September 2019 Moms

The Big Nursery Thread!

Re: The Big Nursery Thread!

• @cmdesigner @duewithpu2 we haven't even painted the blue yet. So right now it's just gray and the old white..
  • @nightdreamr13 When we put down our first gray (the lightest) it looked very blue. As soon as we got the darker shades of gray on the wall it stopped looking blue. Try painting your accent wall first before changing grays. It might balance out.
    *TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Loading the player...
  • @LJMoon6 I currently have the accent wall taped off to roll the gray walls first. I hate to retape everything but maybe it'll be worth just rolling one wall gray then doing the accent before finishing off the other 2 gray walls. I really wanted to love this room but its not looking good...
  • @nightdreamr13 It could be that the gray is playing off of the tape you have too. I would paint the accent wall and then take down the tape and see how it looks. You could even try putting up some decoration (wall art, rug, pillow... etc) to see how that changes the grey. I think you could still make it work. Unless its like REALLY purple. Post a picture!
    *TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Right there with you ladies! It’s like pulling teeth to get DH to finish the paint job
  • Mine looks like @nomango's right now. But for real, why is it so hard to get it painted @duewithpu2?! I've ordered all the stuff and DH just can't get the motivation to do it. I'll obviously help, but I can't do it alone.
  • It’s like I can kinda see the final look in my brain, but I just can’t make it happen! @duewithpu2 @kgg2241 I’ve given up on asking DH to help with the room. Plus he’s still salty that he lost his home office 😂. 
  • Yeah, the cribs are still in boxes and stuff is kinda piled everywhere. I’ll snag a picture of solidarity shortly. 

#TeamUnfinishedNursery 😆 #TeamHotMess 
  • @nightdreamr13 love the paint scheme you chose! Bummer about the gray :( is it a Benjamin Moore gray, if so which one? We tried so many when we did my first child’s room. Benjamin Moore gray owl and stonington gray were the truest grays we could find. Several others picked up purple and blue tones. We went with gray owl for his room. We did the gray on 3 walls and 1 wall striped mint and gray. 
  • Thanks for the encouragement ladies. Dh is painting a bit today so we will take your advice and keep moving forward, hoping for the best. I don't have a photo of the paint on the wall but heres a link to it...
    https://www.glidden.com/colors/grey-charcoal/cloud-motif-grey
    That's pure gray, right??? Am I crazy?

It's strange though bc you can hold the lid of the paint jar up against the painted wall and it legit looks like 2 different colors. 

@septoctkids I wanted an aqua/mint color soooo badly!!!!! Unfortunately all the decor we picked out went better with the blue and white/gray scheme. So, if we have another baby and it's a girl I'm determined to repaint only the accent wall and make it aqua.

@themadcamel our nursery used to be the office. This is what it looked like last wk.

And this wk it still has a futon mattress and 2 filing cabinets covered in plastic bc I can't help move them. The ceiling needs touched up. One gray wall is cut in and that's about it. 
    Oh and the room that is becoming the new office....hahahah it would give you nightmares if I posted a pic.
  • @nightdreamr13 I don’t know if I would have noticed it if you didn’t point it out, but I can see how it would look lavender 😭
  • @nightdreamr13 I see the lavender too. I do think that your accessories and accent colors can help it pull more grey though. Good luck!
  • Y'all are making me feel color blind...
  • @nightdreamr13 I found this description of it... 

Sounds like maybe the navy will pull out the blue and hopefully lessen the periwinkle 
  • These pics are making me feel better. Here’s the current state of our nursery.  

*TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• edited June 2019
    SOLIDARITY!!! I took this pic last night of our nursery.  

@cmdesigner You can’t join our procrastination group! 😜😘 

eta - @nomangos23 Is that a hot wheels track I spy?!?
  • @cmdesigner I love your cat! My cats were the same way, but once the baby came they wanted nothing to do with it. I’ve heard that it’s like that for a bunch of people so maybe you won’t have to break it after all!
  • @lillywonderland Yes, that was DH's Xmas gift from my dad as a silly little joke. Wouldn't you believe all of the guys gathered around it and played with it for THREE HOURS that night. I normally would have donated it but since we're having a son I figured I'd hang on to it :) Like father like son, I'm sure
  • @cmdesigner um your cat is killing me. So cute. I think the kitty and baby girl have lots of cuddles in the future! 
  • @nomangos23 Bahahahahaha. If I was there I would’ve totally played with it also. I have to admit, I’ve made some sick wooden train tracks with DS’s set...and then he ruins it by smashing his tiny body into the bridge. He’s not so great on spacial reasoning yet! 

@cmdesigner You know I ❤️ you! Your kitty is so cute!
  • @nightdreamr13 we literally couldn’t find any bedding and curtains decor in mint and gray for our son. I ended up having my aunt make me curtains and a quilt. I ordered sheets from carousel designs with mint. That website is amazing! We found a lot of mint wall decor for the nursery at hobby lobby.. Love that place! I’m sure yours will come out awesome in navy and gray. Post a pic after :) Once it’s all tied together you probably won’t even see the purple tone anymore
  • ternsetcternsetc member
    edited June 2019
    Her nursery still looks exactly like it always has (our guest room) - except I was using it for some extra storage and I dealt with most of that last week; now there's some stuff I have to go through in the closet, but at least not random stuff shoved in the middle of the room. We haven't bought her crib yet, but will soon. The crib will be in our room for the first couple months, and the guest room will be in use between now and when she'll move into it, and we have some bigger things we're working on with the house that take priority, so tbh we probably won't really get that room ready for her until she's here. ETA: it was the same with DS when we were first time parents, we didn't have his room done until he was ready to move into it.
  • @cmdesigner aw, I love your kitty!

