January 2020 Moms

UO (Unpopular Opinion) Thursday 5/30

2»

Re: UO (Unpopular Opinion) Thursday 5/30

• MollySmMollySm member
    I am on my 4th kid, and have literally never heard not to eat fried, runny yolk eggs.   Sushi isn't totally raw, it's flash frozen which kills bacteria similarly to cooking, so I eat that too.  Perhaps I should be writing in FFFC...  And sub sandwiches are so much better when baked, so I don't mind eating my lunchmeat that way. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• @leprechaunlady that's awesome! But I don't know where I'd find Irish or British eggs here in Washington state. I did read that you could eat runny yolks if the eggs were pasteurized but I've also heard that ruins them 🤨 I'll probably just stick to scrambled eggs and then forever remind my child of how much I suffered for them 😅 (kidding!) 

@MollySm yea, I guess it's similar to eating undercooked chicken. High chance of salmonella. Which also means you're "supposed" to avoid things with raw egg, like mayonnaise, hollandaise sauce, cookie dough... In the end it's all just a precaution. Since it's my first, I'm trying to follow as many as sanely possible, just in case. But I'm also trying to remind myself that the earth still managed to populate before all these rules and people in various parts of the world without access to much still breed, so clearly the rules can't be that hard and fast! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @leprechaunlady do you guys have non-refrigerated eggs like the other places in Europe I’ve been? It’s a way better system for sure! 

I tend to follow the egg rules only since I’m just as happy with omelets or scrambled anyway but last pregnancy I was baking and ate a ton of cookie dough before realizing I really shouldn’t have. Oh wellll.  
  • @Xstatic3333 yeah our eggs arent refrigerated in the supermarkets but i do put them in the fridge at home. It never occurred to me that this isnt the norm until you asked! Lol
  • @Xstatic3333 @leprechaunlady I'm sure U.S. eggs are refrigerated because of how everything is processed and packaged here. They wash off the "bloom" which is what keeps the eggs fresh. Most of the eggs you buy in store here are already several weeks old. My MIL has a farm and chickens and she leaves the eggs on the counter and they can last for weeks without refrigeration as long as you don't rinse them and wash off the "bloom" or natural protective coating. Once that's washed off, they must be refrigerated or they can go bad in a few days. Also, farm fresh eggs are so delicious, probably because they're actually fresh. Too bad MIL is the next state over or I'd gladly eat her chickens' eggs with runny yolks. 😋
  • @leprechaunlady I think your way is the norm and we’re weird!

@peppyj9 same, love the farm fresh eggs! They are amazingly good. 
  • @kbrown2385 I used to feel like you about not sharing but it was more exhausting hiding things in fear of another mc.  I felt like I had to be on guard all the time.  @somewhereinnyc This pregnancy we shared with our families around 5 weeks.  If something happens again I'm confident they will be supportive in a non-annoying way. I won't share on social until I'm showing, and even then we won't "announce".  I don't think I have ever come across a woman that hasn't had a mc or known someone who has.  I think it's getting a little more common to talk about miscarriage but we definitely have a long way to go.

@peppyj9 @Xstatic3333 . effff that, my dogs are my babies.  We had them before our daughter and pamper and spoil the hell out of them.  #dogmom4ever

UO- I think people who "rehome" their pets after having children are evil.  Your pet did not choose YOU for an owner, you chose them.  Don't be a dick and "rehome" them because you are tired and they don't fit into your life anymore.  This topic gets me fired up.
  • @justsuzie that's all well and good. Nothing wrong with spoiling you'r dogs. Our cats are spoiled too, but do you think of your dogs on the same level as your daughter? Also, I can see what you mean about rehoming pets after children, but I would think it has more to do than just being "tired" and I wouldn't judge someone for putting their child before their pet, because they should. That being said, we have absolutely no intention of rehoming our cats but I have been trying to research how to introduce a baby into the home. I'm mostly worried about my cat Monkee, who is spoiled rotten and territorial. She's a bit of a bully to our more timid cat and ensures she is in one of our laps pretty much at all times so I'm certain she will feel jealousy towards a baby getting all the attention. But, she's just going to have to get used to it! But you bet your ass mama bear will come out if my beloved cat hisses or is otherwise aggressive towards my baby. Pets are important, but children come first, period. 
  • @justsuzie ok, first, the little box train with your daughter and dogs is adorable!! 😍 2nd, it is sad that so many pets get rehomed with life changes.  I'm sure the owners think they're doing the right thing, but surely the pet would rather just stay. Years ago I had to rehome a dog that I shouldn't have gotten in the first place and I felt horrible, but it was necessary. He ended up in a much better home than I was providing, but after that, I vowed to not get a pet again until I was settled, which is what everyone should do, but not everyone does, obviously. I ended up going with cats because they're more low maintenance but I'd like to get a dog when my child/children are older. Anyway, I feel like dogs are better than cats at adapting but maybe my cats will surprise me! I read to start using baby lotion for the smell an play random recordings of a baby crying so they get used to the sound 😅
  • justsuziejustsuzie member
    edited June 2019
    @peppyj9 we actually had to give the dogs LESS attention before baby got here to prepare them for the adjustment. It was heart wrenching.  Cats are much more difficult to separate from the baby because they are so agile. Good luck! I have three fiends with cats and all the cats did when the *baby got here was hide out for literally the first 6 months 😂😂😂

