October 2019 Moms

July Fitness!

It’s already a new month!  What are your challenges? 

What are your workout routines looking like these days?  Modifications, new findings?

Goals for July? 

Questions? 

Re: July Fitness!

• It’s already a new month!  What are your challenges? 

What are your workout routines looking like these days?  Modifications, new findings?

Goals for July? 

Questions? 
    My challenge is getting motivated to work out. I've only really been doing once a week. 

I've still been working out from the Jillian Michaels fitness app. I do the Yeah Baby workouts. I'm finding that modified pushups and planks are becoming more challenging with a growing belly.

My goal is to get 3 workouts in per week with the app and generally walk around more. My job is sedentary, but I work from home so I could get up and walk around more.
  • Loading the player...
  • My parking spot moved closer to the building which is good, just less walking so I'm trying to walk more throughout the day. I go to the farther bathroom or just take an extra loop around the floor.

I'm trying to focus more on diet. I've been striking out on my smoothies and its driving me crazy. My bananas lately are not holding up well. This morning I just did milk, PB and frozen pineapple and it was so foul. I typically make them the night before to not wake DH in the AM, though I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.
  • What are your workout routines looking like these days?  Modifications, new findings? I'm still doing (non-prenatal) yoga 5-6 days/week. So far I'm still loving it, but I'm definitely modifying more each week. I basically can't do any of the poses that require laying on your back anymore, even with pillows. So I do moves from Tabletop position instead. Also been walking 3-4 days/week. That's been a fun addition, because DH usually walks with me and it gives us a good time to catch up. We try to make it a challenge each time and get a faster mile time than before. So far we've plateaued at about 13 minutes/mile, and I'm guessing we'll stay there because I almost died trying to beat it.  :D

Goals for July? My  main goal is just to see if I can keep up the current status of working out 6-7 days/week total. I'm guessing it will get much harder as I enter the 3rd trimester in less than two weeks!

Questions? Not right now, hope everyone is having luck with your current journeys!
  • SLou24SLou24 member

First of all, I can't believe it's July.

Still low impact and have to be careful with weight lifting due to placenta previa. Last week I got in 2 good lifts though, in addition to a few other workouts and it felt so good. It's so important to me to keep my strength up as much as possible, so I'm doing what I can while within my restrictions. I'm aiming for 2 lift days per week and 2 low impact days that are more cardio based.

Goals for July? 
    Just to keep up my strength as much as I can!

Questions? 

No questions right now, just waiting for this dang placenta to move up.

• @quidditchcapn1120 funny you mentioned about spin getting easier later in 2nd tri because I definitely noticed the same! I stopped several weeks ago due to uncomfortableness but just picked it up again this week. My prior knee injury has been a pain in the ass to deal with so I’m limited with what I can do that won’t irritate it more. Spin is great for my knees and so I gave it another try this week and went 4x this week and felt great! 

Im hoping to keep spin up now again for as long as I can. 
  • @quidditchcapn1120 @jal88144 That is REALLY interesting to hear that spin has gotten easier again! I stopped waaaaay back in the first trimester because I was uncomfortable. But I might give it another try now and see what happens. We have a spin bike here at the house and it would be great to have that option when it's too hot outside for my walks. 
  • It’s already a new month!  What are your challenges? 

Goals for July? 

Questions? 
    Definitely feeling more tired these days! I think the heat has really gotten to me. Trying to stay super hydrated and make sure I’m eating enough to keep up my energy. 

Still working out which I’m really happy about! I am mixing up weights, cardio and yoga about 5 times per week. Also walking daily as we have a dog that LOVES his walks. So those aren’t optional LOL. 

Overall goals are to keep staying active as much as possible and realize that my strength/stamina aren’t what they were pre-pregnancy. It’s definitely gotten harder! Also be more patient and understanding about my body and all the changes going on. 

Questions-has anyone else had a difficult time adjusting to your new body? 
  • @fitmom2b I have been having a hard time adjusting to my new body. Sometimes I love it but other times it’s just hard not feeling in control of it!  I know it sounds ridiculous but I am dreading the impending stretch marks.  

My work year ended two weeks ago (I work in a public school) so I have recently picked up my workouts.  I’ve started walking more and taking a Body pump class at my gym.  

Some challenges: tons of ligament pain during exercise- even walking!  My Dr recommended I get a belly band thing to support.  Anyone use one and have one that they love?  

Goals for July?  My goal is to workout 4x per week even if it’s just walking!

