December 2019 Moms
Options

Working Moms- w/o 7/8

How is the transition back to a full work week going?

Re: Working Moms- w/o 7/8

• Options
    Oh you know... just over here seeing what I need to do to take a lower paying job, to not have to deal with this place anymore lol

• Options
    I'm psyching myself up to tell work at the end of the week.  I'm trying really hard to have a positive and confident week so the discussion goes well and I feel in control. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Work is picking up again this week. Basically just prepping things for when I'm on vacation next week. 🙂
  • Options
    Yesterday was a zoo. Holy shit. I’ve got two people out - so it’s me and one employee. And I’m tired aka want to goof off in my office. 
  • Options
    A lot going on this week for a slow week. 🙄

our systems are so slow, and something wasn’t properly communicated to me so I have a comment on one of my work papers that says “I would expect the comments from the first review to be on this file by the time I review” and i just wanted to say I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THIS FILE!!!
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Options
    Just when I thought summer camps were slowing down I get hit with another round of background checks and new hires to process. WHY can't they back fill by admin who left?!
  • Options
    Home with a sick 5-year old today and probably tomorrow, so I'm working from home. not too bad for me so far. 

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• Options
    I started a new job yesterday and I can’t even have my phone on me while I’m there so my activity level here is probably going to drop drastically. 
    I’m happy I have something, but still nervous they’ll have “some reason” to let me go during the probation period once they find out I’m pregnant, since I need to be there at least 16 weeks to be able to get any maternity benefits. 
  • Options
    So I work in a locked mental health facility. This week a client is specifically targeting pregnant women, she punched one in the belly four times yesterday. So far clients don’t know I’m pregnant but it is probably the most nervous I’ve ever been working there (almost 10 years). So I’m having a great week, ugh. 

Today I sent an email to supervisors with specific directions on what to do if I get hurt. Who to contact. My OB’s name and practice. And my preferred hospital. 
    Me: 39  DH: 30
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:
    BFP #1 2/26/17, MMC 5/2/17
    BFP #2 10/10/17, MC 11/4/17
    BFP #3 12/17/17 Birth 8/13/18
    BFP #4 4/21/19 Birth 12/5/2019

• Options
    @Stac928 How frightening!  Are your supervisors supportive and can they help develop a plan to try to keep you safe?  I can relate because my job can also be dangerous.  I work with teenagers with severe autism, many of whom display aggression, and one young man has a history of attacking pregnant women.  I have an accommodations letter from my doctor excusing me from physical intervention with students in crisis, but I still feel vulnerable.  The job can be unpredictable, and I've been injured several times over the years.
  • Options
    @blueskychicago12 yes they are. Today I had case management with another client on that living area (who is also super aggressive, last week chased me off the ward threatening to kill me) and one of our other staff was near enough to keep me safe. They are looking at my group schedule to limit time on that living area. And there are a few other ideas being discussed.

But like you said, I feel very vulnerable. Knock on wood, I’ve never been injured. Ten years in high security forensic mental health with no injuries isn’t a bad track record. Fingers crossed that track record holds. 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Options
    @Stac928 that’s intense. Is your coworker who got punched ok? I can’t even imagine. 
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 she was doing physically well when she was checked out Monday. She was following up with her regular OB yesterday and I haven’t heard how that went. Mentally/emotionally not as well. She will not work on that living area for the rest of her pregnancy. No direct care (psych aids) staff that are known to be pregnant will (they can’t legally ask if women are pregnant but if someone discloses it then they can make dang sure to protect them). They just can’t make that same accommodation for me because my job is different.  They will do everything they can to protect us though. 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Options
    @Stac928 so scary. 
  • Options
    @Stac928 I'm sorry to hear that you have to worry about that! It's scary. Thinking of you.
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    Baby #3 due 1/19, m/c 6/18  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• Options
    I'm having a hard time transitioning back to work this week, and its already Wednesday. I'm already in nesting mode and all I want to do is go home and clean. 
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    Baby #3 due 1/19, m/c 6/18  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• Options
    @janiep81 SAME!!! Literally, I went home yesterday after work and started pulling all sorts of stuff out of our kitchen cabinets in an effort to re-organize and make some kind of space for future baby bottles, sippy cups, etc. And then I got overwhelmed about 45 minutes in and stopped.

Also, I now have something like 20 coffee mugs just stacked up on our counter to give to Goodwill. So my organizing has temporarily made our place a wreck, haha.
  • Options
    My company switched their computer system over the holiday. It is lagging like crazy and is making our work environment heck. So yeah, life. But on the plus side I'm getting a new fridge next week 😇 Yay!
  • Options
    @Stac928 I'm glad that your supervisors have been supportive and willing to help problem-solve solutions for safety.  As well they should!  While my direct co-workers (other teachers, classroom aides) have been really supportive and try to look out for me, I cant say the same for my supervisors and HR.  The week after I told them about my pregnancy, they put a new student in my class whose file states that he throws tables and chairs.  Their attitude seems to be "this is your job, take it or leave it".  I had to get three letters from my doctor before they approved an accommodation of me not doing physical restraints with students.  I've worked there for 10 years and I'm super disappointed.  Once l use up all my banked PTO to fund my maternity leave, I'll be looking for a new job.
  • Options
    Stac928Stac928 member
    edited July 2019
    @blueskychicago12 that sucks. I would be looking too. It feels so vulnerable. I can’t imagine having to fight HR/supervisors on top of that. 

