November 2019 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Is anyone else not feeling baby yet?  I am a little over 18w and I was hoping to feel more by now (3rd time mom) and I definitely remember feeling my girls much earlier but I also think I carried them higher so maybe that plays a part. 
  • @Dancer688 I am 18 weeks today and not feeling much at all. I thought I felt the little one in the a few times, but nothing really. I do have an anterior placenta, so I'm trying to chalk it up to that and not freak out since I'm definitely having other symptoms still. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm 18 weeks tomorrow and just started feeling what I believe is movement yesterday. It's still not consistent though. I am a STM. 
  • @gumby22c I'm short with a short torso - my first was in my ribs all the time!  
  • @gumby22c also long torso here. The space between my hip bones and belly button is insane. I’ve always felt self conscious about it actually but now I’m seeing it could end up being a blessing.

@Dancer688 I’m not feeling movement much either and I’m at 19w2d. The only times I’ve felt like I’ve maybe felt something is at night when I wake up to switch positions. 
  • Any thoughts on self tanners or spray tans (by a technician, not machine)?  I’m in a wedding in four weeks wearing a light grey dress and realllllly need some help in the tan department.  I always used smelly Jergens back in the day, but there’s got to be something healthier out there now 🤔
  • @rogro118 I have actually been using some on my legs. I got some from R&F because my cousin sells it. It goes on smooth and you have to work hard to actually mess it up. 
  • @Dancer688 egg allergy is tough! When my son was an infant he had a milk protein allergy. I had to eliminate all dairy, soy, and eggs to get it to stop as I continued breastfeeding.  It was really difficult to manage. I had no idea how many things have those three!
  • I can't remember if this is the thread we discussed it in and I'm too lazy to go back and look because I'm mobile. I asked where the top of my uterus is at my appointment yesterday and she felt it and said it is 1.5 inches above my bellybutton. So I have definitely been feeling him pretty high. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 what is r&f?! I’d love to know. Especially if it’s hard to mess up. 😊
  • @sdheft619 Rodan and Fields. It is a MLM and I don't usually endorse those kinds of things but I also like a self tanner that is hard to mess up. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 thank you for the uterus intel-I’ve been wondering the same.  She feels so high the last few days, and way out to the side if what I felt last night was her and not some intense gas pressure!
  • @rogro118 It definitely caught me off guard when I felt him way up there. 
  • I sell RF and second the tanner. It’s a foam and so it’s easy to apply. And the color is natural.

@emeraldcity1214 I am wondering if my uterus is above my belly button too. Last night I was feeling a lot of fluttering movement up pretty high on the left. My appointment is not until next Friday though so guess I’ll just have to wait and see!
  • blg116blg116 member
    I may have asked this already, and if so forgive me but I'm super not in the mood to go back through 10 pages to see. 

Anyone else throw up when they're hungry? I havent had dinner yet since MH isn't home yet, and just started puking. It's not the first time- it's been fairly common since being pregnant. Mentioned it to my doctor and he didnt seem concerned, but my God is it annoying to be throwing up absolutely nothing at all. 
  • @angieeeeee that sounds awful! I havent thrown up, but I do notice if I wait too late to eat I get pretty nauseous sometimes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @angieeeeee I had that for a while in first trimester. Generally, I've only been nauseous on an empty stomach, so I would just drink a big glass of water so that I was at least throwing something up? 
    Sending you all of the positive anti-nausea vibes!
  • @angieeeeee yesss 😭 I’m 16 weeks, and I’ve had two days since my last throw up sesh.  It’s worse when I’m hungry.  I try to eat a mini meal around 5 if I know I won’t be eating until 8 or so and it helps.  
  • What is everyone's thoughts on dental work? 

In the fall, I was trying to do my due diligence before TTGP and went to dentist/doctors and had a root canal done. They put a temporarily filling in and didn't put the permanent thing on the tooth. The dentist called me and told me to not schedule the last part until after the New Year because I had used up all my benefits already. Then,naturally didn't do that right away and then got pregnant some time in Feb lol Well, now this tooth has been bothering me and I guess it could be a plethora of reasons. I asked my OB about it and she said x-rays, local anesthetic, antibiotics are all ok. I guess I was expecting her to have some modifications to suggest if I needed treatment. I know I should trust her but I'm just trying to crowd source some opinions here. Thanks in advance
  • @ABabyMarshall I would probably be hesitant to get x-rays if it could wait. Other than that, if your OB is ok with it, I would trust her. 
  • @ABabyMarshall I had a root canal done last pregnancy at about 28 weeks. I had to have x rays done and all that. If the tooth is bothering you I wouldn’t put off having whatever needs to be done. My OB has no concerns over dental work either. Sorry you’re going through this though!
  • @emeraldcity1214 thank you for your input! And @creamcheeseplease good to know you have some personal experience. Hopefully they don't need to do anything too crazy but I have a feeling that maybe something is brewing deep down in the tooth again. Very sensitive and painful suddenly. Thank you! I'll try to talk to the dentist this week
  • @ABabyMarshall if it painful I wouldn't wait. 
  • @ABabyMarshall I had dental X-rays with my son and no problems, just request that they double up on the lead vests.  They said that the localized ones for your mouth don’t hurt baby, but it’s good to be safe.  

