July 2019 Moms

Cervical Progress Check-In

If your cervix has been checked, how far along are you and what are your stats?

Although it typically doesn't mean anything, it's still fun to stew about it while we wait!

Checked today at 35+5 and I am 1cm, 50% effaced, and his head is low. Doc said hopefully hold out til 37 weeks atleast. STM

Re: Cervical Progress Check-In

• My OB doesn't check until due date unless there is a reason to. So I have no idea! Last time I didn't even know til I was over due (41 weeks) that I was 3CM.
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    I still have 2 weeks until I get checked (36) but I really really really wanna know! I'm waiting until my first check to buy a plane ticket for Grandma. Don't want her to be waiting around forever but also don't want her to miss labor since we need childcare!
  • Loading the player...
  • I got checked 2wks ago at 33wks because of some intense BH. She said I was a fingertip dilated but because I've had so many kids that I probably never fully closed anyways so no concern. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • My OB doesn't check at all. I have the RCS scheduled and if baby decides to come early so be it. They did check me with my first but I walked around for weeks a few cm dilated and she ended up being overdue:/
  • I was a centimeter dilated for the last two appointments. No cause for concern due to being a STM, apparently that is pretty normal at this stage. 

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19 

• Haven’t been checked yet. I doubt I will be due to a RCS. 
  • I don’t have mine for 2 more weeks but my baby is breech so I’m guessing I won’t be dilated at all... so I’m not even trying to think about it. I’m typically not dilated at all at 36 weeks and by 37 weeks I’m 2-3 cm and 100%. But my last 2 babies were engaged in my pelvic area for so long before that 
  • I was checked at L&D during a labor scare and was luckily long and closed...but I hope that doesn't mean I'm in for another 41 week baby   :s
  • Currently sitting at a 2 and 40% e faced. But I also know that means next to nothing lol. I sat at a 5 for weeks with my oldest and ended up being overdue. I was never checked with my twins.
  • I don’t think this midwife checks ever maybe? I get it though, with my first at 4pm one day late I wasn’t dilated at all, but gave birth 12 hrs later. I have friends who sat at a 3-4 for a full week!

• Baby Girl's had her head firmly ensconced in my pelvis for weeks. Fingertip dilation. Not a fan of cervix checks!
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @bartonolivia my second was breech and I was at 4cm at 36wk. She was born at 37. I was really surprised to be dilated without a head engaged but it can happen. 
  • With my first they asked if I wanted to be checked at 36 weeks, so I said sure. I was 3cm, and so convinced I was going early! He came at 39+4. With my second I didn’t bother with checks, and I won’t with this one either unless they feel there’s a reason for them. Just made me more anxious than anything 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • key33key33 member
    Got checked today. She is low, but not super low. But I am sitting at 70% effaced, 4cm dialated at 35-5. My other two were 38 weeks, but I was never this far ahead this early with them.

I have contractions ALL the time and have since 20ish weeks. If they keep up when I start sitting or laying down they told me go to the hospital and call on my way. 
  • I had to get a speculum cervical check when I went to L&D on Sunday :confounded: The standard cervical check was not bad in comparison! All that for "long and closed," too...
    Baby is head down and estimated to be 5lb7oz as of yesterday. If she gains a half-pound a week, she will be just under 8lb on my c-section date!
  • I was checked at my OB appt today - not a fan. I'm not showing any dilation yet (FTM 35+5). 
  • acgxacgx member
    Was 1cm & 80% effaced today. My OB reiterated that it means nothing in terms of how soon I'll go into labor. But did say likely means I'll go into labor on my own and not need to be induced later, which is always good to hear! 
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @bartonolivia I'm so glad to hear baby is head down!!!!!!!!!
  • 36w today, STM, dr said i was a good 1cm dilated. Going on friday to confirm she is head down. Supposed to be due on 7/10
  • I’m reading and have heard from friends doctors saying how much (if any) you are dilated means nothing and that it’s either uncomfortable or painful. So my question is, why have it done? 
  • @blackhottamales when I was a FTM, I just assumed how dilated you were was a good indication of when labor would start, and since my dr offered to check, I figured why not. I don’t recall it being painful, but definitely caused me more anxiety because I was 3cm at 36 weeks and still went almost the full 40. 

With my second I realized it didn’t matter, and the only reason I went ahead with a cervical check at 37 weeks, was because I was going to be induced and they wanted to see if I would need cervadil or something else to kick start labor, or if I was already dilated, we could go straight to pitocin. 

