September 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight 5/10: TOYS

What kinds of toys do you have/will you buy for your little one?

Also, Tf*ckingGIF!

Re: Product Spotlight 5/10: TOYS

• We were big fans of teethers (Sophie the giraffe, the munch mit, etc) and also crinkle toys! Those kept DS entertained for long periods of time. We also really like the Fisher Price rainforest activity mat. He laid under that thing allllll the time. Lots to look at and the toys were easy to remove to prevent over stimulation at first. We plan on using the same stuff with this LO. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• We didn’t buy toys for a loooooong time. We also don’t have many toys in our house even now (and virtually none that “make noise” because we can’t stand those ones!). Yup, we’re those kind of people. 😉

That being said, we have a skip hop activity mat. That was great for stimulation and also learning! I also printed out free high contrast black & white pictures that he loved to stare at also.

Quick side note: We are getting DS a balance bike for his 2nd birthday (at the end of this month!) and WE ARE SO EXCITED!!! He is going to flip the f*ck out!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @lillywonderland ahhh that's so exciting! My DS loves his balance bike! I am so excited it's finally warming up outside so he can finally ride it somewhere other than around the kitchen and living room lol. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• We also only really had the activity mat at first. We got the same one as @lillywonderland because I thought it was adorable - DS really liked it and we got a lot of use out of it. His first Christmas he was 4 months and was given some toys as gifts and it took him a while to be interested in those (and really he only started caring about stuffed animals at around 16 months), so when he started engaging with those toys I got him some more soft blocks and stacking stuff. We did buy a lovey but he never cared about it. We had a few teethers, including Sophie - I'd say he was marginally more interested in Sophie than the others but none were really standouts. I also am not a huge fan of toys that make noise but DS loves music and so when he was 8 or 9 months I got him a fairly (imo) obnoxious baby keyboard type toy to live exclusively in his pack n play so he could hang out there for a little while I did quick things like take stuff in and out of the oven/go to the bathroom alone. Totally worth the racket to have him happily occupied for a little while. He has the Baby Einstein take along tunes toy, and has always loved that (I think we got it when he was around 6 months) - he still plays with it. I also got him this for his first birthday:

he loves it and I could hear it all day and not get annoyed and I think he would have enjoyed it at a younger age too.
  • Basically zero here too. I mean the first time we ended up with a pile but all I'm doing this time is a few unfinished wood rattle type things and I have the original teddy tear, some organic German thing I paid a fortune for, haha. We did love our Montessori inspired mobiles which DS couldn't stop staring at.
  • Playmat. Crinkly stuff. We had a set of 4 crinkle blocks that were DS' favorite forever. Also recommend a soft mirror for tummy time.
  • We're pretty montesorri here, so we keep things minimal. For baby stage we had books and then a couple wooden teethers/ rattles and a Sophie, which he did not care about. 

Plan Toys, Hape, Janod, Manhattan Toys, are all favorite brands. Now Henry's 2 and VERY into trucks/cars so we've branched out some, but still try to stay with long term options. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Lmao guys I’ve been calling this “style” toy “Amish Toys... you know, the kind that are wooden and teach kids fine motor skills” 

no wonder people have been looking at me like I’m nuts and have no idea what I’m talking about. Because clearly, I don’t 
  • @nomangos23 I live in Amish Country and that’s what everyone calls them around here! That or minimalistic 
  • I have a lot of infant toys from my other two. I’m curious to see what he likes compared to my daughters. For the beginning I have a playmat with a piano at the end so they play music as they kick. Lots of toys that make that crunchy sound. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm hoping to keep the toys to a minimum and none that make noise. I have a hard enough time with noisy dog toys.

The wooden ones I LOVE. Do they hold up well to years of play? Are they easy to clean? Do I need to be worried about stains or paint when it inevitably goes in the mouth? 
  • @cheshyre319 This is what we do. For the first year I would go mostly unpainted and unfinished. Just have to keep wiped with water. Check out the Wooden Wagon, Palumba (Camden Rose), Maple Landmark and Elves and Angels . On Etsy CloverandBirch, LittleSaplingToys. Grimm's out of Germany is great. The stains are supposed to be safe but they did come off when washing. That being said we did also get some Haba/Plan Toy type stuff the first time.