October 2019 Moms

MAY Healthy Habits/Fitness

Check in here if you want to discuss working out, eating healthy, or any other healthy habit you're working on!

1. What healthy habit(s) are you working on right now?

2. How did you do in April?

3. What are you planning on doing during the month of May to set yourself up for success?

GTKY: What is your favorite trick for staying motivated to meet your goals?

Re: MAY Healthy Habits/Fitness

• 1. What healthy habit(s) are you working on right now?  Currently trying to maintain my strength, flexibility, and cardiovascular strength that I had pre-pregnancy (but while battling the never-ending nausea and exhaustion).

2. How did you do in April?  I did pretty well.  I have continued to do HIIT classes twice per week and then usually do 2 or more other workouts per week.  There have definitely been a few days out for the count.  I have been doing Apple Watch competitions with my husband and he irritates me so much because he always wins since he has his calorie goal as only 50 more than mine despite him being double my weight and a full foot taller than me.

3. What are you planning on doing during the month of May to set yourself up for success?  Continuing my HIIT classes plus running during my kids' soccer and baseball practices.  Now that the nausea is less all-consuming I am hoping to add in meal planning and eating fewer carbs.

GTKY: What is your favorite trick for staying motivated to meet your goals?  I sleep in my workout clothes so that I can get up and go for 5am fitness classes
  • I took the stairs instead of the elevator today 🤷‍♀️

But I really need to do something. I was doing yoga on my lunch breaks prior to pregnancy. I really want to again but I've been extra sweaty and smelly just from day to day so I'm afraid to do much on lunch. My counselor and I discussed walking when the weather gets better. We have a trail right near work and I know exactly how far I can go and still be within my break. We actually did the walk together last month. But again, I don't want to get gross and then come back to work....
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. What healthy habit(s) are you working on right now?
    Trying to drink more water and stay somewhat active.

Terrible. I basically haven't exercised at all since I was 6w pregnant. I completely fell off the wagon with nausea and exhaustion.

3. What are you planning on doing during the month of May to set yourself up for success?
    I have an exercise class I love, that I usually just pay for day of, as a drop-in. I skipped that class for basically 3 months straight, so in May, I am paying for the whole month ahead of time, so I'm more motivated to go since I've already paid. I know myself, and I won't skip if I've already paid 😂

Woof. I have no tricks. I will steal all of your great ideas, though!!
  • I took the stairs instead of the elevator today 🤷‍♀️

But I really need to do something. I was doing yoga on my lunch breaks prior to pregnancy. I really want to again but I've been extra sweaty and smelly just from day to day so I'm afraid to do much on lunch. My counselor and I discussed walking when the weather gets better. We have a trail right near work and I know exactly how far I can go and still be within my break. We actually did the walk together last month. But again, I don't want to get gross and then come back to work....
    Is there a class right after work by chance?  I used to take a barre class right after work and it was nice to decompress before going home.  Plus you can shower at home after.

Does your gym have showers?  I cannot go back to work without showering ever so I am with you on that one.
  • @galentine if you figure out a way to get enough water in, let me know!  That’s a huge struggle for me.  I like your idea of pre-paying for the full month!  That’s probably why I have continued the HIIT classes- I paid for 15 and I am cheap.  Haha
  • Cass005Cass005 member

1. What healthy habit(s) are you working on right now? Eating Low Carb, walking once or twice a week. I still park in the most farthest lot to force myself to walk up to the building.

2. How did you do in April? Easter candy found me….

3. What are you planning on doing during the month of May to set yourself up for success? Continuing with my low carbs, preferably walking more now that its nicer out.

GTKY: What is your favorite trick for staying motivated to meet your goals? Not depriving myself of certain treats

Continuing circuit training, yoga, and jogging. And watching what I eat. 
    I pretty much took off mid-March to mid-April. Survival mode. 
    I workout/check in with other moms who are doing the same kind of workouts. Group accountability. 
    If I keep signing myself up for 5ks I'm less likely to stop training. With my other two pregnancies I stopped running around 20w though because of bladder pressure. At that point I just tell myself I'm training for L&D. 
  • @quidditchcapn1120 I should clarify.... I did yoga at home on my lunch breaks. We have 2 gyms in town but the membership is not really affordable and their yoga classes are far earlier then I'm willing to get up.
  • GTKY: What is your favorite trick for staying motivated to meet your goals?
    If I keep signing myself up for 5ks I'm less likely to stop training. With my other two pregnancies I stopped running around 20w though because of bladder pressure. At that point I just tell myself I'm training for L&D. 
    How are you feeling so far with running?  I am running at least 2 minutes slower per mile and am already ready to purchase a support belt.  I think my running days are numbered.  Asking about pelvic floor PT at this OB visit in a few minutes.
  • @quidditchcapn1120 I did a lot of pelvic floor PT after my daughter was born. It made a huge difference. 

I do feel the strain at this point, and I'm careful not to overexert, but for now it's still doable. 
    Trying to cut the sugar out. We typically have a paleo/whole30 lifestyle but lately the sugar has slowly been creeping its way back into my life. I think after I saw a 5lb weight gain in one week, it was enough to kick it to the curb! 

Did good - by about the beginning of April, most of my nausea was gone and my energy was starting to come back. I was able to resume my normal workouts with ease. However, towards the end of the month, I definitely felt a lot heavier, breathing was starting to get heavier and my pace was slowing. Also my lower back pain started and was just a nagging nuisance during workouts. I've been going to the chiropractor and that has been helping. 

Aiming for 5 days a week of working out. I'm still doing spin classes but may just do 30 minutes vs. the hour long class now. I'm incorporating walking outside to change things up and doing some barre classes. I also started with some spinning baby techniques just to keep things loose and open! 

Looking at the big picture and treating this pregnancy like I'm training for a marathon! I had a really rough 1st birth and part of me feels it was due to my inactivity during that pregnancy. Like literally did nothing and it showed!  I was more active with my 2nd and it helped a ton. By the end of pregnancy I wasn't nearly as miserable as I was with my 1st. 
  • cheznetcheznet member
    I bike to work every day. but it's broken up by public transit so two 10-15 minute chunks both ways, so almost an hour total biking each day. I don't know how I'll motivate to keep it up once I'm done with work.

I also did a prenatal yoga video on YouTube once and tell myself I should do more but when I get home I just want to get in bed...
  • @quidditchcapn1120 I did a lot of pelvic floor PT after my daughter was born. It made a huge difference. 

I do feel the strain at this point, and I'm careful not to overexert, but for now it's still doable. 
    My MFM said he thought I should wait until after this one is born to do PT.  He said it would mostly be kegels during pregnancy.  I bought a support belt today so hopefully that will help.  I’m glad PT helped after you had your daughter.  I hope I’ll get to do it and get some results too later this year!

What kind of pelvic floor PT did you do? I'm definitely going to need it after baby #2 gets here! I haven't been able to workout much the last year because of school/clinicals and am going to start getting back to it after this baby gets here, but I can definitely feel weakness compared to last pregnancy. Praying I don't pee myself!!!
  • dogmom5dogmom5 member
    1. What healthy habit(s) are you working on right now?

trying to walk or stay active in some way every day and get at least 10,000 or more steps.  Also do prenatal Pilates 2-3x a week. Also, trying to eat as healthy as I can.

pretty good, however I got hit with influenza and the stomach flu on top of exhaustion and nausea so I probably could have done better.

keep moving and eating right

my first pregnancy I walked every single day and ate right and I only gained 25lbs and I lost it plus some right away.  Second pregnancy I wasnt as good and I gained more and then my body just wanted to hang on to the extra fat while breastfeeding even though I ate healthy and continued to exercise.  I’m hoping to be like my first pregnancy again this go around.
  • @alinic916 My PT had me doing kegel circuits with biofeedback and e-stim for the first part of my sessions. Then we would go to the gym and do kegel holds with bridges, squats, planks, and jogging. I do these exercises at home now, but the biofeedback and e-stim in clinic were really helpful in making sure I was targeting the right muscle, and seeing my progress. 
  • @ineedsixeggs Thanks! I'm definitely going to look into it after this baby. How often did you go to PT sessions?
  • ineedsixeggsineedsixeggs member
    edited May 2019
    @alinic916 I had pretty extensive damage after my first (4th degree tear) so I went twice weekly for about 4 months. 
  • Chiming in for some motivation. I wasn't fantastic about regular exercise before pregnancy, but I did run (jog...) in my neighborhood or on the treadmill when I could. With the fatigue, it fell way off, and when I want back recently my legs felt fine and my heart rate never really got into the fat-burning zone, let alone cardio, but my lung capacity was so low I basically only ran 5 minutes and power-walked the last 25. I feel like I'm starting from a better place this time than with my first, if only because lifting a 30+ pound toddler everyday is a pretty good workout, but I want to stay on top of it.

Motivation-wise, I have the Map My Fitness app and signed up for their Me vs 2019 challenge at the start of the year. The actual goal is 2019 km in the calendar year, but that's likely beyond me unless I go out for some big many-mile hikes. It's nice that it keeps track for me throughout the year, though, so I can see it all add up, even if I'm only doing a little bit at a time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 1. What healthy habit(s) are you working on right now? Eating vegetables every day after spending my entire first trimester neglecting them thanks to severe food aversions. Also trying to walk, elliptical, or pool run every day (I was a very avid runner pre-pregnancy and had to stop a month or so ago).

2. How did you do in April? Pretty well! I've managed to eat a few servings of veggies on most days, and convincing DH to join me on my walks has been incredibly motivating and enjoyable for both of us. Plus, the weather in the mid-Atlantic has been terrific the past few weeks, so motivating myself to get outside hasn't been too hard.

