July 2019 Moms

Post-partum home care for mom

I feel like we've talked about this, but I can't find where...

STM+, what items should I already have at home for myself post-delivery?

I know pads - anyone recommend a brand or anything else? I've always been a tampon user and there's so many pad options!

Re: Post-partum home care for mom

• @acgx I can’t recall the brand, maybe Always, but I made sure they were overnight extra long pads with wings and max absorbency. There was so much postpartum bleeding. 

I also bought a pack pack of hospital grade mesh underwear off amazon to wear with the pads at home. 
  • I'm a first time mom so I don't know from experience but I've been researching and found that alot of women prefer depends for the complete protection. I also got a can of dermoplast for pain relief, herbal perineal spray to help the recovery go quicker and the fridababy Mom washer to help keep clean
  • Loading the player...
  • I used the extra long super absorbency pads for about the first two weeks. Definitely check with your nurses, a lot of times they will stock you up with supplies before you leave the hospital! The dermoplast spray and witch hazel tuck pads were amazing. There are a couple of kinds of dermoplast sprays, and if i remember correctly, you want the one with the blue lid. The witch hazel was especially nice to have on hand for hemorrhoids. I also took a stool softener daily for the first week. I didn’t necessarily have trouble going, but the nurse suggested it because it could only make going easier if it did get to be difficult. 

The peri bottles were also nice to have on hand. Tylenol, ibuprofen or whatever you want to take is also good to have on hand. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I used WalMart brand maxi pads with NO WINGS. Wings were the bomb.com back in middle school, but honestly it's just an extra step you don't need. 

For c-section mamas (I don't wish it on anyone...but remember it's a possibility!) something like this makes a HUGE difference! 
    Just having something to 'hold everything in' made me feel so secure and more comfortable. I wore mine over regular underwear so I didn't feel like I had to wash them EVERY DAY. They're totally worth the money. 
  • mnkennedmnkenned member
    edited June 2019
    Agree with everything @Cbeanz said and I am one of the people who loved the earth mama spray! Also their nipple butter. Witch hazel pads were life saving. Agree with giant, no wings pads. Also rec colace or miralax stool softeners post partum - definitely use the as needed colace in the hospital! You'll thank me later...

Also get some granny panties and comfy nursing wear - I lived in these and the full shirt version around the house: https://www.amazon.com/CAKYE-Womens-Maternity-Nursing-Breastfeeding/dp/B01F6PZMM4/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?keywords=nursing+bra+top+wear&qid=1560114808&s=gateway&sr=8-15

And lots of one-handed snacks.
  • i found out after natural child birth that some popular pad brands can hinder flow of ur period after birth. the best ones, i suggest a variety, you get from a pharmacy and not from a super market-type place. there are natural cotton ones, and u can also get 1x use disposable undies... which is v. useful the 1st week, as lifting ur leg n bending down can be a challenge. and finally, at least 1hr in the day, ariate ur hoohaa, if u hav stitches. the nurse can help with the details. but it is important u do so daily.  please dnt try any sprays.... IT BURNS! good luck.
  • As long as they are maxi pads, any brand is ok. Also depends are wonderful too! I used them after my c-section but plan on using them again. And here's a hack:  Take a couple maxipads, smear them with aloe vera gel, add about a teaspoon of witch hazel and a few drops of lavender Essential oil.  Fold the pad back up in foil and freeze. I've already made about 6 of them. Thaw them slightly and they feel soo good on your sore lady parts!! 
    You can also put aloe vera gel in breastmilk bags and keep in the fridge for sore breasts. Make sure to have lanolin on hand also if you're breastfeeding. Umm, I think that's all besides comfy clothes! Don't expect to fit right back into those jeans, but also don't shop for new clothes right away lol. I did that and ended up with jeans that were too big after I lost the baby weight!
  • STM, I keep hearing about these "padsicles" https://www.gentlenursery.com/organic-pregnancy/easy-diy-padsicles/ first link I found from Google. Do these work or are they genuinely helpful? Friends keep telling me about them.
  • @samanthak46 Yes! I made them with my second. She was a csection,  but I had pushed 3.5 hours first. I learned to thaw them a little as they were soo cold lol! But they felt wonderful! So easy to make, already put some in the freezer for this time!
  • I keep seeing recommendations online for Depends and also thick maxi pads w/ mesh underwear, not sure which is a better option, or should I have both?  Also, are the "padsicles" a substitute for those Tucks pads, or do people use both?  

