August 2019 Moms

Weekly Questions 6/9

What questions do you have this week?

Re: Weekly Questions 6/9

• I actually have a question for third time moms. Were your first two pregnancies and/or delivery alike? Did you do something before that you did not do the second time and it made a difference? Was it true that your body is used to the process second time around that L&D was not so intense as the first time? 
  • @mamamias I had two c-sections, so I can only speak to the pregnancy part, but they were definitely different. They were so different in the beginning I was convinced DS2 was a girl!

DS1 extreme throwing up through first tri
    DS2 lots of nausea, only threw up twice 

DS1 minimal swelling/pain in joints
    DS2 lots of swelling/ pain in joints 

DS1 stayed put until his scheduled date
    DS2 went into labor 2 weeks before scheduled date

I gained a lot of weight with both. Both were healthy pregnancies (no GD, pre-E, etc). 

• Loading the player...
  • @mamamias my second baby cooked longer than my first but labor/delivery was less than half the time (about 8 hours with 20 minutes of pushing vs 24 hours with 2 hours of pushing the first time). I’m an epidural momma though so as far as intensity it’s  hard to compare the tough part. I had to get an episiotomy with my second bc the cord the around his neck and they suctioned him the rest of the way out (so pushing probably would have been slightly longer if not for that, although I don’t think much) and he was 1.5 lbs bigger than big sister so my overall recovery was actually harder and longer the second time. If it wasn’t for that though I worked out throughout my second pregnancy and I do feel my body was much better prepared for it combined with that and having been through it before. 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I've only had c sections as well but can speak to the pregnancy aspect. 

1st pregnancy no problems at all until 38w when I developed high BP and was eventually induced at 39+2 due to pre-e. Baby didn't wanna go anywhere and we did the c section after 42 hours. The only other "problem" during the pregnancy was my quad screen showed a false positive for Down's Syndrome so I got a few extra ultrasounds, but it was a false positive. I gained 40 pounds and even though I lost all but 10 pounds, I had blood pressure issues that needed medication for almost a year after she was born. 

Second pregnancy was totally different. Had placenta previa until 28w. Also failed the 1hr glucose screen but passed the 3 hour. At 30w had an undiscovered kidney infection that sent me into preterm labor. After a few days in the hospital I went home with no restrictions. Went into preterm labor 3 more times in the next 9 weeks and had prodromal labor basically that whole time. I ended up with hospital stays 2 more times due to the preterm labor and was sent to L&D about 2ce a week for monitoring. My blood pressure went up quite a bit but never got too high and the tests for pre-e were always negative. It took effort, but I made it to the scheduled CS date.  

Recovery was also quite a bit different. Despite the 42 he labor with dd1, recovery from that C-section was much easier than dd2s was. I had a ton more pain with dd2. However my blood pressure went back to normal before I was even discharged. 

DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @mamamias my first 2 pregnancies and deliveries were not much alike. 

#1 morning sickness all pregnancy. #2 it let up around 14 weeks. #3 still going strong. 

#2 and 3 dealing with lots of dizziness that did not happen with #1. 

#1 and 2 gained roughly 30 pounds with each and no complications. #3 currently up about 8 pouds with GD and anemia. 

#1 and 2 measured average. #3 is measuring several weeks ahead. 

DD was born after 28ish hours of labor, 14 after water broke at home. All back labor, she would not drop, needed pitocin, 2 hours of pushing, shoulder dystocia. 8lb3oz at 39w5d. 

DS was born after 5 hours of labor, starting when water broke at home. All front labor, intense from the get go, only a few pushes. 8lbs0oz at 39w0d. 

In general 2nd+ babies come faster but I have some friends who have had long rough deliveries with their 2nd or 3rd. I did nothing different with any of my pregnancies. I would not say labor with DS was any less intense, it was shorter but arguably more intense because contractions were immediately 2-3minutes apart. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Another TTM+ question: for anyone who has problems keeping/catching their breath, any strategies that I can use? I already have exertion-induced asthma so the end of pregnancy is/was difficult. I do breathing exercises as I walk and/or go up or down stairs, but it's really kicked up a notch in the last couple days. And baby isn't even really "all up in my lungs" or anything yet. Just reaching for some hope or possible help. Blood pressure and swelling have been normal/minimal, so I'm not concerned about pre-pre-e or anything ;) 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @mamak225 I just try to sit or stop moving for a few minutes and that seems to help.  Oh pregnancy is so glamorous...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• OKAy this is a first world mom problem/question. For ladies who have masters that are far away from the secondary bedrooms, did you want a good rocker/glider in your master the first few months (assuming the baby was in with you)? I just ordered a new chair and this will be our first baby we are actually bringing home to a large home. My first 2 we were broke grad students so everything was super compact. Our master is really far away from the babies room and it just dawned on me I may not actually want the rocker up there right away while he is sharing a room with us and it may be better to move it when He transitions to the nursery. Has anyone else done this or did you just go ahead get the nursery set up?
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @olivemomma we're all on the same floor but spread out on opposite ends of the house. We only have the rocking chair in the nursery. In the master bedroom, we have a couch though to sit on but it doesnt rock.

