November 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• I'm stuck in a quote box here.. but @kopp5988 I agree with @rogro118 to see who is teaching it - since it sounds like you found out it is an LC, I would also just research that person to make sure her views align with yours. The hospital LC I had with my son was awful and continuously commented on my CS and epidural and also told me not to use a nipple shield but to EP instead if my child wouldn't latch properly. Since her views do not align with mine, I will have no issue not seeing her this time regardless of whatever issues I'm experiencing. Also, I'm not sure there is much value in a class prior to the baby being born because its just so hard to know how your baby/experience will be at that time. 

I took a child birth class before birth, not sure it was much I didn't already know. I took a brief child care class at the hospital after my son arrived and I thought that was more helpful for me (covered diapering, what to look for with newborn diapers, how to care for DS's circumcision, etc).
  • I highly recommend that book. I was determined to successfully BF my second baby since I failed miserably with my first. It was very informative and had everything I needed in it. My husband even started reading it and got lot out of it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kopp5988 - I actually found the child care class helpful because I was not around babies at all prior to my firstborn.  It was comforting to go and while some of the information was hit or miss I got to practice buckling a car seat (which was hugely helpful), some newborn diapering tips (like folding over the top before the umbilical cord falls off) and just an overall comfort level. 

I also did my breastfeeding class and that was good for a comfort level, I only nursed in like 2 positions not the 5 or 6 they teach.  I found that more helpful then the breastfeeding class was speaking with a lactation person at my pediatrician because they were physically able to help me improve the latch.  I would still do it because knowledge helps, me at least, cope with the stress afterwards.  

I don't know if they offer but I also recommend a infant/child CPR class.  I did one with my first and I am going to take a refresher this year because while you hope it is never a problem it is good to know the things NOT to do. 
  • @Dancer688 Yes, infant CPR! thank you for reminding me of this. I need to do this as well. 
  • kj17-2kj17-2 member
    edited June 2019
    @Kurtni Sorry if I'm late to the conversation, but I had a swing/bouncer like this for my first. My cousin never used it and gave it to us in brand-new condition. It is a little bulky, although not as heavy as it looks. I was able to move it around. I definitely didn't rely on it, but the times I did need it, I was happy to have it. I mostly held or carried DD, or put her on the activity mat for play time. But if I was cooking, or if i had to pump a bit or pack the diaper bag, the swing was good because she could still see me and be secure. She loved the mobile, the swing played lullabies and vibrated, and it had different speed settings. But I would say the best part was the detachable bouncer. It was light and we took it to grandma's, outside on the patio, everywhere. DD seemed to always be awake and cranky right when MH and I were sitting down for dinner, so I would put her next to me and bounce her with my foot. However, when she fell asleep in it, I ALWAYS moved her to a flat surface. My sister let her son sleep in his rock 'n play all the time, and it terrified me.
  • My midwife recommended compression tanks or a belt (but said the tanks are more comfortable) to help with SPD pain.  Does anyone have any recommendations before I go scouting amazon reviews?  Thanks!
  • Maybe TMI, but has anyone dealt with BO during pregnancy? I shower regularly, put on deodorant, etc, but still feel like I smell in a few hours. I am in a hotel for a week, so it might be the soap or something, but I just can't get that to make logical sense. Any tips on how to combat it? Do I really have to spend the summer smelling? 
  • @dani_0921 I haven't ever dealt with BO while pregnant but I'm also the type of person that doesn't stink if I don't wear deodorant. I don't even stink after working out. Maybe you could try some gentle, unscented soap like Dove. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 that's what I use at home and haven't had an issue, so I'm wondering if it's just from being at the hotel with different products.
  • @dani_0921 our bodies react differently to things like that when pregnant. I can't use some lotions because I get an itchy rash from them when I'm pregnant. If it is something that just started happening, I would assume it was related. 
  • @dani_0921 - I definitely feel like I smell with hotel soaps, even when not pregnant.  They are usually not as good as anything you would purchase for yourself.  I definitely sweat a lot more when pregnant so I usually carry around deodorant in my purse and if I am going to a meeting with people I spritz some body spray right before so at least I dont feel like anyone else can tell
  • @steph22785 - I just moved you over here because I do have a response to your masters/phd question.  I think I got pregnant right at the end of my masters degree but I was taking my 4 part exams over the course of my entire first pregnancy in fact I think I got my license the same week I went out on leave (2 weeks before my due date since my hour long each way commute was too much on my HUGE belly).  It is definitely not easy but it is easier getting it done pre-baby and then you don't feel the waiting game as much because you are focused on achieving something else.
  • @steph22785 I have not been in that situation (school while pregnant) but I know it must be hard. I did get 2 masters degrees while I worked full time and now I work 3 jobs while pregnant. I would say from your post that it sounds like you feel like you have to be 100% all the time to keep your boss from thinking the pregnancy is negatively impacting your work, and I totally get that. I know a few other ladies IRL who have gotten advanced degrees while pregnant - are there any others at your school/program that you can connect with? Also, I say if you need to work from home, you should do that without a second thought. 
  • @steph22785 when I was pregnant with my second I graduated with my master's a few weeks before she was born. I never ended up using my masters degree though. I have just kept having babies and while my husband was in residency, it was better financially for me to just stay at home with the kids. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 - That has been my experience too.  I finished my masters, got my license and worked up through maternity leave in my career.  I was in accounting so they were being pretty inflexible with tax hours and since my husbands income was sufficient I became the SAHM.  Once I had my second, I would have been paying over $80k in childcare to keep working (yay Washington DC prices) so it was a no brainer to stay home. 