I have bought nursing pads and lanolin cream for breastfeeding (had not thought about cold aloe pads, so thanks for the tip @kingdommom).

I was going to order this peribottle based on reviews - has anyone here tried it?  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VO65XB0/  

@acgx Thank you so much for starting this. It's one area I feel underprepared for.
  • @hinotes You're welcome! Tucks pads are still nice for hemmorhoids,  which is what I always used them for. Unless you're not going to the hospital, they usually supply a few peri bottles. I saved one from last time, but I'll probably get more anyway!
  • @kingdommom Thank you - makes sense, now.  So I may need both, but definitely will plan on making some padsicles!
  • @hinotes I think everyone is different as are preferences for pads etc. I only bled heavily for the first maybe 2 days? I only had the super long over night pads and wished I had stocked up on smaller ones too. I think I bled for about...3 weeks maybe? But it was very light. I'm a big lover of the mesh undies and pads but if I had bled more I likely would have happily gone the depends route. I don't think there's any harm in having a few options around so you can see what works best for you afterwards.
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    Yes! Sitz bath was good - they gave them out at the hospitals too.
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    A lot of repeat recommendations:

I liked these disposable underwear instead of pads (Always Discreet): 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071X8N9WV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dermaplast- it's an analgesic spray. Makes everything down there feel so much better! The hospital may send you home with some, but have some backup

Sitz bath + soaking salts - it took me a while to give in and get this, because I thought it was weird. IT IS AWESOME. It really helps with swelling and hemorrhoids. Ugh, I can almost feel the sensation of relief just thinking about it. 

Lanolin cream if you are breast feeding. I just used the Lansinoh and it was great.

Get some bigger, comfy granny panties for when you are done with pads/disposable undies. I was a thong girl before, but these big underwear held everything in and felt great. 

A couple nursing/delivery gowns. I lived in this and am putting it in my hospital bag this time around:  
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8XG0R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SNACKS. I made a bunch of lactation muffins (I couldn't get behind eating cookies all day) and these really sustained me when I didn't have much of an appetite. I just made a bunch and froze them and would microwave one as needed. There are a bunch of recipes online, but I basically just made regular muffins and added brewer's yeast, GROUND flaxseed (has to be ground), and oats. I made banana-chocolate chip and blueberry ones.

I had some padsicle thing that you could re-use but it was uncomfortable and didn't help me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This may be a dumb question, but how long after birth do they recommend you taking your prenatal vitamin? Or is it something you stop taking? I know it has a lot of good in it, but I wasn't sure if there was a stopping point or anything.
  • @samanthak46 Providers may differ in their opinion but I personally like to take one continually because your hormones can become really imbalanced postpartum. Night sweats, super irregular cycles (once it returned) and continued hair loss were some of the issues I dealt with, they were mostly resolved when I started taking a prenatal again, months later. 
  • What about postpartum care for c-section moms? What things out of all that was mentioned will we need or not need? Anything special?
  • mama_bear19mama_bear19 member
    edited June 2019
    @hestia14 make sure you have some highwasted underwear. You don’t want the waistband to fall on your incision. You still need pads.
  • Meant to put @hestia14 .. the bump won’t let me edit 😑
  • @expatmom39 I hadn't looked on Youtube - good idea.  So far, I found lists on blogs and on Pinterest, and I see some similar recommendations repeated, but for all these items, I couldn't tell if I should go out and buy it now, wait and see if I need it, or just not necessary.  Appreciate all the input from those who have been through this before.
  • I think I'm just gonna go with the Always Discreet underwear--they seem to sit high and I can always wrap a belly band around for additional support. But is that all I really need?
  • I answered my own question! Sunflower Motherhood sells c-section mama (and vaginal birth mama) care packages. From the website:

Bundle includes: C-Section recovery panties, abdominal heat / cool pack, post pregnancy panties, stool softener, hemorrhoid gel, cleansing bottle, epsom bath soak, stretch mark / incision oil, shower aromatherapy tablets, essential oil, sleep mask, signature lavender candle, and tips for each product from one mama to another.

https://www.sunflowermotherhood.com/product-page/c-section-bundle

XPing this to FB!
  • @hestia14 I liked the mesh panties for cesarean post-op because they pulled way over the incision and didn't rub. Things I remember are that you aren't really supposed to do stairs and should not hold anything heavier than your baby, including carrying baby in a car seat. Depending on LO's sleep setup, you may need help lifting them in/out. Oh and if you are prescribed opioid pain medication, plan on not being able to drive for a week or two. 
  • @hestia14 def plan something to make it easier to go #2

the hospital provided a peri bottle

I honestly didn’t need any of the other stuff in that bundle

I second the mesh panties for going up over incision. I needed granny panties after that until the incision could handle bikini cut.
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @samanthak46 if you plan on breastfeeding you should keep taking your prenatal vitamin. So I take mine until baby is a year and on mostly solid food.
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    CS mamas might also want to get an abdominal binder from the hospital. I had to ask for one. It felt better to have pressure holding everything in afterward.

I also felt like I needed more help around the house after the CS so don't be shy about asking friends/family. Your job is to heal after a CS, not do chores.
  • I second @Cbeanz and asking for help. Especially if you plan to have more. Letting your uterus and incision heal is incredibly important. Don’t rush it! 
  • +1 to having your own mama to help you postpartum!! Never have i appreciated my mom more. 
  • Yes to the binder! My hospital gave me one and insisted I wear it. I didn’t realize you had to ask at some. If they don’t give you one, definitely ask @hestia14
  • @hestia14 I'm might be the odd one out here but I didn't need anything after my ECS besides pads. I loved the mesh undies too. But that's it. I didn't need/use anything else. Just be prepared for the pain. I found it hard getting up at night to get baby (It was easier to roll out of bed sideways than to try to just sit up). Also, I found gas pain was way worse after the CS too.
  • @samanthak46 You don't need to take the prenatals at all if you don't want. I stopped taking them at 12 weeks due to HG at the suggestion of my OB. Prenatals aren't actually needed at all during pregnancy so long as you're eating properly. Same with after. They are a good multi vitamin but not a requirement during or after. Personal preference so do what you feel is best for you:)
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    Panaceia said:
    @samanthak46 You don't need to take the prenatals at all if you don't want. I stopped taking them at 12 weeks due to HG at the suggestion of my OB. Prenatals aren't actually needed at all during pregnancy so long as you're eating properly. Same with after. They are a good multi vitamin but not a requirement during or after. Personal preference so do what you feel is best for you:)
    Agree!  I eat a balanced diet but I know I don't get the recommended DHA/Omega 3's that pregnant and nursing moms should have.  Even with the amount of fish we eat - I'm nowhere close to sustaining 200mg per day.  I take the prenatal supplements because the mercury levels are lower compared to a regular fish oil capsule.
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    Almost forgot - COLACE or some other stool softener. That first BM after a vaginal birth is scary, make it as easy as possible on yourself. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tsa208 Thanks - that was one of the things I meant to ask about on here, as far as whether or not I really should get it.  Just want to be as prepared as possible.....
  • Cbeanz said:
    Panaceia said:
    @samanthak46 You don't need to take the prenatals at all if you don't want. I stopped taking them at 12 weeks due to HG at the suggestion of my OB. Prenatals aren't actually needed at all during pregnancy so long as you're eating properly. Same with after. They are a good multi vitamin but not a requirement during or after. Personal preference so do what you feel is best for you:)
    Agree!  I eat a balanced diet but I know I don't get the recommended DHA/Omega 3's that pregnant and nursing moms should have.  Even with the amount of fish we eat - I'm nowhere close to sustaining 200mg per day.  I take the prenatal supplements because the mercury levels are lower compared to a regular fish oil capsule.
    Yes to all of this:) I am one of those people that get super sick from the prenatals:/ Oh, I do take folic acid while BFing and even after as a supplement:)
  • Pretty much all of what the rest of the mamas have said. I have padsicles in the freezer, and a postpartum basket set up in each bathroom with: backup granny panties, large pads, tucks, aloe vera, dermaplast spray, witch hazel, and peri bottles. I also have a couple loose dresses and nightgowns that I plan to wear around the house and an abdominal binder. Lastly, I also bought those medical pads (look like doggy pee pads) that are usually used for the elderly or very ill. I don't know what to expect in terms of bleeding and we have light furniture, so I plan to use them to sleep at night to protect my sheets, and to sit on the couch, in my car, nursing rocker, etc. so that if there is overflow from the pads, the furniture is spared. Also could help catch baby spills, pee, etc. 
  • @julybaybay agree with the hospital pads! I was just coming here to say this. I put one in our diaper bag for changes when we're out and about. I also put one on the changing table since there's no protective liner otherwise. I just took all the extras lying around in my room when I left the hospital.