Trying to Get Pregnant

IF testing and treatment w/o 7/15

Re: IF testing and treatment w/o 7/15

• @inthewoods23 I'm sorry you got caught off guard with that announcement, that's such a kick in the gut. And it sucks that you got that on top of the disagreement with your insurance AND having to schedule surgery. :(

@firebaby688 I love it when things fall into place with scheduling testing! Good luck with your ultrasound!

@Ndemick welcome! I'm sorry you find yourself here.  These ladies are a wealth of knowledge, I've only been on this thread for a few weeks and I've already learned SO much.

@begging4abump that's infuriating that your RE didn't follow up! 

@NYTino24 ugh, I am so sorry that it looks like you'll have to do a lot of appointments after school starts. I know how hard it is to ask for the time off, not to mention making lesson plans. 

@ruby696 that's definitely a lot of information! I'm so glad that your RE is ready to get things started. Hope you can get over the insurance hurdle really quickly!

@bluetickgal good luck with your bloodwork on Friday! I think they'll be doing some post-O testing on me, too. Why they didn't do it last cycle, I have no idea. *shrug* It's funny, before this process started I used to have panic attacks over bloodwork. Now I'm so used to it, it's no problem, I don't even flinch. I'll take the small wins where I can!
  • Loading the player...
  • @hanshotfirst77 that’s great that insurance is covering more testing than you thought! 

@Ndemick welcome and good luck with your first IUI! 

@begging4abump that stinks your RE didn’t tell you about needing the US earlier. Hopefully all goes well Friday though and no changes will be made to your timeline! 

@ruby696 glad your consult went well! Those are some big decisions...hopefully your OB can get the referral sent over ASAP and that will at least take the insurance concern away!! 

@emeraldduchess thanks! I totally understand...I’ve had so much bloodwork at this point, it’s really no big deal anymore! 

@NYTino24 ugh, that’s frustrating they wouldn’t do the progesterone BW even after you waited there for it! Sorry about your car issues too...ugh, I feel like mechanics can be the worst about treating women differently! Hopefully they can get it fixed once & for all though! 

@bobbyflies2020 good luck with the MRI today, hopefully it will go by quickly and you won’t feel too claustrophobic! Yes, I feel like testing is a double-edged sword...it’s nice to know what’s going on, but there’s always the fear of the worst too! Hopefully the genetic testing found no issues!! 
  • @mokay19 you were right - I took one cheapie and it was a TERRIBLE idea. total squinter form the trigger shot so there is now way in hell I'll go through squinter hell for the next few days. Done testing until Monday (12DPO) because I would be late. 
    @begging4abump I'm so sorry for all of the frustration! It actually was not difficult to get a second opinion appt from an RE with my insurance etc. Maybe try calling around for first available and say you'd like to get a second opinion?
    @ruby696 AHH!! so much info!! I'm sorry you have to make that hard choice about paying. Perhaps call the OB asap and let them know the timeline? And then as soon as they send it to insurance, call the insurance ASAP and ask if they receive it and explain the timeline? My insurance allowed an "expedited" review once I explained where I was in my cycle and I might miss a valuable opportunity. BE LITIGIOUS if needed lol
    @bobbyflies2020 You got this with insurance! It was super scary the first time I the bills started to hit - but I called my mom (because moms know EVERYTHING about health insurance) and she explained so much.... which obviously means she knows now. BUT it was worth it. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• @b_1029 and @ruby696 I am excited for your appointment and upcoming IVF!! It seems like a few of us are going through our first round of IVF at the same time. My consult for surgery and IVF will be next week.

@ruby696 Did they recommend fresh over frozen because it has higher success rates? If I were you I would wait for insurance coverage and save $$ for PGS testing in case you need it for a future round and it is rarely covered.

@inthewoods23 Sorry to hear about the polyp/lining. I aldo have to have surgery before IVF. Maybe we will be on the same timeline.

@b1029 As far as questions. Maybe ask for the stats on multiples and state your preference on that so you can discuss options?

@chichiphin Sorry the trigger and progest is so unpleasant. Sending you good thoughts and vibes this week!!

@hanshotfirst77 I am so excited for your IVF! From what I've heard it can move very quickly once you do the ER. 

