October 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps

So for those who already use a breast pump, or have in the past, what things should be considered when choosing one? Did your insurance cover the cost? Are there things you absolutely think are (un)necessary?

FTMs and those tackling breastfeeding for the first time, feel free to ask your questions here as well!
DD 10/2019

Re: Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps

• So my insurance covers the cost of several different models (based on the website they directed me to), and I truthfully don't know where to begin. I plan to breastfeed exclusively, but I want to be able to pump when I'm out of the house and so my husband can feed the baby as well.

Any advice on any of these would be incredibly welcome:
      » Medela Pump in Style Advance Starter Set
      » Lansinoh’s Smartpump Deluxe
      » Ameda Mya Hospital Strength Breast Pump
      » Ardo Calypso Essentials
      » Spectra S2 Plus
      » Ameda Finesse with Minnie Tote
      » Freemie Hands Free Independence Breast Pump
      » Evenflo Deluxe Advanced
    DD 10/2019
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    I’ve heard very good things about the PISA and the Spectra 2. That’s all I have here
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Loading the player...
  • I had trouble breastfeeding so I ended up exclusively-pumping for DS for about 20 months. I was also using a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) for a good majority because of lactation consultant "prescription" as well as borrowing it from her (she's a family friend too). I cannot recommend it enough, as it was able to help me establish and maintain my supply, wish I could have bought one of my own.

I also had an Ameda (possibly Purely Yours though I believe it is now discontinued) that was provided through insurance and it wasn't too great. The suction was terrible and it always took longer to empty the breast than the Medela. I never used hand pumps so no recommendations on those. 
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• I had the Medela pump in style for my first two and thought it worked great, however I have nothing to compare it too.

This time around I’ve been hearing a lot of people raving about the Spectra so I’m thinking of getting that one this time. My insurance covers both.

Anyone use the Medela and Spectra and thoughts on which one was better?
  • I used the Spectra S2 and really liked it! It worked far better than the portable (swing) Medella pump I also had. 

I’m thinking of getting the portable Spectra S9 this time and using both. My friend has it and loves it.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• I’m following for reviews of the Spectra. I had a Medela and it was ok. I actually liked the manual pump better so I’m hopeful that the Spectra is amazing. 
  • Adding that I also tried the Freemie cups with my spectra pump, but didn’t like them. They were a bit difficult to maneuver (I spilled milk once or twice) and didn’t get as much suction and therefore less milk out of them. Some people really love them, but they didn’t work well for me.

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

• I had a Medella PISA last time, it was okay. I’m going to get a Spectra this time. Also the milk catcher things are on my list, can’t think what they are called ATM.
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• I loved my Spectra S2, it was awesome! I used it with the kiinde system as a sahm and thought it was totally worth it. The bags are a little extra, but it makes everything so danged easy lol I just pumped one side while he nursed the other for our 5/6am feed every day and we built up quite the stash 😊

I used the Medela Symphony during my 4 day NICU stay and didn't care for it 🤷🏼‍♀️ 
  • nnaelilaknnaelilak member
    edited May 2019
    Oh, and a haaka!! I would use the haaka on the other side when he was nursing and pour into my pump bottles (be sure you don't mix warm milk with cold milk, I used 2 bottles for this reason). When it hit 4 ounces I would bag it! 
  • My work has an awesome perk of providing hospital grade pumps, so I used a Medela symphony at work and thought it was great. At home I had a Medela PISA which I got free from insurance. I hated it by the end. I don’t know that there was anything wrong with it, I was just so sick of pumping. And compared with the symphony it wasn’t as comfortable and wasn’t great at clearing clogs, which I was prone to. The PISA was pretty good for traveling though. While on a trip, I used it in a car with a car adapter and on an airplane with a battery pack.  

+1 to all of @prpl11butterfly’s tips. Those were my tricks too. 

