December 2019 Moms

Baby Gear Lists!

Re: Baby Gear Lists!

• ninrmsninrms member
    @bookworm492 @rjgmcmanus @anniemarie887 @ashorkey I am late to this worried-about-getting-to-the-hospital discussion, but I'm right there with you! I live in a very small town. I will need to deliver at a hospital that is a full 2 hours' drive away. We have a hospital is a 10 min walk from our house, but they don't have an OB practice and "don't take planned deliveries." (I'm not sure in what cases they actually will deliver, as I had a friend who gave birth last winter--for whatever reason, she showed up at the hospital in labor, and they opted to send her the two hours IN AN AMBULANCE instead of delivering.) Given that I live in Minnesota, and am due in December, I'm more than a bit nervous!

Question for you all...how on earth do you decide what kind of bed(s?) to use for baby? We're planning on room-sharing at first with our baby (not sure how long, at least several months, if not longer). I'd really like something that I can have up close to the bed, and I've been eyeing this bassinet. I love that it swivels and is mesh, but it's kind of pricey. Baby will also have a nursery upstairs, but I'm not sure how often he or she will be sleeping there. I'm also planning on getting a pack and play for our living room downstairs. My mom has a traditional bassinet that she used for my sisters, and also apparently has the cradle I used when I was a baby (wooden, rocks). Any thoughts on how to sort this out, or where to start?? 
  • @ninrms First of all, godspeed--I can't imagine being two hours away. My 23-minute drive suddenly pales in comparison.

Second, I registered for this: https://www.guavafamily.com/products/lotus-bassinet

It is pricey, but it beats buying a bassinet and a pack and play as separate items, and is instead an all in one. We're going to use it as a bassinet for the first few months in our room until he outgrows it, at which point we'll put him into his own nursery in the crib and then covert it to use as a travel crib/pack and play.

Personally, I'm the kind where the more combo/convertible items you can get, the better. I love that this is a bassinet/travel crib/pack and play all in one. We're also registered for a crib that eventually converts to a toddler bed, so we don't have to buy a separate one of those either. It just makes life easier, and though the upfront cost can be a little pricey, you're saving a decent amount over time by not having to buy new items.
  • Loading the player...
  • @ninrms I used the pack n play with ds for the first several months right next to the bed. I had a bouncer and swing that were mobile/in other rooms. Once he transitioned to his own room he had pretty much outgrown the swing and bouncer so we moved the pack n play to the family room. It was nice not having extra gear. Only downside would be size, having something that large on the side of your bed can be an eye sore and a pain to maneuver depending on the rooms layout. 
  • Has anyone tried primary.com for baby and kiddo clothes?  I'm drawn to the simplicity and the prices seem decent. Just wondering about the fabric and quality.
    @blueskychicago12 Yes! I love Primary. I still buy their stuff for my 5yo and 9yo DDs - especially pajamas. They're almost as good as Hanna Andersson and much less expensive. Overall, their stuff is a great value. I plan to do several primary pieces for DD3.  <3
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    Baby #3 due 1/19, m/c 6/18  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• TTM here, but its been a minute. I had my sister's hand-me-down Medela that is literally 18 years old now. I need a new pump. Anyone have any experience? I breastfed my last two for 2 years (but really didn't need to pump after 1 year). I didn't work full time then, though, so I didn't use the pump the same way I will with this one. I'd love something that is portable and  has a battery option. The Spectra (?) looks good but I'm nervous to devieate from Medela.
    DD#1 - 12/09  
    DD#2 - 7/13  
    Baby #3 due 1/19, m/c 6/18  
    DD#3 due 12/19!

• @janiep81 Check with your insurance carrier on what they'll cover! Some insurances will give you a breast pup for free, but only from certain providers--see what brands they will give you, or what they do. They might be like mine, where I have two options: I can either have a prescription from my doc written for one and submit it to them, or I can buy whatever one I want and they'll reimburse me up to a certain dollar amount.
  • @janiep81 Check our Lucie’s List and her section on pumps. Her reviews were really helpful and it compared the Spectra and Medela. I think I’m going with Spectra, hopefully my insurance company covers that one.
  • @ninrms we used an Arms Reach Cosleeper for 6 months in our room. Then transitioned to the crib in his room. 
    Me: 39  DH: 30
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:
    BFP #1 2/26/17, MMC 5/2/17
    BFP #2 10/10/17, MC 11/4/17
    BFP #3 12/17/17 Birth 8/13/18
    BFP #4 4/21/19 Birth 12/5/2019

• STM, TTM+ what were things you felt you needed for baby #2+ that you didn't have for #1?? I'm trying to come up with a list of things to get so we can slowly get them because where we live traditionally you only have baby shower for #1 but our church does a diaper shower so I know we will get diapers. 
  • @Peachie89 - double stroller, second car seat, diapers, clothes (1st was boy, 2nd was girl). Pretty much everything else I had. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Do you all think a diaper genie is necessary? Or is a sturdy garbage pail with a lid good enough?
  • Nordstrom anniversary sale starts for card members this week, and everyone on the 19th - worth checking out. Looks like last year some of the strollers were $200 off. 
  • @blueskychicago12 Diaper Genie is a cool concept, but not really necessary.  If all you’re doing is disposables and you have a tight space, it actually works pretty well to help you keep things contained and not stinky, but you have to buy the special bags to go with it.  Eventually, I just went to a normal can with lid, and it was fine 👍
  • @blueskychicago12 we like our diaper genie but it’s because our nosy dog can’t dumpster dive in it. If it weren’t for that a good trash can with a lid would be fine (our dog can open trash can lids) 

@Peachie89 double stroller, new nursery gear (our first will only be 14 months old and still in his nursery/crib), maybe clothes of this one is a girl. But we were team green with DS so a lot of the super little stuff is neutral. But also DS was born in August so the seasons are a bit off. We may still need clothes. And then consumable things like diapers, wipes, diaper cream that stuff. 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• @Peachie89 we also won’t have a shower but I did a registry anyway for the completion discount. Then we put aside money every week (the cost of daycare actually) and when we can finally do the completion discount we should have the money all set aside to do a big purchase without killing the budget 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• @ktmaesim we have that and will be getting two more. One for new baby and one for DH. We love it. We keep it in the diaper bag. 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Anyone willing to share their list of essentials for a newborn? We are going to use cloth diapers and are generally trying to buy as little as possible. Sorry if this has already come up...I just started making our list and quickly felt overwhelmed by sizes of diapers and quantities of things. We're in Maine and it's cold here in the winter! I keep thinking about how to keep this baby warm when we go outside but can't imagine a newborn snowsuit... any thoughts welcome!
  • @brrrrrrrrie A car seat cover, they’re fleece lined and have a flap to expose their faces when indoors. They’re wonderful. I think they’re called Cozy Cover at Walmart? Long sleeve onesies and gowns are easy to work with for nighttime changes and the Swaddle Me blankets are a must for bedtime in my opinion. Once baby outgrows those I switch to a sleep sack. Have a few packs of receiving blankets, mattress protectors, crib sheets and changing pad covers. Infant towels are cute but regular ones work fine, the smaller wash cloths are more manageable though. Footed sleepers are obvious but don’t go overboard with clothes. They grow so fast and it’s hard to predict what they’ll fit in before they’re here. Hope this helps! 
  • Registry checklist Babylist sent me.

• @brrrrrrrrie I'm unsure if we're going to cloth diaper,  but we're also trying to buy as little as possible (we try to avoid buying much in general to save for retirement and travel) I keep an eye on free/ cheap things on Facebook marketplace and craigslist. 
  • @brrrrrrrrie @bookworm492 I have had great luck with Facebook marketplace, clearance racks, and second hand stores. Aside from special outfits (like the onesie announcing our second baby) I’ve bought almost nothing full price and most is used. They outgrow things fast (clothes and gear). Very little is worn out.  I bought our swing for $25, bounced for $10 (or maybe $5), his walk behind toy was $5. And and all of it is in good enough shape for baby #2 still. 

I highly recommend second hand if possible.  
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• Thanks, you all! I'm mostly making a list of things for family to help me find secondhand.
    I saw a used bouncy seat (Fisher Price,  I think?) at my local thrift store the other day. I didn't buy it only because I was afraid of the rock & play recalls... are these things okay as long as babies aren't sleeping in them? 
    @bookworm492 I hear you on budgeting and saving. We're really into getting used stuff, but also motivated by a tight budget! I keep reading about all the stuff people buy that their kids never use... I'm trying to spend on the stuff that matters and to opt out of the stuff that doesn't. 
  • @ktmaesim so jealous of you that your SIL works for 4moms, I love that they donate to so many NICU’s. For the high chair, I got it for DS and liked everything except the crotch strap is so short. I got mine almost 3 years ago so they might’ve changed this since it was such a big complaint but with a big baby I had a very hard time doing the buckle. Just thought i’d let you know so you can ask her about that. 
  • For those who live in climates with cold winters, what kind of winter gear are you planning to get for your baby?  I'm planning on one of those bunting/covers for carseat and stroller, but what will you dress the baby in under that for frigid days?  Not that I plan to have my newborn outdoors in frigid temps, but we are in the city and I want her to be cozy if we have to walk a few blocks to the car, etc.  Snowsuit?  Something made of fleece?  I'm not sure what is appropriate! 🤔
  • @blueskychicago12 I’m wondering similar things. We had a summer baby the first time around. So far the car seat cover and more blankets are on my list (I have a bunch of linen ones but thinking something thicker might be necessary). I’m more likely to layer blankets and just do a white onesie plus long sleeve onesie and pants than much more for clothes. Too many layers under car seat straps isn’t great. 
    Married 1/28/17
    TW:

• @blueskychicago12 just layers. And blankets. No real gear here
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • anniemarie887anniemarie887 member
    edited July 2019
    @blueskychicago12 @Stac928 @mecoats my friend who had a nov  2018 baby recommends the car seat covers. She said to get a bunting but just know that it’s not safe to have that bunting on when you strap them in the car seat because they’re too bulky.  She said the JJ Cole ones are really popular but interfere with car seat straps which is a concern and recommended this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QYZ6CY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • edited July 2019
    @Stac928 @mecoats Thanks!  Ok, you have me convinced I don't need to go overboard with infant cold weather gear... however, I might have to get this because it is just too cute:
    https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/52109?page=infants-hi-loft-fleece-coveralls
    *edited - I read the reviews for the product above and everyone is saying the 0-3 month size was way too big for their baby.  So, although super cute, sounds impractical. 
  • @blueskychicago12 We live in the mountains and our daughter was 4 months old at the start of winter. We had a snowsuit for her to wear when we would go out and I would carry her, but beyond that we had a fleece car seat carrier,  warm blankets and then dressed her in long sleeves and flannel. Just as a reminder / PSA puffy snowsuits / jackets should not be worn in the car seat as they aren't safe. We wouldn't even bother putting a coat on her to go to and from the car because then you're just spending time taking it off when you could have the doors closed. Instead we would just wrap her in a blanket and snuggle her in which drove my MIL crazy. 
  • Good to know, @ashorkey @anniemarie887, thanks for sharing those safety tips!  It does seem like a hassle to have to remove a coat once you get into the car.  It sounds like the cover/blanket combo is a good solution for quick walks out to the car.  I might get a snowsuit of sorts in case we walk somewhere.  I run a lot of errands in the neighborhood on foot.
  • I ordered my LILLEbaby stuff this week- they were having a promo to go along with Prime Day, so it was good savings!  We’re in the heat for the most part, so I snagged an Airflow model and a Tie the Wrap 2.  I didn’t try the wrap last time, but I’m excited to try it this time!  Airflow will hopefully keep everybody from getting super sweaty when wearing baby👍😊
  • @cpk3535 let me know what you think of the Airflow once it arrives!  I put that one on my registry after reading up on it a bit.  
  • @blueskychicago12 Will do!  I might practice with DD’s dolls, haha 😃
  • ktmaesimktmaesim member
    edited July 2019
    Okay, update on all the 4moms products I received. 

mamaroo - I can see why a lot of babies love this, with multiple motion settings, sound settings and a very breathable fabric, bluetooth compatible, we also got the infant insert with it. It is also bluetooth compatible so you can be sitting on your couch and change all the settings from your phone - so smart! (Obviously we will see once baby comes.) 

breeze - This is the pack-n-play and its awesome. Super easy to fold up and store away, the bed pad actually wraps around the bed once its folded up and it comes in a nice travel bag with straps to put over your shoulder (this item is actually pretty heavy, could be around 30lbs). I love that its one button + motion and it's set up.

highchair - I probably would be a tiny bit upset if I actually spent money on this (it was a gift from my SIL). Its a beautiful high chair. I love: that the tray sets into place with a magnet, you can throw the top part of the tray into the dishwasher, that is lightweight, and that their bowls/plates magnet to the tray! However, the crotch strap is a bit short and not adjustable (I think one of you mentioned that) and the tray itself only has two sizes to slide out to, so if your baby is chubby, it could possibly not even fit it's belly comfortably while sitting on this highchair. Also a bummer that it doesn't fold, but other than that I can't complain!
  • good feedback @ktmaesim

i will plug the stokke tripp trapp high chair - it converts to an awesome chair for toddlers/young kids, and even adults. it can hold up to 300lbs. my parents have two from my younger sisters and they are 14+ years old and still in amazing shape. they're expensive but usable for years and amazing quality.
  • @anniemarie887  I legit thought you meant your 14 yr old sisters are in amazing shape. I was like "k, weird".  And I've seen those but soooo expensive.