February 2020 Moms
Options

Two uteruses?!

Hi, hello! 
I don’t really know how to work this site yet 🙈 but I have to know if this a problem for anyone else.

Little back story: I’m a STM, but had a miscarriage when I was younger but never knew it happened until my first ultrasound with my DD.

I got an Ultrasound at 7w5d yesterday when I went in to discuss my current medication. The OB doc did the transvaginal one and had a hard time finding the baby. Once she did she kinda freaked out and told me it might be an ectopic pregnancy because the baby is so far over to the left. She called in an US tech who said “It’s a beautiful pregnancy but I’m seeing TWO UTERUSES here...”.

I've had 2 transvaginal US before (to see if I had PCOS) and they only found “good cysts and tons of fibroids”. The other one was to check on my bladder due to frequent UTIs. So I’m REALLY confused as to what’s going on. 😅

Am I the only one out there experiencing this?!

Re: Two uteruses?!

• Options
    Whoa! I don’t know the answer, I haven’t heard of 2 uteruses in humans. That said, I’m glad that the pregnancy is going well!  I’m sorry about the fibroids. I know those can be painful.
  • Options
    I was so shocked!! I’m trying to stay off google but my curiosity is killing me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn’t get a super clear look at the screen but you could see the dividing line! 

Thats interesting though. My OB didn’t say anything about after the US so it kinda worried me 🙈

Id love to see it as well 😂
  • Options
    craftywitchcraftywitch member
    edited June 2019
    I’ve heard of this! Basically only in one case of a woman becoming pregnant with an IUD because the IUD and baby were in different uteruses. It’s rare but not unheard of- keep us updated if you learn anything. And please intro and join in around here for support! Welcome!
  • Options
    Someone on my June 2017 BMB had a bicornuate uterus. It’s not really 2 different uteruses but it kind of is. It did require extra monitoring because there is a possibility baby runs out of room towards the end. I would definitely get more answers from your OB. 
  • Options
    My mom and a close friend both have bicornate uteruses. My mom had 2 c-sections and didn't find out until she had some complications during menopause and her Dr figured it out! You might need extra monitoring bc it gets tighter for baby sooner than a typical uterus. My friend's baby was breech at 20 weeks and her Dr told her there was little chance she would flip bc there was no room, and she didn't. 
  • Options
    I was told during my csection with my daughter (second pregnancy, first child and also breech) that I have a septum. She didnt really say much about it. I asked if that was cause any problems when I was pregnant with my son and she said no. So i did a VBAC. Now I'm pregnant again and decided just to look it up. Wish I hadn't because it causes me to worry the placenta might attach to a spot that wont support it and cause another miscarriage. But 9 weeks so far and still feeling nauseous, so must be fine. Good luck
  • Options
    A bicornate uterus means your uterus is heart-shaped, rather than pear-shaped. It’s nothing like having two uteruses.
  • Options
    @daffodil_shoe, technically yes there is absolutely a difference. My advice of having the OP get clarification from her OB still stands though since there can still be risks associated with 2 uteruses. 
  • Options
    My OB thought I might have 2 uteruses this year, so she sent me in for an MRI, that ruled it out. I do have a heart-shaped uterus, but only 1. There was some scar tissue around it from kidney surgery that I had, that's what my dr felt during the exam.
  • Options
    @amandacurry15 I have heard of and seen this! I dated a woman in university for a couple years and that was a fun discovery we made! TMI but: I'd noticed a septum within her vagina and she'd never known! We'd gone to clinic for a check up later on  for something unrelated but gynocological and the doctor there hadn't seen it before. They brought in students and everything, ultra sound, the whole shebang. Literally two uteruses and two canals? Unsure how to describe. Anyway, it was funny because she'd always been like "oh tampons don't work for me," and it was because she'd insert one but the other side would still menstruate. After the ultrasound for her next cycle she tried using two on each side and it worked perfectly.