• @olivemomma For our first, our nursery was only two doors down, but the baby slept in our room for the first year in her PnP.  Our glider was (and remains) in our room.  By the time we put DD in her own room at  the 1 year old mark, we didn't really have a need for the glider or rocking chair in her room. 
  • @olivemomma our bedrooms are all really close together so the chairs are in the kids rooms... but if it were a long way and baby was in our room, I would put the glider in ours temporarily.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @mamamias throughout my second pregnancy, I kept complaining about things, and saying I don't remember this with DS#1, and DH would say you complained about it then too, you just don't remember. The real differences were with DS#1 my MS was much worse, it's gotten progressively less intense with each pregnancy, and with DS#2 I had never lost the baby weight from DS#1, so even though weight gain was about the same I was much heavier by the time DS#2 showed up. As far as labor, both were very straightforward unmedicated natural births. DS#1 my water started leaking near the beginning, and DS#2 it broke near the end. Besides for that the only difference was length. DS#2 showed up much quicker.
  • BeauxbatonBeauxbaton member
    edited June 2019
    @mamamias all three of my labors were completely different.

DS1 I went to 40w 4d. From first contraction to delivery it was 32 hours. It was gradual, but long. Everything went really smooth, no complications. I "labor downed" for like 30-60 min before pushing and he was out in 3 pushes. And had 3-5 stitches.

DS2 I went to 38 weeks. From start to finish labor was about 12 hours. But I had a placental abruption. So so labor was very fast and seemed to go from 0-100 real quick. And it was so damn painful. There's some other drama that goes with this l&d but nothing pertinent to your question. Once I was fully dilated I labor downed again and he was out in like 2 or 3 pushes. No stitches.

DD1 I was induced at 38 weeks. She failed a BPP and so they induced me. After two spontaneous labors it was awful. It's not that my body didn't do what it was supposed to because it definitely did. But it all felt so clinical. And they screwed up my epidural. From beginning to end it was probably 8-10 hours. Labor downed again and she was out in 3 pushes. No stitches.

So, the labors were all different but the actual delivery was the same almost every time. With my boys I was doing chiropractic adjustments through most of my pregnancy. And I did acupuncture 24 hours (almost exactly) before labor started. With DD I did adjustments for the first trimester or so of my pregnancy. Then she stopped taking my insurance and I didn't want to invest in finding a new one so I stopped it all together and didn't do acupuncture before her delivery. I can't say whether or not it made a difference, but I will tell you I've invested the time into finding a new chiro lol.

ETA- my boy pregnancies were very similar. Like even my thyroid behaved the same with both of them. My medicine got upped to 300mcg pretty quickly and I felt mostly great. Terrible SPD though. With these girls my Thyroid is all over the place and a bit difficult to regulate. I'm only on 224mcg and my T4 is actually high. And this last pregnancy I have the added in Sjögrens stuff so that's different in general. I'm also more tired and more sore, but I'm also 6 years older now and have 3 kids to.take care of.
  • @olivemomma our master bedroom and the children's rooms are separated by the kitchen and the living room. This baby will be in our room until we are ready to move our boys to the basement. So our room is the nursery. But DD has a bedroom and also slept the first 6 months in our room. We did not put a chair in our room. We just fed her in our bed. And then put her back in the bassinet. When we would put her to nap in her room we used her chair. But she wasn't a baby that could only fall asleep rocking, so when doing motn feedings we'd just sit however we were comfortable in our bed.
  • @mamamias - I've heard your second goes faster, not necessarily easier

For my first, I labored and pushed forever. Over 36 hours of active labor, 4 hours of pushing.  *TW* that ended with a 4th degree tear *end TW*

For my second, we scheduled a c-section because any further tearing could cause serious complications and I had GD.  A planned c-section sucked, but we survived. 

I'll have a RCS this time around because my cervix is low this time (I don't know how it can change, but it did?) and I have GD again.  

DD1 and this pregnancy have been very similar except for the GD.  DD2 was a nightmare pregnancy - I had HG until week 20, and then at week 28 they diagnosed me with GD.  I gained the bare minimum of weight by the end and I was just miserable.  So ultimately, I think it can be drastically different every time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • MamaK225MamaK225 member
    edited June 2019
    We did the same as @Beauxbaton: DD1 was in a PNP in our room and for middle-of-the-night feedings, I would either feed her in my bed and put her back down or would walk over to her nursery (our bedroom is on the back side of the house, hers was in the front, separated by a solid 3,648 mile walk :D ) and change her diaper, feed her, and rock her until she was mostly asleep ... then put her down. In the beginning, they're still "learning" to sleep so sometimes it would take a lot longer and I didn't want to wake up DH if it was taking particularly long to get her settled again. As she became more consistent, I changed/fed her in our room (we have a chaise lounge anyway) and then put her back in the PNP.