@begging4abump WTF. How irritating. Sorry, I missed some things. Did you have to have surgery/saline for your endo? Do you know where your endo is? I am really curious!
    Me: 35 Husband: 40
    TTC #2: Jan 2019
     DS: 2.5 yo 
     EDD: 12/2/16 DOB: 10/22/16
    (Previously MBS2016 Dec 2016 board
    <3         <3 
  • For all IVFers, DH and I were talking more and we were discussing paying for it.... with zero insurance coverage, did you pay OOP? Did you get a personal loan? Do doctors offer payment plans? 
    I’m still hoping to do a cheaper/mini but just in case we can’t, I’m thinking about the best way to pay for it. 
  • @mokay19 I'm not at IVF yet, but an obnoxious planner. Some clinics offer discounts and plans. The major medical center/teaching hospital here actually offers single-cycle packages as low as $8,500 for a single fresh cycle. Perhaps look in to one that is close to you? 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• @bobbyflies2020 good luck today with your MRI! You got this! 

@NYTino24 sounds like you had a really crappy day yesterday between the OB and the car. So many hugs to you, I hope that today is better. <3
  • @NYTino24 That is incredibly annoying and not worth ice cream and pedicures. I feel like women always have to wait longer anyway because they feel like women won't know how long some should take. 😡

@bobbyflies2020 Good luck today! I'll be thinking of you (and sending all the non-claustrophobic vibes your way).

Also, they want to do fresh over frozen because with my egg quality issues, they want to do a three day transfer and testing requires at least five days before they can freeze. My doctor doesn't think we'll get enough eggs to risk losing some because they kept them out of the uterus for too long.

@bluetickgal and @chichiphin Apparently my OB is on vacation this week. The nurse was going to see if she could write the letter. Okay, cause I'm sure my insurance company will accept that. Maybe have another doctor write it? Sorry, I'm just a little bitter.

@mokay We may just get a personal loan to pay for our half (my mom was amazing and offered to pay for half). I tried to use part of my 401k, but my employer only allows me to take a loan out for it, as opposed to taking an early withdrawal. 
  • @mokay19 I know our clinic has a shared risk plan where you can pay one price no matter how many retrievals and transfers you need. I don’t know any details, but if it only takes you one cycle, it helps lower the cost for someone who might need 3 or whatever. I’m pretty sure it’s more than one cycle would be. Maybe they have something like that?
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @mokay19 I’m so sorry that the price was so much higher than you’d hoped. It must have been so hard to take all that in. I have nothing really helpful to add, just a hug. ❤️ I hope whatever you decide when it comes time to decide, you feel at peace that that’s the best route for you.
  • @mokay19 I'm so sorry that everything costs so much! We've had similar conversations and ended up realizing that IUI alone will stretch our budget, and once we hit IVF territory, we'll have to have a loooooooooooooooong talk. It sucks that it's so much money.

I hope surgery goes well and you guys come to a decision that gives you peace (and, hopefully, a baby!) 
    Me: 28, DH: 28
    Diagnosed with PCOS: Summer 2007
    Married: July 2013
    Began TTC: June 2015

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/58d258

• @mokay19 ugh I’m sorry. Are you able to shop around?? 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

• @mokay19 I'm so sorry about everything being so expensive.  It's incredibly unfair. 
  • ruby696ruby696 member
    edited July 2019
    @mokay19 I'm sorry the cost is so high. It really is obscene. I'm a poor responder, even with injectables. My RE told me that I can do an IUI cycle with better/more meds, but that would probably cost around $7k just for meds and IUI's don't have a super high success rate. We decided we might as well do IVF if the meds were going to cost the same. I wish there was an easy answer, but it's so hard because everything is so damn expensive. 

@emeraldduchess I'm curious to hear what your RE says about MTHFR. I'm heterozygous C677T, which admittedly is the mildest variant. But when I brought it up to my RE, she told me it was "all a bunch of hooey." Uh, okay. Personally, I do feel like it makes a difference. I would also go through all the supplements you're taking (if any) to make sure they're necessary and you're taking the right dosage.

Eta: clarification
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    @mokay19 I’m so sorry, that’s so frustrating. I hope you’re able to shop around or work something out with the financial department. Bleh. 

@emeraldduchess I think everything you’re planning on asking sounds good! I’m planning on asking mine for lifestyle recommendations (aka the internet says never exercise strenuously but also exercise the way you have been and I just want to know her thoughts) 
  • @mokay19 so sorry to hear that the mini IVF isn't a good option for you. We had a lot of discussion about moving to IVF since the cost is so much more significant than IUIs. My doctor typically recommends trying IUI 4 times but after 3 (which I swear is what she originally said) we just felt like we were wasting money and time. Hopefully the loans/payment plans can be a good option for you if you move into IVF
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @mokay19 I am sorry about the price. It is not fair and it makes me angry. Sending you good thoughts while you continue on your goal!

