly gained my appetite back and the scale has been escalating over the past few days.  I've been keeping up with my elliptical workouts.  Haven't had to modify at all.  
  • Options
    Well I think running is officially done for me. I’ve started getting sharp pain in my pelvic area after about 30 seconds of running. Last week I ran 4-6 min walked 2 min for 3 miles. But this past weekend when I tried it started hurting way sooner and only could do 1 mile running 2min walking 2 min. I may try 1 min run 1 min walk like you’re doing @running4two before totally calling it quits. 

I have been working out 5-6 days per week usually doing 30 min cardio and 30 min strength. 

Eating is much better than last month as I’ve slowly been getting back to normal with my foods. I always seem to be craving fruit though. 

I gained 4 lbs in the last two weeks so hopefully it’s not another 2 week increase this week! Definitely not extreme overeating so at least I know it’s not my fault and just what my body needs to do for baby but still is slightly nerve-wracking that I’ll gain too much
  • Options
    The 1:1 intervals have worked well for me bc I've struggled to slow my overall pace. So I end up doing a minute at my normal pace (9:00ish per mile). For some reason doing it like that has felt better to me than trying to just run what feels painfully slow the whole time. 

Body changes are definitely an adjustment. I'm so used to just being able to control my weight so it's been an effort in self-love and reminding myself that this baby is worth all the body changes that may happen. 
  • Options
    A rant from this week: I went on a hunt to find maternity running shorts and there are almost none out there! I finally found one pair at GapFit and I bought two pairs in their 4th of July sale. There are a million pairs of maternity yoga pants, we need some variety! I can't believe companies like Oiselle aren't all over that!
  • Options
    Maybe a UO but I hate how I look in shorts while pregnant, nor do I find any of the maternity shorts comfortable/attractive @runningfortwo81. That being said I do agree it is a bit strange that they don't have any! Maybe Lululemon? Otherwise I'd just get jogging shorts in a bigger size and wear under the bump. I've done that with lounge shorts and its comfortable for me.

I think I've dropped off the running at this point. It is so uncomfortable and just makes me have to pee. I think my new plan going forward is weights/ST, walking with short jogging intervals, and the spin bike. 

• Options
    I wanted some maternity running shorts as well to wear under dresses. I was annoyed my only option was maternity spanx. It works for what I need but also i wanted the running shorts for being active over summer. I cant believe there isnt a market for that. Quick, someone crafty and talented in here get on that!
  • Options
    I tried 1:1 run walk a couple days ago and couldn’t even get 30 seconds into the second run interval without having the sharp stomach pain I’ve been getting on the longer intervals. Guess it’s time to hang up my running shoes for the rest of the pregnancy.

I have a super stretchy pair of spandex shorts that still fit me so far. They have a fold down panel over top but it’s not a maternity panel or anything. They’re also fairly long as opposed to booty short spandex style. I got them at target but have had them for years so idk if they would still have anything similar.
  • Options
    I've been sick with a cold for the past few days, so haven't been able to work out.  I miss it, but know my body isn't up for it quite yet.  I hate this feeling.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I got these shorts in the true black and marble so will let you know how they turn out (they should be here this week).

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=337848022&cid=1050384&pcid=1050384&grid=pds_50_76_1&cpos=50&cexp=917&cid=CategoryIDs=1050384&cvar=6498&ctype=Listing&cpid=res19070811451804938936515#pdp-page-content

I did more non-running activity than running last week. I ended up also doing spin, prenatal yoga, hiking, swimming, and weights and only one day of run/walk. Interestingly I did run on the treadmill to warm up for lifting and I felt fine so I really think it is mostly the heat that's messing with me. 
  • Options
    @kopp5988 I’m not sure if this would be the same for you, but the sharp pains in my groin/pelvis area that start when I first run often decrease after just a minute or two. Stretching has helped me a little, but mostly just slowly warming up will make that ache go away. I’ve been able to still run 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week without stopping much, but the initial (ligament?) pain is always there. 

I also have fallen in love with the Align crop/legging/shorts from Lululemon. They are soooo stretchy and comfortable, and I can still wear my same size. I’d say give them a shot. However, I can tell that the material will not hold up as well as their other shorts/leggings. It’s a splurge I’m willing to give myself to be more comfy for the next few months.
  • Options
    Feeling good - although totally not been working out as regularly since I was on vacation to start the month.  I went to do my Jillian work out and got half way before I decided to call it.  Tomorrow I will work towards the whole thing again.

Overall, I feel I have been healthier but that could just be because I was actually working out before I was pregnant this time and I wasn't the last two times so I think I am more mindful.

Modification wise I have limited greasy food severely because of heartburn so lots of veggies and salads.  Bored of it already.  What I wouldn't give for a turkey sandwich at this point. 