@Xstatic3333 there are certainly extreme circumstances where rehoming is the only option. I think if you’ve exhausted training with an expert then you’ve got to do what’s best for the family and dog. What gets me is when people do this and then charge a “fee” to ensure the dog goes to a good home. Always work with a rescue to regime your pet! Rescues do so much background checking with vets and home visits. Sorry Im ranting. We got our shitzhu mix from a rehoming situation and he was so traumatized to be in our house the first few months because it wasn’t his home. Breaks my heart thinking about it. Buuuuuuuut now we have him and he is the greatest dog ever!

edit for autocorrect 
  • @justsuzie I’m with you. Our kitty drogo is my fur baby and I’m his furmama. Clearly he’s gonna be on a different level than baby #1 but drogo has been with Lucas and I since we got engaged basically. He’s our first little one. You better bet we will do everything in our power to make this work for us. Because he is family. Though judging his reaction to other pets (he met our friends puppy recently) I think he’ll do just fine. He mostly shows annoyed curiosity. 

The one one thing he’s gotta learn though is that “his” bedroom (our current guest bedroom) won’t be “his” for much longer 🤣
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • I’m definitely a dog mom. I love my dog. He’s been with me for a long time. He is not more important as my DS but he is most certainly a member of this family. He actually did really well with adjusting to DS. He pretty much treats him like his puppy. And now that DS is older (5) they play together and it’s so sweet. It breaks my heart thinking people have had to rehome them. I couldn’t imagine having to do that. But I understand how not every animal can adjust so well and in some cases it’s the only safe option. 

TTC#1 - March 2013

BFP 8/9/13 - EDD 4/14/14 - DS born 4/23/14

TTC#2 November 2015

Dx: Secondary IF June 2016

Medicated IUI cycle#1- Clomid+IUI -1/15/17 -BFN

Break Mid 2017 - Resumed TTC December 2018

"She believed she could so she did..."

Medicated IUI cycle#2- Femara 5mg+IUI 12/22/18 - BFP 1/4/19 - MMC 2/1/19

Saline Sono 3/15/19 - All Clear!

Medicated IUI cycle#3- Femara 7.5mg+IUI 3/28/19-BFN

Medicated IUI cycle#4- Femara 5mg+Gonal F 50iu+IUI 4/27/19- BFP 5/11/19 - MMC 6/12/19 - D&C 6/14/19-

Incomplete M/C Repeat D&C - 7/3/19 -Testing concluded baby was genetically normal  :'(

Dx: Unexplained RPL July 2019 - Tested + as carrier for Usher Syndrome & Familial Mediterranean Fever 

Saline Sono 8/7/19 - Mostly Clear! All systems go for IVF#1 

But will need a repeat Saline Sono between ER and FET

IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - 8/17/19

ER#1 8/27/19 - 12R, 6F, 4 biopsied+frozen! (3d5blasts + 1d6blast)- 2 PGS normal embabies!

Saline Sono 9/13/19 - All Clear! Onto FET Prep#1

FET#1 - 4AA -10/4/19 - BFP 10/14/19 - EDD - 6/21/20 -Beta#1-10dp5dt- 379 Beta#2-12dp5dt- 1007 Beta#3-14dp5dt- 2844

DD born 6/15/20  <3

• @stashattack our guest bedroom was also our dog bedroom. But then it turned into our extra adult sleeping room when we had the baby. 

@hanshotfirst77 and every kid needs to grow up with a dog or cat!
  • @justsuzie I wholeheartedly believe in that. My parents never let us get a dog and I wanted one so badly. My dog now I got in my early 20's and I am so glad my DS has gotten to grow up with him. 

TTC#1 - March 2013

BFP 8/9/13 - EDD 4/14/14 - DS born 4/23/14

TTC#2 November 2015

Dx: Secondary IF June 2016

Medicated IUI cycle#1- Clomid+IUI -1/15/17 -BFN

Break Mid 2017 - Resumed TTC December 2018

"She believed she could so she did..."

Medicated IUI cycle#2- Femara 5mg+IUI 12/22/18 - BFP 1/4/19 - MMC 2/1/19

Saline Sono 3/15/19 - All Clear!

Medicated IUI cycle#3- Femara 7.5mg+IUI 3/28/19-BFN

Medicated IUI cycle#4- Femara 5mg+Gonal F 50iu+IUI 4/27/19- BFP 5/11/19 - MMC 6/12/19 - D&C 6/14/19-

Incomplete M/C Repeat D&C - 7/3/19 -Testing concluded baby was genetically normal  :'(

Dx: Unexplained RPL July 2019 - Tested + as carrier for Usher Syndrome & Familial Mediterranean Fever 

Saline Sono 8/7/19 - Mostly Clear! All systems go for IVF#1 

But will need a repeat Saline Sono between ER and FET

IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - 8/17/19

ER#1 8/27/19 - 12R, 6F, 4 biopsied+frozen! (3d5blasts + 1d6blast)- 2 PGS normal embabies!

Saline Sono 9/13/19 - All Clear! Onto FET Prep#1

FET#1 - 4AA -10/4/19 - BFP 10/14/19 - EDD - 6/21/20 -Beta#1-10dp5dt- 379 Beta#2-12dp5dt- 1007 Beta#3-14dp5dt- 2844

DD born 6/15/20  <3

• Totally agree. I was an only and I can’t imagine how lonely I would have been without my pet siblings growing up. 
  • I had a spicy salmon roll from Wegman's last week  :# . I watched the chef make it, so that should count for something...?? I gave up everything you're supposed to with my first. I do love Expecting Better if you want to see the statistics behind the "bad" vs "good" stuff they tell you to avoid/consume while pregnant. I'll avoid deli meat this time, unless it's from a place I trust that cuts it fresh. I don't eat cantaloupe or any precut fruit.

I'm also a few glasses of wine a month once in the 2nd tri type of person, but my OB and I are on the same page with it.
    Me: 31
    DH: 32

Married: Sep 2012
    TTC #1: Jan 2015
    Baby A (via IUI due to MFI): Sep 2016 born at 35+6

Surprise but very welcome + on 5/16/2019, EDD 1/25/2020
  • @bosslady925 shoot I forgot about precut fruits. I've been eating precut mango and watermelon the past few weeks. 
  • The hot dog talk is cra! I eat 2 hot dogs in a sitting :). Surely if they're "steamed" they're safe for everything I've read? I think everyone knows it's hard to call a hot dog healthy, but there are certainly worse things. I try to make sure and only buy "high quality" turkey nitrate free hot dogs, but anyone who googles will see a natural nitrate is still a nitrate and all that jazz...anyway, I wonder if the risk some OBs think of is different than general listeria?

• @dumbledoredies I've been eating precut watermelon. And I forced my DH to pull my steak off at Med-Rare because no DR can convince me that cooking a steak to death for the 2nd time around is worth eating. Just no. DH tried to argue and I went all "i'm giving up the delicious seaweed rapped raw fish and wine. you will give me this ONE thing" He complied and gave me my steak the way I like it LOL.
  • @stashattack giving up rare steak is defs one of the hardest things about pregnancy for me, id eat it still mooing if I could!
  • To be clear, I don't eat precut fruit regardless of uterus status. I just know too many people IRL to get sick from it.

A friend from my last BMB got listeria around 38 weeks from an ice cream cone. So, YOLO, it's everywhere. At least get it from something good if you're gonna.

• It's true it's everywhere. I mean it's been in freaking lettuce how many times in the last few years?? Like don't tell me that a steak is gonna do me in faster than lettuce with listeria LOL!
  • I love fruit. I normally don't buy the precut but I just started going to Sam's Club and their precut mango is so delicious. UO- I like fruit more then steak!
  • My ex boyfriend used to prepare the precut fruit at a grocery store....so gross.  Ever since then I don't think I've ever eaten it.  
  • peppyj9peppyj9 member
    edited June 2019
    I just never buy precut fruit because it's not cost effective. I'd rather save the few dollars and cut it myself. Now, thanks to you ladies I can claim it's for health and not because I'm cheap 😏
    Edit: typo
  • So, is the precut fruit risk listeria? I feel like an idiot because I had no idea it was a no-no. Then again, I was also blissfully taking Allegra til this week when I discovered it was category C. Oops. I am terrible. 
  • @EmilyE13 - Yes. Last time when I was pregnant in 2017, there was a listeria outbreak in precut cantaloupe. Just being precut makes it at more risk to gaining bacteria.
  • @EmilyE13 not necessarily listeria, though I'm sure it's a risk too, but it's been linked to lots of bad food born illnesses. I've personally known at least 5 people from different states (so buying it from different stores) to get really sick from it. Norovirus, ecoli, salmonella is a big one... Here's CDC write up from like two weeks ago about the most recent recall: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/carrau-04-19/index.html

• This precut thing is new to me, the only thing I’ll get precut is cored pineapple. At my store they have a stand where two ladies are doing it all day and placing it out fresh. Who knows if that’s better or worse 
  • @c1kc1kpol1cn1k it all just depends on if they are cleaning their tools well or not. Listeria (and other bacteria I'm assuming) grows on tools that arent properly cleaned. Same goes for soft serve ice cream. If they dont clean the machines well listeria can grow in the machine. At least that's the impression I was under.