My question for STM/TTM+: how do you know if you're leaking amniotic fluid? I know we all leak a little urine here and there, but at what point do you get concerned and follow up with your doctor to have it checked? I don't think I'm there yet, but I just feel like there's a good bit of "precipitation" and I'm not 100% convinced it's just pee ... very likely could be the condensation of swamp ass (I do live in the hot/humid South) ... but just wanted to check. My next appt is on the 17th so I'll be bringing it up anyway. Again, I don't remember this being a thing with DD1, but then again the mind is a *wonderful* thing and makes you "forget" all the gross/weird/painful stuff from before to trick you into doing it again.
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @MamaK225 So I have had similar thoughts... I think its mostly just swamp ass... when I leaked with my last pregnancy it was a small leak and was quick... it felt like i peed but I had not felt the need to urinate... Then nothing for about 8 hours and it happened again, that time a slightly larger amount and I was like there is no way I've peed myself twice today... I made dinner and gave the kids a bath (got to love those well timed catastrophic poo-spolsions) Every time DH made me laugh I would have a small leak (though I was not feeling any contractions). I went in and it was confirmed that it was amniotic fluid. (I was 40+2)  This time around I've had a few times where I felt my underwear being actually wet but know I didn't pee.... its been on hot days though and I didn't have repeated "leaks" so I figure it was swamp ass... If your concerned though it doesnt hurt to get checked... better safe...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @MamaK225 I leaked fluid with DS#1 once the contractions started. It was basically a very consistent trickle. It always felt like something was coming out, and *tmi* when ever I wiped there was enough "discharge" to need to wipe more than once, also I was going to the bathroom like every 5 minutes because the moisture was so uncomfortable, and the stuff coming out was yellowish green because there was meconium.
    But again I was already in early labor, so I'm not sure how it would differ without the contractions.
  • Both of those make me feel better @wabash15 and @mrosek91. It's only about a quarter-size amount, and just enough to dampen but not "soak" ... it kind of increases over the day, but not an alarming amount. I also read somewhere that your urethra increases something like 2-3x normal circumference, so I was thinking it is more like a slow leak (I try to make it to the bathroom - where I need to or not - ever 2.5 hours) than anything to be really concerned about. No feelings of contractions or anything like that and there isn't any "gush" or movement from baby that would indicate anything. I'll still ask though, can't hurt ;) 
    **History in Spoiler**

• @MamaK225 with my first son my water started leaking after 12 hours of contractions. There was no gush. It was a very very slow leak that didn't stop. I called the nurse and told her it felt like I was very slowly and continuously peeing myself. I will say that it didn't stop it wasn't off and on, it was steady. It was completely clear and had no smell. I had been having contractions for 12 hours and was definitely in labor, so it wasn't concerning.

If you're worried ask your doctor. But I'd be willing to bet it's pee or discharge or sweat.
  • So, I had some dental work done a couple weeks ago and was on an antibiotic. I then developed a yeast infection. 😕 Monistat didn’t cure it, so I had to go to the OB and they put me on Diflucan and a prescription strength cream. Yeast infection went away. Two days after I finished the treatment I needed to go on another antibiotic, now I’m paranoid about getting another yeast infection. Anyone take probiotics or something else when on antibiotics? Any tips on preventing yeast infections? I’ve only had the one this pregnancy and one last pregnancy and no others in my life. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    edited June 2019
    @cmessamore definitely add a good probiotic and eat yogurt specifically with probiotics too. Also, you should be able to get whoever wrote you the anti to also write the diflucan just in case, and hopefully save you a trip/copay to the drs office just for the yeast infection. It’s worth asking, the office I work for will write both if the woman tells us she’s prone to them when on antibiotics 
  • @cato99 @peachy0709 or anyone else with GD experience. I need to test my fasting blood sugar in the morning and then 1 hour after starting all 3 meals.  Sometimes i like a protein shake for breakfast of lunch but I usually sip on it for more than an hour, any idea when to test in that situation? I am curious what that does to my blood sugar but worried about testing at the wrong time and skewing results. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @MamaK225 I called in during my last pregnancy thinking I was leaking fluid and they told me to change my underwear and lay down for 15 minutes. They said when I stand up, if there is a gush (even a tiny gush) then to go in and have them swab to check. But if I was able to stand up and stay dry, it's probably just discharge. It was November and not hot enough for real swamp ass. One time I did the lay down thing and stayed dry so I didnt go in. The next time (a few days later) there was a gush so I went in and it was just normal discharge, not fluid. So its probably not a super reliable way to tell, but may help some. But as always, if you are concerned at all about leaking, its better to get checked.

• @sourlemon - Thank you, that makes total sense. I'll do that for a few days and see how that goes. It's truly not enough to be concerned, I'm just surprised (by the end of the day) that there is any fluid really. I truly must've blocked out everything from my last pregnancy (I'm pretty sure I was using liners towards the end for this reason: urine + normal discharge). 
    **History in Spoiler**

• @Allycat11 - I need a refresher on the "rules," but I was always advised to consume my meal within 20-30 minutes to avoid skewing numbers.  But sometimes life happens, and I was always told to start timing at the completion of the meal. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @cmessamore eating yogurt can help. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @MamaK225 this time around I'm sweating just doing nothing at all. Plus discharge. Plus peeing every time I cough (which is a TON right now with pneumonia symptoms). Pregnancy is absolutely GLORIOUS.

• @Allycat11, I test on completion. In the morning, I sometimes drink my tea over a long period of time while I get dressed and then start the clock 1 hour after I’m done. Idk If that’s right but they’ve never said anything. 

Sooooo. Should one wear pants to a birthing class or am i cool to wear my dress? 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @AKuzReve - The ones I went through were mostly academic/knowledge-based with little physical interaction or involvement. Could you check with your facility? Worst case, just pack a pair of booty shorts to go under the dress ... ? :) 
    **History in Spoiler**

• @mamak225, I feel like it will be the same. It’s a long dress so I may just go for it and hope for the best. 

• @AKuzReve I never wear pants. I don't remember the skirt ever being an issue (although it was over 3 years ago.) We did some role playing, were they had me assume labor positions, and DH work on the relaxing/support techniques they were teaching, but as I reacll everything was doable in the skirt.
  • cato99cato99 member
    @Allycat11 @peachy0709 @AKuzReve I was told explicitly that it’s one hour starting at the first bite. This was a huge drag for me because I’m normally a slow eater, but it definitely stopped me from pre-snacking while I cooked. I guess the logic is that you want to spend as little time as possible with elevated BS, so even the same amount of food will keep it up longer if you eat it in a leisurely 2-hour meal (#me) instead of eating in like 30 mins and then letting your BS come back down. 

But like, we do what we can! As @peachy0709 said, life happens and I feel like as long as our numbers are generally in line we have to liiiiiive a little! I definitely fudged the timing a few times if I had a long meal (and tested, say, 45 mins from completion), but I did adjust my eating speed on a habitual level. 

Maybe you can take a few days to check how your BS reacts to the longer shake-drinking? Check at one hour and two hours from start. My clinic’s guidelines were under 130 at one hour, but I asked about two hours in case something came up and I couldn’t test in time, and they said under 120 at two hours was also ok. Maybe the two-hour mark will put you in line regardless and you can take your time with your shake. But if you’re consistently at like 150 two hours after starting your shake that’s good to know. 
  • @cato99, ah so clearly depends on the practitioner! My instructions are 1 hour after completion of the meal. Maybe ask your doctor what their preferred method is, @Allycat11, since it can vary. 

• cato99cato99 member
    @AKuzReve yeah and my clinic was on the strict side with all their guidelines which made me feel very sorry for myself lol—I was jealous of the numbers set by other ppl’s practitioners. Especially fasting: mine was under 90 when a lot of ppl were under 95, and those few points can cause a lot of stress! 
  • @cato99 - Wait, so you "failed" the GD test with a fasting OTT under 90? Or was that just fasting, in general? (sorry, just loosely following you guys' discussions)
    **History in Spoiler**

• @cato99, ahhh so strict. Mine is usually 72-85 but still I like knowing that it only needs to be below 95. 

• @AKuzReve - that seems so low! I think 70 is the cut off to be hypoglycemic, so just make sure you're feeling okay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @peachy0709, I know! It can get so low sometimes. Even 1 hr after eating, it is sometimes 80-100 so my nutritionist told me to eat more slow carbs & protein with my meals. 

• cato99cato99 member
    edited June 2019
    @MamaK225 once you get the GD diagnosis, your clinic will give you two blood sugar guidelines you need to meet every day (4 times a day), one number is for first-thing-in-the-morning fasting (under 90 or 95 depending on clinic), and one number is for after you've had a meal (under 120-140 depending on how long after meals you test and depending on clinic). Going over these numbers every so often isn't the end of the world, but if you're consistently over you have to look into interventions. This is what we've been chatting about today!

For the actual GD test the numbers are little bit more flexible, but generally if you're even one point over for just one of the many blood draws BOOM GD DIAGNOSIS NO ARGUMENT OR DO-OVERS. At my OB office GD test (which doesn't do 1-hour then 3-hour tests; instead it's one 2-hour make-or-break test) a fasting number of 92 is an automatic GD diagnosis.