• I got my sending workout of the week in. Does anyone want to be my accountability buddy for goals? We can check in with each other every couple of days to make sure we're sticking to our weekly goals. 
  • I've really fallen off the wagon with my workouts. I'm still getting LISS workouts in 5 days a week, and occasional yoga. But I skipped my circuit training one day and now it's been 3 weeks 😬 
  • I got my sending workout of the week in. Does anyone want to be my accountability buddy for goals? We can check in with each other every couple of days to make sure we're sticking to our weekly goals. 
    I would love to be your accountability buddy!! 🤗
  • fit-mom2b said:
    I got my sending workout of the week in. Does anyone want to be my accountability buddy for goals? We can check in with each other every couple of days to make sure we're sticking to our weekly goals. 
    I would love to be your accountability buddy!! 🤗
    Awesome! 

I just finished my 3rd workout of the week for the first time in who knows how long. 💪

How's your week going so far?
  • @shesha15zap that’s awesome! Good for you!! This past week was good for workouts/activity. I’ve currently got some cold/scratchy throat thing going on so just stuck to walking and cardio today. Hoping to do some weights tomorrow if I’m feeling up to it! 

What kind of workouts do you like to do?
  • @fit-mom2b right now I really like the Jillian Michaels Yeah Baby program. When I'm not pregnant, I really like running. It's so hot right now though that I'm not missing it too much. 

I wish I could find a prenatal yoga class nearby but no luck yet on that.

What kind of weight program?
  • @fit-mom2b right now I really like the Jillian Michaels Yeah Baby program. When I'm not pregnant, I really like running. It's so hot right now though that I'm not missing it too much. 

I wish I could find a prenatal yoga class nearby but no luck yet on that.

What kind of weight program?
    It’s hot here too!!! I don’t know how anyone is out running these days. We’re in the 90s in northern VA 😩

We don’t have any prenatal classes that I’m aware of either. I just tell the instructors that I’m pregnant and they will either give me modifications or I’ll just do my own. Luckily I’ve been doing yoga for almost 3 years so I’m fairly comfortable with everything unless it’s lying on my stomach or deep twisting. 

I actually do do my own thing when it comes to weights! No specific program but will break up my days into upper and lower body and do cardio and/or yoga in between weight lifting days! 
  • *Dirty lurker from Feb 2020* Making the rounds to share a link for ladies wanting to check-in frequently with other fit mamas. Trying to get a fitness group off the ground if anyone is interested!
    https://forums.thebump.com/group/1372-fitness-mamas
  • @craftywitch thank you!! Just requested to join 🤗
  • @craftywitch I just requested to join as well. Thanks for letting us know about the group!
  • @fit-mom2b I really don't feel like working out today, but I am going to force myself to do it. How's your week going so far?
  • @shesha15zap week has been okay! I was able to work out in some form Monday and Tuesday, and walked the dog a couple miles this morning but I don’t consider that a workout 😜 I’m still sick and going to the doctor tomorrow for my glucose screening so I’ll ask them about whatever sickness I have. Hoping to be back to myself soon! I think I will either try some yoga or light cardio tomorrow. 

Hope your workout goes well! Sometimes I tell myself I’ll just do cardio for 20min if I don’t feel up to a full session. Often times 20 minutes flies by and I’m able to squeeze in more time! Just a little tip that works for me 🤗
  • @fit-mom2b you're right. After I start, I don't want to stop in the middle of a workout. I did get through yesterday. 💪

Hope your glucose screen goes well today and the doc can get you some answers on why you aren't feeling well. 🤞
  • @shesha15zap yay so glad to hear that!!! 🤗 sometimes just starting is the hardest part but once you get into it, it’s much easier! 

And thank you! The drink didn’t taste terrible but I don’t tolerate sugar very well so I didn’t feel great after. But it’s done thank goodness! And nothing about this sickness-just have to wait it out and treat the symptoms unfortunately 😓 hoping it goes away soon! 

Happy Friday eve 😁
  • I don't have a work out routine as I never worked out really before this baby, but we have our Walking challenge at work and I try to really get the daily 7000 steps for it. My Fitbit goal is 10000. I've been taking the kids outside, would like to walk to the parks once a day hopefully. It finally started getting hot hot here so the backyard is as far as we've made it. After this baby though, I'm definitely getting a routine. I have a meal plan and a protein replacement meal shake in place that also helps with breastfeeding! I'm just gonna need the motivation and support😂

• @andromedacorrine2 walking is great!! I don’t blame you for not wanting to be out in the heat. It’s unbearable! Is it better in the mornings and/or evenings at all? 

Thats awesome you have a meal plan etc for post baby! Where did you get it from? And what protein are you using?! I’ve been using the brand Orgain when I’m in a rush or need extra protein and it’s actually really good! 🤗
  • I found a brand called Boobie Body on Instagram and have been following them a lot. Since my pumping break has to be during my lunch, and I can't store food in the mother's room, I'll need an alternative to lunch cause it takes 3 minutes to walk down to our cafeteria and then you have to fight for a microwave. I figure I can eat some of my real lunch during my 10 minute break 2 hours before that, then snack and drink the meal replacement while I'm pumping, so I'm not starving. 
    Pinterest is where a lot of my ideas come from but my cousin recently had helped me get active with Shaklee and she has a group I'm part of on FB that puts lots of meal plans/dietary ideas up. So I'm using that too!

• @fit-mom2b how are you feeling this week?

I got my workout in yesterday. I'm on week 4 of the Yeah Baby 2nd Trimester. I feel pretty good. Checking in with you is definitely motivating me to get my workout in. 

@andromedacorrine2 it's hard to figure out a pumping schedule,I but it seems like you have it figured out :) I'm not looking forward to that part of going back to work after maternity leave. How much time are you taking off after the baby is born?
  • @shesha15zap
    I am taking my 6 weeks Short term disability and then I'm trying to figure out if we can make a trip to Florida possible next year. If we can, I'm gonna wait to use my four weeks for that. With my daughter, she was EBF, so once I figured my pumping schedule at work out, everything else fell in place. How ever I also worked 5 nights a week, not three days a week. So this time will be a little more difficult maintaining my pumping at home to make sure I have plenty for the baby. 

Since my lunch break is the only time I get, I figure it's as good a time to start a protein shake and meal replacement. We also have a small gym on site at our plant and I'd like to start using that next year. Hardly anyone uses it so I'd feel comfortable being there 😂

• @andromedacorrine2 I forget what state you are in, but you might want to check your state's pumping law. For us the following applies:
    "This law guarantees breastfeeding mothers the right to pump milk at work for three years after giving birth. They have the right to use paid break or meal times, or reasonable unpaid break times, to pump milk. Employers must attempt to accommodate an employees' request for a private place to pump milk. They cannot discriminate against employees who choose to pump milk at work or retaliate against women who assert their rights to do so."
    Perhaps if you have additional breaks they might be unpaid, but I don't think you should have to be sacrificing your meal break for pumping.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • I'm in IL and very up to date all things breastfeeding as it's a huge passion of mine and they just changed the law last year to requiring a 30 minute paid break for pumping. Since all of our breaks are paid save 15 minutes of our 20 minute lunch, that's the only break they have allotted for it unfortunately. And the law writes in that a mothers room cannot be used to store food or to make food in, so I can't keep a lunch in the fridge and they can't put a microwave in the room 😔 we only get up to a year of pumping too!!! I sooooo wish we got 3 years, that would be amazing!!! I used my entire year with DD.  
    The law used to require only a 30 minute unpaid break and I had to pump on my lunch then too cause it was our longest break we had. It also sucks our room is ALLL the way up by the offices and our cafeteria is smack in the middle of the plant. So by the time I got up there to pump after hearing food, id have 15 minutes to pump. I already asked HR if the 30 minutes starts from when I enter the room and she told me no, it starts from the start of my break 😑 

• Well what I just read actually states that we may request extra breaks but they must comply with our work schedule and can be denied if asking for too long or too many. But extra breaks must also be paid(which all 4 of ours are except 15 of our 20 minute). I'll have to talk to my HR lady again then, cause she explained I only get to use my lunch as it's our longest break and avoids breaking production patterns.

• Wow, at least they will give you the paid breaks though. I used to do it broken up so that I would take a 15 minute paid break mid morning, pump for 15 minutes of my 30 minute lunch, and then a last mid afternoon break. But I guess it all also depends on how much your job will work with you on that. That'd be great if they'd pass the 3 year law before next year is up 🤷‍♀️
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • No kidding! I'm gonna stop by her cubicle tomorrow.amd go back over it just so I know I have all the facts right! But I am pretty sure that's how she explained it to me!

• @fit-mom2b how did last week end up for you?