This time ill have them check at 36 weeks since they’re already down there doing the GBS swab, but won’t have any checks after that. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You can totally opt out of doing them. I like having as much information as possible so I'm all for finding out if all my Braxton hicks contractions are actually me progressing. With first I was 3 cm at 36 weeks and still went right up to my due date. So if you think it will cause anxiety feel free to ask your doc to skip them or check every other week instead

• I’m kinda sorta curious where I’m at but only 34 weeks. Today my body just felt weird and i had some semi-intense Braxton Hicks that made me feel like dilation might start soon.

i did have a cervical check at the hospital at 32weeks and I think that it was extremely uncomfortable mainly because my cervix is still really high and posterior so she hat to push deeeeeeeeppppp. Really deep 😖😣. 

That said, I just talked to my doulas and they said I can even refuse hospital checks while I’m in labor and I’m considering doing that after the initial intake check. 
  • @blackhottamales it’s only uncomfortable to me if my cervix is still closed. I had a pattern with my past 2 of being 2cm at 38 weeks and closed before that and I went into labor on it shortly after their due dates. Now that I’m 35w and dilated the same as I was with them at 38 weeks, I could have her early if the pattern continues. I’m not banking on it but it’s nice to know. Also, I like to know that my body is progressing in its own & since it’s my 3rd I already know my body progresses fast once labor starts so I’ll know to get to the hospital ASAP since I’m already 2cm dilated & effaced at 35 weeks. 
  • I like getting cervical checks! Mostly because I’m nosey and just want to know. I also have babies before 40 weeks.. so I like to know what’s going on. 
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @blackhottamales I'm willing to cling to false hope at this point!!!

With my third I was 5cm at my 37 week appointment. Baby stayed in another 2 weeks. But at least I had some comfort that my body was progressing and I wouldn't be pregnant forever....?

Lots of people refuse checks. But I'm too curious!
  • Had first cervical check today (35 weeks). Nothing! But head is very far down and I can feel that pressure. I delivered my first at 37 weeks with no cervical checks prior. We will see how this goes!
  • I was a fingertip at 36 with my GBS test. It's my first. I don't mind the checks because I'm super anxious about going into labor at work especially since I'm delivering at a hospital across town from where I work 
    FTM
    July 4th
  • Got checked again today for my 37 weeks. last week i was 1cm 50% and low, this week i had a diff doc and she said 1cm 50% and stage -3... meaning not very low? all of this means nothing! but i thought for sure i would be more effaced, because I have been crampy and felt a lot of downward pressure and cervix scraping. and the wait continues!
  • @blackhottamales I'm with you. Here they don't do checks or even offer them. My OB has never been down there for any reason and won't be until it's baby time (and really not even then because I'm a RCS). School of thought here is that it's not good to mess with the cervix at all during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary. So they don't. I like that policy. But I understand people being curious and wanting to know too:)
  • @Panaceia do they do the gbs swab though? 
  • I’m opting out of the cervical poking about until 40weeks when I’ll do a membrane sweep. With DD at 40+1 I wasn’t dilated at  alllll, we had to schedule the induction, I had a pretty depressed evening and the she was born less than 12hrs later without any interventions at all. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
    We did the GBS swab this week but it doesn’t need to go anywhere near that high. 
  • Even though I’m a RCS, The OB decides to so one anyways... at 36+4 I was 1cm dilated. That happened on Thursday, and I’m still
    bleeding from it. Not bright red like it was the first day, but it worries me a little still... :( 
  • @Bear14+ The OB doesn't do it. I did it myself. Which I so prefer. They give you the swab and you go to the bathroom and swab yourself, put it in the tube, and give it back to them. Don't need anyone else poking around in there:)
  • @erynpdx I had a membrane sweep at 40+1 with DD and went into labour later that day. If I wasn't a RCS I would definitely be doing that again at 40 weeks if baby wasn't here yet!
  • lost my mucus plug saturday/sunday. progress!
  • Had my first check, only 1 cm but doc said cervix is super soft. Checked with ultrasound and baby is head down and definitely low. I work a ridiculous amount this next 10 days so I'm sure all that physical activity will create some progress by my next visit.
  • @Niesen27 I feel ya on the work. I was having BH all day today, super busy day at work. I hope you have a healthy, safe delivery!
    FTM
    July 4th
  • @firecracker_mama same to you! Sometimes you get excited like yay possibly making progress but other times they are just annoying! I think the biggest contributor for me is I never get a chance to drink enough water and then run around and dehydrate.