September 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 5/4: Formula and/or feeding accessories

Hi everyone! This week’s product spotlight is all about baby formula and any other accessories or supplies that go with feeding. 

Are you planning to formula feed or supplement? Pump and dump? What kinds of bottles/nipples are best? 

Re: Product Spotlight 5/4: Formula and/or feeding accessories

• Options
    Link to spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12W-wdzJDfeyz4DBXRWUkr2b4PPkpHQ7G_RiVLWTaHCo

Sorry for being late on this; we had an all day field trip yesterday that left me exhausted. 
  • Options
    After a rocky road with BFing with DS, I FF most of his first year, from the beginning with DD, and am going to again with this baby.

DS needed a special premie formula for the first several months. We used Similiac Neosure. Then Similac Advanced when the pedi cleared us. DD always used Similac Advanced. We used Avent classic bottles and nipples. I'm planning to use those again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I lucked out with breastfeeding with my son. I did drink teas and eat the cookies that helped with milk production, and at times felt I had just enough. I also had to drink tons of water and eat a whole lot of food to keep up the milk production. I worked part time, and he drank breast milk from the Medela bottles fairly well (the ones you just pump into).I stored milk in the freezer in those bottles or sometimes mason jars. If I had been working full time, I would have needed an option for storage aside from the bottles. He would often take little milk while I was gone and then would feast when I returned (talk about ultimate Mom guilt trip)!

Am I supposed to buy new nipples for the bottles this time around? Or can I wash them in the dishwasher and call it good!? 

Glad this thread is here. I’ll have something to check back on if I need formula this next time. 

Also, I’m looking into whether I will be getting a new pump, I’m out of the loop on that one, but we had that thread several weeks back!
  • Options
    I breastfed DS for 8 weeks before my IUD made my milk dry up. I know a lot of doctors say that doesn’t cause your milk to dry up, however it was the only factor that changed. I didn’t realize how unhappy I was breastfeeding until i was forced to formula feed. It was eye opening and liberating. For this reason I’m choosing to formula feed from the start. We used similac advance with no issues so plan on using it again. I like the dr brown bottles! 
  • Options
    @blitzybee I read that you were supposed to replace the nipples but could reuse bottles when I was pregnant with DD. But then I read that you should replace both so idk. I am replacing both.
  • Options
    @mommyshark13 glad I stored all of the bottles and nipples all of these years!🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    I highly recommend signing up on Enfamil and Similac’s websites because they send you free samples and coupons.

I was very lucky I was able to BF for 18mo. Once I went back to work (when DS was 3.5mo) my supply tanked. I worked so incredibly hard to keep it up (teas, boobie bites, power pumping and pumping before my bedtime) and TBH I prolly won’t be able to this time. Dunno what formula we’ll use (if we have to).

We used the avent Natural bottles. I only ever got the small bottles and DS was happy with that. I used the Lansinoh milk storage bags - they froze flat and stored better than the Medela ones. I was planning on reusing the bottles but replacing the nipples, but might have to rethink my plan now. Oof.

We use the boon lawn for our drying rack with the boon twigs and flowers for “accessories”. I also use the boon washing thingy (it’s a flower also) to wash the bottles.
  • Options
    sahm89sahm89 member
    I had no idea we had to replace bottle parts after a couple years! 😟

I struggled a lot with BF my first(bloody cracked nipples for the first month or more), but my second was a complete BF dream - praise the Lord. I used formula to supplement with both when needed, and used an organic formula blend...I think mainly Earth’s Best since it was one of the only brands like that out there 4 & 5 years ago. I plan to BF with this one, but will buy some formula before she’s born just to be safe. I guess I need to buy new bottles too?

I used Playtex Nursers with the vent & the drop-in kind. My kids loved their nipples and I didn’t experience nipple confusion with them & gas was kept to a minimum since the drop-in liner style kept the air bubbles out.

I tried 3-4 different milk storage bags and fell in love with the Nuk brand because they were easy to write the date on, had a smooth double seal, poured nicely into bottle, and thawed quickly in warm water when frozen.

I second the Boon Lawn! 🙂 I took it out of the tray and put it on a microfiber towel or drying mat bc the tray collected water and such.
  • Options
    Do you ladies recommend registering for bottles and things like that or should I wait to buy all that stuff once I know how BFing is going?
  • Options
    @themadcamel I exclusively breastfed but I still registered for a few bottles. I would do some 4 or 5oz ones. 
  • Options
    sahm89sahm89 member
    @themadcamel you might be good with getting the free baby registry bags at your choice of stores. Target, Amazon & the Noobie box have bottles in them 🙂 just a thought.
    Or like @septoctkids said, registering for a couple different 4oz bottles is a good idea.
  • Options
    @themadcamel Some kids don’t take to certain bottle / nipple styles, so you could literally try 10 bottle styles until you find the one your kid likes...especially if they’re exclusively BF. (My nephew was this way). I recommend to have a bottle or two on hand if you are going to try BFing.

We got really lucky and just tried the free bottle (avent natural) that I had gotten in some free goodie bags. I just got a Target registry bag yesterday and it came with a Dr. Brown and Avent Natural. 

• Options
    I nursed both but went back to work at 9 weeks, so pumped for that.  DS did not latch for the first 2 months so I exclusively pumped and he took whatever bottle he was given, so I just used the medela ones.   DD was a rockstar nurser and refused pretty much all bottles. We tried so many and finally settled on the tommee tippee, but still wasn't super good with that one.  It had to be super hot and only 1 teacher at daycare could feed her.  At home, there was no way she would take a bottle.  All that to say I would register for a couple 4 oz bottles in different brands to find out what works for you. 

I also liked the lanisoh bags to use in the freezer. 
  • Options
    I really liked the Avent Natural bottles. I got a few in freebie bags and he liked them, so I boguht them. I may get the glass version this go. I also liked the Joovy glass, BUT...they woudl leak sometimes. Not cool.

Registered and got Como Tomo, was not a fan. Found the size awkward and they often leaked. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @septoctkids @sahm89 @lillywonderland Thanks ladies! I will collect some samples and register for a couple of bottles.
  • Options
    Meant to add, I'm hoping to succesfully BF for the first year this time (as opposed to 8w last time). I work though so I'll have to pump and bottle feed. I'd nurse when home though if that works. 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    We supplemented with formula after a rocky start breastfeeding (DS had a bad latch, I had enormous difficulty pumping and gave up trying, so my supply never quite got where it needed to be to breastfeed exclusively), and switched to just formula when he was 10 months following a nursing strike where my supply dried up entirely. We used Enfamil formula at first, but around the time we switched exclusively to formula we got a Costco membership and switched to the Kirkland brand. DS did fine on both, and seemed to like both equally. We were lucky not to struggle with nipple confusion, and he didn't seem picky about bottles either. We used the munchkin latch bottles along with the avent sample bottle we'd gotten, and I liked them both. I'm planning to bf this time around, and hoping it goes smoother, but will have some formula on hand just in case.
  • Options
    I had a horrific breastfeeding experience that sent me down a pretty bad PPD spiral so I am really nervous to even attempt it this time. I want to just in case it actually works this time, but I think if I do I will likely throw in the towel at the first sign of her not gaining enough and if pumping gets me nothing like last time. I'm going to have some formula on hand and will make sure to have a couple bottles as well. I am likely going to get a Baby Brezza if we do formula feed since I'm lazy and pushing a button to get a bottle in the middle of the night sounds like a dream. 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    @zuuls_mom A Baby Brezza is a dream come true! I have been strongly considering one too.