July 2019 Moms

IVF gender choice

i did IVF, and am expecting twins. my dr. who implanted the embriyos said i chose you a girl and a boy.
my question is, how acurate is this? can she be wrong?

Re: IVF gender choice

• I haven't had IVF but I'm pretty sure the sex is accurate based on the testing they do on embryos before implantation, and even so, they would have been able to confirm that in multiple ways throughout your pregnancy. Have you asked your doctor that question? 
  • I had IVF and we chose to get our embryos  biopsied  to see if they are chromosomally normal. Part of that test is the gender. If you didnt have that done then there is no way of knowing. The results are pretty accurate since its a physical tissue sample of your embryo 
  • Loading the player...
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited May 2019
    Fellow IVFer here. To know the sex, the embryos would have been genetically tested. They do this after retrieval by skimming a few cells from the outside of the embryo and testing them. This way, you can rule out trisomies and also know the sex, if you want to. This testing is about 99% accurate. 

The thing is, this genetic testing is usually several thousand extra dollars on top of IVF. I only did this testing after several failed rounds of IVF. I feel you would have known about that added expense, unless they did some sort of "package" deal. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    Chromosomal testing is very accurate but there are some MAJOR red flags here regarding medical ethics.
  • @indulgentgypsy - I was thinking the same thing. Why indulge them? 
  • noons40noons40 member
    thank you for your comments. blackhottamales, from your description of the chom. testing, yes i got detailed analysis like that. but no sex was mentioned in the report. i was just asked,  "u want 1 or 2 embryos". after the proceedure the dr. told me she implanted a boy n a girl. thats it. 
    yes by now i could've confirmed the sexes, but am doing a reveal photoshoot in 2 weeks ... yes its late but hey ... this is how i choose to confirm. i wanted to get a feel out there if anyone knew how acurate chosing embryo sexes was, and if theres a chance it can be,say, 2 or the same sex for example. in anycase, thank you again for the useful info some of you gave! good luck... time in near ... home stretchhhhh.... 
  • Bear14+Bear14+ member
    @noons40 so you paid for them to do the detailed analysis and then the doctor picked the sex of your babies for you? Did you let them know ahead of time that you wanted a male and female? I would think that a decision like that is definitely something they would include you on ahead of time. Just honestly kind of bizarre. 
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited May 2019
    A lot of people don't want to choose the sex - they want random or want the surprise that non-IVF couples get.

Generally, if you don't choose the sex yourself, the doctor will just choose the embryos that look most viable (for those who didn't go through IVF, the embryos are graded). The doc may have picked the two highest graded, and those happened to be one male, one female, and then said "I implanted one of each." But the selection may have been based on the grades. I'm hoping that's what happened here.

As far as newbies, it doesn't really bother me. A lot of people don't know these kinds of boards exist and only find them when they start looking for answers to a question. Or they just lurk. I'm cool with either. I enjoy the discussion :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah, it was weird this question just popped up. However, if you have two of the same gender it means one embryo failed and the other one split. This can happen but you’d probably know by now if they were fraternal or identical. 
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    Is sex selection for non-medical reasons legal in the US? I know it's legal for avoiding X-linked diseases but I didn't think people could choose sex based on preference. I didn't think physicians were legally allowed to "choose" sex either but I'm honestly not very informed on this topic.
  • @cbeanz it is legal. Chrissy Teigan and John Legend chose their daughter and son’s sex.
  • @Cbeanz yep! It seems kinda crazy to me too. We were asked multiple times before our transfer if we had a preference. We said just choose the highest grade-and still don’t know what we are having. (Kinda figured if we were going to find out we would have right away) I know in Austria its not legal to choose a sex. 
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    Yep definitely legal. I have done 5 rounds of IVF. The first 3, I just put in one embryo and didnt choose the sex, said to pick the best embryos. My 4th time, we went with two and put one of each and got to be surprised at which one stuck. This time, I wanted to only put one embryo in again, so I chose male since I already had a girl and this is my last pregnancy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • noons40noons40 member
    tesa208 you are right .. i think thats how it went.. they are fraternal btw. 
    and no, i'm not in the USA. 
    thank you for your comments ..