Trying to Get Pregnant

Weekly Randoms w/o 7/15

13»

Re: Weekly Randoms w/o 7/15

• So, I’m having a personal issue with my useless co-worker and I’m hoping for some advice. DH told me to go to HR and complain, but I know from past history in my department that causing drama generally doesn’t end well, so I’m worried about making the situation worse. My useless co-worker has been making “small talk” about my reproductive plans. He frequently asks about my plans for kids. That would be less offensive if I wasn’t dealing with IF, but I’ve been dealing with it, because it’s not so bad and lots of people ask questions like that. On my birthday, he asked how old I was and then told me I was about to be too old to have kids. I told him that was a rude thing to say and walked away. I wanted to say some things back, but I like my job for the most part and I assume that I would get fired if I said what I was thinking. Then, yesterday, we were in a meeting together and he told people that I’m pregnant (which of course isn’t true and is super hurtful as I would love to be pregnant right now). I just corrected him and said that I’m not pregnant multiple times. But, it bothered me for the rest of the day and I’m still mad about it now. Is this the sort of thing you would complain about to HR? Or would that be overreacting?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Loading the player...
  • chichiphinchichiphin member
    edited July 2019
    @mercury94 that is gender discrimination and harassment. report him ASAP. edit to say - if they shrug you off, threaten to report this to EEO. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• also @mercury94 I read this and think... 

**tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• @mercury94 I would 100% go to HR.  That's inappropriate.  You don't go around telling people that he's sterile or that he's a virgin.  It's a part of your life that isn't his to talk about.
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    @mercury94 wtf is wrong with this guy that he’s so interested in your uterus? Not only is that rude, that’s creepy. I think I would probably go to HR as well, especially since he’s doing it in front of other people so there are witnesses to his weird ass behavior. 
  • bows22bows22 member
    edited July 2019
    I agree with @ruby696. This is how I would have to handle something like that, even though it’s not right that it’s that way. 

Edit to add - That being said, if you want to go to HR you would be totally justified in doing so! He is way way out of line. But if you are worried about the fallout, @ruby696’s approach sounds perfect. 
  • bluetickgalbluetickgal member
    edited July 2019
    @mercury94 I’d like to say I’d lean towards confronting him with a warning about HR (as others have suggested above)...but I would have a hard time confronting and just go straight to HR myself. If you feel comfortable confronting him though, that may be the best first step...but it sounds like you’ve given him the impression already that you don’t think his comments are funny or appreciated and they’ve continued! That is ridiculous though, why would he make comments about you being pregnant in a meeting?! Sorry you have to deal with this jerk!! 

Edited for clarification.
  • @mercury94 I hate that you, and women in general, have to deal with this crap. You’ve gotten some great advice. I hope he stops immediately.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @mercury94 I also work in a male dominated field, and as much as I would love to tell you to report him and it will be handled properly, my own past experiences with reporting a former coworker to HR for harassment have provided me with zero confidence in that system actually working the way it should.  It did far more harm than good in my case.  I love @ruby696's advice, if you have that kind of confidence.  I hate that we as women have to worry about how we are perceived by our male coworkers when we find ourselves in this kind of a situation.  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• @shamrocandroll That’s another issue. I’ve been involved in two previous HR investigations. One led to an employee getting fired for comments he made to me, but his supervisor was basically just looking for a reason to get rid of him anyway. The second was super traumatizing and did not change anything except to piss that person off and require me to keep working with her. I wasn’t even the complainant in the second one. Just got called to give a statement and it still created problems that I don’t want to deal with. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mercury94 It's so hard to be confrontational when it's a personal issue that you're sensitive about. If you can act like one of the guys in how you confront him, it will go over better. Direct and without any emotion. And if you can make him look like a creep publicly, he may avoid you all together. It sucks that when women are upset, it's because we're women, not because a man was an asshole. Another option would be to ask about his prostate every time he brings it up, but that might get you in trouble and he might think it's a fun joke between the two of you, which you definitely don't want. You could also retort with something like, "apparently someone needs more harrassment training." If you say it in front of others, especially supervisors, it might send a message. 
  • @mercury94 I am so sorry you have to deal with this loser.  What he is saying to you is beyond creepy and inappropriate.  Has your employer distributed and had you all sign a sexual harassment policy?  I would look that over (if you haven't already) because he could be violating that policy with his comments.  
  • @emeraldduchess Yes and we all did sexual harassment training a few years ago, but I can’t remember if that was before he started here. But, the policy basically requires you to confront the person before you report them. It’s weird. Like, if he makes you uncomfortable, why should you have to talk to him about it?

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • inthewoods23inthewoods23 member
    edited July 2019
    @mercury94 HR is never good at HR it seems.

My previous job had a 3rd party service called Listen Up which was a phone number you could call to submit a complaint if you weren't comfortable speaking with upper management and/or HR. I think they would gather info from the caller and would take that information to our HR for them to investigate.

I only saw it in action once while I was at the company and it was in regards to my boss. Never found out who had made the initial call, but my boss ended up getting fired shortly after the investigation was done. She wasn't fired due to the investigation, but an incident with her behavior that occurred shortly after the investigation was probably the final straw.

I wish more companies used a service like this because it can be so helpful when you have employees who don't feel empowered enough to speak to management directly or is too afraid to.

ETA: fixed grammar
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • My internet was down all day and it was a stressful day without my internet. Biggest FWP of all. Now I’m going to catch up on anything I might have missed around here.