**Also, totally feel the work out shorts problem. I always need to wear something under a dress to collect sweat and also because I hate when my thighs touch.  So it is an ongoing issue finding things that work.  I actually cut spandex pants to be shorts from my dance days and use bathing suit short bottoms.
  • Options
    *Dirty Lurker from Feb 2020* Just popping in to post a link to a new private group for anyone wanting to check-in with other fit mamas frequently. This BMB seems pretty active on the fitness front.
    https://forums.thebump.com/group/1372-fitness-mamas
  • Options
    I liked the shorts!! And I felt good enough tonight to run with some of my running buddies for 3:1 intervals tonight. Having good company helped a lot. 
  • Options
    YAY - clothes that work!!

I feel like I have not done great this week. I am 3/6 days - I think mostly the fatigue has been hitting at the end of the nights lately.  I have been going to bed right after I put the kids down most of this week.  I can tell the 2nd trimester is winding down.
  • Options
    bmmimsbmmims member
    @Dancer688 I feel you on this, coupled with the holiday, I have not done well either. I did a workout class Wednesday and Thursday of this week, but they are getting increasingly tough for me. I just am getting super winded all of a sudden. I think I may have to resort to long walks here soon instead of my barre classes. 
  • Options
    How is everyone doing exercise wise?  

I got 3/4 so far this week but I don't feel as if I am doing enough.  Maybe it is because my house is a dumpster fire right now.  We have construction going on, my living room and dining room have just become dumping grounds and we have the girl's '2 and 4 year old' party coming up this weekend (just family) but I feel completely unprepared.  
  • Options
    I've been struggling with working out.. it has been SO HOT, so outside walking and running are basically out. I struggle with finding the motivation to do my prenatal ST workouts because sometimes they just don't feel like a workout and I end up feeling all "what's the point." 

@Dancer688 we also have a lot of stuff everywhere at home since I'm "trying to organize." I hope you're having the party catered at least! 
  • Options
    I'm hanging in there with modifications and kind of getting myself into a new schedule, which has helped. Monday I go to spin at the Y, Tuesday I usually run/walk solo or do weights, Wednesday is prenatal yoga, Thursday there's a run group in my neighborhood that does walk/run, Friday night I walk or swim depending on how I feel and my schedule and then I usually swim one day on the weekend and leave the other day for whatever would feel good.

I have my blah days but I do think sticking with it is helping with not having too many symptoms so far. 
  • Options
    I switched to a lighter work out since last week I was having some serious cramp/baby kicking and it has made a world of difference!  I think I was pushing my body too much since the cardio and difficulty wouldn't bother me at the time of working out.  But post or the next day I would feel terrible.  So yay for figuring out the solution!
  • Options
    @Dancer688 Woo hoo! Modifications are key...our bodies are working so much harder than normal!
  • Options
    We went on vacation and I ended up being more active than I usually would including TONS of trips up and down stairs. We dont have any stairs in our house and having to go down to a basement and up to a second floor meant that every day on vacationI got all 10,000 of my steps in daily without even thinking about it as well as so.many.floors. Now I wish we lived in a multilevel house!

We are thinking of moving our elliptical and treadmill out to the garage to make room to move stuff around so eventually we can make room for the new baby. I want to advocate that we should definitely keep the pieces of equipment (so much easier than finding time to go to a gym) so I really need to get back on them. I want to start back to walking and elliptical to keep the aches and pains at bay. I cant believe how little weight I gained over vacation despite indulging myself a ton, and also how much better I felt keeping my body moving.
  • Options
    So hard to find the energy and time these days. Summer weekends get so busy!

I got a decent number of work outs in but anytime 2 non-workout days happen in a row I feel so blah.

On the bright side, since I cut caffeine out of my diet I am being healthier even if I feel like a zombie with how tired I am.

How is everyone else doing fitness/health wise?
  • Options
    Went for a hike yesterday and it helped my pelvic and back pain so much. Did some yoga last night to further stretch. Planning on getting up early every day this week to stretch and get a walk in to keep things loose.
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    I got up and moved this weekend! 💃🏻

I spent a couple hours at the pool yesterday and today. Def winded myself doing laps, but felt good. 

I also went to pregnancy yoga this morning. I hadn’t been in a few weeks but love it so much since I’ve been feeling crazy tight, especially in my glutes. 

I wish I were doing more but honestly my schedule is so demanding, I only really have time on the weekends ☹️
  • Options
    I did okay recently.. last week 4 days of ST and 3 days of walking. I'm hoping to keep up with the ST in August and add more stretching. @mc0303 I feel you on finding time to work out. I feel like I'm always working or with DS and its so hard to find the time to do a workout. 

I can't wait to do some swimming when we're away in a few weeks.