Toddlers: 24 Months+

Move from crib to big kid bed. HELP!

Looking for some tips, advice, and encouragement before we start this transition. 

My daughter will be 2 in a few weeks and we’re preparing to move her from her crib to a big girl bed. We’re skipping the toddler bed stage for a few reasons. #1-I’m 14 weeks pregnant, and the crib, which transitions to a toddler bed, will be used for the new baby and I don’t want to get her use to the toddler bed and then have to transition again in a few months to another bed. #2-We are currently building a house, and will likely be moving in shortly before this baby is born. I’m hoping to make the move as seamless as possible for my 2 year old by having her use to the big girl bed before moving. That way her bed and bedroom will feel familiar to her.

she has always been a good sleeper, and even asks or tells us when she wants to take a nap or go to bed at night. We put her in her crib with her blanket, puppy, and nuk and she puts herself to sleep without making a sound. She has never attempted to climb out of the crib, and doesn’t seem to mind just hanging out in there until I am able to get to her. 

I’m anxious to disrupt this pattern and throw a wrench in our sleep schedule. Any tips or advice that helped you make this transition smooth would be greatly appreciated! Also, any challenges you encountered that you weren’t expecting, and how did you deal with them?

Re: Move from crib to big kid bed. HELP!

• Camp20 said

she has always been a good sleeper, and even asks or tells us when she wants to take a nap or go to bed at night. We put her in her crib with her blanket, puppy, and nuk and she puts herself to sleep without making a sound. She has never attempted to climb out of the crib, and doesn’t seem to mind just hanging out in there until I am able to get to her. 

This was my son until just before his 3rd birthday when we switched him to toddler bed.   Then he all of sudden wanted someone to lay with him until he fell asleep.  So one of us would do that and then leave.  Then it turned into he wanted to lay by us.  So he would get out of his bed and lay in floor next to us until he fell asleep.  He now sleeps on the floor instead of his bed.  I have no helpful info as I’m still trying to figure out how to break this.   I just wanted to give you my experience.  It changed our entire night time process.   It used to be easy and smooth.  Not so much now 
  • Honesty, keep her in the crib while you can if she likes it. Get a cheap crib for the new baby and call it good. My two year old loves his crib still, and I got a whole set of new furniture for my daughter so that I didn’t have to worry about swapping or prematurely taking him out of the crib for when she needed one. Totally worth every penny for my sanity and to keep him contained at this young age. 
  • Loading the player...
  • meggymemeggyme member
    We transitioned DD1 to her twin bed on the floor around 2 years old. She did really well, we tried to keep the rest of her bedtime and naptime routine the same. Honestly, I think transitioning her before she started trying to escape her crib was helpful because she wasn’t interested in getting out of her bed and would just go right to sleep.

Make sure their room is babyproofed, and possibly the nearby rooms (after a few months ours started to explore the house in the morning).
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • My 1st turned 2 this weekend & I'm due with number 2 next month. It took a full week to get my daughter to sleep all night in her new big girl bed. We made sure the baby gate was locked so there's no worries about danger in the middle of the night. We kept bed time routine the same & made a really big deal about he turning 2 and being such a big girl and that was the incentive she needed for a successful transition.