HR hasn’t been involved yet. It’s a big organization so they are pretty far removed since I haven’t had to actually officially request anything. We are taking care of it mostly internally on our team. I’m not even sure facility administration and HR know I’m pregnant yet lol 

I’m also probably benefitting from a big culture change we’ve had in the last 5-8 years. It used to be a kind of “yea people get hurt here, it’s the job” attitude. We started addressing our staff trauma and really focusing on the wellness of our staff. At the same time we transitioned from a “quick hands on” culture to a strong focus on verbal de-escalation and evasion. Our restraints are probably 25%-30% of what they were 10-15 years ago. So 10 years ago I would have been told suck it up. Now we recognize the trauma for staff that can occur working there and address it, including individual supports. It’s become expected. Which is nice. Right now if even tried to participate in a physical restraint other staff would stop me, step in between be to prevent it. It’s been a nice culture change. 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Options
    We are on the downhill slide of the work week! Happy Thursday! 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Options
    Ugh, I’m in a weird situation now where I’m 4 days into my new job and now I’ve been offered a contract in my actual industry - you know, the exact job I’ve been trying to get for the past year since being off my previous mat leave and finally gave up on. 

Theres a long list of pros and cons that I don’t have time to list right now, but I really don’t know what’s the best option right now :( 
  • Options
    @stac928 Oh my gosh!!!! How scary!! I pray all calms down and you and other pregnant staff are kept staff. 
  • Options
    mrszoobearmrszoobear member
    edited July 2019
    I had a rough end of the week/weekend. Thursday night I couldn't stop vomiting and had to go to the hospital at like 11pm for dehydration. Obviously I couldn't work Friday. I was texting HR (who doubles as office manager because that isnt a conflict of interest or anything) about next week.

I'm having to switch OBGYN's for several reasons and have an appointment with my new doctor this coming Thursday for a first visit/ER follow up. I have to leave a little early that day. 

She (HR) wants me to come in early all week to make up the time I took off for being sick. I know I've missed a lot of work for being sick but that is 100% out of my control. I was in the hospital for Pete's sake! I know they are struggling with the work load while I'm off because I do a lot (for very little pay btw). But it's kinda their own fault for implementing a whole new computer system before it was finished and the bugs worked out.

On top of all this my gender reveal party is this afternoon. Help is limited because our parents (both mine and my husbands) moved really far away this past year. I have had a really hard time keeping any food down the last 3 days. Having to wake up at 5am tomorrow is going to suck more than I can say. I'm starting to debate if my job is even worth it at this point. 

When I talk to my new OBGYN I'm going to let him know the #1 reason my blood pressure is scary high is because of the stress from my job. I'm secretly hoping he writes me off work for an extended period of time to get it under control. 

Sorry for the mega rant! Just needed to vent a little.
  • Options
    @mrszoobear I am so sorry you are going through all that! Work needs to give you break, my goodness! I really hope you feel better. And fingers crossed that you really like your new OB!
  • Options
    @mrszoobear I am sorry work is causing you so much stress.  Our office manager and Hr is the same too, which has always baffled me.  I hope you are feeling better and can enjoy your gender reveal.
  • Options
    @mrszoobear that seems really over the top. I’m sorry they are causing you so much stress. 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Options
    @mrszoobear wait, I think you said before you missed time was unpaid? Right? I’m mindblown why they want you to make up time... if you’re full time and hourly and you’re working over 40 they’re going to owe you overtime unless you’re exempt.
  • Options
    @mrszoobear wait, I think you said before you missed time was unpaid? Right? I’m mindblown why they want you to make up time... if you’re full time and hourly and you’re working over 40 they’re going to owe you overtime unless you’re exempt.
    Yes, it would be overtime they are having to pay me. But I do more work than just my own and they pay me very little. So the benefits of me getting a few hours of overtime greatly outweighs them getting behind on order entry, production, customer service and the engineering research I do for them. But what they don't get is putting more work and stress on me is just going to make me sicker and thus miss more work 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    @mrszoobear outside of your health being #1 - as a small business owner their logic confuses me. there is no "making up time" on a time card employee to me. 
  • Options
    @anniemarie887 - I agree. But there isn't  much I can do about it. If I find a new job now, I won't be able to take the 12 weeks I need after the baby is born. And who knows if another employer would be any better? Ugh. Oh well.