2nd Trimester

To tell or not to tell

I am going in for a job interview on Tuesday and I REALLY WANT THIS JOB. I am also 14 weeks pregnant. I feel like I should tell them I’m pregnant, but I’m wondering if anyone here has experience in this department. Did you tell? Did you decide not to tell? Did you get turned down for a job because you were pregnant? Did you get hired despite being pregnant🤞🏼 What are your suggestions in light of your experience?  Any and all stories welcome, thanks for the advice! 

Re: To tell or not to tell

• No personal experience, but personally I wouldn’t tell until there was an offer made. It has no relevance to whether or not you can do the job, it would be more of a negotiation of benefits to negotiate your maternity leave. If they don’t know they can’t discriminate due to pregnancy and if you don’t get the job it’s one less thing to occupy your mind.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    No personal experience, but personally I wouldn’t tell until there was an offer made. It has no relevance to whether or not you can do the job, it would be more of a negotiation of benefits to negotiate your maternity leave. If they don’t know they can’t discriminate due to pregnancy and if you don’t get the job it’s one less thing to occupy your mind.
    This. They may have other policies in place, but under the standard FMLA leave regulations, you are not eligible unless you have worked for the company for a year. Make sure you do discuss it if you get an offer. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn’t say anything until you’ve accepted the position. They can’t *legally* not hire you due to being pregnant, but they can give the lame “we went with someone more qualified” excuse.