My best friend had to have her tooth extracted at 8 weeks, she was in so much pain and didn’t have any other choice.  Her ob wanted her to wait until second tri, but agreed that the risk of infection if there is something wrong with the tooth is far worse than the risk of having local anesthetics, etc.  Her baby is 7 weeks now and all went well!  She was so happy she did it since the pain was causing a lot of stress.  I’d say do it if you’re in pain, especially being out of the trimester I would be comfortable with it.  
  • rae605rae605 member
    @ABabyMarshall I've got a similar situation going on. Had a root canal a few years ago and never had a crown put on. I am starting to get pain with hot/cold. I need to call my dentist tomorrow to see what they suggest. I know how quickly dental pain can come on and it can be unbearable. If I need to get work done and they say I'm good to go, I personally will be doing it.
  • @rae605 yes! Spot on. It has very high sensitivity to heat but not cold and I'm afraid to chew on that side. I have very narrow roots and she had a few tools break off inside (apparently not uncommon) and she also was pretty confident but not 100% she was able to remove all the bad stuff. Best of luck to you in getting it fixed. Tooth pain is some of the WORST pain I've ever felt 
  • @gumby22c my daughter has FPIES too. We have 15 triggers that she’s slowly outgrowing and I’m praying the next one doesn’t have it! 
  • rae605rae605 member
    It is the worst! Before my first root canal I couldn't cope, it was awful! That's why I want to get mine looked at before the pain gets that bad again! Good luck getting yours fixed too @ABabyMarshall. It's no fun:(
  • gumby22cgumby22c member
    edited June 2019
    @JennaLee1486 I'm happy to hear shes slowly outgrowing them! I'm nervous about introducing solids to this baby when it's time as well. We found out about DS's allergies at 5 months when we introduced baby cereals and it was terrifying because he was so little still. I'm not looking forward to the watching and waiting for signs of it with #2 too.

My nephew (brothers kid) also has FPIES. No one in our family (both immediate or extended) have allergies, but both the grandkids so far have the same type of allergy. It's so bizarre and this makes me even more nervous that this baby will have them as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @gumby22c my first born had no allergies at all! My niece (husbands side) has an allergy to milk but no FPIES. My daughter was 6 months when we suspected something was wrong. But because she was FPIES to the first 4 foods she tried we thought it was a digestive problem of some sort. It took until 10 months to get a diagnosis. It was a mess. I’m glad that I at least know what to watch for with this baby, but I’m praying for no FPIES! 
  • KurtniKurtni member
    Does anyone have a swing/bouncer combo, where the seat of the swing detaches and is a stand alone bouncer seat?  I am thinking about getting one, but they just look a little bulky. Are they the same size as a normal baby swing? My target store doesn’t have any in stock so I can’t really see them in person. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kurtni I have never even heard of this. I think it would be nice. It cuts down on baby containers. I just gave my swing away. I don't care for them. I prefer to wear my babies as much as possible when they are newborns. I barely put them down. I think I used the swing I had twice with 1 of my kids. I may be in the minority with never putting their newborns down. 🤷‍♀️ I just love all the snuggles and since this one will be my rainbow, I doubt I ever want to pit him down. I already told my husband he MAY get to hold him. Lol, I will let him hold the baby but everyone else may be left disappointed. 
  •  I never really used the swing or bouncer much either.  It was much easier wearing him in the beginning, then by the time he was more active, he was happy on his play mat if I needed to put him down.  I gave our bouncer away, it was a hand me down and I’d like something a bit simpler like the ergo one, but I used it mostly for showers or after he ate to keep him upright and give myself some space.  I also had a cheap fold up swing that cut down on space and it was portable.  For the amount of time I actually used it, the big ones are just too big for me and I hate things that can’t be moved around.  

It wasn’t this exact one, but similar!
    https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Deluxe-Take-Along-Swing/dp/B00NFETGLC
  • KurtniKurtni member

This is the one I’m considering. I like that  when the swing is in use there won’t be a bouncy seat on the floor anywhere. I also baby wear but loved the heck out of my swing. I gave it to my SIL and shes used it for 2 kids  so it’s not in great shape anymore. I just feel like the base on looks so cumbersome.  Might have to go to buy buy baby or something and look at some in person. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would definitely get it.  As someone who also uses the swing like a lifeline it doesn't look any bulkier than my regular swing.  It does look slightly heavier but that is to be expected.
  • @kurtni the incline on it looks steep. Is that the same incline that is on regular swings. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 Those cradle type swings have two settings. The pictured setting and another setting that is more reclined for infants.
  • @Kurtni that swing/bouncer looks awesome!

So my hospital offers a child birth class, a breast feeding class and a child care class. I’ve signed up for the child birth already but am trying to decide on the other two. I’m leaning towards yes with the breastfeeding class but has anyone else’s hospital offered a child care class and was it worth your time and money?
  • @kopp5988 I think the breast feeding class would be worth it, but personally I would find out who teaches it, if it’s a lactation consultant or a nurse.  I got bad advice from the nurses regarding feeding, I would do it if it’s an LC for sure.  I wish I had taken one in hindsight, but the LC visits during the first two months were super helpful!  I think @emeraldcity1214 has a book she recommended to a few others if you don’t end up doing the class.  
  • @rogro118 oh good advice, didn’t really think about LC vs nurse- I just checked and it’s by an LC. And I’ll probably still check out the book @emeraldcity1214 suggested, I finally just read through the whole BF thread