I finally got the desire to fix some of the art in DS’s room so I could take a pic of the art. We made it with my mom’s cricut and she made the “moon and back” canvas with it too. Will have to move the stars since Jackson is longer than James. The rest of the room is a full bed and regular dresser. DS started outgrowing the dresser that matches the crib shortly before 4. 
    I want to work on his new room but it’s going to take a lot of work. 

• I came here to post a picture of my son's current purple walls but the picture just doesn't fairly represent the color. DH painted 2 gray walls and painted some of the Navy next to it. It actually looks gray until you put white up against it. Since a lot of our Decor, our crib, and the trim in the room is going to be white, I think it's probably best that we cut our losses and switch colors now. Who knew picking out gray of all colors would be so difficult. I'm considering just doing the Navy and white striped walls with three White Walls instead of three gray walls. I'm just wondering if it will be too much white along with the white trim and white crib. Decisions......
  • @nightdreamr13 oh no I’m sorry your gray is giving you more trouble. I suggest searching “true gray” on Pinterest. There’s a ton of good pins that go in depth about undertones and then get a sample of a few colors you like for swatching on your walls. There is a gray out there for you!
  • @nightdreamr13 ugh sorry that happened. Such a bummer painting is an exhausting project for me (DH is a chill person but a paint perfectionist). We have had Sherwin Williams light french gray in 2 different houses and it comes across "true gray" to me *maybe with a beige undertone? Both living rooms face N/NW:

Phone photo alongside prof camera photo from when we sold in March. God I miss that living room 💔

Current living room @ the new house is a work in progress, please excuse the mess, but light french gray on the walls now (no outlet covers yet!): 

• @nightdreamr13 Gray is the hardest color to find the "just right" one.  Since some can go blue, some can go green, etc and it all depends on lighting and other colors surrounding them.  Definitely get some samples and paint swatches next to the other colors that you plan on using. 
  • @nightdreamr13 Gray is so hard because it is usually made with a base tint and that tint can come out so strong in certain lighting. We have gray in our entire house and finding a color that worked in different lighting was painfully hard. I ended up going with a griege which pairs really well with the brighter tones in our nursery and the cooler charcoal couch in my living room. It also lends itself really well to modern brass fixtures and brushed nickel, too. Honestly, it's kind of the perfect gray tone. 

https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/HDC-NT-20

Some random photos in the spoiler of how different the color looks in different lightings.

Also, for anyone looking to find a paint that covers in one coat...look no further. This Behr Marquee gray covered the following insane colors in my house in one coat: port wine red, fire engine red, violent turquoise, violent sunshine yellow, burnt orange, and pumpkin orange. The dude at Home Depot saved me so much time, money, and tears when I bought my house after he recommended this paint.

• @cmdesigner Lol'ing at your descriptions of the old paint colors in your house ("violent sunshine yellow")! We painted over what I was calling banana apricot it was horrible.
  • @cmdesigner oooooo I wanna see before pics if you have them... My entire house was (not joking) "swampwater green" when we bought it. Pic in spoiler

• @nomangos23 our living room was very similar green with a salmon pink accent wall when we moved in 🤢. Yuck.
  • cmdesignercmdesigner member
    edited June 2019
    @nomangos23 oh, I have them. Although I will say pictures do not do the turquoise and yellow justice. You'd walk by the room at night and it was so bright that even in the dark you could see the colors.

ETA: they also chose the most impossibly large furniture for their spaces. It was absolutely fascinating. Our house is on the smaller side but man they really did their best to fill it up with big ass furniture and bright colors that made the space look really small. Honestly, I am 100% sure this is why we were able to get the house. It's really nice but it sat on the market for months!

• I agree with @cmdesigner BEHR paint is really good for one coat. We got a greige color “Wheat Bread” for the nursery and it covered our bright orange walls with one coat. I’m still debating on adding a second because it could be richer I think.

In the spirit of ugly house colors, we bought a foreclosure that needed every wall and ceiling in the whole house painted. The worst was this safety green fireplace that we ended up shiplapping over lol

• @duewithpu2 giirrrrll. You win on most obnoxious and random color choice. What were they THINKING?

Re: second coat. I had to do some minor touch-ups where the red wasn't completely covered and tbh I can't tell the difference. I thought for sure I would see a difference from room to room where we covered up the turquoise and the dark, dark red (and I'm super picky...professional hazard, lol). 
  • @cmdesigner Our house was violent sunflower as soon as you walked upstairs. It was horrifying. The bathrooms were I ate too much spinach poop brown and then downstairs we just mowed the lawn green. Like what?!
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @cmdesigner omg your house was SO MANY COLORS! 

DH’s old office/man cave was in the basement. I let him pick the paint color and it was very similar to that bedroom color in your picture. It was called “ancho chili” or something like that haha.