March 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Vitamins

edited July 2019 in March 2020 Moms
Our very first Product Spotlight! We'll do "non-registry" items to start us off. 

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on these threads throughout your time at the board, not just during its week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week we're talking.... Vitamins!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For all...

What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why?
What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before these? Why the switch?
Any other vitamins you are taking & why?
Anything else related to vitamins to add?

For STMs/STM+s...

Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies?
Why/why not?

To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, based off of S19's, see here: March 2020 PSS Spreadsheet!
The above link for this weekly thread is now part of the board organization post (thanks, @varimama!) 
To make a suggestions having to do w/ the PSS, leave a comment on the spreadsheet itself OR reply to the board organization thread.
(ETA: put correct link & link affiliation)

Re: Product Spotlight: Vitamins

• Options
    edited July 2019
    What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why? Dynamite DM PlusTriMins because they have highly absorb-able, chelated forms of all vits/mins. And methylfolate instead of folic acid.
    What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before these? Why the switch? Same vitamins whether KU or not. They far exceed recommended amounts for all vits/minerals for pregnancy. 
    Any other vitamins you are taking & why? Extra methylfolate, DHA, Superoxide Dimutase (for immune support), and Vitamin D
    Anything else related to vitamins to add? Between all of my vitamins I swallow SO. MANY. PILLS. 

Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies? Yup
    Why/why not? because they're awesome!

ETA add more detail

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why? I'm taking a Best Nest Mama Bird vitamin, (the 1x/day one) because it is one of the brands the book IT STARTS WITH THE EGG recommends, & one of the reasons she does is bc it has folate & not folic acid. I wish I could buy it at the store though, but the cheapest way to get it is thru Amazon--and now that I'm Officially KU, I might subscribe thru there to save some $. 

Any other vitamins you're taking & why? I might add an extra folate, but I want to reread that part of ISWTE before doing so (bc once it gets to a certain level it can't hurt but also absorption might be impossible?)

Anything else related to vitamins to add? I've been taking pnvs since we've been trying last fall & I wanted to add that my LEAST favorite was the ALIVE brand--they smelled and tasted horrendous. DH has been on the Best Nest Go Dog Go, a fertility vitamin for men from them, for a few months, too. I suppose he's off the hook now...
  • Options

What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why? Nature's Made + DHA. It has both folate and folic acid. Bonus: they are free through my insurance. 

Any other vitamins you are taking & why? I need to pick up Vitamin D, as my levels are low. Not that uncommon for living in the NE though. My primary briefly mentioned taking extra iron...so I will ask at my appointment.

Anything else related to vitamins to add? It's worth checking with your health insurance to see if prenatals are covered. I contacted our prescription company and verified they're covered with prescription.
    BFP: 7/8/19
    EDD: 3/19/20

• Options
    What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why? Garden of Life Raw Prenatal
    What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before these? Why the switch? I didn't.
    Any other vitamins you are taking & why? DHA Supplement, also Garden of Life
    Anything else related to vitamins to add? Vitamins are important, and there are great ones and not so great ones, but in general, just taking SOMETHING puts you leaps and bounds above a lot of moms, so don't stress too much about it. 
    Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies? Why/why not? Yes. I never stop taking a prenatal because I nursed and then it was just what I had. I really like the Garden of Life because it's derived from Raw Food, (i.e. things your body is already made to absorb) and its 3 pills a day, so when nausea hits, I can take 1 with each meal if that sits better.  The DHA is strawberry flavored, so its not fishy. They just work for me. 

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• Options

For all...

What brand prenatal vitamins are you taking & why? Garden of Life VEGAN Prenatal Vitamin
    What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before these? Why the switch? I JUST switched from Rainbow Light Prenatals because I learned that the real form of folate is greater than and better absorbed than folic acid .
    Any other vitamins you are taking & why? Not yet! 
    Anything else related to vitamins to add? If you are a vegetarian or vegan, don't worry, there are SO many good options out there!

For STMs/STM+s...

Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies? As mentioned above, I switched from Rainbow Light to have one with folate and not folic acid. (BUT, guess what? I took the one with folic acid from the time I got pregnant with DD until this Monday and in that time birthed two perfectly healthy children, so?). 

*TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @RanFan28 +1 for Garden of Life. I am blown away by this one! I have zero gagging or nausea issues taking it. I just started this week on this one and it's a keeper (also great prices for it on Amazon)
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @EmilyLove25  YES! It comes in my subscribe and save box. Don't even have to think about it. LOL.

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• Options
    I’m taking Olly brand gummies. I’ve tried many different brands and my gag reflex is too strong to swallow a horse pill this time. Last pregnancy I took Trader Joe’s brand and they were fine! 
  • Options
    Prenatal Vitamin: Best Wellness Mama bird. I used their fertility prenatal prior to getting pregnant and tolerated it. Also it has probiotics which helps with the bloat.

Other vitamins: DHA, a B supplement because i am vegetarian, and low dose calcium and vitamin d supplement because i dont eat very much dairy.
  • Options
    I take Nature Made, have all 3 pregnancies. 

Tip for FTM, if they make you nauseous take them before bed, and not on an empty stomach. 
  • Options
    I’ve been taking the Whole Foods brand prenatal. I’m also taking a vitamin d and iron supplement. I’ve always struggled with low iron! 

I was looking at the Baby and Me 2 which one of my friends is taking but I’m having a hard time justifying the $40 price tag for a 30 day supply.