I think I want to get a spectra this time. I’ve heard good things about them. If anyone knows about the differences between the spectra models, I’d be interested in hearing about them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had the Madela PIS that was covered through insurance last time. I’m a SAHM so I didn’t use it a ton but it worked fine 🤷🏼‍♀️ 
  • junebabyhjunebabyh member
    edited May 2019
    +1 for the Medela Pump In Style. Used it 3x a day for the first two kids, it was great and I plan to use it again. But don’t have anything to compare it to. 
    Agree with all @prpl11butterfly’s tips—air tight container in fridge between pumps, two sets of everything (including bottles) and definitely get a hands free bra! I pumped into the bottles and my boys drank straight from them the next day. Whenever I froze, I used Medela freezer bags, which worked perfectly fine. 
    Edited to add this: To easily find out what your insurance covers you can use aeroflowbreastpumps.com. You fill out the form with your info, due date etc and they contact your insurance company and doctor and then email you with your options. Once you make your selection, they ship your pump directly to your house. This is a free service! I was skeptical at first, but worked well for me (four years ago anyway). 
  • nnaelilak said:
    Oh, and a haaka!! I would use the haaka on the other side when he was nursing and pour into my pump bottles (be sure you don't mix warm milk with cold milk, I used 2 bottles for this reason). When it hit 4 ounces I would bag it! 
    This is misinformation! You can absolutely mix warm and cold milk. 
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• I have medela, spectra, and hygeia pumps. I used Pumpin’ Pals flanges with all three - they angle down and make everything SO MUCH more comfortable. Highly recommend. 

I pumped at work from 6mo-18mo with my first and 12mo with my 2nd. 

Hygeia - I had the best output with this one and like the parts the best. They are really robust. Learning curve to figure out the best suction/speed combo but it’s a really great pump. Closed system which can be donated and used by more than one person. 

Spectra: feels the most like nursing.  The letdown (the reflex that triggers milk flow) function is really effective. I appreciated the light and place to put a bottle so it doesn’t spill while you are disconnecting. It’s also really quiet. Closed system that can be donated and used by more than one person. Everyone I know loves their spectra!

Medela: parts can be bought anywhere so that’s handy. I hate the parts though - the tiny flap valve can have so many issues and I found that I had to replace them much more because I’d lose suction. 

Hand/manual pump: I like the lasinoh ones the best! I would take one of these to weddings, etc and pump out regularly instead of lugging my electric. Can really effectively empty your breasts with these little guys. 

+2 to @prpl11butterfly target bags FTW 

I also ziploc bag my pump parts and store in the fridge between sessions and wash once a day at night.  I collect all of the milk from that day into one big Nalgene bottle and then have daycare use that the next day to pour bottles or segment into freezer bags depending on what day of the week it is. Your daycare may dictate how you send milk - some make you bring it in bottles, mine keeps bottles and allows me to do whatever I want. 

Hakaa is a total dream in the early months - you can store so much milk with so little effort!

Having a car plug in or upgrading to a rechargeable battery is so worth it. I pumped in the car a lot!

I will share more breastfeeding stuff when we get closer to that stage. 

• +1 to the Lansinoh hand pump. I kept one at work in case there was a power outage or I had forgotten a crucial pump piece. I also used it MOTN sometimes if DD slept longer than normal or ate less than normal and I only needed to pump one side or just a little bit to reduce engorgement. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got an Ardo Calypso as a test panel and I love that thing!!! It's so quiet, easy to carry and very comfy, the suction isn't to the point of pulling. However due to that, I always felt I didn't get as much out of a pumping session at work, so I used it at home instead, it never woke my kids. Actually the nurses station is where I had to pump and she didn't even know I was one day, it's that quiet!! I got a Medela pump in style from WIC and I do like it. Easy to clean, parts are comfy, and it seemed like I got plenty in a session. It is loud though! But sacrifice for a decent suction 😂 
    I got a Spectra from my babysitter and I'm excited to try it cause I've heard lots!! And I still can get one from insurance, I haven't even called in yet😂 I would love a willow or freemie!!! 

• I had a medela PISA and a Spectra. Definitely prefer the spectra. It's quieter and not as 'rough' feeling as the PISA. 

Agree with others that hands free bra is a must. And put parts in a ziplock and in the fridge between uses. 

I also pumped directly from the spectra into Avent bottles for the next day. Saved so many dishes. Washing bottles/parts was literally one of my least favorite things about the first year of DD's life lol. I even labeled them at work too, to save time in the morning. Anything 'extra' got saved for the next day. Friday's pumped milk (plus anything leftover from other days) was frozen flat in bags and stored in gallon ziplock bags. Then on Sunday night I pulled the oldest frozen milk from the freezer, to thaw for Monday morning. 

There's a chart somewhere that shows which bottles attach to which pump. You can also buy adapter pieces for some bottles. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Also adding that I didn't wash after each pump session at work (as I had to use empty offices to pump and the break room kitchen to clean/store my stuff), though I did use pacifier wipes to clean them a little. I would pump into bottles as well, then keep them stored in this awesome fridge rack at home. 

If I had too much, I would transfer the oldest milk into freezer bag (+1 for Target bags). Didn't get a hands-free bra last time but I'm DEFINITELY getting one for this LO, knowing how much I pumped last time. If you are a numbers junkie like me, I also had a great app for recording my pump sessions called 'Baby Breastfeeding Tracker' (it's a pink icon). It keeps track of other things but I mainly used it for pumping.
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• For a pumping bra, most people seem to like the simple wishes one (or similar) but that style didn’t work for me at all. I liked the one linked below a lot better. The main downside is that you have to be wearing a nursing bra with it, but a pro is that you don’t have to take off your nursing bra to pump. 

BRAVADO! DESIGNS Women's Maternity Clip and Pump Hands-Free Nursing Bra Accessory, Dove Heather, L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCO9OY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eSw5CbTKFENSV
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wore my nursing bras and a Cami with a shelf and that worked at work, not at home thiugh, with an 18 months old and a month old hanging on me! Definitely get a pumping bra! Also I used parents choice bags or ordered the ardo bags. This time I'll be getting more storage bottles to use and some Milkies products, I love their things!

• I had the Ameda with DS. It stunk. 
    I ended up renting a Symphony from lactation consultant for a few months to try and help up my supply. 
    It got us to 4 months with supplementation and I was happy with that. 

Insurance will pay for a 
    Motif Twist Double Electric Breast Pump

I've never heard of this one so I'll have to research. I may just end up renting another Symphony or outright buying a PISA.

Plus 1 to the Target storage bags! And I LOVED the Munchkin microwave sterilizing bags. 

TTC #1 6/2011
    BFP #1 10/2012
    DS#1 born 6/2013

TTC#2 12/2013
    BFP#2 2/2019
    TWINS Baby Girl due October 20th, 2019.
       BabyGaga

• I might be the only person in this thread who didn’t like using the hands-free bras. It was a pain to have to change it out every time and the suction kept the flanges on just fine with only my regular nursing bra on. The one exception was if I wanted to pump while driving. Then the hands-free bra definitely came in handy.

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

• mrsinterwebmrsinterweb member
    edited May 2019
    Also, relatedly, a cooler bag and ice pack just for your milk was good to have -especially if you have a long commute or don’t have immediate access to a fridge. I liked the skip hop cooler bags.

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

• nnaelilak said:
    This is misinformation! You can absolutely mix warm and cold milk. 
    Oh that's good to know!! 
  • Can't really think of anything the other ladies didn't already mention. I got a PISA for work and a Symphony on prescription. Let me pump until well after 12 months.
    My PISA is 6 years old now, so I'm thinking of getting the medela Sonata when we go to Boston in July (medela doesn't sell the Sonata in Germany because moms don't really go back to work under 6mos or even a year PP so pumping at work isn't that big of a thing here. If a mom needs a pump she gets a prescription for a Symphony for home use).

So if any STM+ moms have experience with Sonata, let me know. Don't know if it's worth the OOP cost, just know my PISA is getting up there in years.

The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Can't really think of anything the other ladies didn't already mention. I got a PISA for work and a Symphony on prescription. Let me pump until well after 12 months.
    My PISA is 6 years old now, so I'm thinking of getting the medela Sonata when we go to Boston in July (medela doesn't sell the Sonata in Germany because moms don't really go back to work under 6mos or even a year PP so pumping at work isn't that big of a thing here. If a mom needs a pump she gets a prescription for a Symphony for home use).

So if any STM+ moms have experience with Sonata, let me know. Don't know if it's worth the OOP cost, just know my PISA is getting up there in years.

A woman in my July14 BMB got to test the Sonata with her third baby and LOVED it. I have no other context besides that though. 

• I had the PISA last time and it was fine. Like someone else said, had to replace the little flaps often. I still have it so I'll probably use it again. I can get another through insurance so I'm thinking I'm going to get the Freemie cups.  I will be in the operating room at work where I can't always get a break. Thinking I might just use the freemie cups and pump during the case then empty when I get a break. Not sure how that would work, but I've heard of plenty of people doing it. There's newer hands free pumps, the Willow and Elvie, that have the same concept but they're expensive and not covered by insurance.  I seriously considered getting one but not sure that I want to spend that much money.  But if I end up having issues with breastfeeding this baby like I did with DD1, I might just do it so I can exclusively pump and be more hands free.  So many things to consider. 

I've also heard the Spectra S2 is amazing. I want that one too instead of my PISA, but not in a position to get 2 new pumps! LOL. I'll just stick with the PISA and get the Freemie cups I think.
  • dogmom5dogmom5 member
    I have gotten the Medela with my past 2 babies and I love it.  I had major clogs all the time and the pump really helped me get my clogs out if the baby wasn’t hungry and couldn’t help and it emptied my milk in a decent amount of time.  This next go around, I am thinking about getting the spectra bc I have heard good things about that.  I also might just get another Medela too bc I have loved it the last 2 times.  Some advice from a mom who pumped at work but would prefer to breastfeed anywhere else when I was with my baby is to make sure to have extra parts if you don’t like doing dishes, and I bought the arm and hammer brand pacifier wipes which were like $3 at Target and cheaper than the Medela brand cleaning wipes to wipe down my parts after each pumping session at work and then I would wash my parts when I got home that evening. 
  • I am so unsure of what to go with this time. The previous 2 times have been with my insurance so the process is familiar, but now we are on DH's insurance. I guess a phone call to the insurance company is warranted. Anyone have/have had experience with Anthem BCBS and breast pumps?

I have used 2 Ameda Purely Yours pumps in the past. Definitely intrigued with the Spectra and now this Spectra 9 is news to me!

Recommend keeping a pump at work if you are able to. Have extra bags at work in case you forget bottles or have too much milk for the bottles.  

I bought the Simple Wishes bra and did not really like it. I thought it was way easier to do the rubber band trick. See spoiler.

I used older frozen milk for Mondays, prior day's milk Tu-Fridays, and freeze Friday's milk. 

Cannot recommend enough the Milkies Milk Saver! Just don't forget about it and bend over. Will be trying my Haaka more this time around.

Should nursing bra talk go here or does that fall under a different thread?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • @telicious2 I'm not familiar with the rubber band trick. What do you attach the other side of the rubber band to? I also didn't like the hands-free bras (unless I was driving and truly needed to be 100% hands-free), I just preferred resting the ends of the pump on my arm for regular pumping sessions.

I had the Spectra 2 and really liked it because it felt like a more natural suckling sensation. I also got a lot more milk out of it than the Medela pumps I had for travel use (one was the Swing the other was the manual medela pump). The Spectra 9 is a much smaller, travel-sized pump, probably comparable to the Medela Freestyle.

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

• I hooked the other end onto the little hook clip of the bra. 

But with enough slack you could also loop it to your bra

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Cool hack @telicious2!
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga