Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Traveling with a bay under 1

I decided about 3 months ago I was not going to let my baby dictate my life and I was still going do whatever my heart desired. And my heart loves to travel. My son is 10 months old and I am traveling really soon. I am a bit nervous about the 5 hour flight ahead of us. 

Any tips?? At my destination we have a playpen so we don't need to bring that and I plan on doing groceries when I get there. But for the plane ride. Am I allowed to bring boiled water on the plane or are they going take it away? Measles is on the rise. How do I prevent that from catching to my son who is not vaccinated for that yet?  My son does not sleep in my arms so I am in for the trip of a lifetime.... 

Re: Traveling with a bay under 1

• The only prevention for measles is vaccination. You can ask your sons pedi about an early MMR, but depending on how soon you travel, it may be too late. Early MMR will have to be repeated, anyhow. 

Did you buy a seat for your son on the plane? If so, he may sleep in the car seat. If not, just roll with it. If he is tired enough, he will sleep. Bring lots of toys and be prepared to be “that person with the baby” on the plane. 

As for boiled water, I’m not sure about that. At ten months old, he doesn’t need specially boiled water, anyway (unless he has immune system problems—but then I would advise against travel). Just mix formula with whatever bottled water they have on the plane. 

Good luck!
  • You can bring water on. They do not regulate the amount of water you bring on for your baby. (I have traveled twice with mine, she’s 10 months now. Once was overseas so it was a long day. she travels well but I always bring a couple toys she really likes, ones she can chew on , and snacks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Also a stroller is a good idea I would suggest it.