July 2019 Moms

Strep B + Herpes + C Section

Has anyone elected for a C Section because they had Herpes and / or Step B? 

Re: Strep B + Herpes + C Section

• CbeanzCbeanz member
    Wow, bold first post.

And welcome!
  • I am not knowledgeable about the herpes aspect, but a c/s is not necessary for GBS+; antibiotics are  effective. This article gives good information. 
    https://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/
  • Loading the player...
  • Group B strep is not an indication for c section but an active genital herpes outbreak is. If it's otherwise well-controlled and no active outbreak, I believe vaginal delivery is preferred but I would talk with your OB about it at length.
  • Thank you all. My OB talked over me throughout the appointment. She did not give me information on both options, she just told me how harmful a c-section is. She said my concerns were neither valid or correct. I'm not sure you can tell someone their feelings are not valid but I wasn't given the opportunity to speak let alone challenge her use of language. 
  • knormand418knormand418 member
    edited June 2019
    I just found out I am GBS positive too... and allergic to the top antibiotics AND am immunocompromised because I have multiple sclerosis. I cried at my appointment and asked for a c-section but they still really want me to go for the vaginal birth.

I'm shocked they said your feelings weren't valid - I would have stormed out. My Dr went through all of my concerns (valid or not) and came up with an action plan. They are doing some special testing on my blood to see what antibiotics I can take. If there aren't any... they we will regroup and come up with a new plan. 

I am so sorry they aren't treating you better. I'd say switch doctors but its also hard at this point I'm sure. Serious medical concerns (which I'd say GBS and herpes while pregnant fall into that category) require serious consideration and thoughtful discussion so that the best outcome is achieved for everyone involved. Hugs to you mama! ♡♡
  • @knormand418 There are different approaches that you can take as an alternative, like vaginal probiotics up until labor or chlorhexadine wash during labor. This resource might be helpful for you in continuing the conversation with your OB: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/

Either way, I would definitely go through with checking to see what you are actually allergic to, since there is a growing population of people who have been told they have allergies to medications when they may have only had a side effect. This was the case for me for penicillin.
  • @mamanbebe... what a great link! Thanks so much for sharing. Lots of alternatives... and some as easy as taking probiotics to rid yourself of the GBS!!! Needless to say I'm running to rite aid to start asap. With a 43% chance of turning negative... it's worth trying!
  • @knormand418 I'm sorry to hear about your allergy. I really hope they can help you have the birth you would like in the safest of ways. Do keep us updated. 
    @knormand418 and @mamanbebe - do you know what probiotics are recommended for GBS? 
    Love to you both x
  • Thanks @rosiealice! They did a sensitivity test and found an antibiotic for me! In the mean time I have started a probiotic called Fem-Dophilus which contains the 2 strands cited in all of the research to help combat GBS (Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14).  Looking back on all the research I dont know why doctors aren't testing for this earlier or at least advising that this medicine be taken throughout pregnancy to reduce the chances of having it during labor.
  • That's great @knormand418 - Are you based in the UK? If so, was it the NHS that subscribed Fem-Dophilus? It seems quite expensive so would be good to get at the doctors if this in an option...