October 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Swings

Let's talk swings! What do you have? Pros/cons? Does one need a swing at all?
Ask! Discuss! Swing!

TTC History
Me: 38 DH: 52
Started trying June 2018
BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
TTC October 2021
BFP January 2022
MMC March 2022
Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

Re: Product Spotlight: Swings

• Options
    cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Some people say you don’t need one, but it is the one thing that I used heavily with both boys. It was such a life saver for us. My kids would sleep at night in the crib but refused to nap there for longer than you’d expect. 

We have the version of this one that has a removable seat: https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Glider-Gliding-Swing-Affinia/dp/B00PTL1MD4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=graco+swing&qid=1558101991&s=gateway&sr=8-5

i also have the cheaper one at daycare for my kids. They would only tolerate the gliding type swings. They both hated the mamaroo, traditional (bars above) swings, and side to side swings. 

I did have to replace the motor after DS1, but graco will send you a whole new leg assembly for $40/45ish, even 3 years post purchase, instead of forcing you to buy a new one. I really can’t explain how much we love this swing 
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Options
    We had a couple hand me down swings and this is the one DD liked more: 

Fisher-Price Snugabunny Cradle 'n Swing with Smart Swing Technology https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVNEGLW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jfS3CbZQQTP46

She would stare at herself in the mirror above her head. It plays music, has a couple speeds, and I think you can rotate the swing to make it go side to side or back and forth. It was usually her parking spot while we were eating and she would often doze off in it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cass005Cass005 member
    We had 2, this first one was GREAT! But for us it took up way too much room, we do not have a big house at all and this was too big lol. But it was amazing in getting DD to sleep during those first few weeks. It had different songs, and the seat could come off and be a rocker, but honestly we didn't use that function. She didn't like it unless it was swinging.

We used this one for travel. I don't remember the exact brand but this is pretty much what it was, and honestly I plan to get another one. It was so great to have when we would go out to friends houses while she was still small. I kinda feel like we probably could have used something similar for our home too, just need more support for that infant head, maybe more cushion. Still definitely worth the price.

• Options
    We had the same Graco glider (or similar) to what @cmbt2 posted above. It was THE BEST. Only moved front to back, at different speeds, but my boys were happy in it every time and always fell asleep. Used it until approx 5 months. An exersaucer was next up for entertainment.
  • Options
    jal88144jal88144 member
    edited May 2019
    We had a couple hand me down swings and this is the one DD liked more: 

Fisher-Price Snugabunny Cradle 'n Swing with Smart Swing Technology https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVNEGLW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jfS3CbZQQTP46

She would stare at herself in the mirror above her head. It plays music, has a couple speeds, and I think you can rotate the swing to make it go side to side or back and forth. It was usually her parking spot while we were eating and she would often doze off in it. 
    This is the one we have too and I swear it’s like the magic baby swing haha. I didn’t have it with my 1st and then when I saw my 2 newphews napping for hours in this swing that my sister had, I bought it. It would soothe him instantly and would nap in there for hours. 

• Options
    This time around my friend is giving me one and I have no idea what it is. With DS we hand the Sungapup and love it, but I loaned it out and the motor burnt out
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Last time we had the Ingenuity Inlighten Swing. Loved it. Swings side to side and front to back, has a lights mobile, plays songs or you can hook up your phone to it, and folds up a little to get it out of the way. We did the matching bouncer too. Got them on a local swip swap site because you only use that stuff for such a short time.  This time we're going to get a Graco DuetConnect XL Swing/Bouncer combo. Does a lot of the same stuff, but it is both a bouncer and a swing. Trying to save a little space if we can.

https://www.target.com/p/ingenuity-inlighten-cradling-swing-piper/-/A-16402649

https://www.target.com/p/graco-duetconnect-lx-multi-direction-baby-swing-and-bouncer-asher/-/A-51456653
  • Options
    With DS, I got a hand-me-down MamaRoo. It was just okay, we used it occasionally, we would put DS in there without the swing running. We will try to use it again with this LO. 
    TTC #1: September 2013, BFP 01/01/14, DS 09/14
    TTC #2: October 2018, BFP 02/02/19, EDD 10/14/19

• Options
    Swings are Lifesavers. My babysitter had a 4moms mammaroo and her son hated it, she bought a 25 dollar swing second hand and he sleeps in it all day😂 I couldn't have gotten anything done without a swing I swear. 

I had a bright starts foldable swing with DS, we lived in a small apartment so it was perfect for storage and to move between our apart and my parents. Took batteries, played music and swung slow and steady. My son loved it and so did my daughter. They both fit in it til about 6 months. I had a Graco my daughter hated. And a side to side at the babysitters. I want a side to side this time around, have my eyes on an ingenuity or a Graco not sure which yet. 

• Options
    It's interesting that there aren't really any MamaRoo recommendations. My best friend was so adamant that it was a "must have" that she insisted on buying one for me. I'm super grateful but I'm going to feel terrible if she spent all of that money when one it sounds like so many of these other swings work wonderfully!
  • Options
    I recently saw this article and thought I’d share it as I wasn’t aware of these kinds of issues the first time around. https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2019/05/14/rock-n-play-gone-babies-shouldnt-sleep-through-night-anyway/1144698001/?fbclid=IwAR2mlBW7bd-HO5CpmEloHCSIjnIIfyUn-K-Je6de-mWKlqiKrVakAWKW0kQ

For this baby we do intend to use several devices (I have the RnP, Mamaroo, a Graco front-back swing, and bouncer I plan to break out and try), but intend to only use for daytime soothing and will try to move baby to flat surface once asleep after reading this. 

I would also recommend looking into second-hand swings (FB marketplace or groups are great!) because I think they are hit or miss depending on your baby and it’s a good way to be able to try different ones without spending too much.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Options
    The fact is infants do die from positional asphyxiation and I think parents should be aware of the risks. As I said, I was not the first time around and I just think it’s helpful to be aware and will try to adjust my behaviors this time around.

At the same time I also think parents need to be trusted to do what works for them without judgement and shame. I have friends who co-slept (which no doctor will condone), but it was what worked for them and I don’t judge.  I just don’t think awareness hurts anything.
    *TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Options
    @jenferlee82 I find so many bad reviews of the mamaroo! It's upsetting cause I wanted one really bad 😂 but my kids adored their swings so I'm just gonna stick to a swing and a playpen this time around!

• Options
    cmbt2 said:
    I recently saw this article and thought I’d share it as I wasn’t aware of these kinds of issues the first time around. https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2019/05/14/rock-n-play-gone-babies-shouldnt-sleep-through-night-anyway/1144698001/?fbclid=IwAR2mlBW7bd-HO5CpmEloHCSIjnIIfyUn-K-Je6de-mWKlqiKrVakAWKW0kQ

For this baby we do intend to use several devices (I have the RnP, Mamaroo, a Graco front-back swing, and bouncer I plan to break out and try), but intend to only use for daytime soothing and will try to move baby to flat surface once asleep after reading this. 

I would also recommend looking into second-hand swings (FB marketplace or groups are great!) because I think they are hit or miss depending on your baby and it’s a good way to be able to try different ones without spending too much.
    These types of articles piss me off, mainly because they’re all “bad bad bad” and take no account for the fact that there are kids that won’t sleep flat, at all, and offer no other solutions. The moment you move them, they’re up. What about mom and dad, who haven’t slept in days because they’re too afraid to leave their kid sleep in the swing for 30 minutes while they take a catnap? There’s plenty of harm in that, too. 
    I totally agree- I think they can do a lot more damage than good. Especially for parents dealing with anxiety and severe sleep deprivation and not offering another solution ( I was one of them!).  My 2nd would literally not sleep in a bassinet or crib no matter how hard we tried. It wasn't even that he was getting up every 2 hours (that would be fine and normal), literally wouldn't fall asleep and would scream and scream. The only way he slept was in the R n P or co sleeping.  I did this for the first 4 months and I do not regret it.  I know plenty that would judge me for it but in that situation you have to make the choice that is best for you and your family. 
  • Options
    @jenferlee82 the thing with these type of products is you can get all the reviews in the world but baby may not like it, just keep that in mind. DS hated bouncer and bassinet but loved a swing. We went through 4 bottles before we found one he liked. Lol babies don’t care about reviews. 
    Me: 35 DH: 47

HX
    DSS: 20
    DSD: 17
    DS: 4(Nov'14)
    MMC:8/17
    MMC: 1/18
    BFP: 2/7/19 EDD:10/16/19

Tickers
    BabyGaga
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Both of mine Co slept and breast slept with me, even after everyone told me NO NO NO 🤷🏽‍♀️ they still wind up in our bed but for the most part sleep in their room now. DS started at four months after a double ear infection and he wouldn't stop puking or crying and I didn't know what else to do. DD has actually always slept better alone, but needs help to get to sleep, so I lay with her and end up asleep next to her anyway😂 like I said it's live and learn with kiddos. 

• Options
    It's interesting that there aren't really any MamaRoo recommendations. My best friend was so adamant that it was a "must have" that she insisted on buying one for me. I'm super grateful but I'm going to feel terrible if she spent all of that money when one it sounds like so many of these other swings work wonderfully!
    Both of my girls napped well in the mamaroo! Every babe is different 🤷🏻‍♀️
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker