Infertility

May 19 IVF

Re: May 19 IVF

• Had my baseline ultrasound this morning and it was pretty disappointing. Last time we did IVF there were 21 follicles, this time only 13. Out of the 21 last time only 10 follicles actually grew and only 7 mature eggs retrieved. We had ONE good embryo then, so now I’m feeling like there’s no way this will work and we are throwing $20k down the drain. The RE didn’t sound optimistic either, so that didn’t help. Really hoping all the follicles respond this time. 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque that’s a bummer.  I’m likely going to trigger today and only have 5 follicles.  I have a bunch of small ones that just don’t seem to be catching up.  This process can be so disheartening.
  • Loading the player...
  •  I just got done the egg retrieval, so they were able to retrieve 4 eggs, not as much as I thought and less than the 5&6 eggs i got from the last cycles. I find out tomorrow how many fertilize...hopefully all 4 but that's wishful thinking. I'm 42 so when I see those complaining about 6 etc, don't worry it only takes 1 and sometimes when you have less they are better quality..hang in there!
  • @lemondrop1976 my thought was less might equal better quality, but when I asked our RE he said no and that he wanted to see higher numbers, so I think that’s why I was so disappointed. Plus the fact that only one out of 6 made it for us last time. I know we are still in the race, just not starting where I planned to :) 

fingers crossed all four make it for you tomorrow! 

@penelope4612 sorry your other follicles aren’t cooperating, I have a feeling mine will do the same again too. Maybe the trigger shot will get a few more in the game :)

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque it's crazy how every RE has different answers for the same things. This is a crazy ride. Hopefully we all get good fertility news this week!! I will find out tomorrow if any progressed🤞🙏 if do I get a fresh transfer this Friday.
  • Hi everyone, Reading all your comments was so helpful to me that I wanted to participate.I am 37 and my husband is 39.
    This is my second IVF. I didn’t respond well to the meds six months ago. I had 5 eggs retrieved , 3 fertilized, and one made it to blast. We had a FET because of elevated progesterone levels . This didn’t work.
    On Monday, I had an egg retrieval . They got 13, used 12 and 8 fertilized ( this time I got a much higher dosis of gonal F and menapur.lupron before the stims).Tomorrow I will get the second report. I am so nervous and confused about what to do because they told me that my progesterone is elevated again and they recommend to freeze. We had this experience last time and ended up being so expensive for us . My clinic charges the full ivf even if you don’t finish it then charges for the FET. We are thinking that if we are lucky to get more than 2 , we might do a fresh transfer and see if i works. My RE said that chances go down dramatically to one third. I want to take chances , but I feel that the embryos are so valuable , particularly when you don’t have many that I am not sure if it is worthy.
  • akak23akak23 member
    @Knottie6ae57d064dfa7848 what did you end up deciding to do - fresh or frozen? 

@lemondrop1976 thinking of you too, are are your little embryos doing?

I am in the midst of my second IVF stim cycle. I’ve had 2 failed IUIs and a failed IVF 6 months ago where none made it to the blastocyst stage. I have 11 follicles (4 less than 6 months ago), and I’m really trying to stay positive that we will get an embryo this time. My nurse said I should talk to my follicles to grow big and strong like you would a plant, so I’m trying that now. I really want this to work this time. Right now my tentative ER is this Sunday, will have confirmation at my next appointment on Friday. 

Sending you all lots of positive thoughts and love. Xoxo
  • @akak23 Thank you!

I just finished my 3 Day fresh transfer, 3 6cell embryos now onboard. Hopefully one will decide to stick around this time🙏

• We decided we were going to do a fresh transfer if we have three embryos or more. If we have one or two we will freeze. Tomorrow is day five ..waiting to hear good news
  • We decided we were going to do a fresh transfer if we have three embryos or more. If we have one or two we will freeze. Tomorrow is day five ..waiting to hear good news
  • @lemondrop1976 fx for you! 3 6cell embryos is amazing!! Hoping we have that many in a week. 

Anyone else doing stims? I’m on day 4 of 225 menopur and 225 follistim. So far zero side effects which is great, but also a little concerning, like I wonder if they are working? We have our first US tomorrow, but I remember last time, the first US was so depressing (we only had 4 follicles showing any growth at that point), hoping this time we have at least four going, but I also know this US doesn’t tell us much about how many eggs we will have in the end. 

Infertility is SO fun for people who like being in control. Hahaha. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • *lurking*
    @PoeMasque I can't answer the question, but I know I felt no different on letrozole for my IUIs and really felt no different when on the progesterone suppositories. Like I know some people feel all these pregnancy-like symptoms during their TWW on the suppositories, but I felt no different except for maybe some extra bloating during my last IUI TWW. Maybe the same can be said with stims in that it's possible to not really feel any different.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @PoeMasque I didn't have any symptoms at all except for a little bit of "heaviness" in my abdomen towards the end of stims

@Knottie6ae57d064dfa7848 hoping you get some good news on your embryos!!

@lemondrop1976 congrats on being pupo!  When's your beta?

@akak23 how are things going with stims?  It's always a bummer to end up with less follicles than you expected, but 11 is definitely more than enough to work with.  

***pregnancy mentioned***

Me: 27/ DH: 29
    Dx:  obstructive azoospermia 
    IVF#1:  October 2015
    10/7/2015:  ER  11 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized w/ ICSI
    10/12/2015:  Transferred 5AA and 4AA blasts, froze one 4AA and 4BB
    Beta #1 9dp5dt:  122!!! BFP!
    Singleton, due June 2016

• Our retrievals are finished and we're just waiting for our transfer on Tuesday!  I'm pretty happy with the outcome.  I ended up with 14 mature out of 15 eggs and 9 fertilized!  Last IVF at 27, I had 8 mature and 7 fertilized.  Also, I'm extremely happy with the outcome of my husband's retrieval.  They were able to get sperm by only doing a needle aspiration and got enough extra to freeze 4 vials.  Last round, he had a microdisection surgery  in a which resultedl in of stitches, 3 days off work, and no extra sperm to freeze.  

Singleton, due June 2016

• @PoeMasque Thank you!

@caitiemae Thanks, my beta is 5/24. Congrats on your retrieval/ fertility results..they are great!
  • @caitiemae those numbers are awesome!! 

We also got good news at our US this morning. 6 measurable follicles (more than last time!) with 6 more showing growth, but not yet 10mm or more. Waiting for bloodwork to come back, but the RE said everything looks right on track for retrieval a week from today. He also said it’s looking like we can expect similar results to last time, which is great considering I’m older. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • akak23akak23 member
    So happy for you @caitiemae! Keep us posted on your transfer, sending positive thoughts 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I am triggering tonight, my RE expects we will have 4-5 mature eggs for the ER on Thursday morning. Less than last time and none made it to blastocyst, so I’m fighting the negative demons and trying to stay positive. It only takes one!

@PoeMasque where did you end up? Did any of your little guys catch up in size? 
  • @PoeMasque glad to hear things are looking good!  

@akak23 good luck!  It really does just take one!  Second round should hopefully get you better quality since your doctor's know how you respond to meds.  

We had one beautiful AA blast transferred today.  Doc said they froze 2 more and possibly have 1-2 that may possibly make it to blast overnight.  Feeling optimistic overall.  There was a rainbow this evening and I'm going to take it as a good sign.  There was a rainbow when I got engaged and on the day of my wedding.  And this will be my rainbow baby if it works out.  

Singleton, due June 2016

• @akak23 last scan showed 10 follicles between 9mm and 19mm (pretty much the same as last IVF cycle). Last scan before retrieval is tomorrow morning. Last time we had 6 out of 8 fertilize and only two made it to day 5, so I feel you on the worry about having none if less are retrieved. I’m 2 years older now (I’m 39, so age is a big deal for us) and I wonder if any will make it for us this round. There’s just no escaping that worry on this journey. Good luck on retrieval tomorrow! Keep us posted! Maybe a few more are hiding in there :)

@caitiemae congrats on being PUPO!! I didn’t feel hopeful immediately after any of our IUIs, but somehow I was super sure the last IVF round we did had worked (and it did!), so I think that feeling of hope/positivity is a good sign! 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque Good count and sizes, good luck tomorrow. I'm 42 and had 4 eggs, 3 fertilized normally but fresh transferred on day 3 so I know the journey to day 5 blast is the biggest challenge as we get older so I can only imagine if any of my embryos are still kicking knowing the odds.
  • akak23akak23 member
    Where did you end up @PoeMasque?? Do you have do you have a retrieval day yet?

@caitiemae what a beautiful sign! I totally believe in signs and think that the rainbow will be a good one for you. Let us know how you’re little embryo is progressing. Sending you so many good thoughts.

@lemondrop1976 where are you at? What are your next steps?

I had my egg retrieval this morning and ended up with 12 (don’t know how many are mature yet) definitely more than my RE or I expected! We will get an update tomorrow morning on if any/how many fertilized. This was the problem for us last time so I am trying to stay positive that this time those little guys will fertilize 🤞🏼🙏🏻
  • @akak23 12!!!! Fingers crossed for lots of mature and fertilized eggs tomorrow! 

We had our last scan this morning and we are on track for trigger tonight at 8pm with retrieval Saturday morning. Looks like we have 10 follicles between 12 and 19mm (perfect sizes for good eggs!) and 3 follicles between 9 and 11.6mm (probably too small to have mature eggs). 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • akak23akak23 member
    @PoeMasque this are great numbers - good luck tomorrow, you will do amazing! Keep us posted 🙏🏻🙏🏻

I got my results back this morning, 12 total eggs - 10 mature, 8 fertilized!!! I am on cloud 9 right now. I know that those little guys have a long way to go before becoming our baby, but I’m just happy to know that we have a chance this cycle. ♥️
  • @akak23 fantastic news!  Eight is a great number!  Praying those little embabies grow grow grow!

@PoeMasque good luck today!!  

Singleton, due June 2016

• @akak23 Great fertilization news!

My beta is 5/24.
  • @akak23 what amazing news! So happy for a good report!!

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • akak23akak23 member
    @caitiemae @lemondrop1976 thank you! 

@PoeMasque good luck today! We’re rooting for you! 
  • So I have one different symptom during this 2WW, I had what I think is indigestion for the past 2 nights. I wake up from sleeping with bad gas pressure in my chest. Usually the gas I accumulate from all the extra Progesterone stays in my stomach making me look 5months pregnant but this time around its decided to travel upwards too. Anyone else?
  • akak23akak23 member
    @lemondrop1976 I have never made it to the 2WW so I’m not sure... but you know your body, so if something different than what is normal for you is happening, I’m sure you know it. Did your RE recommend bed rest or less activity during this time? Sending you many positive thoughts during this long wait! 
  • @lemondrop1976 acid reflux (like what you’re describing) was my very first symptom with my first pregnancy (resulting in our son!), so I think it’s a good sign. I tested from 4dp5dt, two days of residual trigger and then the line got darker. How many days past transfer are you?

AFM: we got TEN eggs at retrieval today, I’m over the moon, but nervous for how many are mature and fertilize. We should know by tomorrow afternoon. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @akak23 Thank you! No bed rest recommendations from RE just no sex or heavy lifting and @PoeMasque

@PoeMasqueI hope the same applies to me🤞 I'm 7days past a fresh 3day transfer. I'm very doubtful at this point so this new symptom I guess is stringing me along this round. I'm too nervous to test mainly because I will be too disappointed and not want to continue the shots if I get a negative result which will be against my RE orders to wait until 5/24 for beta. 
  • akak23akak23 member
    Omg @PoeMasque I am SO excited for you! 10 is amazing!! Let us know how many are mature and fertilize! 

@lemondrop1976 I know it’s so hard to stay positive and hopeful so I am going to do it for you! Only the best thoughts for your little embryo.
  • @PoeMasque 10!  Congrats!!  Hoping you get a great fertilization report today!

I'm on day 5 of the TWW and can't wait much longer.  My beta isn't until Memorial Day.  I might start testing at home and if I don't get a positive, I might see if I can bump up my beta to Friday so I can at least drink my sorrows away over Memorial Day weekend.  

Singleton, due June 2016

• We just heard from the clinic, 7 mature and all 7 fertilized (and looking good!). No updates until weds, but we had 6 at this point last time, so I hope we will have at least one good one again. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque That's great news!
  • akak23akak23 member
    @caitiemae you are too funny! And I’d be asking the same dang thing lol!!!

omg @PoeMasque those are amazing numbers!! so happy for you! 
  • @caitiemae I did the same thing!  My beta wasn't scheduled until 14DP5DT which I thought was ridiculous and I could only make it to like 5DPT before I started testing and when they were negatives I had them bump it up to 9DPT.  Figured I could save myself the agony of p shots and also save the meds for next time!
    Me: 35 DH: 40
    TTC #1 since 3/2017
    Dx: MFI
    DH varicocele repair 4/2018
    ER #1: 2/20/19; 7R/7M/7F/1D5B/1D6B (participated in a study so lower med protocol)
    2/25/19: ET #1 BFN
    4/24/19: FET #1 BFN
    ER #2: 6/9/19; 10R/8M/6F/3D5B/3D6B
    2 PGS 'NORMAL' GIRLS, 1 'indeterminate' GIRL
    7/30/19 FET #2 (Transfer #3): BFP??! EDD 4/16/20
    9/16/19 MMC
    9/18/19 D&C

• @poemasque that's awesome news! 

So I gave in and bought some FRER tests.  I'll test this evening once my husband gets home.  I'm 7dp5dt now, which is when I tested after my FET and managed to get a positive even with a beta of only 29 two days later.  

Singleton, due June 2016

• @caitiemae Hope you have good news for us tonight! I'm still somehow refraining but not sure for how much longer...