February 2020 Moms

Pregnancy Fitness!!!

Re: Pregnancy Fitness!!!

• @jessieR358 I’m glad you brought that up!!!

@um_thor Jessie Hilgenberg talked about this in length because her DR got so bad! 
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • Ugh this is the best I could find but she talked about workouts while pregnant somewhere!

https://www.facebook.com/jessiefitness/photos/a.184959798231221/1725715220822330?type=3&sfns=xmwa
    TW
  • Loading the player...
  • @um_thor I’m planning to modify around 12 weeks. I’ve read contradicting guidelines and plan to ask the midwife her thoughts.
  • Yes, so anything you do before is fine, but it helps to strengthen your transverse abs so you don’t get a DR. That’s my understanding anyways! Maybe it’s different if you don’t have a DR and this is your first? 
  • SwiftletSwiftlet member
    edited June 2019
    So my fitness activity of choice is hiking. I've already found that the hills that used to be just a little challenging are winding me, ugh! I make myself slow down but it's frustrating. I also have done some (light) lifting and yoga at home and I'm trying to find a way to get more of that in. Not planning to do the HIIT videos.
    Has anyone started their kegels? I'm trying to get in the habit early on...
  • Glad to have another fit momma here, @ktrabing! The fatigue and limitations you’re describing sound super familiar.

I haven’t been back in the gym since I had a spotting scare earlier this week. And I’m usually a 6 day a week for 1.5 hour on average type of person. I’m really hoping to find some peace and get back to it. I’ll probably feel better after I finally see the doc next Thursday. 
  • @um_thor I had one too this week, it was after a 3 mile run. I totally freaked and told myself that if I had anymore spotting I would slow way down or stop completely for a bit but I haven't had anything since!
  • @ktrabing I’m glad you haven’t had any more! I’m finally going back to Jiu-Jitsu tomorrow because there’s a seminar I’ve been looking forward to (and fingers crossed for a belt promotion). A few days without any spotting and I’m feeling willing to get active again. 
  • Hi ladies! It sounds like you all are way more intense with your workouts than me! I am a (slow, like very slow) runner and I like to bike. I have been doing beachbody workouts lately but I plan on not going past the 2 week free trial. I have been doing noom which I need to modify since it has me at 1200 calories a day. I did prenatal yoga most days through my last pregnancy but I gained about 50 pounds!! Oops! Not planning on doing that again... 

does anyone do YouTube videos? I have some channels that I like but am always looking for more.
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • @Amyface813 I used to do YouTube vids all the time when I travelled a lot for work. The ones I used most consistently were: 
    -search “body rock HIIT Lisa Marie” 
    -search “coffeecup yoga”

the first I loved because she is super motivating, and you can find different lengths of videos, all high intensity interval training (so great cardio/strength combo), targeting a variety of body parts, and you can modify everything to do in your home with or without weights (I often used a backpack filled with some stuff to serve as a “weight” when I traveled). 

The second is a chick (I think her name is Ali something) who does a bunch of yoga videos. I like that they’re different lengths, targeting different goals, and many get my heart pumping (not the yin yoga that’s good for relaxing).
  • @Amyface813 I like FitnessBlender and Yoga with Adriene a lot :) Would love more recs too!
  • @Amyface813 Second body rock! They even have some lightweight workout pieces too! 
    TW
  • I’m doing Burn as well! Been coming for about a year and I plan on continuing as long as I can. There’s a few pregnant ladies who are 4,5,6 months who are still coming every day!!
  • My favorite YouTube workout channel is sugarpopfitness. They have pretty much everything. I was trying to remember the prenatal yoga I did all the time with DD but that was spinning babies. We probably don’t need that just yet! 😬 I will have to check when I get home for some others and try your suggestions too!
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • Fortunately, my favorite pre-pregnancy ways to exercise were walking 5-10 miles a day, stretching all the time, and doing yoga occasionally. I plan to keep my walking up until I can't see my feet anymore! But I've had to be really careful about stretching now, because it physically hurts, especially in my abdomen which feels super stretched just talking a deep breath. So now I mostly just stretch my arms and legs. I'm thinking of doing some prenatal yoga, if for no other reason then to learn how to stretch without hurting myself. 
  • Follow-up hurt lower back: showed up today even though it was still mildly hurting and the coach gave me PT exercises and stretches to run through and then a circuit to sub for the work out. I feel SO much better! Next time I'll just show up if I'm hurt because the coach clearly knows some things about physiology and was able to help.
  • I work out 4-5 days a week. I have to figure out a new schedule now that my boys are out of school. I lift at the gym, peloton, lekfit, walk the track....really whatever I can. I plan to keep it up but possibly scale back on the cardio if I find myself getting out of breath quickly. 
  • Hey ladies! Wanted to jump in on this thread! I’ve take Stroller Strides classes since my three year old was born and have been a Fit4Mom instructor for the last two years. I recently tried burn boot camp with my sister in NC and loved it! I found out they have one near me so I might do that in the future. I also love yoga and used to do jiu jitsu (although I wasn’t very good haha). The gym where I went was mostly guys so it was hard to train with them ( they either went way too easy on me or it was just too difficult). Luckily there is now a women’s gym near me so after this baby I’ve been thinking about getting back into it! 
  • Yay!  I finally get to join this thread. my first baby 3 yrs ago I went from 125 to 180 and it felt awful and totally changed my body. I didn't have fitness as an option but this time I am starting at 132 lbs and maintaining fitness levels. So far I run 5 miles a week, do pushups, and lunges. I have been wanting to learn about other great strength building excercises for home. Hopefully only gaining 20lbs this time. I could barely walk last time and had such bad back pain. Really want to do things different this time. So far things are good and I do about 1.5 miles every other day.
  • Anyone else struggling to get their workouts done? I'm still forcing myself to do them because they ALWAYS make me feel better once I do it but man.....I did a 4 mile run today and it's seriously a struggle. Seems to be getting a little better but still....am I alone in this?
  • @ktrabing You're not alone! 
    TW
  • @ktrabing Yeah the 1st tri is an energy zapper. 
  • @ktrabing Definitely not alone. I’m struggling. I’m frustrated that I can’t do my norm (BJJ and high intensity workouts and heavy lifting). I’m worried that I’ll become unhealthy and depressed, since the gym is my greatest mental health tool. I’m bummed that I don’t feel like myself with the scaled back workouts I’m doing, or the lower frequency. I’m frustrated that I feel out of my routine and I don’t know how to adjust yet. I’m pretty frustrated about it all today. 
  • Before we got pregnant with our number 2 I was doing a lifting program at home called liift4. With our last pregnancy I did not workout but after having our son I have been doing various at home programs. I’m down 45 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight with our son. 

