August 2019 Moms

UO 5/30

2»

Re: UO 5/30

• aukeevaukeev member
    edited May 2019
    @mkrel @AKuzReve @sourlemon @mrosek91Do you ladies think anyone would be interested in a PG instead of a FB Group to help the ladies who aren't on FB? 

eta tag
  • @oklahomak I think this came up a while back and I like the idea of a PG on TB. It allows for almost a transition space...if that makes sense. It is a way to not be public and get to know others a bit better and be more open. anf if  eventually moving FB if that is what the group decides at least the PG will have allowed for some vetting. It is also a bit more inclusive.
    Also, maybe I'm just old, but I find FB groups difficult to navigate. the posts aren't in any kind of discernible order. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Loading the player...
  • agpandmeagpandme member
    edited May 2019
    @mkrel YES to the UO of not liking gift showers.  Ugh the worst! I would have been happy to not have one but DH insisted so we made it into a coed BBQ.  He opened the gifts while I sat next to him and laughed LOL

Can y'all help a sister out with the acronyms? I get FB but PG? TB?  MY UO is that I don't like the excessive use of acronyms on this forum.  Some I can understand but others just come out of left field and I'm lost. 
  • @agpandme PG is private group. TB is the bump
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I thought of a UO. I think it's totally ok to re-home/surrender pets. Especially if you are a first time pet owner or it's your first pet in a long while. There's a lot that goes into owning a pet, and sometimes you think you're prepared and you're really not. Also sometimes a certain pet just isn't the right fit. I think it's better that people recognize that they aren't meant to be pet owners, rather than let them selves and their pets be miserable. I do think you should do everything in your power to ensure the pet goes to a good home. But I don't I think you should feel guilty surrendering them. I did however feel really sad when we rehomed our dog. He was literally the most perfect dog I could have ever asked for and we had him for 6+ years. But with every pregnancy/kid in just became more and more allergic to everything. I can hardly ve around my mom's dog which is a dog she's had for 13 years. 
  • @aecm in my last BMB there were I think 6 or 7 of us that had or were pregnant with twins...  I am surprised that there did not end up being more this time. 

I'd be game for a PG, but also agree that it feels a little early to move... 
    +1 to being sad that july has migrated already. I loved their BF thread.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Not a fan of bridal showers! It’s just so awkward to open gifts or watch other people open gifts when they are just household items. I feel like all wedding gifts should just be money 😂 (if anything), and if there is a need for a party maybe just an engagement party with no expectation for gifts. Baby showers seem different though, because you’re getting gifts for a brand new human that you’re bringing into the world. Almost like their 0th birthday party! Bring on all the baby things!
  • Funny story about a bridal shower gift, someone got me a hand-painted ceramic platter at my bridal shower that, while pretty, is just not my taste and not something I would have picked out for myself. But, because I was opening it in front of the gift giver, I of course said something about how pretty it was and how much I liked it. The gift giver was so thrilled that I liked it that they got us a matching serving bowl as a wedding gift. 😂
  • I always look forward to the UO thread and when I noticed so many posts on it today I thought, "Oooo this is going to be good!" Since I didn't have time earlier I was excited to sit down and read it and was disappointed lol. 

I already voiced my FB opinion on that thread. Baby/bridal showers are okay, I am not a fan of a lot of the games and small talk but they can be fun. It is also fun to see what people registered for. 

Shower vs. Bath. For cleanliness I prefer showers for sure. I would bathe more if I had a good soaking tub. During pregnancy I take more baths than I do at other times. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• @Allycat11 ha I also thought it was going to be good and juicy. Alas...

my UO is that minivans are awesome 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I’m pretty indifferent to when the Facebook group happens, I just hope I have enough posts/name recognition to be part of it! But if not, I would understand and certainly wouldn’t make a fuss about it— makes total sense to me that only the most active posters would be a part of it. Also, I’ve never even thought of lurking the other boards! I have a hard enough time keeping up with this one! 

I never take baths but I probably should— laboring in the tub with DS was blissful and I LOVE to swim when I’m pregnant. I Have also noticed that my showers have been crazy long lately. I guess I just like water in general.

not a huge fan of baby/bridal showers either. I do like seeing what people registered for/got

@olivemama I know people love their minivans but I just can’t— at least not yet. Both of my siblings love theirs. We won’t need one with two kids so I’m hanging on to my small suv for as long as possible!
  • @olivemomma that's not unpopular (with me at least). I love our minivan!

• aecmaecm member
    @olivemomma - If loving my minivan is unpopular, then I am 100% ok being unpopular. 

Now I think about it...I don’t know anyone in our generation that has a minivan and doesn’t end up loving it. I dunno if they’ve just come a long way from the minivans made 20 or so years ago, or maybe we’re just at a point in our lives where we’re very accepting of our “soccer mom” status. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    My goodness...when I first saw this I thought it had to be last weeks UO thread and was surprised to see the date. 
    My UO is probably about the medical community. It has its benefits, but I tend to question a doctor before I blindly take their opinion and recommendations. Luckily my primary care doc understands this so when we talk about something new, he acknowledges that I’m going to do personal research too. I just think there’s a little too much money tied up in the medical world for it to always and truly be about the health of the patient. 
    I think people in general are over medicated and undernourished with real nutrients. 
    There. I said it 😬
  • I'm a shower girl for getting clean. A bath should be a relaxing experience, and usually takes me over an hour haha.
    Plus...I have to shower after a bath, or I feel dirty. But I also feel like it's a lot of effort to have a bath, since I have to scrub the bath every time I want to use it. That'll change once we are using the bath all the time for the little one, and we have our ensuite shower for our daily bathing!

Apparently my UO is that rice pudding is amazing.
    I'm obsessed this week. Everyone around me is disgusted by it. I can't get enough. Everyone is telling me im weird...

Also, rasins do NOT belong in cinnimon buns!!!
  • @chillycanadian I’m the same way. Have to scrub the tub before a bath and the shower after. I don’t have time for that lol. 

Oh no, not rice pudding. I went to visit my grandmother a while back, just a random night, and she had made rice pudding. I don’t think I hadn’t even had it before and she kept offering. It was SO difficult to finish it. Yuck. Never again! 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @chillycanadian Yessss to rice pudding! I do like raisins in my cinnamon rolls, but given the choice I'd rather they not be there. 
  • @olivemomma On the topic of minivans. I can see how they are practical.  A friend of mine just bought one and she only has one kid!.  I am hoping she will fill the van.  My sister opted for a CRV but she really needs a 3rd row since her 3rd child came and she has 3 under 5 currently.  We are truck people so I just got another crew cab for the extra room :D 
  • @aecm I think I’ve just accepted the soccer mom status. With that said I was totally against one until someone convinced me to test drive one. However, most of my ‘cool’ mom friends still refuse to go there...
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @agpandme I also have a truck. But anytime driving kids I prefer the minivan. Sadly, the van is actually DHs main vehicle. I drive a Volvo xc90 as my main vehicle.

• Oh got another one .... Kraft Mac n cheese is the best Mac n cheese in existence. We all prefer it over homemade even.

• agpandmeagpandme member
    edited May 2019
    @sourlemon A minivan would just get gross with our life style.  I did have a 4runner at one point but between the horses and the dogs...its better to have a truck bed available at all times LOL
  • I guess hating minivans is another one if my UOs. I can't stand them. We had a Ford Transit Connect. Which is kind of like a cross between a regular can and a minivan. I've driven mini vans, and have ridden in them before, I just don't see the appeal. We are suv people. Although H has been driving my dad's truck for work lately and now he wants a truck, which is practical for him for work. Our family car is a Chevy Traverse with captain seats in the middle. Perfect for our family 
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    Yaaassssss to kraft Mac and cheese!!
  • @olivemomma I love minivans and wish we had one. I drive a Chevy Traverse, which is kind of like the SUV version of a minivan and I would switch if we could upgrade right now. We spend a lot of time at the Y between preschool and kids sports and they have the most narrow parking spots I have ever seen. Every day we are there I am envious of people with sliding doors. DD is to the point where shs likes to get herself out but I am constantly panicked that she is going to nail the side of someones car. I also wish we had bucket seats instead of a bench seat in the middle because getting to the back seat is a pain, especially with car seats in the middle. The other day I was driving behind someone who had a bumper sticker that said, "I know, I also said I would never drive a minivan." Pretty sure we should be friends lol. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I love showers.  I love the social aspect. I do hate opening the presents though. I’m having a traditional shower here on Saturday and then a co-Ed bbq where I grew up in July. 

When we were shopping for a house, if it didn’t have a separate tub in the master bath, I crossed it off the list.  Annnnnd I think I’ve taken 3 baths in the 3 years we’ve been here. Oops!!
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    @lovelikestardust Ew!  I like raisins, nuts, & oatmeal- but not in my desserts/sweet treats. 

@sourlemin I’m a bath person, too. I only shower when I need to wash my hair. I rinse off before or after a bath, and also clean the tub each time. However, our master doesn’t have a tub & I am okay with that. MH is not as clean as myself & doesn’t rinse out the shower after each use. I prefer not to share with him. 

@chillycanadian I’m with you on rice pudding!!!!  I also love tapioca.