I do hope that once my new arrival comes and gets to kindergarten that I can pick up some part time work.  I miss the validation of a boss saying good job.  My 3 year old usually just complains that I am not being nice :P
  • Has anyone successfully declined the glucose test?  They've told me that they want me to do it at the end of August.  The only risk factor I have is age.  Just thinking about it is making me feel nauseous.  And if it's impossible to say no, can I ask whether they put flavorings or colorings in the syrup?
  • @mimigarden I've never denied it so I cant help there. I've never had one with coloring, they've all been clear. They do flavors though, I've had lime, fruit punch and orange. They dont taste awful to me, just way too sugary. Its the amount of sugar that gets my stomach feeling nauseated, not the flavor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @mimigarden I've heard of some doctors allowing alternatives like jelly beans or similar to complete the test. I don't know too much about GD but I think that people who are healthy with no history or risk factors can still have GD so I don't know if you should really count on that. I've never had a probably with the drinks either which have also always been clear for me. I am a little worried because I never knew it could make you feel sick and now that I know that I think I'm going to feel sick because now it's in my head. Lol Definitely ask if they will allow an alternative to the drink though if you're sick just thinking about it
  • I'll add that I'm one of those people who never thought GD was something I would get. I ate relatively healthy, was a normal BMI and a marathon runner when I got pregnant with my first. I was shocked when I got diagnosed with GD. It's not like regular diabetes where lifestyle choices can affect it if you get it. It has to do with your hormones and how it affects your body during pregnancy, so I would strongly recommend not denying taking it altogether.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lark2013Lark2013 member
    edited July 2019
    @mimigarden As far as I know, you can't really decline the test.  I mean, you can, you can simply refuse to take it, but if I understand correctly, being diagnosed with gestational diabetes (or not knowing and not doing anything about it) can really affect the rest of your pregnancy, your birthing experience, and your baby post-birth.  Is it the dyes and flavorings that turn you off of it?  You can always just ask your doctor before hand, but I can almost guarantee they won't put anything in there that would harm you or your baby.  
  • @mimigarden The drink never tastes bad to me. It literally taste like orange or lime soda. It has never made me nauseous either. Just some perspective since a lot of people complain about the taste and how it makes them feel. It isn’t a guarantee that it will affect you that way. 
  • I personally like the drink and want to sneak more out of there. Chug it like a shot and then go sit in the waiting room and relax. You can also drink water which helps get any after taste out. I had to do it once this pregnancy already and will have to do it again in a few weeks. I honestly think a lot of the nausea comes from having to fast for it and then the first thing being sugar in the morning
     If you have any food allergies like fructose or gluten ask them if that is in the drink. 
  • Thank you everyone for talking some sense into me.  I know that GD is important to catch and treat and you are opening my eyes to the extent it is hormonal.  Will get through the test ...
  • You got this @mimigarden!! Let us know when your GD test is and we will be on to cheer you on the whole time! Do you know if you are doing the 1 hour, 2 hour, or 3 hour test in August?
  • @mimigarden I did the test with jelly beans my last pregnancy.  I’m going to ask if they offer a color free drink this time, but if they don’t offer it I’ll go the jelly been route again.  I was against it for all of the nasty ingredients in the drink as it’s stuff I would never consume even not pregnant (artificial colors and nasty oils) and I know it would make me sick with all the sugar, but that’s less of an issue than the ingredients for me.  My midwife and doctor had no issue with it.  They said they’d do the finger prick monitoring if anything was off with the first test, but it was within the normal range so I never got to that point.  Educate yourself on it, make a decision, and talk to your provider about what they can do to work with your concerns.  I would never skip the test altogether since, as others have said there are not always symptoms/traditional risk factors, but there are alternatives out there to the drink.  Good luck!

Side note: this is obviously an UO, so no need to bash it because it’s not your viewpoint.  Your body, your choice, and I believe all choices should be made based on research and talking through it with your provider.  This is just my experience and that of my doctor and midwife.
  • @rogro118 Honestly, I haven’t seen anyone on our board get bashed for anything. You didn’t discourage the actual test you gave your experience with an alternative. I don’t think anyone if going to bash you for it. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 I agree, I haven’t seen that happen here but I think we can both agree that people in general (especially online 😅) get up in arms quick about things like this or anything against the norm, so I just wanted to throw that out there as a reminder that I’d rather not have those replies since it’s not necessarily helpful.  The comment certainly  is not meant to offend anyone!
  • BNBTBNBT member
    Sorry if this has already been asked - I tried to do a search and nothing came up on the topic. If you are a TTM+, do you have any good books you would recommend for reading to your child to prepare them for their siblings arrival? I have a few saved on Amazon, but would love to know if anyone had any that were particularly great or really helped their child.
  • @BNBT - What age are you looking for because I would say it depends.  I have a few for the 2 years old age.  With my almost 4 year old I actually have been talking a lot more about the pregnancy side of things so she is very into the fruit that the baby currently is.  
  • BNBTBNBT member
    @Dancer688 My daughter is 2. We've been talking to her about her baby brother coming but I know there are probably books that will cover more bases than I can think of!
  • @BNBT - I had these 3:
    Big Sisters are the Best (Fran Manushkin)
    I'm a Big Sister (JoAnna Cole)
    I am a Big Sister (Caroline Jayne Church) 

I think we may have had a few others but those were the ones she liked.  They all had similarities but different messages about coping with being an older sibling and my daughter enjoyed talking through it especially once baby was here and she could see the differences.

I think one talks through how baby and her were different.  One in a crib and one in a bed, one with food and the other with bottles, etc.

Another one talks about how we love baby but it doesn't mean we didn't have time for her as a big sister.

If you find any ones that you like I always like expanding my book collection :)  
  • @BNBT my son is also 2. We have:
    I'm a Big Brother  (same as the JoAnna Cole one above, but with a big brother rather than sister) - this is the one my son likes the best. 
    Babies Don't Eat Pizza - Debbie Tilley (this one is kind of long and a bit detailed for my son's age personally)
    a Mercer Mayer New Baby book, can't remember exact title but it may just be New Baby

My son turned two in March. He enjoys reading the first and last ones on my list and will often ask to read books about new baby. I am not honestly too sure how much he has connected these books/the babies in these books with "baby sister" in mommy's tummy, though. I tried to get him interested in my cousins new baby when we met her and he really could not have cared less. 

• BNBTBNBT member
    @Dancer688 @creamcheeseplease thank you both for the suggestions! I'm not sure how much she will connect the dots either, but I figure it's worth a try!
  • @BNBT we have the Daniel Tiger baby Margaret book and it has really helped my 2, almost 3 year old. 
  • I'm ready to delve into the world of baby registries and I think I have it narrowed down to babylist.com and Amazon. 1) Which do you prefer? 2) Does it make sense to have both or should I just stick with one of them?
    I'm doing BabyList (used Zola for our wedding and loved it! Like that this is similar). Also doing BuyBuyBaby for friends and family who prefer to go into a storw. Plus with BBB we took advantage of the registry consultation where we could ask questions and demo products. Both have a completion discount. 
  • Has anyone done anything with cord blood banking?  
  • @Dancer688 haven’t decided yet. But am considering it.