Im trying to still do my lifting program without pushing myself too hard but the fatigue is so real this time and I’m nauseous all day. So I’m trying to do one cardio day, one yoga day, a leg day and an arms/shoulders day. But I’m not having much luck right now. 

What ab exercises do you all love to do?!? And how are you pushing yourself to workout in the first trimester? 
  • ktrabing said:
    Anyone else struggling to get their workouts done? I'm still forcing myself to do them because they ALWAYS make me feel better once I do it but man.....I did a 4 mile run today and it's seriously a struggle. Seems to be getting a little better but still....am I alone in this?
    Yes!! I feel so weak compared to where I was. I also had to keep modifying yesterday because all the jumping up and down was making me super nauseated 
  • I started a "FITNESS Mamas" private group. I really want to keep my workouts and nutrition on lock-down and have some serious accountability this pregnancy. Anyone want in??

https://forums.thebump.com/group/1372-fitness-mamas

• Love it! Just requested to join 💪
  • Hello everyone! Just joining this thread. I gained 60+lbs with my first and was very uncomfortable at the end of my last pregnancy. I was really hoping to keep up with my workouts this time around, but I have already been told to not workout at all as to not aggravate my chorionic hematoma. Which is exactly how my last pregnancy’s first trimester went. So I’m pretty bummed, but hoping that when I go in for my ultrasound later this week the issue will have passed and I can start exercising again. I typically see a personal trainer once a week, lift weights, and hike as much as possible. I prefer to hike whenever the weather permits. It is how I lost the baby weight the first time. I don’t have much to contribute right now, but as I start picking up my workouts again, hopefully I will have something to share :) 
  • Swiftlet said:
    So my fitness activity of choice is hiking. I've already found that the hills that used to be just a little challenging are winding me, ugh! I make myself slow down but it's frustrating. I also have done some (light) lifting and yoga at home and I'm trying to find a way to get more of that in. Not planning to do the HIIT videos.
    Has anyone started their kegels? I'm trying to get in the habit early on...
    Good to see another hiker here! Tried to tag in my post (above) but evidently I need some training with this app! 
  • @craftywitch I just requested to join too!
    #1 DS 12/13/14
    #2 DD 7/1/17
    EDD 2/29/20 MC 7/19/19
    #3 EDD 5/29/19
  • @craftywitch I requested to join as well! I joined a FighterDiet challenge before I knew I was KU that just started yesterday! 
    TW
  • Sweet! I'm having trouble navigating to private groups so gonna have to bookmark to make sure checking in is happening!
  • @craftywitch I requested to join too. How do I find private groups? 
  • @jessieR358 I’ve had trouble getting to them from mobile. I have been hitting the link I posted here and bookmarked it on my desktop. Makes me wonder if it’s a bad interface or we should be suspicious that groups are being phased out...
  • I think it’s a glitch that they’re trying to work out. Mobile you go to community and scroll all the way to the bottom to groups. The desktop version has been randomly missing chunks when going to find the groups 😒. I’m in another group and it never was like this until recently!

TW
  • Has anyone done a lot of swimming while pregnant? I swim every once in a while for fun, but never for exercise. My doctor recommended I switch from lifting weights to swimming. She isn’t opposed to weight lifting, but thinks this will be easier on my body and my pregnancy anxiety. Anyway, the rec center in my town has a great lap pool but it is heavily chlorinated. Does anyone know of that being an issue during pregnancy? The thought of spending a long time in all those chemicals just doesn’t feel right and I forgot to ask my doctor at our last appointment.
  • I swim often while pregnant. Calms my anxiety, and feels great being weightless when you're huge. 
  • @jennv0701 did my first pool workout today and it was awesome!
  • @jennv0701 did my first pool workout today and it was awesome!