October 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

1192021222325»

Re: The Great Question Thread

• @jcbh2018 My husband took DS’ little hat home to the pup to sniff. Once he was home, any time he would cry she would bring the hat over to him. It was the sweetest thing 💗
    😭😭😭❤️
  • Hey, all! Does anybody have a swaddle that they recommend? I've heard good things about Swaddle Me. There is also Swaddle Up, which is more like a starfish and you are able to transition them out of it. Thanks in advance! :)
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• Loading the player...
  • @elle-0409 It can really depend on the baby. We used a lot of different swaddles. Our favorite one that got the most use was the Swaddle Me velcro swaddle. We sized up when he outgrew the newborn size. Loved them! But some babies are Houdinis and can get out of them. We had the Swaddle Up and I was excited for it, but it didn't get much use. Their smallest size was too big for him at the beginning and he didn't like it as well when he grew into it. When we transitioned out of the swaddle we used the Zipadee Zip for quite a while before moving to a regular arms out sleep sack (Halo). I've heard good things about the Magic Merlin sleep suit as a swaddle transition product, but having something that restrictive made me a bit nervous and they are not to use it once they can roll (which can happen right around the same time as you are transitioning), so it has a really short lifespan. We went with the Zipadee Zip instead, which can be used much longer and we were really happy with it.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• I used a halo sleep sack for both kids which worked well for us 
  • @elle-0409 we loved zipadee zips! We did just regular blankets when DS was itty bitty and moved to the zips when he started rolling and they worked great! 
  • I used SwaddleMe with DS and he liked to have one arm out. I intended to use them with DD, but don't really remember if I used them, didn't see the need or if she didn't like them. We like to keep our house on the cooler side when we sleep during the winter and since this baby is due at the end of October I definitely want to use something. I was thinking the Swaddle Up, but will check out the Zipadee zip. But like @mrsinterweb mentioned, these products tend to be short lived.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • SLou24SLou24 member
    @elle-0409 we swore by the Halo swaddle sleepsacks when DD was little, but it really varies by baby!! You may have to try a few to see what they like/don’t like. 
  • I'm going to suggest you try 1 of each until you find what baby likes. We tried standard swaddling because it worked in the hospital. Nope. We did Swaddle Me's and it was a disaster. He was constantly wiggling his arms out. PLUS those MOTN changes were tough. We switched to the Swaddle Up and total game changer. Boy just wanted his arms up. He STILL sleeps like that.
  • We liked the miracle blanket for the newborn phase. It has more of a learning curve than other swaddle types but it was the only kind that DD couldn’t break out of. We used the swaddle up a little later and then the Merlin suit. This time around I’m thinking of using the zippadee zip instead of the Merlin suit. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We did the halo sleep sack as well and also just swaddled with A&A swaddles but that required some technique and wasn’t quite as simple. 

I also have a merlin sleepsack but got it too late and DS figured out how to roll in it on I think the second use so it went into the closet, never to be used again. 
  • @Elle-0409 we used regular swaddle blankets for DS until at least 3 months if not a little longer. I liked those a lot because I had the control over how to wrap him (one arm or two, leave his legs out, etc.) But it also depends on whose doing the swaddling sometimes. SO wasn't as good at wrapping him tightly so DS escaped more often than not when he put him down. We used the halo for a few more months after that. He liked being swaddled until around 7 or 8 months just because he had such a startle reflex he was always waking himself back up.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • cmbt2 said:
    Whatever do you do, DON’T buy “receiving blankets.” You want 44x44” at a minimal for swaddling if you go the blanket route
    Lol, I never did get the point of receiving blankets. Never thought they were big enough for any purpose.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • ℓσℓ our receiving blankets have gotten the most use with out daughters that wrap their babies up in them.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • +1 to finding little use for receiving blankets. We used the cheap Gerber Prefold diapers for spitup rags and they were awesome for that. 

Like @cooaladolly I also liked using regular muslin swaddles and enjoyed wrapping him up like a burrito, but DH hated them. Since he was on MOTN diaper changing duty, we would use the SwaddleMe at night and I would do the muslin swaddles for daytime naps.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Yes, receiving blankets are great for burp rags. I also had one on the Boppy under DD’s head to catch milk dribbles, spit up or if she pulled off because of letdown. And since she is a summer baby I would put one on my arm when nursing so we didn’t get each other sweaty if I didn’t use/have the Boppy. 

@mrsinterweb I have heard that about Gerber Prefolds but never ended up buying some. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Receiving blankets were great for spitting up/ throwing up😂 that's what I use them for. Or as an extra protection for changing. DS loved to wait til his diaper was off to finish peeing 😑 and he had way more explosive poops that I was ready for 😂 they came in handy for that for me lol

• I really liked the Halo sleep sack as well.