Baby Names

Add to my list?

Names we both like are very hard to find, and neither of us really LOVE our choices. Siblings, Myles and Amelia. 

Girls: middle name Elizabeth
Cora
Meredith

Boys: Middle name Robert
Cohen
Cole

Re: Add to my list?

• coastalmomma2coastalmomma2 member
    edited June 2019
    I love the name Meredith as a first name, but Cora sounds better with Elizabeth. Perhaps Meredith with a one or two syllable middle name?

Out of those options, Cole. I prefer Robert Cole, actually, but I don't know if that would be an option for you. 
  • Love Meredith and Cora but like pp said, Cora sounds better with Elizabeth. Suggesting:
    Miriam
    Grace
    Claire
    Laurel
    Natalie
    Tess
    Pearl

Cohen and Cole are both fine and I think both pair well with Robert. Suggesting:
    Benjamin
    David
    Eli
    James
    Liam
    Micah
    Nicholas
    Tyler
    Travis
    William
    Jack
  • Loading the player...
  • Love Meredith and Elizabeth

Cole is ok
    Cohen is awful
  • mercury94mercury94 member
    edited June 2019
    I definitely prefer Cora with Elizabeth, but otherwise like Meredith. 

Adding:
    Felicity
    Blythe
    Phoebe

I don’t like Cohen personally. It’s a surname exclusively as far as I’m concern. I do like Cole Robert or Robert Cole. 

Adding:
    Chase
    Finn
    Clay (or Clayton)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Cohen is not good as a first name and can be considered controversial so I would research that not to mention in today’s climate being associated with Michael Cohen is less than desirable

Cole is great as are Cora and Meredith 

add:

Felicity
    Mallory
    Miranda
    Corrine
    Celeste
    Camille
    Rosalie
    Theresa

Conrad
    Silas
    Bryce
    Micah
    Garrett
    Reid

• mb0112mb0112 member
    Love Cora and Meredith but agree Cora goes much better with Elizabeth.  Come Robert is good but I don’t like Cohen.

Amelia, Myles, and 

Lydia
    June
    Ruby
    Fiona
    Elise
    Claudia
    Phoebe
    Violet
    Rosalie
    Sarah 

Oliver
    Frederick
    Paul
    Henry
    Samuel

• Cora Elizabeth or Cole Robert
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • @bbiutmcph I love Silas and Corrine. Do you think Cohen is controversial because of the Michael Cohen situation, or because Surname as a FN, or something else I'm not thinking of? I don't mind Surnames as FN but I hadn't thought of Michael Cohen 

@mb0112 June, Ruby, Violet (a family name I absolutely LOVE) and Sarah are all high up there on MY list. DH thinks they all sound 'old' :(
  • I’m not religious nor Jewish but if you research online you will find it’s considered incredibly offensive. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/namenerds/comments/4l13au/is_the_name_cohen_offensive_for_nonjews_to_use/

There is just one one which explains and personally I wouldn’t want to saddle
    my kid with a name that others could find incredibly offensive 

• bbiutmcph said:
    I’m not religious nor Jewish but if you research online you will find it’s considered incredibly offensive. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/namenerds/comments/4l13au/is_the_name_cohen_offensive_for_nonjews_to_use/

There is just one one which explains and personally I wouldn’t want to saddle
    my kid with a name that others could find incredibly offensive 
    Thank you. I hadn't the slightest idea
  • I'm glad someone gave you the "heads up" on Cohen I would advise against using this common Jewish last name as a first name because of its particular significance within Judaism.  The person on the reddit thread had a hard time coming up with an example of a similarly misleading/possibly offensive name.  I'm not Jewish, but I've taught in a Jewish day school for many years.  A reverse example might be if a Jewish parent really took a liking to the name Mary Margaret for a baby girl.  There's nothing that says a girl named Mary Margaret HAS to be Catholic, but many would assume that a person with this name was from a Catholic family, possibly of Irish descent.  It would be strange for that child to go through life as Jew with this name.  The assumptions people would make about her religious and cultural identity would lead to awkward misunderstandings.

But even that doesn't capture the weirdness of Cohen being a last name that's really a title AND a name that many, even if they have little contact with the Jewish community, would associate with Judaism.

Cora Elizabeth is a great name!  I don't think you can use Meredith with Elizabeth as a middle name.  Too much "th."

Cole Robert is also nice!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade