August 2019 Moms

Take Home Outfits

I know we still have time but have you planned one? If you're a STM+, is it the same as your other children wore? Any special stories behind it? 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Take Home Outfits

• We will probably do side snap shirts for the first couple of weeks until his little cord stub falls off along with maybe a diaper only. It's going to be Summer here and it gets really hot. I don't want him to get overheated and don't want to fuss with putting all of these clothes on his teeny body straight out of my womb. Omg it's going to be so hard to be separated from holding him in the car ride home. :heartbreak:
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Loading the player...
  • DD wore just a cute Carter's footed sleeper. dS wore a lighter weight footed sleeper from a local boutique that we love. 

I have been trying hard to find a cute take home outfit for this one, the plan is to buy one for a girl and another for a boy...donate or gift what we dont need.  We have 3 local kids boutiques that we love. One is going out of business and has nothing cute left (successful store but owner wants to spend more time with her family). The second lacks newborn inventory so is better for bigger babies, toddlers and kids. The third has not had anything I can't live without in newborn size. 
    So now I am searching the internet for the perfect outfit. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @chillycanadian, so cute! I’m also unsure if his will fit but I’m being hopeful. I’ll bring a back up just in case. Or somehow turn it into a shirt with some pants and be creative. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• aukeevaukeev member
    edited June 2019
    I am one of those moms who likes baby clothes that don't really look like baby clothes  :# I'm planning on this simple separates outfit from Mebie Baby. The fabric is pretty lightweight, so hoping it's not too hot for late August. I'm sure the AC will be blasting in the car. 

@suzycupcake DH and I were just talking about that the other day! We have a 35-minute drive from the hospital to our house and I'm already sad about missing that time snuggling him. I'm sure I'll ride in the back next to the car seat, though.

eta photo!

• I’ve always done a simple footed sleeper and probably will this time too. I have all of DSs old clothes in NB - 3 months out and ready to wash when I get back home so I’ll go through and check. I usually also take a NB size and something slightly bigger just bc I’m afraid of having a gigantic baby! (Ha this has never happened and the NB has been just fine. But my BIL left the hospital in 6 month clothing so it keeps me paranoid).
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • DS came at 37 weeks and was 6lbs and only 18”.  All of his clothes were ridiculously large on him.  Everyone told me we wouldn’t really need newborn clothes so I mainly got the 0-3 size.  Turns out he was in newborn size for almost 3 months.  I plan to have a couple different outfits this time for baby sister.  DS was a thanksgiving baby and came home in a MagneticMe velour sleeper.  I love their clothes.  I wish they weren’t so pricy.  Not sure what Baby Sister will wear but probably a light sleeper given it will be hot in Denver.  
  • @Beauxbaton Those sound like really awesome tattoos! DH and I have been trying to think of tattoos for DD and now LO. Our first stuffed animal for DD was a penguin so we've been thinking of getting penguin tattoos and now we're also factoring in what the first stuffed animal should be for this one based off what would also be a cool tattoo. Do you have pics of YH's? Those sound really cool.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD1 wore a cute little onsie dress and cardigan going home (in May, at 100 degrees).
    DD2 wore a "Little Sister" footed sleeper (December, only 50 degrees). We had planned to use a cute outfit with sweatshirt, but of course she spit up all over it as we were loading her into the car seat, so I went with plan B (the only thing we had left that I brought).
    Both of those worked out fine and the car ride home was only 10 minutes. With DD1, I had to go in a separate car home because after the C Section i could not get into DH's low car, so I rode with my step dad in the Volvo. For DD2, we had bought the Volvo and that was our main vehicle so no problem about being in the same vehicle, but I chose to ride in the front. She slept the 10 minutes home.
    The plan for this kid is to bring the outfit below in NB size and I think we have a similar one with a bear on it in 3mo size. DD2 is obsessed with Baby Shark, so when I saw the shark outfit I had to get it, even before we knew this kid was a boy. We will have backup clothes as well because you just never know if they will poop or spit right as you go to load them up. We will put him in the full outfit for a few pictures at the hospital, but not keep the sweatshirt on him for the way home. I dont like my kids wearing hoods in carseats until they are closer to 2 years old, plus itll be too hot. We do have a 90 minute drive home (meaning itll probably take 2 hours with a NB) so that's going to suck. But Ill sit in the back with him.

DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @Beauxbaton those tattoos sound awesome! I plan to eventually get tattoos symbolizing each of my kiddos but have not found anything I want to commit to. DH and I each have a few tattoos but have not gotten any since having kids. 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @chillycanadian if the hanger says 3mo, that usually means its a 0-3mo size, or "up to 3mo". Some brands label it with just 3mo and other will say 0-3mo, but they are the same size. However, brands are cut so different from each other that 3mo in Carters is about the same as 6mo in Gerber. I've found that Disney brands run short and fat, Carters are long and skinny, and Gerber is somewhere between. There will be a lot of trial and error to see what fits best for your kid.

• I have the boys names tattooed on either side of my lower back... not sure where I’ll put a third...

#zeroplanning
    #neverthoughttherewouldbethree
  • I ditto the sizing advice from @sourlemon . I hated Gerber because the sizing was so off, pretty sure I did not buy any for DS. Disney is definitely cut more wide which worked for DS but not DD. Old Navy has always run too wide for DD, Gap sometimes does but not as badly. You will definitely learn which brands fit your kiddo best.
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Theses outfits are so cute! I honestly haven't thought much about it since we're team green it will likely be something pretty neutral. It will be super hot and humid here too. So, I'll have to consider that.
    My dear friend got us a onsie, the day we did our transfer, that says "Worth the Wait" so I may do that with pants/shorts, but I'm not sure what size it is. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• ElcaBElcaB member
    edited June 2019
    @Allycat11 I find Old Navy's toddler sizes to be HUGE. My 2.5 year old has been wearing 3T tops for awhile and the only ones she swims in are the 3Ts from ON. I've also found that sports team apparel from the NFL & college FB run pretty big for babywear. Pickle couldn't wear the 6 mo. onesies until she was about 12 months!

I find the number of people on here saying they just do comfy sleepers as take home outfits oddly refreshing! Nothing wrong with planning something special but I'm all about comfort for infants. I felt like the odd duck in my last BMB where it seemed nearly everyone has something poofy or personalized!
  • aecmaecm member
    As a February baby, DD came home in fleece onesie identical to the left one in this picture:

*These are for the boys, but in larger sizes so they fit in the winter...definitely not coming home outfits for August babies.

I purchased DD’s in newborn size...my mom looked at it and said there was NO WAY my kid would fit into it - it would be way too small. So I had a 3mo size outfit for backup. Turned out DD was a very average sized newborn (7lbs exactly), and was swimming in that onesie for the first month. 

I honestly have no going home outfits planned for the boys. I suspect they’ll be smaller than DD b/c they’ll inevitably arrive earlier - but I’m not sure they’ll be small enough for preemie sizes. If they are preemies / small enough for preemie sizes, DH will be making a run to Carter’s to pick out something while we’re in the hospital.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @ElcaB the way I see it my baby would rather be naked anyway so simple and cozy is the way to go for me. I also dont want to be fussing with weird ruffles and layers when buckling an itty bitty baby into a car seat. Plus when we get home from the hospital we have big plans to cuddle on the couch and do nothing, so might as well dress for the occasion! To each their own though and no judgment on moms who want something frilly and cute! 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @aecm DD1 was born at 6lbs 1oz, was around 5.5 pounds when we left the hospital, and preemie outfits didnt fit. NB was huge looking, but preemie was still too small. She did wear preemie diapers for 2 weeks though.

I'm high risk for this baby coming early and having IUGR, but I'm still not prepping with preemie clothes. I figure if he's that small, and we get to take him home at that size, DH can run out and grab a set.

• +1 to putting the baby in whatever summer weight sleeper fits.
    DS#1 was 8lb 6oz and did not fit in NB, my MIL showed up to the hospital with several outfits in NB and 3 months, and I picked my favorite. 
    DS#2 was 8lb 1oz. I had one NB size we had gotten as a gift for DS#1, that we had not had a chance to use. I felt bad because it was cute, so I stuffed DS#2 into it to go home. It's the only time he wore it.
  • I like the idea of a cute, comfy sleeper too. I had never thought of that and would definitely be a good option!

Me: 31  DH:35
    Started TTC in June 2014
    Started seeing RE in June 2015
    HSG in July 2015 = normal, started Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI cycle in August 2015
    Cycle #3 in October afforded 1st month of mature follicles - underwent IUI
    BFP on 10/27/15 - EDD 7/8/16
    DD#1 born on 7/1/16

TTC #2 in September 2018
    BFP on 12/2/18 - EDD 8/16/19
    Team Green!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    Aw you guys! I love all your outfits! I showed DH the onesie I hope to bring baby girl home in. It’s a white onesie with honey bees on it. I’ll have to post a picture later...I’m madly in love with it and it’s 0-3 mo this but husband said he was afraid it would be too big. I’ll probably take alternates and stick to my tradition of overpacking....
  • DS came home in a navy cotton sleeper with little foxes on the feet. 

This LO will likely come home in a light cotton sleeper in floral print or something that looks girly but not frilly/structured. 

DS was mid September,  so this LO will be around 6 weeks earlier but Sweden hardly ever gets sweltering,  so I think a cotton sleeper will be a good choice :)

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• I agree. All of these ideas and outfits are so cute especially that little frilly tutu like dress omg is that adorable! 

Dang ladies, I was complaining about the car ride home but it’s only about 3 miles from the hospital. My heart goes out to you long drive Mamas. Good idea to sit in the back with your baby. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• These outfits are all so cute! I hadn't really thought about a special coming home outfit until someone asked if I had something picked out. I was like, "no not yet" meanwhile internally I'm thinking to myself "I need to have a special outfit that's not just a onesie or sleeper? wtf why did no one tell me this?!" So I'm relieved that the consensus seems to be that it's okay to just have something simple.

Question though: everyone has told me to wash baby clothes before baby wears them. For the coming home clothes where you don't know for sure what size baby will be, do you buy a few sizes, wash them all, and if there's anything too small just donate it because you can't return it once it's been washed?
  • @lovelikestardust the baby shark outfit I have in NB will be washed and all the 3mo stuff. Anything else that I bought new in NB will not be washed until we know if it will fit. I have a bunch of hand me downs and yard sale stuff in NB that I will wash again and bring some of those to the hospital.

My suggestion would be to wash one NB outfit that you would want as the going home outfit and save the tags on the rest. While the baby is in the hospital, they can just wear the hospital provided clothes or you can bring gowns. Unless you have a 12 pound baby, 3mo sizes should either fit or be too big (if NB fits).

• My MIL bought an outfit that she decided will be baby’s coming home outfit. It’s cute and all, I just wish she would’ve thought about the fact that I, the mom, would like to maybe make that decision 🙄 I don’t care enough to make a big deal of it, she just does this stuff a lot. Means well, but kind of takes over with her own ideas.

• I wash everything for babies before putting it on them. If for some reason it doesn't fit I donate it a place in town that helps out underprivileged mom's. I also don't buy expensive baby stuff. And I have incredibly averaged sized babies lol. All three of mine were 19 inches. Two were 7lbs 4oz and the other was 6lbs 14oz. So I'm not worried about this kid not fitting in newborn. Aaaaaand everything that is newborn, aside from maybe 2 outfits is either hand-me-downs from previous kids, or I bought at a consignment sale. 
  • @lovelikestardust don't forget that you will be in the hospital for a few days, and they provide clothing, so the outfit doesn't need to be ready to go when you leave for the hospital. With DS#1 MIL picked up a few outfits brought them to the hospital so I could eyeball which would fit, and then my mom who was visiting took them back to our apartment and washed them. Baby was born Wednesday, that happened Thursday, we went home Friday. Not sure who will be around/visiting you in the hospital, but you can even send DH home for an hour or two to do a quick load.
    I will admit like @EmilyA724 I do not wash the clothes the first time they are worn, but this is the third kid, I did for the first.
  • I love seeing all these cute outfits! The NB sized clothes I have are all things I bought second hand (like $1 each) so I'll probably just go through and pick something among those. It's super hot here in August/September so I think just a onesie will be all we need. 
  • RE: washing baby clothing

My kids both have sensitive skin and I used All free and clear ... it’s much cheaper than baby specific detergent and you can just use it for the whole family. 
  • Ditto @EmilyA724 I don't wash in advance and would only start if it became a problem. I know I should but due to sizing issues and laziness I just don't. Neither of my kids have had issues. 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @thirdtimesacharm2019 I second All Free and Clear. We started using it with DD in 2015 and it’s now just the detergent we use.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well, this is what I ordered the other day. But I didn’t think about it being August. If we have the air conditioning on in the car, think it’s ok? 

• @EmilyA724 I don’t pre wash either for the same reasons!

I haven’t decided on a take home outfit but I have a couple things in mind... this romper is so soft and I love how it’s just like “hi, I’m here” haha
  • Thanks for all the info and tips, ladies! Very much appreciated. After talking to DH, I think we'll probably end up getting a couple things in different sizes to bring to the hospital with us, washing them beforehand, and anything we washed that's immediately too small we will donate or take to a local baby clothing swap. I, uh, hadn't considered laundry detergent. We currently use regular old Tide, but I guess we'll see if our Costco carries something for sensitive skin. I can't see us using baby-specific detergent, though. 
  • I only wash everything first because I have sensitive skin and am sensitive to scents. If I buy something second hand and it was washed in scented detergent I end up having to wash it more than once. Also I'm really sensitive to animal dander or fur or something. So if it's second hand and they had a cat or dog it will make me itch.