Secondary IF

hysteroscopy

After my first child I had three miscarriages around 13 weeks. My doctor recommended hysteroscopy. Has anyone had experience of it? How painful is it? He seemed to think it was unlikely that there's something wrong in my uterus but just wants to check to cross it off the list. I'm debating it.

Re: hysteroscopy

• Hey, @baila1. I am so sorry for your losses! If you’re interested, there are some boards in ttc that might be helpful to you, including ttcal (trying to conceive after a loss.) This board (secondary if) is pretty quiet, so I rarely venture over here, and so I’m just now seeing your post.
     I just had a hysteroscopy a couple weeks ago. There’s some discomfort, so I took some ibuprofen ahead of time, and that made it ok. My RE was able to see and remove some polyps during the procedure. It’s always scary going into new procedures, but this one wasn’t terrible, at least for me. They had to widen my cervix a bit in order to make sure the instruments wouldn’t accidentally puncture anything, so I did spot afterwards, but with the ibuprofen, not a big deal. Good luck!!
  • baila1baila1 member
    Thank you so much for such a detailed answer! It really helped me!
  • Loading the player...
  • A hysteroscopy surgery is a kind of invasive procedure performed on females to acquire knowledge of their reproductive parts and gain knowledge of the health conditions at the same time. It does not take much time to complete the procedure and the discomfort or pain of the patient is also not too much. A narrow tube-like structure which is called the hysteroscope is inserted into the vagina of the woman; this has a small telescope attached to the end to get clear images of the parts inside.

It’s an easy procedure and does not cause many side effects also. It is performed under the influence of anesthesia and thus you may feel a little dizziness after you come out of the effects of the anesthesia. As far as the cost of the procedure is concerned, it is not too much to bear for an average person.