@emeraldduchess I know what you mean about overloading on information. Right now, my mind is on the ER and risks so I would ask what to expect during ER? If there is any risk of hyper stimulation or internal bleeding and possible ways to minimize the risk. Are you a good candidate for a natural trigger? What is his ideal # of eggs for retrieval? 
    <3         <3 
  • edited July 2019
    @mokay19 I recommend joining Matt and Dorees Eggcelent Adventure Facebook group. It has 5.5k members who have all done IVF. Oops, sent too soon. It is a great group and they might have some good advice regarding financing IVF. 
    <3         <3 
  • @bobbyflies2020 oooh thank you for the group suggestion. I saw their podcast pop up the other day!
  • Sigh. MH had his back-up SA this morning and urology appointment this afternoon. The urologist downplayed the morphology count problem and MH is celebrating. He is happy to believe anything that vindicates him. I guess I will let him enjoy the moment, because my RE doesnt think his sperm have a chance. 🙄
    <3         <3 
  • @bobbyflies2020 what was his morphology %? I hate that doctors say morphology is only maybe a problem. Like, if it wasn't a problem when then why does ICSI with IVF exist??
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle

Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • @bobbyflies2020 I hate conflicting medical info like that. Of course he's going to believe the doc who tells him what he wants to hear. 

Meanwhile I am over here freaking out because the nurse at my RE's office said my AMH level wasn't an issue, but almost everything my google search turns up says otherwise. 😰
  • @emeraldduchess I don't recall, what AMH number did you have?
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • @bobbyflies2020 Ugh, I'm sorry. That really sucks because your poor husband is going to feel twice as bad when he learns the truth. Thanks for nothing urologist. 

@emeraldduchess What's your AMH number?
  • @ruby696, @inthewoods23 it was 0.97 and the nurse said 1.0 was what they consider normal but mine was so close she didn't think it would be a concern. Some of what I am finding says it's fine, just on the lower part of the normal range. Other articles I found said it's really low for my age and cause for concern. There's so much info/misinformation out there that I can't wrap my head around it. I know I should try to stay calm and wait to hear what my RE has to say but that's easier said than done. 
  • @emeraldduchess Unfortunately, I don't think there is a simple answer. I had my FSH tested and I was at 11.8. The general consensus of the internet and the lab that did the bloodwork is that anything under 12 is normal. My RE, however, said she likes to see it under 10 and mine was pretty high (hence the early stage DOR dx). From everything I've seen, the numbers are important but not everyone reacts the same way to their numbers, if that makes sense. So with my loss history, even though my number wasn't considered technically outside of normal, my RE feels it explains why I'm not producing good eggs. Personally, I would defer judgment (Ha! Easier said than done, I know) until you've spoken with your RE. Probably the nurse was mostly right - that is really close to normal. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? 
  • @ruby696 thanks for talking me down. <3 I am 37, I'll be 38 in December. I did see what I thought was a decent number of follicles on my ultrasound last week, which is adding to my confusion. I think you are absolutely right, that numbers don't tell us everything, and I shouldn't get stressed until I speak to the RE. Honestly everything I am finding is saying different things and I'm probably not even qualified to interpret results of these studies I am finding. 
  • Anytime @emeraldduchess <3 And FWIW, my RE was very confident that with the right medication to get my pituitary glad to release more FSH, I'm young enough to have a good result. So even if you find out you are in the early stages of DOR, that doesn't mean it's the end of the road for you. There are definitely options.
  • @emeraldduchess I feel the same when I did research to understand AMH. My number is around 4.5 and I read that anything above 4 indicated PCOS. Not once has my RE ever said anything about PCOS nor did she have any concern with my number.

And FWIW too, with follicle count my RE likes to see around 10 follicles on each side and they always counted over 30 total during my initial BW and tests last year and when I started IVF and again, that was never a concern to them that I had so many as that can indicate PCOS (or, again, so I've read).

I'm sure there's some tolerance with the numbers so you're close to normal for your age for AMH so that's probably why there's no concern.
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • ruby696ruby696 member
    edited July 2019
    Hey @inthewoods23, are you the one who wanted to know how much Lupron cost? I just got the estimate from my pharmacy and one unit of Leuprolide is $567.

Eta: 1 unit = 1mg/0.2ml (two week supply)
  • @ruby696 yes thank you! If I remember correctly, when it was covered I paid $100 something.

@emeraldduchess that's a pretty good number of follicles! You have such a great outlook 🙂❤️
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause