October 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Favorite quick and easy meal

Meal Plan Monday isn’t always the most popular thread so I stole this idea from the August board. 

What’s your go-to meal to throw together when you don’t feel like cooking? 

Bonus points if it’s not something like spaghetti and meatballs or grilled cheese 😉 The idea is to give others new ideas they maybe haven’t tried before 

Re: GTKY: Favorite quick and easy meal

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agreed with @prpl11butterfly - lots of slow cooker meals are super easy/low prep. My fav is easy taco chicken:
    Put chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and salsa in slow cooker and cook on high 5 hours. Shred chicken and serve with taco fixings.
  • Options
    It's not really a recipe, but I buy the preseasoned pork chops & frozen veggies since it only takes 1 pan and a microwave. I'll also add in a salad (my grocery store sells premade salad kits) to add extra veggies.
    It's quick, easy clean up, and everyone is satisfied.
    Cooking anything elaborate is hard with 1 hot plate to cook on. 

DS lives on grilled cheese and PB&J sandwhiches so I make those while I'm cooking. 

#thanksHarvey 
    TTC #1 6/2011
    BFP #1 10/2012
    DS#1 born 6/2013

TTC#2 12/2013
    BFP#2 2/2019
    TWINS Baby Girl due October 20th, 2019.
       BabyGaga

• Options
    Cass005Cass005 member
    If I don't feel like cooking, I just let my husband do it....

In all seriousness probably spaghetti and meat sauce

• Options
    Our go-to during grilling season is kabobs. There's some chopping involved but it's pretty quick. We take a small steak, jalapeno cheddar brats, red onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini - chop them all into big pieces, skewer, drizzle with olive oil and season (I like to use my own steak seasoning blend on the whole shebang), grill em up and have at it! 
  • Options
    Paninis is another quick one! So many options. We buy the presliced Italian bread so it's even easier. I'm not sure it heats up the lunch meat to a "safe" temp but I've been eating lunch meat right along anyway so.....
  • Options
    We eat quesadillas pretty often. It’s not exactly grilled cheese :). Easy to add some beans or veggies. I like mine drenched in guacamole. 

A summer staple is grilled brats with sauerkraut and mustard. 

An easy pasta dish: while noodles are boiling (we typically use egg noodles for this), sauté some diced onions and microwave some frozen peas. Mix up the onion, peas, and a can of chicken (you could use tuna instead) with the noodles. Season with tarragon. Right before eating, stir in some Greek yogurt to make it creamy (we add the yogurt to individual servings because the leftovers heat up better without the yogurt). You could do mayo or sour cream instead of the yogurt. 

We do big salad days too: lettuce, whatever veggies we have, avocados, and a can of chickpeas. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yum these all sounds delicious!! We do hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes a lot. Or a quick stir fry!!
  • Options
    shrimp tacos with chipotle lime crema (easier than it sounds). defrost frozen shrimp and saute with whatever spices you have on hand... mix up yogurt, chipotle in adobo sauce (from a can, and it keeps well in fridge) and little lime juice... you have your sauce! now put it all on a tortilla. bonus points if you have any crispy veg in the fridge like cabbage, but works just as well without. 
  • Options
    @obsessedwithoranges I love fish tacos and that sauce sounds perfect!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @greenbean-2 it's so easy and it can go on so many things! you can even add a dash of cumin if you're feeling fancy. i've been all about the fish/ shrimp tacos because I'm still having a huge aversion to red meat. 
  • Options
    I’m with @greenbean-2 we do a lot of quesadillas, just add in what ever we have in the fridge as far as meats and veggies.  
  • Options
    There’s premade beef tips in gravy at the store. You can either microwave or warm on the stove. That over bread is super yummy. If I’m feeling ambitious I’ll make some mashed potatoes too.

Beef was one of the only things that didn’t make my stomach churn for awhile, so it was baby approved too!

My husband and I eat like children, so nothing we have is super out of the box! We’ve been going out to eat a ton lately...

• Options
    dogmom5dogmom5 member
    I’ll just take chicken breasts or pork chops, put some olive oil and other seasoning on them in the Dutch oven pan and throw them in the oven and have some frozen veggies as a side. I also buy the bag of onions and green,red,yellow peppers from aldi, cut them up and freeze them (separately) so if I ever need some onion or pepper to cook with, it’s already cut up and ready to go.
  • Options
    One of my fast, easy meals with minimal/pantry ingredients is pasta carbonara. Eggs, bacon, freshly grated parmesan and spaghetti. Delicious as is and lots of various modifications for what you ha e on hand, peas, kale, grated lemon zest. 
  • Options
    cheznetcheznet member
    I'm a big quesadilla person, and put peppers or basil or tomatoes in them. But I've also been liking leftover burritos. If there are leftovers in the fridge that would make sense in a burrito or a wrap, plus grated cheese (we don't buy grated cheese, we grate the block), heat the leftovers up in a pan, maybe add a can of black beans and wrap it up in the tortillas. I don't usually like leftovers unless I do something to make them more interesting. :)
  • Options
    This is my go-to quick, easy and healthy, one-pot meal. I make it in the instant pot, and use a different noodle (orecchiette sticks together in the instant pot), but other than that I pretty much follow it to the letter.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/orecchiette-pasta-with-chicken-sausage/

*TW in Spoiler*BabyFetus Ticker

Me 39 - DH 41

Married 8/26/07

TTGP #1 Jan '15 - 

BFP 9/11/15 - DS born 5/31/16

TTGP #2 July '17 -

CP July '17

Blighted Ovum MC Dec '17

CP June '18

BFP 1/30/19 - EDD 10/13/19

• Options
    Definitely tacos or meat loaf are my favorites but SO won't eat the meatloaf so I have to make it small.
    +1 on simple quesadillas, shrimp or chicken with refried beans, maybe peppers and onions and cheese, topped with sour cream. @obsessedwithoranges I'm definitely going to try that chipotle lime crema. It sounds delicious!
    I also love that my grocery often has the pre-marinated fish, pork or chicken portions you can just throw in the oven or on the grill. A side of mac n cheese or smashed potatoes with frozen veggies are quick go to's in the household as well.
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • Options
    @obsessedwithoranges we’re trying that sauce on fish tacos tonight! I made the sauce last night, but added in way too many peppers and had to split the sauce in 2 and add a bunch more yogurt to my half to make a sauce that isn’t too spicy for me (DH can eat the too spicy one). But it tastes really good!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cluckymama We also do hamburg gravy (that's what we call it too!), but ours is over "pasta ribbons" (egg noodles, but no cholesterol) and add in some corn.

@marbellie I recently made sloppy joe pasta DS loved it so much that he had 5 servings (probably more like 1ish adult serving)!

I definitely love stuffed pepper casserole. https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/recipe/one-pan-stuffed-pepper-casserole/  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Options
    Costco’s pre made street taco kit... 

Also sous vide steak or chicken- throw chicken or steak in a ziplock with seasoning over night, throw bags in a pot with the sous vide stick at 3pm, finish on the grill or skillet for 3 minutes a side around 6-7pm... I usually do these with asparagus or mashed cauliflower. 
  • Options
    @sweetteaandswingsmama I’ve looked at the sous vide stick for my IP in the past.  Do you mind sharing what brand you have and would you recommend it? Does it work well?
  • Options
    @sweetteaandswingsmama I’ve looked at the sous vide stick for my IP in the past.  Do you mind sharing what brand you have and would you recommend it? Does it work well?
    We have a Anova Culinary one from Amazon and it is amazing. Our friends recommended the Joule but it’s not as budget friendly unless you get a decent sale so we ended up getting the Anova and it’s great! 

Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker | Bluetooth | 800W | Anova App Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UJx3Cb5PVCYA3
  • Options
    @telicious2 yum! I’ll have to try it over noodles!!
  • Options
    geminigirl16geminigirl16 member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks @sweetteaandswingsmama!! I’ll take a look at those. I’d really like to get one.