3. What are you planning on doing during the month of May to set yourself up for success? Block off time every day for a workout (even if it's just a short walk) and make sure to always keep a variety of veggies in the house so that there's a good chance of SOMETHING being edible!

GTKY: What is your favorite trick for staying motivated to meet your goals? This mostly pertains to exercising, but for me, the hardest part each day is motivating myself to get started. I generally have a plan for what I want to accomplish that day (e.g., use the elliptical for 30 minutes or walk 3 miles). If I'm not feeling it, I remind myself that "anything is better than a zero day" (meaning a day where you don't do anything). I'll tell myself to just do something small, like elliptical for 10 minutes or walk for 1 mile (because I can do that no matter how tired I feel!), and if I'm feeling well, I'll keep going. 99% of the time, once I get started, I feel well enough to finish my whole workout as planned. Getting dressed and out the door is often the hardest part!

• runjhall said:

Getting dressed and out the door is often the hardest part!

• Spin class is getting harder.  Something about the saddle seats means that it feels like I have to pee in a bad way the whole 45 minutes.
  • jenferlee82jenferlee82 member
    edited May 2019
    I missed this thread somehow! You ladies are pretty amazing - it's really helpful to read about everyone else's challenges and successes trying to stay fit through pregnancy!

1. What healthy habit(s) are you working on right now? Trying to do yoga five days/week and go on walks two or three times/week. Also trying to be thoughtful and more intentional about what I eat.

2. How did you do in April? Pretty well! I did yoga almost every morning and did good with the intentional eating (for the most part.) Not so much the walks though - the weather has not been great and our treadmill is buried right now because we are finishing out our basement. 

3. What are you planning on doing during the month of May to set yourself up for success? Definitely continuing the yoga. It's as much for my mental state as physical, I feel so much better if I start my day with it! I'm really trying to get the walks kick started too. The weather is supposed to finally start warming up so I think that will help get me out of the house! I wouldn't mind getting back to some of my spin and lifting classes but haven't fully decided on that yet.

GTKY: What is your favorite trick for staying motivated to meet your goals? The biggest thing that works for me is creating and maintaining a routine. For example, I find that if I don't do yoga in the morning and plan to do it later in the day instead, I will skip it more often than not. But if I build it into my routine every morning, at the same time each day, it becomes habit and I actually crave it. 

ETA words are hard
  • Spin class is getting harder.  Something about the saddle seats means that it feels like I have to pee in a bad way the whole 45 minutes.
    This was my problem when I tried to keep spinning early on! I haven't tried a class in about six weeks and was just thinking about going back, but I found nothing that really made this feeling go away and can't imagine it would be better now than when I was less pregnant.
  • @quidditchcapn1120, I do an aqua boot camp type class in the pool, and it's getting to be the same way for me. All the jumping and bouncing type cardio increases the need-to-pee feeling, and being in a warm pool doesn't help matters. Last week at the end of my 45 minutes, I was practically Michael Phelps getting to the pool ladder so I could get out to pee. Never swum so fast in my life! 
  • @galentine I remember always feeling like i was peeing in the pool last time!! Same for a while after I had baby too! LOL. I don't think I was, but who knows.  It's such a weird feeling.
  • @jenferlee82 I’m glad it’s not just me!  Is this your first baby?  (I’m sorry, I’m sure I know this I just forget details combined with screen names).  I wondered if it gets worse after you have more kids (this is my 3rd).

@galentine Aqua boot camp sounds like so much fun!  Are you going to try to continue it or try something else due to the jumping/full bladder thing?
  • galentinegalentine member
    edited May 2019
    @quidditchcapn1120, I definitely plan to keep doing it as long as I can. It's a really fun class, and although it's a good cardio workout, it's very low impact on joints. Perfect for pregnancy! I will just have to always remember to use the restroom immediately before class starts!
  • @quidditchcapn1120 Yep first one for me. And I started feeling that way around week 12, so super early! I haven't been back, but I really miss mixing it up with spin classes a couple times/week so am tempted to give it a shot.

Yes!! And every time I get on it feels like the first time I got on the saddle. I’m trying to incorporate a lot more standing. Definitely getting uncomfortable, don’t know how much longer I’ll last. 
  • Cass005Cass005 member
    So I've been trying to stick to my low carb diet since Doc was okay with that. However I do have smoothies in the  morning. I made one for this morning and it was awful! Do any of you make smoothies? I'm asking because I got a bag of frozen fruit but I let is defrost and the bananas and peaches went brown. Should I leave them frozen?
  • @Cass005 Yes! Just leave frozen and blend the frozen fruit. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Cass005 my go to smoothies these days have been banana, kale, almond milk and a little scoop of peanut butter. If I do a mixed frozen fruit smoothie, I take what I need and let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes before using. 
  • Cass005Cass005 member
    @jal88144 Is the Kale overpowering?
  • Cass005 said:
    @jal88144 Is the Kale overpowering?
    Not at all, can’t even taste it!